Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213141516171819 -> <- 1 .. 16 .. 19 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I'm kinda new to the whole speedrunning thing, but what would a no-items run be classified as? Low percent?
1-Up!
We would classify it as a "challenge run" and wouldn't accept it.
Edit history:
Raiker Z: 2011-12-30 08:45:24 am
EDIT: Decided to cut out all the crying this post had, a few random comments based on my new routes, nothing life changing, you are free to ignore this edit.

1-1: 453: XXX

1-2: 454: XXX

1-3: 449: Messed up fun strat, but the triple jump method is mostly still in 26:01

1-Cannon: XXX

5-1: 443: My way of getting the star puts me in a worse position, but still it is 99% consistent, compared with the jump up and pray method.

5-P-Plant – 92 is possible, just a bit riskier.

5-2: 446: XXX

5-T: 520: XXX

5-4: 348: XXX

5-G 568: I was a noob before, keeping the prop is needed for 8-1, getting a 569 is possible, I'm sad I didn't get it in the 26:01.

5-Cannon: I suck at this cannon.

8-1: 418: The pattern in this level has been discovered, it is just more consistent to lose the prop. Until I get better at 8-2 and 8-A when starting with the prop, I'll stick with the new strat.

8-2: 416: 417 is a possibility without the prop, but I haven't confirmed it since this post.

8-7: 334: XXX

8-A: 355: I have the secrets to this level, now to practice with the prop.

8-C: I have this level mostly down, pre-Bowser rooms will remain the same, the time loss isn't major and is a lot less risky. The fireballs I am not above hiding like a little girl, but if I think that the 2 second save is worth it, I'll still try. The ending fight/run may not be perfected, but I am getting better.

XXX Any help would still be appreciated, but I'm not gonna whine like last time, I can and will find these strats sooner or later.
Been awhile since I've posted here, nothing new on the SS front, still haven't gotten a good world 8 and school hasn't been kind to long attempts.

But one of my projects I finished, a warpless route/run~

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0898CD4186477F23

That should link to the playlist, it was done in 1:39:13, quality is probably the same as the 27:08 SS, its good, but I'm not doing the best times for the levels, and I really should've practiced some a bit more. Quality wise though, it woudln't be to farfetched to try to SS with these times. Sadly most of the route/level planning was me so someone else may have a faster/more consistent way through. Also my Bowser Castle still is terrible Sad

Last but not least, if you notice a star that I pass up that you think could save time, post on youtube or here.

Two I know I passed are:

3-2 star- When I was recording that particular video, I was struggling with certain parts of the star and was getting slower times with it. It ends up saving 2 in-game seconds though, it doesn't save more because you still have to slow down with it to clear a gap using a bullet bill.

4-2 second star- At the end if you have a star powerup you can get a second one from a coin block near the end of the level, it ends up costing a second though :\ I would get it during a SS though because it saves you from a fish that seems to hit me more often then not, but thats just me.

I think I got the other stars I know about, so if you know of one I missed that is helpful, please tell me~   
So.  100% two player run.

Any interest?
In the infinite
There would be a lot of interest if you and someone else plan to do it Wink

Segmented 100% route is in the first post, but it may need review/testing (Not sure if 2p would change the route at all)
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-12-07 12:04:02 pm
Glide: 2011-12-06 05:11:42 pm
Glide: 2011-12-06 05:11:05 pm
Glide: 2011-12-06 05:10:43 pm
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Appreciate the heads up, but we've got our own route figured out.  Segment 1 we finished last night, and I just need to rip the video from the DVD to put on Youtube so I can share it with you all.

EDIT:

Oh, would you look at that.  I'll just leave this here.

General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
^ That fist 2P 100% segment is pretty good.  World 1-3 third star coin get/cannon exit was smooth.
destroy them with lazers
Impressive stuff. Looking forward to seeing more.
Everybody DANCE!
Great start!  Keep it up!
THIS RUN CONTAINS SECRET WORLDS
Whoever uploaded that video just earned a subscription. I'm with the three guys above me, this is potentially amazing stuff and we are eager to see this run progress.
I'm with Sillygramcracker on this ^.^ subbed and waiting for part 2.

