page  <- 1234567891011121314151617181920 -> <- 1 .. 5 .. 20 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Die Hard 2013.
Good games:

Bomberman Hero: Neskamikaze and I can race for 60-70 minutes if that is wanted.  (I'm at about 80% likelihood of being present.)  My console run is on my youtube channel (kirkq1234) if anyone is interested in how it looks.  The run time is pretty consistent.  If Bomberman 64 is insisted upon, Ani is pretty decent; I'm not sure how he compares to others though.  I'd volunteer to play Bomberman 64 Second Attack, but failures are too brutal and the game is quite long (~130-140 minutes) to begin with.

Bad games:

Die Hard: After typing this I have the strange urge to see this happen.  It's about a 6 minute run (also on my youtube channel) and the strategy is really dumb looking.  Also, this game gets the AVGN boost.  If multiple people raced it, I think it would be short, quick, and humorous.

Quest 64: Peaches_ and I have been doing ~3 hour runs.  If we actually played with controller packs (saves) it wouldn't be too terrible for a conservative full game run.  (I dunno if Peaches_ is going, I'm just throwing this out there.)
hey idk if i'm going yet or not but if i do (and cosmo too) i'll race monkeyball 1. i hate 2 & will never play it again though. cheers.
Edit history:
neskamikaze: 2011-07-01 05:16:00 pm
Here's what I got for games I think would be good:

Yoshi's Story - Very well known and short. People would love to hear the singing Yoshis anyways. 20 minutes (Note: There is no way this could possibly go over 20 minutes).

Tony Hawk 2 - Another very short game and you were open to seeing it again. I will try to actually explain my route and such this time instead of people looking away and being like, "oh it's already over." 10 minutes

I'd do Super Mario Land or Duke Nukem 1 as well, but I doubt these are wanted so I'll leave it at those two.

Edit: On notes of watchability, on these two games that I both enjoy, neither Gauntlet Legends nor Epic Yarn would be good to watch.
Contra III: I'm up for races, co-op, low%... pretty much anything.

If Mr. K comes too there'll be lots of options.
Quote from Hurblat:

trip world race needs to happen :>
Quote from cyghfer:
Quote from Hurblat:

trip world race needs to happen :>

If the powers that be deem it worthy, then maybe it will Smiley
Is PJ
If Hurblat, Mr.K, and Yama all race Contra 3, I am going to shit my pants.
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2011-07-01 05:15:15 pm
Willing to teach you the impossible
Sad times when I don't get a choice... I am gunna have to start playing more than 2 games I guess...

Wait what? Tiki, you run Low% X2?

On MMX games, I almost 1 man warriored it last year to race Rom. I deff have the time and love the game enough to pick it up, but I will let the big boss men decided if that is a good idea.

Co-op Contra and Super C are really tough to get practice in, but I am sure it would be fun. My preference order is: Race > Solo > Co-op. But in the end, this is about the viewers and the donations. So I will let the big boss men decided what happens here as well. If Co-op is picked, I will find a way to practice with my partner.

I guess I can add a game to the list of ones I could do. Add in Legend of Mystical Ninja for the SNES. I am unsure how well this game is known, but it does have co-op options too (I don't like this idea unless I know the other player has put some time in). But if the big boss men decided anything in my post should be neglected, you wont hear me bitch.

I will be doing donation wars for % in my games though.
Professional Second Banana
Quote from PJ:
If Hurblat, Mr.K, and Yama all race Contra 3, I am going to shit my pants.

That run can be "Contra 3 by the Contra 3".
that Metroidvania guy
Quote from Satoryu:
-Symphony is a definite for me. 360, PS3, whatever. (Well, maybe not Saturn.)

Dude, Saturn version is so good. Watch Soupy stream it sometime.

Also, make sure you practice with the 360 controller for longer than I practiced with the PS3 controller (just the evening of the race)... especially if you use the dpad. Geez, that thing blows.

Quote from mikwuyma:
Sir VG: I can give you Amazing Mirror in that list. However, I want all players of the game to be well-practiced, and I want some of the co-op practice to happen before we all meet up at AGDQ. Please don't list stuff you know has almost no chance of making it.

Well, it'd be hard to arrange anyone playing together before the marathon besides me and J, but luckily this is pretty much 4 small 1P runs instead of being a typical 4 player run. Everyone just has to practice their portion of the route on their own, and we could get down the opening and the final battle (the only 2 spots where people are actually all together) in a short time on the setup day or something if needed. The final battle is basically "whoever grabs the broken weapon crushinates the world" anyway.

Quote from VorpalEdge:
f-zero gx

try learning this

WITHOUT snaking yourself completely off the track :v
waifus are laifu
I...suppose if I ended up coming, which is still a big maybe, that I could possibly learn Tetris Attack or Kirby's Avalanche. Maybe if there's room for 2 player filler shenanigans like what Dr. Mario got sometimes. I can't offer anything other than that, since the only game I can currently run is too obscure for this.
that Metroidvania guy
Quote from neskamikaze:
Yoshi's Story - People would love to hear the singing Yoshis anyways.

