page  <- 1234567891011121314151617181920 -> <- 1 .. 10 .. 20 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
To the manager of the spreadsheet:
As much as I love the game, and would love to speedrun it, I'm afraid I was just suggesting Scott Pilgrim for the marathon, rather than offering to run. Sorry for teh confusion. Sad
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-07-03 06:49:29 pm
mikwuyma: 2011-07-03 02:33:47 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Withhelde: We went over this on IRC, but I can give you Golden Axe and that's about it. I have it estimated for 20 minutes which should be really high if you can knock off at least half as many enemies as the TAS does.

Cosmo: You and me both. BTW, learn to snake vorpaledge. Tongue

Final Fantasy 7: Right now the team is just RaneofSOTN and Puwexil, and I'd like to keep it that way because adding more people to the team means more chances for miscommunication.

Sonikkustar: Sonic Adventure DX would be a good game for the marathon, but it has a lot crazy tricks you'd have to practice.

NXRunner: I have no idea about Rogue Leader and whether it would be a good watch or not. I can safely say that Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance has no chance. I know it's popular, but it wouldn't exactly be the most fun thing to watch, and like Zenic says, there's a lot of randomness involved.

Kubelwagon: I'm not sure, but we might want to keep it traditional for Doom. I would need more input on this.

Call of Duty is obviously popular, but I don't know if it's a good marathon game.

footbigmike: That's fine, I took it off the list for now.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Any chance of getting a list of games that have been approved so far, I know not all will be in the final list, I was just wondering how many and how far we have to go...
The spreadsheet is a pretty good reference for now. Not all of those games will be on the final list, but most of them will be.
There is a spreadsheet? I am sure it is in the first post too...
Yep, it's in the first post, but if you're too lazy to look there. https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvcQB6Uj-946dE1BUl8yVmFrVFNtTl91bzlLeEh2ZFE&hl=en_US#gid=0
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2011-07-03 02:56:36 pm
Already in the "G"s.

Edit: Can you add me to DD2 list of runners? I don't get a choice in the matter...
Edit history:
qubit: 2011-07-03 03:28:10 pm
aka theenglishman
Quote from mikwuyma:
Call of Duty is obviously popular, but I don't know if it's a good marathon game.

Modern Warfare 2 is probably the only game in the series that's open enough to be entertaining for a speedrun.  Essentially most of the wait-for-NPC-to-open-door stuff is on a timer anyway.  A good example is Team Player, where the first half is all on a timer, and the second is completely open and you can just run/shoot/flashbang your way to the finish.
I could do Fallout 3 any% or all main quests. (Any% at around 45- 50 minutes, all main quests at around 2:15 - 2:30) I also have been practicing Majora's Mask a lot lately. Maybe a 4 way race with Runnerguy, Gragledump, Kaztalek, and I?
Waiting hurts my soul...
It'd be cool to see a Zelda: MM race as a follow up to the OoT race last time.
I can probably go to this again. I'd be willing to run SM64 and maybe ALTTP.

I hope to become good at MM10 so I can race my mate Tiki, but we will see.
i doubt kazzy kaz would go to the marathon cuz it would probably be an any% (which he hates)

id be down to race mm with some practice tho
stonenot: We did Fallout 3 during JRDQ and having watched the run (it's on Electrochock's youtube), I can safely say it's too boring for any live marathon.

Jiano: Sounds good.

Gragle_dump: What's a good time estimate for Sunshine any%?

Majora's Mask: The run would definitely be any%.
Edit history:
VorpalEdge: 2011-07-03 07:37:35 pm
welcome to the machine
Quote from mikwuyma:

well yeah, that's a minimum requirement lol

Quote:
NXRunner: I have no idea about Rogue Leader and whether it would be a good watch or not.

Rogue Leader isn't too bad a choice.  It was a gamecube launch game, so more people played it than you'd expect.  The game itself is flashy, so while you won't have any idea what's going on if you haven't played it, tie fighter sniping and punching through a hailstorm of star destroyer fire to take out the bridge still looks cool.  Dunno about the time estimate though; I'd say 30 mins for the main missions w/o cutscenes but with cutscenes I have no idea.  45/1 hour?  Kinda high.  NXRunner probably has a better idea heh.  Also there used to be good vids of the missions floating around somewhere, so while there aren't any speedrun vids on sda they do exist.

Never played the 3rd game, so no comment on that.
Well it sounds like a new game + would be best for Rogue Leader so there aren't any cutscenes.
SDA Represent!
Is anyone going to run MMX 3?
Edit history:
qubit: 2011-07-03 08:36:40 pm
qubit: 2011-07-03 08:34:28 pm
aka theenglishman
Put me in VERY tentatively for Resident Evil 4 (with an approximate time of 1:50, 2 hours if it really goes downhill).  I'll have to do a LOT of sweet-talking with the folks in order to convince them to do this, and I probably wouldn't be able to say for the bonus stream on the off-chance I do make it.  My first day of second-term classes is on the ninth of January, so this should be doable from a scheduling perspective.

