page  <- 1234567891011121314151617181920 -> <- 1 .. 18 .. 20 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I'm sure a lot of people would want to see a Starcraft speedrun live, as long as it is done well.
Balls jerky
Starcraft vanilla is over 3 hours (all 3 campaigns) using IL strats. Brood war is only slightly better. SC2 i dunno. How long would it take using safer marathon strats? As much as I enjoy a good RTS, I just think they would be wayyyy too long unless we possibly take donations for a single campaign and even then.
No glitch Pokemon Blue in 2 Hours and 30 Minutes? I have to see this.

As for Starcraft, I vote no, it is not entertaining watching an RTS.
Well as a Final Fantasy runner, I guess I'm a bit biased when it comes to run length, but I guess it wouldn't be out of the question to take donations to pick which levels are run, and only do a few levels, not the entire game.  Some of the really short levels would be good to do like The Trump Card, Egression, and Homeland, to name a few.
Edit history:
dballin: 2011-08-01 07:42:48 pm
Balls jerky
Quote from ExtremeYoshiFan:
As for Starcraft, I vote no, it is not entertaining watching an RTS.

I wanted to be nice but pretty much this if you have to use safe strats. Only doing part of the game is not a good idea either. Look what happened to YI when we took donations for stages too.
新世紀進歩的羽扇子 音楽
So yeah, I definitely want to get some Souls. From Demons.
I'm 90% sure I can make it to this now, in case we want to make the meat boy race official.  I'm also pretty sure we can get a real end run down to under an hour.  I'm not sure how much time we'd need for extra donation stages.
Edit history:
André: 2011-08-01 09:31:30 pm
Main Work!!!
Quote from Mundungu:
I'm 90% sure I can make it to this now, in case we want to make the meat boy race official.  I'm also pretty sure we can get a real end run down to under an hour.  I'm not sure how much time we'd need for extra donation stages.

Ok so if it's the case how this will work:
-finally is it a dark world race or only a speedrun through the end
-computer or XBox
-How many players
-Can I join if it's on computer
Novice Speedrunner
Out of curiosity, how are the DS games being recorded? And if a 3DS game were to be offered, could it be recorded the same way? No promises/thoughts yet, just wondering.
Starcraft would be pretty dull for a marathon run imo.
Wiiaboo
Quote from spineshark:
So yeah, I definitely want to get some Souls. From Demons.

You heard the man.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I am not sure how this works exactly, but I can make it to this if I am allowed to. I'd like to run Metroid Zero Mission any% and potentially do a race with dragondarch for 100%, or just the race if you are strapped for time. I am pretty sure any% is a little less than 50 minutes long in real time. As far as being qualified enough to do the run, I have a 29:09 single segment run up on youtube (it's my best single segment run so far, my best segmented run isn't recorded, but it beats spidey_widey's current record), and I should be able to consistently get sub 30 single segment on every try, so that should at least be good enough I'd say. I've never done 100% ss better than 58:xx if I remember correctly, but I also haven't done a single segment run in a while. With a little practice I should be able to get 54:xx single segment though. Hopefully this is the right place to put this =x.
Meat boy will probably be a real end race, meaning dark world stuff too.  I would assume its gonna be on xbox, since the PC version is an unstable pile of dung.  I think it's just me and breakdown so far.
If I may offer a suggestion for something during the graveyard hours:

What if you did a competition for someone to run a game blind.  The game in question: WarioWare Smooth Moves (Wii).

Someone who has never played the game won't be particularily worse at it than someone who is an "expert" plus, because of the frantic nature of the game and trying to figure out motion controls it would be hilarious to watch.

You'd just need to find a bunch of attendees that have never played the game.  Better if they have never played any WarioWare games.
train kept rollin
While that might be funny for 2 minutes, Wario Ware games can't really be speedrun.
Novice Speedrunner
Quote from mrlr:
If I may offer a suggestion for something during the graveyard hours:

What if you did a competition for someone to run a game blind.  The game in question: WarioWare Smooth Moves (Wii).

Someone who has never played the game won't be particularily worse at it than someone who is an "expert" plus, because of the frantic nature of the game and trying to figure out motion controls it would be hilarious to watch.

You'd just need to find a bunch of attendees that have never played the game.  Better if they have never played any WarioWare games.

As Pootrain said, the problem is that the laughs wouldn't last.

Now, if we threw in I Want To Be The Guy for about twenty minutes into an empty spot, lulz would indeed ensue and stick around. If you thought Epic Carcrage was funny, wait for IWTBTG to start spiking everyone into doomland.
Balls jerky
In response to the above three posts:

No. Yes. No.

in that order
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from dballin:
In response to the above three posts:

No. Yes. No.

in that order

There's a reason why dballin is in the VIP man club.
Anyone remember A.R.E.S.?  Kind of like Mega Man but more 3D, still a sidescrolling platformer.  It's an indie game that didn't get too much attention but was a blast to play.
$15 per rant/allegory
Quote from dballin:
Starcraft vanilla is over 3 hours (all 3 campaigns) using IL strats. Brood war is only slightly better. SC2 i dunno. How long would it take using safer marathon strats? As much as I enjoy a good RTS, I just think they would be wayyyy too long unless we possibly take donations for a single campaign and even then.