What? Who has told you they like the sound of those things? I think you might be deaf, my friend. >.>
Quote from romscout:
Quote from neskamikaze:
Yoshi's Story - People would love to hear the singing Yoshis anyways.

What? Who has told you they like the sound of those things? I think you might be deaf, my friend. >.>

True story: When I was younger I knew my brother hated the Yoshis so much that I rented the game an extra time just to play the intro song on repeat for 5 days.
that Metroidvania guy
Quote from neskamikaze:
True story: When I was younger I knew my brother hated the Yoshis so much that I rented the game an extra time just to play the intro song on repeat for 5 days.

You're lucky I'm not your brother, because then you wouldn't be alive today to tell about it. >_>
This world is all we have,cherish it
I'm finally back in Maryland and will be coming to the marathon with sinister1.  Be warned, we are almost the same person, just different complexions Tongue 

Games I can run:
DD2 race with whoever (DK28? Since it wouldn't seem fair to partner with sinister1)
Zelda race vs Breakdown?
Metroid 2 boss or up+a warps run (if I get enough positive feedback to thwart Mike's opinions in his games thread, which is dubious); or a race of any version vs whomever

I'm so pumped. Can't wait to be there.
Arrested for felony abuse of emotes
Well, if I go, I'd mainly just be there to be pretty. XD But, I guess if people wanted, I could try working on an Oracle of Seasons run.  I can't practice on my Gamecube though because I lost my GBPlayer disc. ><
Edit history:
duckfist: 2011-07-01 06:39:25 pm
Obviously count me in for Mega Man 10.  I know Mike said it's a choice between 9 and 10, but if that's somehow lifted, count me as interested in Mega Man 9.  I've been trying to learn Mega Man X a bit, and if a (large?) race is decided upon, I would be interested in that.

Also, just hypothetically... what do you guys think the interest would be for a Rockman & Forte run?

I know, that's a lot of Mega Man.  I've been learning SMB3 and Super Metroid, but there are much better players coming for those.
Edit history:
romscout: 2011-07-01 06:40:12 pm
that Metroidvania guy
Quote from Itsu de Mo:
Well, if I go, I'd mainly just be there to be pretty. XD But, I guess if people wanted, I could try working on an Oracle of Seasons run.  I can't practice on my Gamecube though because I lost my GBPlayer disc. ><

If you come, I will make sure to take the opportunity to avenge my family!!! You know what I'm talking about! *loads shotgun*

Also, I think Oracle of Seasons would work a lot better if we also had Oracle of Ages for a donation war.

Quote from duckfist:
Also, just hypothetically... what do you guys think the interest would be for a Rockman & Forte run?

I think it is at least cult classic status; a lot more people know about it than you'd think, and it has grown a reputation of being one of the hardest (or maybe THE hardest?) classic MM game. I think a fair number of people would be supportive of it, but you'd definitely need to put a lot of time into it, especially if you're doing the zips, and we'd need to get a solid time estimate down (I've literally seen like, 0 console runs for it, ever) before determining if it's worth a spot. Even though I'm getting the game to try and run too, I don't feel comfortable saying I could put together a great run for either character since I'm already volunteering for a lot of other games, so you or someone else would definitely have to be all over that. If MM10 is your only other game, I'd say it's viable for you.

edit: forte would seem a lot more viable than rockman for a marathon if it came down to it, seeing as the TASes are over 10 minutes apart... imagine what the console estimates would be, especially if you don't find zipping as rockman doable
Edit history:
Axel Ryman: 2011-07-01 06:54:44 pm
We all scream for Eyes Cream
This is mainly if I'm going. I should prepare to host that donation stream soon.

Megaman Legends: I love this game and I tried speedrunning it personally when I was younger, getting to around an hour on Normal. I don't like 2 as much as 1 but I could try learning that one.

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes: It's similar to Dynasty Warriors, covers about half hour, and has a multitude of donation options(Character choice, route choice, etc). It's possible that Flicky and I can 2 player this game together if he wants.

Devil May Cry 3: I hated having to drop this for AGDQ1 but I needed to cause of KH2. I'll do it on DMD of course, and since I have Special Edition, we can have some Vergil action instead of Dante

Kingdom Hearts 2 Not serious of course. Maybe in 2015 when I have Final Mix+ and I can speedrun Critical Mode in a single sitting. Tongue
Edit history:
Arrow: 2011-07-01 06:55:53 pm
Now a hit show on the CW
Quote from Skullboy:
Dynamite Headdy versions race - Arrow suggested doing a version (NA vs JP) race of this and if he's still willing to do it, I'm game for it as well. It might not be popular enough. Also, the NA and JP version timing points end differently (there's still input in the JP version after beating Dark Demon)

I know Mike already listed this as unlikely, but I still want to throw my support behind this. Dynamite Headdy has some of the most random, and noticeable, localization changes of any game, so running the games side by side would be fairly entertaining, imo. But I guess we'll just have to see how popular the race at SGDQ ends up being before deciding whether this has a chance.

Besides from Headdy, I'm definitely willing to do Katamari Damacy and/or WLK again. I still feel like having both in the same marathon would be overkill, but I'm willing to do it. I'd also like to run either Mario vs. DK or Donkey Kong '94 (whichever one doesn't win the bidding war for SGDQ), but I guess this may also depend on how well received the series is at SGDQ.

