Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213141516171819 -> <- 1 ... 18, 19 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Yeah no worries guys, neither the warpless nor the 100% will be where my next improvement for any% will be. We're both looking for strong runs, not obsessive runs.
1-Up!
ewaller you mention quality. make sure you get a quality test OKd in the tech support forum. don't want your run to get rejected for a/v after you do over 3 hrs single segment Shocked
Thanks for the advice Flip, I posted a quality test so hopefully one of the options I listed will work. Otherwise I'll just have to put it up on YouTube :).
Yeah all this talk about quality now worries me, I think I need to re-figure out how I managed to record my last run because the run I just recorded went back to low quality -.- hopefully its a mistake on my part and not an issue with... anything else, or I'll have issues~

Second reason for this post: New WR for any% -

No plans to submit because A) I don't think you'd like the quality it got recorded in, and B) I can save probably another 10 seconds in the castle... alone, I choked a bit at the end. Comes in 3 seconds faster then my old one so it's 25:28.
Small question about the route. What is the purpose of fighting the piranha plants on the map in World 5? Would they move to meet you if you took the upper route instead? It just seems like something that should be avoided.
In theory it's possible... (I think)  But seriously, try it yourself.  Just try it.  It's never happened to me, ever.
So they do move to meet you? That's what I figured. As it is in the run, the player just runs directly into them, which looks a bit strange.
DS Dictator
It's unavoidable on Cannon Warps run but apparently it's possible to avoid the encounter on Warpless/100%.
We might be proven wrong if the Warps TAS run manages to dodge them through extreme manipulation.
Yeah, that's what I thought.
You CAN manipulate the behavior of overworld monsters, and I have asked Rog to look into manipulating the plant to get it out of the way, but currently I don't think the plant bobs (doesn't move) until AFTER World 5's castle is beaten. Vines also get removed at this time. Currently in the run fighting the plant is required, I don't bother trying to dodge it anymore.

Manipulating the star from the mushroom house in world 1 seems to break even at best, but that is a maybe. Warpless might use a star from a starhouse (Which takes about half the time of a mushroom house) but the current route actually fights it for warpless. 100% should skip any plant fights, because there are A LOT more star houses on the way, I think the only overworld encounter for 100% is goomba, which is ridiculously hard to skip in 100% (though possible).

I'm hoping Rog gets back to us at #nsmbwii before I end up getting another run I like, skipping the piranha plant could save 25 seconds (not counting setup time in 5-1 so I can manipulate it). That'll also put the official non-TAS time under 25 minutes, and I'd love to be the one to break it. I believe an any% run of the game for a TAS (even without the skip) will come in 40-45 seconds faster then console because of level loading times, which all take the same time as 5-Cannon's does for TAS, consoles just cant load the longer levels that fast.
Didn't we already determine that manipulating the plants in real time just isn't going to happen?
All I have is that currently doing goomba/fish in real time isn't worth the tradeoff, especially since the current run for non-TAS has more then enough time to be saved without factoring them in.

Currently we don't KNOW if it is even possible to avoid the first Piranha Plant in world 5 without having finished the castle, or dying yet.

If it is possible to avoid that plant, we can save somewhere around 25-30 seconds in any%. Which means I WILL find a way to manipulate the plant real-time to get a low 26 (sub 25). If it isn't possible then I'll just save the 10 seconds or so I want to off of that 25:28 and get to work on warpless again.
Small update, I got a new WR run for 100% and uploaded it to youtube. The time was 3:34:50.

I missed a coin in Bowser's Castle and had to go back and get it, which wasted 6 mins, 40 seconds (probably the worst level to miss a coin in). So this time could've been sub 3:30, and I would have submitted it to SDA if I got that. I'll keep trying though, but am hyped for New Super Mario Bros. U :).

That's a really unfortunate mistake, because the run is very solid otherwise.  Only three deaths, which is quite impressive all things considered, and only one of them looks really bad (although I'm sure everyone can tell that you pressed jump there...).  You're crazy for trying this SS to begin with, and based on what I see here it's just a matter of time until you get the run.  Keep it up!

While I'm at it, the same goes to Raiker Z for any%, keep it up!
Arrested for felony abuse of emotes
When I have 3.5 hours free, I will be watching this so hard. <3
torch slug since 2006
i think this game looks pretty fun to speedrun, so i wanna atleast try to do it. what is the easiest category to learn?
Quote from DJS:
i think this game looks pretty fun to speedrun, so i wanna atleast try to do it. what is the easiest category to learn?

Any% is probably easiest to learn since it's the shortest and has the least amount of levels. There's a playlist that has a guide for each of the levels in any% here:

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx9_Df-E6VM&list=PLE5CE218181ACDE91&feature=plcp

And there's a guide with a bunch of information here: http://nsmbwiirta.wikia.com/wiki/Nsmbwii_rta_Wiki

Also most of the active runners hang out in #nsmbwii on the SDA/SRL irc.
torch slug since 2006
thank you! i think im gonna learn and try to do a few any% runs. i feel like any% without warps(?) is a category i could get into later.
Feel free to join #nsmbwii in sda's irc. We'd be happy to work with you on that run Smiley
1-Up!
I'm starting to worry about this 100% submission. NSMB U is upon us... :/
Even if he doesn't get a submission anyone who wants to see an EXTREMELY good run should watch ewaller's last one. He posted it just above. Honestly if he didn't forget the coin in Bowser's Castle that probably would've been submission worthy, though I think it has a few deaths?

Either way that is a sub 3:30 if you cut out the missed coin.
If he were only on Skype during that run, that coin miss could've been mitigated... Sad
I'll still be running this game until I get 3:30, although if you watch the run above that's pretty much what it will look like :). That run proves that i can get ~ 3:28 , so I just need to find time to get in some more runs. I'll probably do a few this Saturday to get hyped for the Wii U launch, just been busy lately.
The Speedrunning Teacher
Guess this thread just got a 1-up? Tongue

Anyways, I'm interested in learning this game and trying to get that 100% finished. Guess I have a lot of work on my hands. Should be fun though! I've got a lot of catching up to do.
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2014-01-02 08:57:17 am
<(^_^)>
ewallertv's PB is here - so you can watch that for reference.

twitch.tv/ewallertv and http://twitch.tv/jayfermont both run NSMBWii i think; though they both have been doing NSMBU more often so I don't think you'll see NSMBWii on their streams much.

Good luck! I hope to see you get good at it! do you stream, Zyre?