page  <- 1234567891011121314151617181920 -> <- 1 .. 9 .. 20 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
hi
I'd love to see a run of Super Meat Boy and Donkey Kong 64. I've never seen either of the two before and I'm really interested in the DK64 glitched run.

Personally, I'd like to be able to try to run Sonic Adventure but it'll have to be for another year where I have the resources to travel.
Visually Appealing
Quote from mikwuyma:
Satoryu: Okay, are the No More Heroes games good watches though? I can say that we can play only one of them if it makes the cut, since scheduling is so tight.

Hmm, X6 is longer than I thought (I thought it would be around an hour), but that should be okay I guess. I'm assuming that extra time isn't for switching configs. Tongue

I agree that only one NMH should be played. As for how entertaining they are, it's not too different from watching Bayonetta I'd say. They are beat-em-ups so there's a lot of mooks being sliced in half all the time. So boss fights, driving sections, and genre shifts might be more of the draw. Oh and cutscenes if people bid for them. Some of them are downright hilarious. I don't have an example for NMH2, but I did run the first game a few years back.

Well, I'm aiming high with X6. I added about 20 minutes to the real time from my 23:14. I'm just playing safe with that estimate, and setup time is added to that as well. You're right in that the run would take about an hour. Given of course everything goes as planned. Randomness can get nasty in that game.
Edit history:
Withhelde: 2011-07-02 04:17:29 pm
Withhelde: 2011-07-02 04:16:23 pm
Thinker & Dreamer
ヽ(ಠ ゚▽ ゚ಠ )ノ Looking through the game list, I may be interesting in latching on/racing Dynamite Headdy and Metal Slug if people would want such a thing and don't mind.

( *¯∇¯)ノ I's going to try a few more games in vain attempt of acceptance:
Final Zone - Awesome mecha game for the Genesis and super short (10-15 minutes)
Golden Axe - Well known Genesis game and pretty short (20-30 minutes) also superfun as a race/co-op
Super Hydlide - My poverty game; actually pretty good (to me at least) and fairly fast run through if you know what to do.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Anyone else see the boobs giggling in the post above?
Quote from Withhelde:
Super Hydlide - My poverty game; actually pretty good (to me at least) and fairly fast run through if you know what to do.

omg yes the music is amazing pls say yes <3
Vorpal, I would absolutely love to watch an F Zero GX run Smiley really hoping that happens
Edit history:
NXRunner: 2011-07-02 09:57:52 pm
NXRunner: 2011-07-02 09:36:34 pm
Novice Speedrunner
Editted due to personal pigheadedness.
Quits halfway
in b4 breakdown

You should pick up another game, possibly one from the recommended section in the 3rd post or whatever. 6 months is enough time to learn a lot of things. Or 6 months is a lot of time to whine and make the people running the marathon not like you.
Edit history:
NXRunner: 2011-07-02 10:03:24 pm
Novice Speedrunner
I'm cooling my head and trying to think of other options. Sorry for the outburst, I'd been banking on Legends more than was wise.

Adding an edit side note here - amongst the reccomended/questioned games Aftermath directed me to, I saw the suggestion about FF7. There are sections of the game that I can speedrun, but I'd never actually thought about it before (Midgar-through-Kalm is my best area). What kind of times would be seen as acceptable here? I'm considering that the site run was done with save abuse (using the "abuse" term very lightly here) and multiple parts, as opposed to a live oneshot run.

Also, does anyone know a place that has a copy of FF7 PS1 for less than $200? x_X I have the $10 PSP version.

Exploring other options as well.
I will say as a spectator of the last two marathons, I don't think it would be wise to have TOO many races.

As it seems to me right now every other game turns out to be a race, might just be the 6am dizzy talk but still. When I watched the other marathons the races was not the cream of the crop for me. I much prefer a regular speedrun, Allows for quality commentary and feels a lot more professional.

I've been watching a hell of a lot of races lately on speedrunslive, and races can be super cool. But there are few things as boring as a one sided race, which is pretty much a risk you're always running. Mistakes happen no matter how much you practice.
Balls jerky
Quote from NXRunner:
Also, does anyone know a place that has a copy of FF7 PS1 for less than $200? x_X I have the $10 PSP version.

ebay
TIOLET!
Quote from Zivaneklose:
I will say as a spectator of the last two marathons, I don't think it would be wise to have TOO many races.

I second this but for other reasons. The main thing I didn't like about the previous races is that each competitor has such a small screen, especially in Castlevania SOTN it was sometimes downright impossible to see what was going on.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I will go over more stuff soon, but we've already discussed races, and we came to the same conclusion as you Zivaneklose.

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/planning_the_next_awesome_games_done_quick_169.html
Quote from mikwuyma:
I will go over more stuff soon, but we've already discussed races, and we came to the same conclusion as you Zivaneklose.