Three new games I'd be willing to run are Little Nemo: The Dream Master, Bubble Bobble, and Star Wars: Rogue Leader - all are fairly well known and haven't been featured in marathons yet. I know scheduling is going to be tight as is, but I just wanted to throw this out there as a possibility.
Edit history:
Molotov: 2011-07-01 07:11:03 pm
Ok, I made a spreadsheet for almost everything so far. I excluded some things that I figured are obviously not going to make it and things that have been cut already. So as of a few minutes ago, it's up-to-date. You guys post too many game suggestions and I hate you all for that. Tongue

For my sanity later (or Mike's, probably), please put game titles in bold print and list a category. It makes things so much easier.

[Edit]: Probably should've added the same disclaimer from last time: I have absolutely no say in what games make it. I'm just keeping track of what people mention.
Edit history:
duckfist: 2011-07-01 07:01:43 pm
Actually, I've been itching to speed run some co-op games with somebody.  I don't know how we'd practice together (depends on the game I guess), but if somebody has a cool suggestion, let me know.  Romscout, if J can't make it for whatever reason, Kirby Super Star would be fun, I've played it quite a bit.
Edit history:
PJ: 2011-07-01 07:11:45 pm
Is PJ
Quote from romscout:
Quote from duckfist:

I think it is at least cult classic status; a lot more people know about it than you'd think, and it has grown a reputation of being one of the hardest (or maybe THE hardest?) classic MM game. I think a fair number of people would be supportive of it, but you'd definitely need to put a lot of time into it, especially if you're doing the zips, and we'd need to get a solid time estimate down (I've literally seen like, 0 console runs for it, ever) before determining if it's worth a spot. Even though I'm getting the game to try and run too, I don't feel comfortable saying I could put together a great run for either character since I'm already volunteering for a lot of other games, so you or someone else would definitely have to be all over that. If MM10 is your only other game, I'd say it's viable for you.

edit: forte would seem a lot more viable than rockman for a marathon if it came down to it, seeing as the TASes are over 10 minutes apart... imagine what the console estimates would be, especially if you don't find zipping as rockman doable

I'm with romscout here.  I don't think it's a very popular game, but what do I know.  It certainly is hard and it's fun to watch if done well.  The issue is doing it well.  The game is extremely unforgiving, and mistakes are costly, especially considering you have to play every level after the first 3 with <7 health to do it quickly.  As a few people here know, I've been working on this game a lot lately, trying to find a way to consistently do the zips.  I can safely say that the chances of doing this under pressure are basically zero.  The floor zips in Dynamo Man's stage would be the only likely candidate.  Getting a successful ceiling or wall zip under pressure is not going to happen on only 6 months of practice.  Without the zips, your time is going to be like an hour.

I am definitely going to learn this game eventually, so perhaps for a later marathon we could do a rockman vs. forte race, but I can comfortably say I will not be even close to ready for this by winter.  If you think you'd be ready for it by winter and if Papa Yama approves it, I'd love to commentate on it for you.  Cheesy

Edit:  For what it's worth, Rockman is actually faster than Forte.  Forte is easier to run, though.
Edit history:
Aftermath: 2011-07-01 07:20:55 pm
Aftermath: 2011-07-01 07:20:40 pm
Aftermath: 2011-07-01 07:14:56 pm
Aftermath: 2011-07-01 07:13:58 pm
Quits halfway
Molotov - You can remove Order of Ecclesia. NG+ is running really fast linearly through the game while one shotting everything and not worrying about damage, so wouldn't work out well.

PoR's category will be J/C no warps, if possible. The time differences between each category are so huge that it wouldn't make much sense to allow it.

And yeah, Gauntlet should probably be taken off as well.

Sorry for not bolding stuff.
Edit history:
Breakdown: 2011-07-01 07:31:46 pm
Breakdown: 2011-07-01 07:19:04 pm
Breakdown: 2011-07-01 07:17:34 pm
Haters gonna hate
I'm not going to touch everything that's been suggested, but will shout out a few.

Legend of Zelda:  Yay race!  I really didn't like the idea of cutting this one (even though it was my original suggestion), it just seems weird not having it.  Now we don't have to.

Wonder Boy 3:  I'm a big softie for the Master System, and this seems like one of the few games from the console that just might make the cut (others would be Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Shinobi, and only the latter because we're looking to have a Shinobi block).  I'd rate any game from this console, however, as a long shot at best (and I'm willing to bet Mike's kneejerk reaction would be hell no).
EDIT:  Actually, since we do have a Shinobi block, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is also a possibility, and would actually make for a pretty cool run in my opinion.

Assassin's Creed 2:  Best game Zenic suggested, and honestly the only one I see making it in from that list (except maybe Mass Effect 2, but that was more a reminder than a suggestion).

Bubble Bobble & Little Nemo:  Think these both fit that really good but not crazy mainstream NES title criteria, and I'd like to see both personally.

Might try my hand at tackling everything listed later, but wanted to throw my two cents in on these.