Since Pokemon Snap was being a jerk to me I was playing around on NSMBW I finally managed to use a propeller skip on 2-6, and getting the star coins while doing this is really simple. I think it'll be easier on 2P, but it's something you'd probably want to check out.

I'm getting there. 5-G had the big mistake this time, an accidental spin lost me 3 in-game seconds, which would've put me under 26. 8-2 had an irritating mistake, but I continued the run, I still need work with 8-C, but this was my second best run through it, and much better then I've ever done, non IL.

UCPro, if you still have interest to break 26, I think you'll be interested in 5-4 (same route as the 27:08) and my 5-G. It wasn't perfect by any means, but there is a jump in the second room I think you'd be interested in.

This will be my last attempt for a bit, I'm gonna put in some practice time and try to work on the any% a bit, hopefully my next attempt I'll be confident enough at 8-2 and 8-A to not purposely throw away my prop in 8-1, if not, no big deal, losing the prop costs 10 seconds or less really.
Wow, that was a solid run!  unless i'm mistaken, wouldn't this be a 25:49 (1:24-27:13 in your vid)???  i think that's based on how my segmented run was timed, but i could be wrong....it's been a while since i timed my run.  Although, if it was a 25:49 i don't know how my segmented run would only be 11 seconds faster than your SS run (bowsers castle alone was close to 11 seconds slower than what my segmented run was).  REGARDLESS on how the timing works, this is a very submit worthy run and i'm not sure why more people aren't giving you praise for the quality of what you did here.  Maybe they haven't noticed yet????  Yeah there are some mistakes here and there, BUT, it is very very clean throughout the whole run and this is miles ahead of what anyone has come up with to this point as far as SS runs go.  Very amazing work!!
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
I'm giving praise, I'm giving praise.  Had to get logged in.  It really is a great run Raiker.  I agree with UCpro that it is submittable.  Unless of course you're going to give it a few tries to improve....
Yes
This run was amazing.  If you need to take a little break for a while you should definitely consider submitting this.
Edit history:
Raiker Z: 2012-01-06 05:12:44 pm
Raiker Z: 2011-12-31 03:25:39 am
Raiker Z: 2011-12-31 03:25:39 am
Raiker Z: 2011-12-31 03:25:13 am
Raiker Z: 2011-12-31 12:01:54 am
I've been timing by the first viewing of the overworld which is the first point your in the game. If its from first control, then this is a sub 26, it all depends on when you start timing. As for an improvement I do plan to, but not for awhile, I'll try making an attempt at submitting, I have the DVD saved and I can try converting to mp4 or avi for submission. I'll talk to Flip? sometime this week, unless something comes up.

EDIT: As for the time from Mario control I think it comes out to around roughly 25:50, if that's how SDA plans to time the run I can find the exact number, but if they do from first sight of the overworld then I'll keep it as 26:01.

EDIT 2: Time from Mario control makes it 25:49, since this adds up close to the seconds dropped estimate (22 in-game seconds slower then the segmented which comes out around 16.5 real seconds, this would make roughly 25:54.5 the time estimate) sadly this is also about in the middle of the two time estimates (~6.5 seconds away from 26:01 and ~5 seconds from 25:49)

I'll probably post on tech support or wherever for video/audio quality (Not in wmv this time) sometime this weekend, and if all pans out I'll try and contact Flip next weekend.
So I put up a quality test on a level, and it looks crappy. I'm going to look at the VOB file that anri-chan rips off the dvd, but I'm pretty sure my problem is my computer and not the file. I have a couple year old laptop that I did this on, and while it works fine with windows live movie maker, I think it can't handle anri-chan. It took several hours doing HQ and honestly it came out worse then the wmv. The person who commented on my test also said something about using a better quality setting, so when I work on improvements I'll try that too.

For now anyone have any suggestions for getting this run up, I know the video isn't as bad as the quality test shows and I do still have the DVD that the run is on (unlike PM where I took the file off and then re-used the dvd). I do plan to try to improve this, but I don't know when I'll get around to that, so if there is a way to submit this one I'd like to try.