StarCraft 2 would bring in a huge amount of money and interest though. The scene would be all over that.
I'd be able to do StarCraft 2 on Normal right now and I assume with some practice and grinding it out I could bump a little higher.  My RTS skills have dwindled since I kept to games like Diablo 2 and WoW.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-08-03 05:55:03 pm
mikwuyma: 2011-08-03 05:54:34 pm
mikwuyma: 2011-08-03 05:49:34 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Well I shouldn't be surprised I got a lot of suggestions, some good, some not as much. I'm also really squeezed for time on the schedule so I'm probably going to reject 90%+ of these suggestions.

Tomba: Uh I know this would actually be a pretty good watch, and it is a cult classic (it got a couple of mentions during agdq), but I'm not entirely sold, especially since you're not confident about it, mecha richter.

Catherine: I know the puzzle parts are fast-paced and entertaining, but the problem are the relationship parts. Aren't the relationship parts a big part of the game? Also it seems like this game would be pretty long, and like I said, I don't have a lot of time to spare on the schedule.

Demon's Souls: This was one of the three most-requested games from AGDQ, so it's in.

Little Big Planet: This is actually a pretty good idea. I'd need a decent time estimate. If this game doesn't make it in for this AGDQ, it's definitely worth considering for 2013.

Starcraft: It was really only suggested because it's the most popular RTS. I wasn't really sure myself if it was good for a marathon. It doesn't look like a great idea. If it did happen, it would have to be donation for which campaign (I don't know if sc2 works the same way), because there is no way I would allow 4 hours of Starcraft. 4+ hours of Starcraft is what tourney streams are for.

Super Meat Boy: You guys are making a big assumption on Meat Boy being a race. I'll have to consult with Breakdown about Meat Boy being a race. Also, if Breakdown approves it as a race, then you guys will have to practice every single stage (the extra stages will be offered as a donation goal, and there is a 99% chance it will be met), and I'll need constant updates on progress.

A.R.E.S.: Sorry, but if it was mostly overlooked, then 9 times out of 10 it's not a good choice for the marathon. It might be an entertaining game, but it needs at least a bit of interest too.

NXRunner: Video camera, Aftermath has streamed with it before.

samthedigital: I'm glad you're interested in running something for the marathon, but please watch a video so you have a better idea how things work.

Flicky: I'm not 100% sure about that, it could backfire really badly if teamliquid notices we don't play as fast as tourney players.
The run in the Little Big Planet thread is just over an hour, says it's segmented by level.  I'll give it a few run throughs and give a rough estimate afterwards.
Visually Appealing
Quote from mikwuyma:
Catherine: I know the puzzle parts are fast-paced and entertaining, but the problem are the relationship parts. Aren't the relationship parts a big part of the game? Also it seems like this game would be pretty long, and like I said, I don't have a lot of time to spare on the schedule.

The non-puzzle parts you can skip pretty much. The true length of the game comes from cutscenes. If you don't do anything between puzzle stages, aside from getting drunk to move faster and maybe talking to someone to influence the morality meter if we want a certain ending, the game can't be too long. Maybe an hour?
So, I suddenly got an urge to play Wind Waker Today, and then I thought about it, and I would love to see it at a marathon. The only problem is that the game is a marathon in itself. I would not really find it fair to have 1 person do an 8 hour block of 1 game. Granted, it could be done by multiple people, and that could lead to a better end time because as opposed to 1 person practicing a whole game, you now have a few people doing 2-3 hour segments. 3 People would be optimal, but two could get the job done. I wouldn't even want to begin on a route, but I am sure a few of the people here could, or at least adapt that old segmented route into something for a Single Segment, but it uses savewarping so that would add quite a bit of time to the run(whether you did it, resets and loads take time, or if you skip it traveling takes time. Nevertheless, I just want to state my opinion, and want to see if there is an interest.

I may be able to help with some route planning and rewriting(new glitches have emerged of varying difficulty) but we'd still need runners as I do not have the means to go to the marathon. I think the tingle tuner would be beneficial if we had a good turbo controller for zombie hovering, but turbo is banned for some reason(granted, a good enough button masher may be able to make to). I don't see why it's banned, but if it is for fairness I somewhat understand. Regardless, I figured I would see what everyone here wants and see if we can get Wind Waker on the schedule. Maybe within the six months someone may even work out a Hyrule barrier skip, saving a substantial amount of time and virtually cutting the run time in half.

Regardless, I want to see this game at a Marathon, maybe not the upcoming AGDQ, but at some point in time. I couldn't bring myself to watch a full run if one was UL'ed here(there are 2 at Archive.org) because of how boring a lot of it would be, but at a marathon with the commentary and the hype from the audience and runner I could actually find it enjoyable and would gladly watch it the whole way through.

Just getting my opinion out there.