Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213141516171819 -> <- 1 .. 6 .. 19 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from Mr. Piggy:
Neskamikaze: Technically, you only need to get the last star coin if you're going to the regular exit, since you will have already gotten the first two coins from the first time through to the secret exit, but I guess that's only if you're using my 100% route...

Oh, that makes sense. I wasn't taking routes into account, I was just going for that level.

What is your route? Does it go to Bowser as quick as possible and then go back through?
In the infinite
Yes it does, I think I have it posted on page 7, but I only have it up to Bowser right now...I'm still working on it.
Okay, I see it now. It looks good so far, if you need any help routing or testing individual levels I can happily do that for you.
Edit history:
Mr. Piggy: 2009-12-03 08:25:03 pm
In the infinite
I added your 1-2 time to the route, if you run any levels or have any times just post them here & I'll add them in. If you have any tips or changes to the route, just tell me.

EDIT: Just updated the route, I might change it a little bit, but I'm wondering if you enter and exit a canon stage if it will say you finished that level, or if you actually need to use the canon for it to count as a 100%. If you don't need to actually enter the canon and you can just enter the level and level, then I can edit the route a little bit, otherwise it's gonna stay the same for now. Also, when you enter beat 5-castle (in my route), will it automatically take you to world 6? This might also affect the route...
World 8-2 in 414

... seems like there could be a faster way to do certain parts, but this is the fastest way i came up with.  Let me know if there's a better route.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Quote from UCpro:
World 8-2 in 414

... seems like there could be a faster way to do certain parts, but this is the fastest way i came up with.  Let me know if there's a better route.

That looks nigh perfect UCpro.  Looks like everything is coming along great.  Can't wait for the final product.  Smiley 

How many segments do you plan to end the with total?
Quote from DK28:
Quote from UCpro:
World 8-2 in 414

That looks nigh perfect UCpro.  Looks like everything is coming along great.  Can't wait for the final product.  Smiley 

How many segments do you plan to end the with total?

the any% run will be 5 segments ... i'll be posting a detailed route in a little bit.
Quote from UCpro:
World 8-2 in 414

I see a few improvements, I'll probably get a recorded run tonight.
Quote from neskamikaze:
I see a few improvements, I'll probably get a recorded run tonight.

I just improved a few parts of my 8-2 route and got 416 (didn't need to use the propeller at 0:43, and i made it on the ledge at 1:16 on my propeller decent) ... i'll try a few more things out, but i'm curious to see what you come up with neskamikaze
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Yeah I think spinning should be kept to a minimum because it really slows mario down a lot.  I was looking at 8-7 and I noticed that if you leave the skeleton thingy at the right time it will give you a boost of momentum.  Also a random useless fact is if you ground stomp it's face the jaw will open :).  That 1-tower was absolutely killer.  Wall jumping is one of my biggest weaknesses in this game.
any% route -

Segment 1

1-1 ... a high 453 (454 might be possible, but a high 453 should be acceptable)
1-2 ... 455 (need to look at this again)
1-3 ... 449
1-Cannon
Save

I'll update this a little later ... i just wanted to get it started because of the nice page break Smiley
I didn't realize how much I hated 8-2 until I played it hundreds of times lol...

I came up with a route which should give me 417 but I haven't pulled it off yet.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
UCpro: If you want the first post so you can update everyone with your progress, just ask. I think using the first post to layout your segment route would be a good idea too.
Just wanted to let you guys know that the fella doing the small mario run had uploaded a new video covering the end of world 5 and the beginning of world 8 up to the airship.

Alright... finally! 8-2 in 417:

You said you made it to the edge on that propeller descent UCPro, how did you manage that? If that was included this could turn into a 418 or maybe 419.
Quote from neskamikaze:
Alright... finally! 8-2 in 417:

You said you made it to the edge on that propeller descent UCPro, how did you manage that? If that was included this could turn into a 418 or maybe 419.

wow, very nice!  how many attempts did this take?

Yeah, i got to that edge on the propeller descent ... i've done it a couple times.  You have barely enough room to make it ... just keep trying, you'll get it eventually ... very hard though.

I'm starting to wonder ... might it be possible that we do a quick save after 8-2, given the difficulty of the planned segment 4?  A quick save takes maybe just under a second ... might be something we think about, so we can split that into 2 segments.

Oh, i have the first post in this thread now ... so i'll update that every now and then.
Quote from UCpro:

wow, very nice!  how many attempts did this take?

Yeah, i got to that edge on the propeller descent ... i've done it a couple times.  You have barely enough room to make it ... just keep trying, you'll get it eventually ... very hard though.

I'm starting to wonder ... might it be possible that we do a quick save after 8-2, given the difficulty of the planned segment 4?  A quick save takes maybe just under a second ... might be something we think about, so we can split that into 2 segments.

Oh, i have the first post in this thread now ... so i'll update that every now and then.

Way more than I would have liked... I'd say I played it for around an hour and a half in testing before I started recording, then tried to record for an hour last night, then about 45 minutes this afternoon, and then 25 minutes tonight before I finally got it, so somewhere in the range of 400-500 would be my guess.

Alright, if I come back to this level I'll go for it. Not now though, I'm about sick of it lol.

I wonder if quick saves would be allowed, because if you're allowed to use quick saves to segment then my Mario Party 2 run is going to get a lot easier.

Btw, in getting new propeller suits in my attempts I did practice speed runs of 1-1 and I think I found a way to get it to 454. I'll try to get it recorded.
Great 8-2 run!  I also tried running this level, and with some effort managed to tie 417 with the propeller suit.  I've never gotten 494 at the first part though, that was certainly cool to see.  Here are a couple of things that I'm doing that I wanted to mention.