Quality Test link: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/new_super_mario_bros._wii_quality_test.html

A few more notes before I go:

1. I have improved 5-1, I now can consistently do the vine jump at the end so now I average around 445, I have yet to get a 446 (and I think because of how I get the star I can't get that) but it may be possible.

2. I have also improved 5-4, I have been working on an improvement to my cannonless practice runs and I started getting my best time (350) consistently, and finally I got 351's on it. I'm not perfect at getting either of those, but expect to see a 350 in 5-4 when I improve the run.

3. I have yet to reach world 8 for major practice, but while doing something to cure the monotony of just practicing any%'s I managed to finally get down 8-A with propeller starts, so now I don't do worse with propellers on that level. ^.^

4. I got bored and ran across a "records" site when looking for ways to improve the run. Most of everything on the site didn't help, but I decided to go through and record my times for fun, and during that learned several tricks. Most of which don't help in the least with an any%, but will be amazing with cannonless any% and 100%. I hope sooner or later to get a cannonless SS to submit and going through working on this has helped me get better at least in execution Cheesy

Link: http://www.wii-records.com/en-us/records.php?game_id=965

Only real downside is I can't use a star start and penguin through most of these levels like I can for that site, but still my world 4 (outside of 4-4) has improved dramatically. 4-1 and 4-2 are both almost as consistent as world 1 and 5, 4-T is still mostly just RNG luck, 4-G I don't think I can improve there anymore, but like 4-2 it was pretty consistent in the first place, and I have found a semi-reliable strat to get a prop from the multi-block in 4-C (although I think my best run was peng/damage instead of a prop ending).

That's all my news, my cannonless improvement (which is really just a route/strat test) is in the middle of world 6, although I haven't started uploading them to youtube yet, after world 8 I'll begin any% attempts again, since right now I think my biggest issue is getting consistent there. Sub 26 (25:48?) would be nice.
aka Darthanien
Sorry if this may have been asked already, but any desire to do a 100% run of NSMBW?
Glide posted a first segment for 2P 100%, but so far no news on how that is working out.

Haven't heard anything about a 1P 100%, and I'm still busy playing around with any% cannonless (although not like I can submit anything anyway).
Edit history:
Raiker Z: 2012-02-09 08:29:20 pm
I submitted another quality test which hopefully comes back good enough to go for, but if not then I still plan on trying for an improvement, I'm feeling better about 8-C.

Few comparisons:

World 1: I'd accept a 454 from 1-2 and a 449 from 1-3, I think those are acceptable since 1-2 is mostly the moveable platforms, and 1-3 is a single jump that causes the difference, the total time should be within a second easy enough.

World 5: 5-1 I'm averaging 445's now, but still no luck on 446 recovering my 5-G, keeping everything else solid and getting 5-4 to 350 should be easy enough (351 is my new PB for 5-4 and I can do 350 easy enough now)

World 8: I think I'm sticking with the plan I have for early world 8, while working on improvements I found I lose the prop in 8-2's beginning area more often then I lose it in 8-1! Since I'll probably end up losing the prop anyway, I can have an easier 8-1 while I do it. 8-C I'm still practicing but I'm getting better at the triple jump, I think I'll allow 1 missed fireball and the safe strat through the fireball room before Bowser and still break 500 I'm thinking with my current route for the beginning section of the game my best time is a 509.

If I lose a second in world 1, but have a strong world 5 and save a second or two, hopefully I can end this under 25:55 (my goal) timing estimate from Mario control would be 25:43 or less.

EDIT: Quality test came out fine.

I got a 25:36 run today, but I think it may be between 25:40 and 25:45 because it glitched out a few times. It desynched sound and video on 1-3 for a second, it probably did this a couple of times throughout the run (I'll admit it I got pissed and stopped watching once I saw it do that, so I'm not 100% sure it it happened elsewhere). Now I not only have to get myself to get a good run, but I apparently have to hope this coincides with my recording not crapping out on me. I had a shaky 5-2, and a sub-par last few seconds of 8-C but I finished at 444 in 5-2 and 501 in 8-C, EVERY OTHER LEVEL was par or better then par, including 8-A and a new personal best with my strat on 8-1 and 8-7... This run... damn wish I could've submitted, or at least posted on youtube.

