page  <- 12345678910111213141516171819 -> <- 1 .. 15 .. 19 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Source?
I don't have a source from Nintendo but a scene group was able to dump it and they said it's a different version.
http://wii.ds-scene.net/?s=viewtopic&nid=8235
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from ZeroGX:
Hey guys, Nintendo did an update to New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Apparently this is what the scene group posted:
This first update fixes several bugs, addresses community complaints, and implements a few new Mario cheats.

What caught my eye was Mario cheats. Could it have any advantages to the run?

depends on what exactly is fixed, and what exactly they mean by cheats.
439 - World 1-3 (alt)

Mistakes were made with the Helicopter suit.

446 - World 1-2

This wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

0:03.55 - World 1-Cannon
GWAHAHAHAHA!
352 - World 1-6

This went well. I can't see any improvements in this, but it can be improved.
These are any%, correct? Because I got 350 on 1-6 with getting all 3 star coins as well.
1-Up!
Quote from HackJack:
352 - World 1-6

Quote from neskamikaze:
These are any%, correct? Because I got 350 on 1-6 with getting all 3 star coins as well.

lol this is why it's a good idea to post videos, HackJack.  There must be an improvement somewhere.
GWAHAHAHAHA!
Quote from Flip:
Quote from HackJack:
352 - World 1-6

Quote from neskamikaze:

lol this is why it's a good idea to post videos, HackJack.  There must be an improvement somewhere.

any%. And I'll get a vid up by Halloween. Someone else got 356.
super mario is amazing
all right, the most amazing project ever would be a multiplayer 100% of this game. I will start with a few tips if anyone wants to take a crack at it.

-Bosses can be hit w/ a double ground pound (haven't tested it on every, but works on the boss of 3-Tower/castle.
-suiciding for star coins possible (coin 3 of 2-1, coin 3 of 3-1, coin 3 of 3-3, coin 3 of 9-7 if needed)
-carry/jump/shake for high star coins/platforms.
-red coin rings/toad coins could be used for items, because they're a lot easier to get with multiple people.
-trick for one player as a certain item: make them mario, drop everyone else, use the item, bring everyone back. but that could take too long to be useful.
Edit history:
stanski: 2011-01-20 10:51:05 pm
stanski: 2011-01-20 10:50:52 pm
wise fwom yo gwave
Been messing around with 100% single segments, and wondering if anyone can answer if there is any way to know the patterns of the toad houses (i.e. if there are a set number of patterns) to get power ups or not? The penguin suit saves an incredible amount of time in some stages, and so does the spinner, so it would be nice if i could get these when I want them in toad houses. Single segment there are some mistakes that are going to happen obviously, but mostly i'm just shooting to keep improving my times on it/cut down on deaths to the point where there aren't any, but its sort of frustrating that the suits save a bunch of time in some stages but can only be accessed if i get lucky in the toad stool house (its mostly worth it time wise but there are some places where even this is close).

I'm really hoping there is some sort of pattern or something that i'm missing. I need to map out exactly how many penguin suits and helicopters i need to save time, pretty much every other power up i need i get in the stage itself. Its fun watching my times go down and coming up with new refinements, plus single segment adds the challenge of everything not going right in a multi hour speedrun and adapting on the fly. I really enjoy it and hope that i can keep improving my times. If it turns out the toad houses are random, then I will just probably go to a couple and hope i can save enough time to make it worth it even if i don't get amazing luck.
1-Up!
I know for a fact that there are a finite number of patterns, because I farmed items in world 7 after I beat the game, and got to the point where i recognized most of the screens.  Problem is I don't know if there is any information beyond that, but I would suppose so.
Gamefaqs is your friend!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960544-new-super-mario-bros-wii/faqs/58356

100% run would be nice to see. Good luck with your attempts!
Quote from Tompa:
Gamefaqs is your friend!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960544-new-super-mario-bros-wii/faqs/58356

100% run would be nice to see. Good luck with your attempts!

wow, that's pretty awesome!  Looks like you got what you asked for stanski Smiley
I know there was a 100% segmented route somewhere in this thread, but how good it was is questionable, and plus besides for the power-ups needed it's irrelevant. The only route planning thing I can remember about this game is to make sure to have the penguin for 1-4 and keep it for 1-6. Ice is really helpful in 1-6, and then there is a propeller power-up in 1-5. Good luck to you on this stanski, and if you ever put up level planning videos I'd love to see them.
Edit history:
stanski: 2011-01-21 09:44:05 am
wise fwom yo gwave
Thank you very much tompa! Now I can actually map out a better route than the one i'm currently using, it will require a bit of testing to see where else power ups will be useful. I have a few cool ideas for how to go through some levels that I feel should work out if i just practice them more but right now are pretty inconsistent. Hopefully in the next month or 2 i can iron down a route that I feel is good, I will be posting more about this in the next few days.
Edit history:
Mr. Piggy: 2011-01-21 09:33:51 pm
Mr. Piggy: 2011-01-21 05:34:21 pm
In the infinite
My 100% segmented route is in first post, but you should definitely test it before using it to see if I missed anything (I don't think I put penguin suit in the route a couple of times where it was needed) Also I haven't played this game in forever, so idk if there are any differences in route between SS & segmented. Good luck Stanski; the any% was great, and I'd love to see a 100% run.
I guess I should put this on here, I don't think I'll submit it though.