I would be running a newgame+ Normal on GameCube.
id say a good estimate is 2:10, but there is a good chance it will improve over time.
Edit history:
NXRunner: 2011-07-03 09:04:08 pm
Novice Speedrunner
Quote from VorpalEdge:
Quote from mikwuyma:

well yeah, that's a minimum requirement lol

Quote:
NXRunner: I have no idea about Rogue Leader and whether it would be a good watch or not.

Rogue Leader isn't too bad a choice.  It was a gamecube launch game, so more people played it than you'd expect.  The game itself is flashy, so while you won't have any idea what's going on if you haven't played it, tie fighter sniping and punching through a hailstorm of star destroyer fire to take out the bridge still looks cool.  Dunno about the time estimate though; I'd say 30 mins for the main missions w/o cutscenes but with cutscenes I have no idea.  45/1 hour?  Kinda high.  NXRunner probably has a better idea heh.  Also there used to be good vids of the missions floating around somewhere, so while there aren't any speedrun vids on sda they do exist.

Never played the 3rd game, so no comment on that.

Quote from mikwuyma:
Well it sounds like a new game + would be best for Rogue Leader so there aren't any cutscenes.

I'll look up independent level runs on Youtube to see what random people get on best times. I know that if done right, some of the levels can be done extremely fast - for instance, if Infinite Lives and NG+ is approved and I take Vader's Tie Fighter into Razor Rendevous (the level where you go one on one with a Star Destroyer), the phrase "wrecked that shit" comes to mind, as it can be done in about one minute. Whereas the next level (on the planet the crashed SD lands on, with you flying around shooting crap) would look more like 6-8 minutes.

Having Infinite Lives on will decrease the run time - sometimes the best weapon you have in the game is the mass of your own ship smacking into something.

I'll get in contact with Arrow to see if a co-op switching-off run of the game might work out, and hammer out the details. 30-35 minutes is a good estimate for now, with no cutscenes, IL, and NG+.

Also, as a side note - I played through several levels today, and the "whoa, what th-whats that, NEERROOWWW, the hell was, BOOM, oooh cool!" factor would be very high at times XD

And if you guys hadn't nixed Baldur's Gate, I would have now - I tried a run of it today, and somehow in the entire opening level (the cellar), NOT ONE SINGLE RECALL POTION SPAWNED. I have never had this happen before, and it would instantly kill a run after having wasted 12 minutes, so no to that.
Is PJ
I don't think the stream would be very impressed with an infinite lives run.  It'd be like playing Silver Surfer with the invincibility code because it's faster to kill the bosses without any concern.  Even if it is faster, it would probably hurt your cred more than it'd help it.
Caleb: I hope not.

qubit: How about I add it when I know you're coming.

NXRunner: What PJ said, using infinite lives would hurt your cred, even if it is faster to crash into things.
Edit history:
NXRunner: 2011-07-03 09:03:43 pm
Novice Speedrunner
Alright, nix on IL then. The game can still be run speedily without it, it only slows Razor Rendevous and Battle of Endor by a few seconds I think (blasting the Star Destroyer command decks as opposed to crashing into them).

Just sent off info to Arrow, will post again once more info is to be had.
Edit history:
Cheater_Hater: 2011-07-03 10:42:54 pm
Quote from Pootrain:
Quote from Cheater_Hater:
I honestly have no idea how long a THUG Too Easy run would be--I remember seeing a run around an hour in a topic, but I don't remember its difficulty

Sick would be about an hour, Too Easy would be about half that.

I have no clue how you're getting that time, but I revived the THUG topic so we could discuss it there and stop derailing this topic until we have some more info.
I survived MIKE-Fest 1
I found a few old videos of rebel strike 2-player vids on my PC:

http://www.mediafire.com/?lkb37ls44ijob

the 2-Player mode would be more fun to watch IMO
also NG+ should be played otherwise its slower and more boring because the cutscenes are stupid
to the infinity lives:if you need more than 4lives to crush into things something is wrong anyways.

Edit history:
NXRunner: 2011-07-04 02:15:59 am
Novice Speedrunner
I got in contact with Arrow, and there's two small snags to Co-Op:

1. He's in Arizona, and I'm in New York. The game only has on-site co-op, not online, so we wouldn't be able to practice together until basically pretty close to the run itself.
2. When playing in co-op, you share a life pool. (In single player, you have three lives. In Co-op, both players share three lives, so say he died once and I died twice, we're both out, which is something that could cause havoc on Battle of Endor).

More details to work out, will give more info when I have it. Also, thanks Tigger77 for the videos.

Edit: Saw the first video. Razor Rendezvous in 11 seconds. Mother of god. o_o