Figured I'd update you guys with it, I'll try this weekend again, I'm going to try cleaning my computer right before I run next time, and try shutting down anything not necessary to running my laptop so that there is as little as possible to mess with the DVD recorder.

Times for the dead run:
1-1: 453
1-2: 455
1-3: 450
5-1: 445
5-P: 92
5-2: 444
5-T: 519
5-4: 350
5-G: 569
8-1: 430
8-2: 417
8-7: 338
8-A: 360
8-C: 501

In-Game seconds ahead of my 25:49 (26:01) - 18 ~ 17 behind UCPro's segmented. (Considering I think saving costs about 3-5 seconds and there are 4 saves it is possible that this run could have beaten it)
As I mentioned this weekend I spent... a lot of time trying to get a run.

I had 4 runs get to 8-C and completed one of them, but the sound was either never recorded, or got corrupted. I'm leaning on the first, which makes... two runs that have now broken 26 mins that stupid mistakes have cost me from being able to post. I'm thinking sub 25:55 will be a submittable run, this last one was 25:52, which when you take what we think SDA timing is brings it to a 25:40 run.

The run had a couple mistakes (5-G, 8-A, 8-C) but overall it was a freaking insane run, not quite at the dead run above for overall time, because that one was a really solid run, the only real mistake in it was 5-2 (8-C I always fail, that 501 is my best time)

A few things to note:

My 5-1 is better, I can now get 446's, my method makes it harder to get them, but it is possible I think the difference in positioning for the star costs me a small chunk of time, but the consistency is something I prefer.

8-1 I now have a route to get 431's consistently, generally if I don't get that I'll end up dead or low 420's, so expect it, although 430 is still probable.

I'm fairly consistent at getting 92's on the piranha plant now, not perfect but I am much, much better.

8-7 I have now proven to be able to get 339's without the propeller, I doubt I'll end up with that in whatever run I get that is submittable, but it could happen.

Finally my 8-C I estimate would be best at 508 or 509, due to issues I doubt I'll get that, but with almost every other level with me within 1, or better at, 8-A is a wildcard between 358 and 362, so a 505 would balance my overall time lost to around 10 in-game seconds (~7.5 seconds) which with the lack of me saving means I can make two or three general mistakes (basically non death/non prop loss) and still cut 26 if my 8-C can break 505.

If I have spare time I'll figure out what went wrong (I probably hit a mute setting or something on accident during my marathon of runs) and try to get a good time this week, if not I'll update this when something new comes up.
Hope you'll get the recording issues sorted soon - it really stinks to lose runs like that.

Definitely looking forward to the run though!  It's extremely impressive that you're getting so close to UCpro's segmented run in a single segment.  This'll definitely deserve to stand next to the other 2D Mario runs on the site.
Yeah, figured it out, there are two screens in my recorder's capture setup that can mute the audio, and the first one was muted, can't remember when this happened, as far as I know it's always been like that, but it "should" work now, at least my latest recording has sound again.

Going to practice 8-7 a bit, found a couple of ideas that I'm hoping can put me at 340 without propeller. Not 100% sure when I'll be free enough to do more run attempts, but hopefully next time I get sub 25:55 I won't lose it to losing some video, or audio in the recording.

Question for anyone: What can you think of that I could do that would be entertaining during 8-7, but remain low-risk. I grab the star coins, but honestly the stage is pretty boring.
Edit history:
Raiker Z: 2012-02-21 12:12:27 am

This is for Glide/Anyone else who plans a 100%, it's my submission for a challenge of NSMBW but the part that holds interest for 100% or 2-P runs is the second half. The penguin suit doesn't only shine in ice and water levels, it is the fastest method of moving on land outside of a star, and it is pretty noticeable. I can't use it at all in an any%, and I do in cannonless, but it isn't abused as much (although I do plan to see if it is worth keeping the peng for 5-1 and 5-2 since it is faster with the penguin for those levels; and then manipulating a prop in a toad house, probably not, but worth a check). For a 100% it may be more abuse-able, and for 2 players; one can keep the peng and one can keep the prop for a cannonless, although 100% you'd have to pick and choose which to keep for mini pipe levels and whatnot.