- At 459 in your video (near the start of the second half), I hop from the large wheel and land directly onto the small wheel below without ground-pounding.  It looks like it wouldn't work well, but I land the jump a good majority of the time (sometimes I don't hit the next jump and run into the lava, though).  This probably only saves half a second.

- In the fast wheel room, I used a strategy that doesn't use any propeller spins, which has good and bad points.  I think I should do the first and third propeller spins that you guys do, they seem to save time.  As for the second spin, it's possible to save a bit of time by instead doing a tricky crouch-jump from the POW-block platform to the next platform.  Success may vary, though.

Also, for the last propeller spin, could you get more distance if you crouch-jump from the platform so that you don't bump the ceiling so early?
Quote from yoshifan:
Great 8-2 run!  I also tried running this level, and with some effort managed to tie 417 with the propeller suit.  I've never gotten 494 at the first part though, that was certainly cool to see.  Here are a couple of things that I'm doing that I wanted to mention.

- At 459 in your video (near the start of the second half), I hop from the large wheel and land directly onto the small wheel below without ground-pounding.  It looks like it wouldn't work well, but I land the jump a good majority of the time (sometimes I don't hit the next jump and run into the lava, though).  This probably only saves half a second.

- In the fast wheel room, I used a strategy that doesn't use any propeller spins, which has good and bad points.  I think I should do the first and third propeller spins that you guys do, they seem to save time.  As for the second spin, it's possible to save a bit of time by instead doing a tricky crouch-jump from the POW-block platform to the next platform.  Success may vary, though.

Also, for the last propeller spin, could you get more distance if you crouch-jump from the platform so that you don't bump the ceiling so early?

If I could nail that jump you speak of at 459 that would be great, I never had much luck at it though.

That POW block jump sounds like a great idea, but I'm pretty sure when you propeller spin it gets rid of your crouch.
With those two improvements and nailing the final propeller spin it sounds like 419 is definitely possible.

And I thought I had ideas for 1-1 and 5-Tower, but they ended up failing. I almost beat that final wall on 5-Tower but even with doing perfect I wouldn't make it.
Quote from neskamikaze:
I wonder if quick saves would be allowed, because if you're allowed to use quick saves to segment then my Mario Party 2 run is going to get a lot easier.

i'm not sure why quick saves wouldn't be allowed ... it's just going to be a pain every time you mess up the segment after the quick save.  You can't copy game files that have been quick saved to another one of the game files, because it will just convert it back to the previous "save".  So, you have to actually copy/paste the game data in the wii memory and an SD card to start over again at the quick save.  That's over a minute just to set up the next attempt after a failed attempt ... but it might be worth it considering the extreme difficulty it would be otherwise.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from UCpro:
Quote from neskamikaze:

i'm not sure why quick saves wouldn't be allowed ... it's just going to be a pain every time you mess up the segment after the quick save.  You can't copy game files that have been quick saved to another one of the game files, because it will just convert it back to the previous "save".  So, you have to actually copy/paste the game data in the wii memory and an SD card to start over again at the quick save.  That's over a minute just to set up the next attempt after a failed attempt ... but it might be worth it considering the extreme difficulty it would be otherwise.

The biggest question is, can you?  You can copy VC games with save states to the SD card, but not back (why nintendo did this, I have NO idea).
Quote from Lord_VG:
Quote from UCpro:
Quote from neskamikaze:

The biggest question is, can you?  You can copy VC games with save states to the SD card, but not back (why nintendo did this, I have NO idea).

yes, you can do this ... i tried it earlier today Smiley
Quote from neskamikaze:
If I could nail that jump you speak of at 459 that would be great, I never had much luck at it though.

That POW block jump sounds like a great idea, but I'm pretty sure when you propeller spin it gets rid of your crouch.
With those two improvements and nailing the final propeller spin it sounds like 419 is definitely possible.

For the jump at 459, I try to make a full jump onto the tall wheel and then a short hop onto the low wheel.  I mess it up sometimes, though I usually undershoot if I do miss.

Also, the POW block crouch-jump is really tough at times - I'd recommend just keeping the second propeller spin, probably.
The crouch-jump after that works pretty well, though; I just tried it, and I can make the third propeller spin get to the ledge often. Smiley  You do come out of your crouch when you do the propeller spin, but the jump before your spin benefits from the late ceiling hit.

Another thing - there's a star in a block near the pack of goombas.  It could save a little time, but not more than 1 second from what I've managed.  The star may make the spikeball part before the pipe a bit easier, though.  For the record, I use a propeller spin to hit the block and float up above to collect the star.
I saw that star, and with the method you use to get is better than what I had come up with, just pounding the block to get it ultimately made me lose time, but yours could save some.

By the way, I've been working on 1-6 and it made me notice something about the WIP 100% route: it says to get the first propeller mushroom there, but the only propeller mushroom in the level is up a vine in a completely separate room and way far out of the way. Besides, I came up with a really good route that actually uses the ice to save time. However, it's very hard to do, which is why I don't have it recorded yet. I might work on it tomorrow, but I have work and finals to study for, so I probably shouldn't be speedrunning  Tongue
In the infinite
Quote from neskamikaze:
By the way, I've been working on 1-6 and it made me notice something about the WIP 100% route: it says to get the first propeller mushroom there, but the only propeller mushroom in the level is up a vine in a completely separate room and way far out of the way.

IIRC there is a propellor mushroom in one of the blocks on the first...umm...thing that spins the blocks around (I have no idea how to explain this)...Once you get that propellor mushroom then you can float up to the block with the vine in it.