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/planning_the_next_awesome_games_done_quick_169.html

Ah lovely, I trust you guys are on top of things, really looking forward to it!
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Thanks! I think we've learned a lot from the last AGDQ, including schedule schedule schedule. Wink
SDA Represent!
Is the Super Metroid race a 100%?
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-07-03 12:24:19 am
Not a walrus
Not this time, the 100% race is going to be at SGDQ. I made Vorpal promise to race me this year.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
I looked at the tentative schedule and there are 14 races/potential races out of 119 games which is ~12%

That is not too terribly high, especially since some of those races are not going to happen. I would imagine that if we keep the number of races between 5 - 10% we will be fine, and it will allow for people that might not get to run a game otherwise to be involved. It would be impossible to have everyone that is coming this time around run a game so races are definitely a good solution to this problem. Basically we just need to cap the number of races at 10 or 11 to keep it reasonable. This is clearly something that should be done much closer to the actual marathon, but I just figured I would put it out there in case anyone has alternate suggestions regarding races.

tldr; from other thread RE: races

We should not have too many races and the ones we do have should be short, and/or have equally matched runners to avoid blowouts which are super boring for viewers.
Edit history:
NXRunner: 2011-07-03 10:31:13 am
NXRunner: 2011-07-03 10:29:55 am
NXRunner: 2011-07-03 10:21:37 am
NXRunner: 2011-07-03 10:14:52 am
Novice Speedrunner
Got two new possible games - Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance (easy mode) on Gamecube, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader on Gamecube. Both will require me to get a lot of practice in, but Cremator's BG:DA run will give me some good ideas to work with. As for RS:RL however, while the first and third Rogue Squadron games have been run, I cannot find any runs on any site as of yet running the second game in the series, so figuring out what times are acceptable will be...interesting.

I'm going to go run through both games as fast as I can now, and I'll put up what current times and projected times are later if they make the cut. BG:DA will probably be slightly longer than the site run due to that the site run is segmented and this would be oneshot.

Edit Note: I have just discovered that Rogue Leader's cutscenes are not skippable on a New Game, so this will factor into run time.
Balls jerky
Do an NG+ then. I don't remember the cutscenes being anything too exciting. Arrow expressed interest in running Rogue Leader so maybe the two of you could work together on the game.
Edit history:
Aftermath: 2011-07-03 10:31:11 am
Quits halfway
If anything, wouldn't NG+ IL be best for rogue leader? I know it was one of the popular gcn launch games and is always listed among the best star wars/gcn games so maybe it could sneak in.

dballin is a ninja of the highest caliber
Edit history:
NXRunner: 2011-07-03 10:35:30 am
NXRunner: 2011-07-03 10:35:01 am
Novice Speedrunner
You're both ninjas lol.

Hearing that there's someone else for running gives me a new hope (no pun intended). It also reminds me - the third game, Rebel Strike, has a full two player co-op version of Rogue Leader in it. What about that? Cheap as it may be, the Jedi Starfighter would make this go sooooo much better lol.

Edit: On the other hand, if Infinite Lives, NG+, and swapping off on different levels between two people was acceptable, this run would become MUCH more do-able. Here's hoping Arrow is good at Strike At The Core =P
Edit history:
Sonikkustar: 2011-07-03 12:39:08 pm
Sonikkustar: 2011-07-03 12:18:30 pm
Sonikkustar: 2011-07-03 11:44:28 am
Sonikkustar: 2011-07-03 11:21:56 am
The Great Farming Empire
Welp, Here are the games that I already listed that I could do:

*Metal Slugs 1, X, or 3 (Seeing as how Mike already has 3 on his hand, Id best leave this one alone. Good luck Mike!)
*Sonic Adventure DX - Not sure how this will fair in the schedule though. It would probably be around 32 minutes unless I do some of the extreme shortcuts.

I'll look through the offered games and see what I can pull off. So theres probably more that could be added to this list later. Also, I fully support the Sonic games & Shinobi 3 for the marathon. Cheesy
If no one else is willing to run Doom, I think I could learn it by the time the marathon comes around. I have a question though, am I going to have to play with the original keyboard controls, or can I use an updated version with mouse look like zDoom?

Plus, how do people feel about the Call of Duty series? I know the newer games are sort of in vogue right now, but what about the older ones, specifically 1 and 2? I could run either of them if there's any interest. Smiley
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from NXRunner:
Got two new possible games - Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance (easy mode) on Gamecube, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader on Gamecube. Both will require me to get a lot of practice in, but Cremator's BG:DA run will give me some good ideas to work with. As for RS:RL however, while the first and third Rogue Squadron games have been run, I cannot find any runs on any site as of yet running the second game in the series, so figuring out what times are acceptable will be...interesting.

I'm going to go run through both games as fast as I can now, and I'll put up what current times and projected times are later if they make the cut. BG:DA will probably be slightly longer than the site run due to that the site run is segmented and this would be oneshot.

Edit Note: I have just discovered that Rogue Leader's cutscenes are not skippable on a New Game, so this will factor into run time.

Mike already said no to rogue leader.

I'd say Baldur's Gate would be too slow/luck dependent. The segmented is about an hour, so a live single-segment would be about 1.5 - 2 probably. I don't expect that to be added.