Go to the youtube page to read a level by level account. Its only 27:08 could've been sub 27 but I had a little bad luck at the end.
Quote from Raiker Z:
I guess I should put this on here, I don't think I'll submit it though.

Go to the youtube page to read a level by level account. Its only 27:08 could've been sub 27 but I had a little bad luck at the end.

hmmm, i'll have to watch this later tonight.  Curious to see how this looks....i had a goal of submitting when i got sub 26, but gave up cause my best was only 26:15 (or somewhere around there), and i didn't think that was a good run.  Glad to see someone working on this though Smiley might inspire me to get back into this
It was a decent run, but I missed several tricks and I use different methods in some areas. I think you'll be interested in 5-4 if your still using the route in the segmented, I found a quicker way. 5-1 8-1 and the final Bowser fight were way ugly though :(. This isn't working on it as much as I started racing it and I've been playing around with routes and getting consistant at some tricks. I doubt I'll try to go for a better time unless I wake up and feel like recording again.
1-Up!
Really glad to see somebody is working on doing this game SS.

Warpless or 100% runs would be awesome too. Hopefully we have those someday...
My best time SS Cannonless was 2:08, but it had well over 10 deaths (like I stopped counting my deaths in world 6) but on srl there are a few nsmbw races mostly any% world 2. If you'd like Flip I could record a world-by-world video run of my any% route, I still need to practice in some areas (World 8 SS is just, ugh). But I was thining of making one anyway just to guess what a good time would be and to look for anything that I could do to fix my route.

http://www.youtube.com/user/IzikiZara

My last two videos show some levels that I thought looked cool. Both are extremely long autoscrollers, and both are ones that I "should" have a propeller for when I reach them. Right now my weak worlds are 4,6, and 8. But thanks to srl's boring races I'm really, really consistant at 1 and 2.
THIS RUN CONTAINS SECRET WORLDS
@Flip: Considering that this is the third or fourth sequel to SMB3, one of the most popular games ever (both for speedrunning and in general), a 100% and any% without warps are inevitable. It's sort of like how most runners prefer speedrunning OoT and its clones (MM, WW, and TP) more than the other Zelda games by virtue of the fact that OoT is often considered one of the "greatest game[s] ever". I, for one, am also looking forward to the time when someone completes a 100% run of NSMBWii.

With that said, has anyone who is very experienced with this game looked over Mr. Piggy's route lately? (It's still on the first post.)
Edit history:
Raiker Z: 2011-09-04 10:45:15 pm
I have the first four worlds for the any% warpless route, this is more of a rough sketch then anything and I'm trying to treat it like a good single-segment over just planning it out as a segmented run. I'm already thinking of a few changes for world's 3 and 4, but I'd like to see how the rest of this planning goes. If anyone has comments I'd love to hear them, there is more detail in the video comments.

@Silly: I've looked over Mr. Piggy's route a little, but I can't really comment much on it considering he's planning a segmented heavy run. The first thing to note is that he should only get at most 1 star coin in 1-3 the first time through. The first star coin could probably be gotten without a change in time, and using the yoshi for the second two and to get by the Hammer Bros without risking damage just makes sense to me. I haven't really looked at it that much though, I think the furthest I've done 100% is a world 2 run, and I'm not sure if that was a race or just me playing around.
Edit history:
yoshifan: 2011-06-08 12:57:57 am
Good stuff, I'd certainly like to see more runs of this game.
I tried TAing a few select individual levels a while back.  There's just a couple of levels I can comment on so far:

3-2: Before the midway flag (about 2:00 in your World 3 video), the upper block has a star in it; grabbing that should save some time.

4-4:
- Shooting the bloopers with ice balls is the fastest way to get past some of them, but it could be tricky and inconsistent.
- There's one or two stars in the latter half of the level.  I believe the first one is in the rightmost brick at about 6:41.  (Maybe you were already going for it in the World 4 video when you were fighting that current, but I don't know for sure. >_>)  I think one of the blocks near the end has another star.  It may or may not be worth the time to get it, though.
- For the end, here's something you could try: walljump off the left wall for a bit of momentum, then go into a bellyslide before touching the water (I believe you can go into bellyslide mode in mid-air).  Hop across the water repeatedly while bellysliding if that makes you go faster.
The Great Farming Empire
Any news on the SS Raiker Z?