Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617181920 -> <- 1 .. 5 .. 20 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
You got a deletion wish?
Might make a system count while we're at it and add my PS3 to the list.
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Wow, I suck! How have I missed this thread for TEN full days? Sad

I'm definitely coming again this year no matter what, but I like Option 4 (running midweek into MAGFest weekend) with Option 2 being very close behind, but it's not a big deal. MAGFest is something I only cared about because we were all there. Concerning the marathon, I'm in favor of somewhere larger to allow well-behaved audience throughout in the recording area, wherever that is. I loved the casual environment that developed once all the control-freak madness wore off past Day 1 during Marathon 2010, just wished that there was more room. So if that can get fixed then all my suggestions are covered and I'll be very happy with my SDA RL crew! Smiley

Quote from tjp7154:
Yeah.  You better believe it.  Domino's new recipe FTW!!!!

I'm one of the other few who didn't mind the Domino's marathon that happened last time. I'll probably be dining in style with you all again (walking around with the pizza box as my plate)! Also, I'm very sorry I still haven't posted those pics yet TJP. I really had an elaborate thread complete with very detailed commentary in the works but lost progress halfway through twice. Once I get over it (give it a couple of months or so) I'll go for it again and save frequently to have something to show everyone how fun the marathon was last year!

As for what I'd run at this marathon?

Quote from mikwuyma:
Yoshi's Island (2:10:00) - Tri-hex needs his revenge!

I don't really want revenge at a any% SS because for me personally, I'd only want to resort to repetition only if I run out of new games to run. Instead, I want to show how crazy I am by attempting a 100% SINGLE SEGMENT LIVE! I've practiced a couple of times from 1-1 to late world 3/4-1 and I'm very happy with what I can do on an SS-scale so far. A really bad estimate for time so far though would be 3:30:xx-4:30:xx in length, but whatever. The adrenaline I'd have would keep me pumped non-stop!

As far as personal requests go, I'd really like to not get stuck in the overnight shift. Trust me, this is going to be one of the most entertaining runs there, mainly because it's one that's like 4-5 years in the making! Smiley

And for prizes, I really want to donate something personal to get serious donations flowing whenever I'm up. So I was thinking of putting my personal (and only) copy of Yoshi's Island (SNES) autographed and dated by me up for auction to the largest donation during my run, and possibly have a condition like minimum: $300 or something. You like the idea?

Quote from mikwuyma:
Crash Bandicoot 1-3 (not all three, but definitely one of them would be good)

I'm glad you brought that up before I was going to. I actually would love to do Crash Bandicoot 2 100% for the marathon as well! For like, the last year or so, I've seriously considered revisiting Crash 2 whenever I get time to improve it mainly because I don't like the high segment count I have (22 for a sub-2-hour game) and want to polish it with better execution and fewer segments. Doing this speedrun would serve as a great excuse to get off my lazy ass and start practicing for such an improvement.

As much as I'd like to say I'd want to do Jet Set Radio Future as well, I don't think I'll honestly be in "speedrunning live" condition for it in time for the marathon. I have so much Yoshi's Island stuff to still record (over 80 individual level records to do in 100% and any% combined) this year alone. Plus, I want to leave something great for "Marathon 2012" right? Smiley
sda loyalist
Hey trihex, you should do the Crash 2 glitched run too, just to see how many people would donate to stop watching it.

(check TASvideos if you don't know what I mean)
SEGA Junkie
Oh you so beat me to it. Sad

That's possible real time as long as you can keep count, right?
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Quote from Lag.Comb:
Hey trihex, you should do the Crash 2 glitched run too, just to see how many people would donate to stop watching it.

(check TASvideos if you don't know what I mean)

> Confused about WTF you're referring to.
> Go to tasvideos.com for the first time in like, 12-14 months.
> HOLY SHIT! THEY HAVE PS1 SPEEDRUNS NOW! FINALLY!
> HOLY SHIT, PART 2! CRASH BANDICOOT RUNS!
> Play glitched 11 minute Crash 2 run on YouTube
> Wow, going soooo fast! Nice!
> Bouncing on box
> ... for over 30 seconds
> Fast forward 2 minutes
> ... Still bouncing on the same box
> My face:

LOL, seriously, I feel bad for not bothering to bookmark TASVideos since I got my MacBook back in July 2009. I've missed so many TASes! I didn't even know a stable PSX emulator for recording had finally been verified for TAS use. Thanks for showing me this Lag. I'll definitely check out the Crash 2 any% non-glitch 'run tomorrow for any notes on things I could implement into future Crash speedruns.

Quote from mike89:
That's possible real time as long as you can keep count, right?

This. Can anyone fluent with what the hell is going on in that Crash 2 glitched TAS explain to me what's going on to corrupt the memory for massive raep?
Fucking Weeaboo
You've missed a BIG change in TASing.  They've added PSX, NDS, TG-16, Saturn, Virtual Boy (no joke) and DOS.
Quote from mikwuyma:
-Implementing a timer: I know Joshthefunkdoc has implemented one for his runs, so this can't be difficult.

it was that StopWatch thinger whatever, the nico one; I can't find it anymore
I'm reserving this post for the timings on my SDA Marathon-style playthroughs of Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts. Will edit as I complete them.
5/26 - 45:30, 1 life
train kept rollin
I had an idea for a video that could be played during down time. Useing sections from speedruns that (sort of) fit together. e.g Player opens a door at the end of a section, next clip is from a different game but the player is just coming out a door.

Please bare in mind this is not supposed to look good but just to get the idea across. I made it quickly using LQ clips from runs I could remember having the right sort of transitions. So better clips/transistions could obviously be found.

Wouldn't that be where things like runner interviews come in?
or maybe quick 1 on 1 fighting/vs. puzzle/etc matches too. a tournament held continuously during downtime between games might be something to consider, though assuming that transitions are handled more smoothly this time around that probably wouldn't work out logistically. also it might not mesh well with a speedrunning marathon in general, idk.
That idea would be awesome. Except that downtime would be all about swapping games and hooking up consoles.
Talk to the Hand
Rock Band 2 Expert Vocals tournament please. <_<
Haters gonna hate
I have a long drawn out post I'm planning on making at some point soon here, but as for the current issue at hand I really think instead of planning on ways to fill downtime we should instead be planning on ways to minimize it.  Some things are bound to take a good amount of time to set up (races, piano-anything), but with proper planning I'd hope we wouldn't be looking at anything more than a couple minutes.  Really, a large part of the reason the gaps we had last year were as big as they were for that kind of thing is a combination of us not really having the time to plan out the logistics ahead of time due to the whole MAG internet fiasco, general inexperience with setting things like races up, and faulty equipment.  The first two can be cut down on with some prep work, the last with just making sure we have reliable consoles at our disposal (read:  someone needs to refurbish an NES just before this thing).

It just seems silly to me to plan things like videos and mini-tournaments to fill dead space we really should just be planning to eliminate in the first place.  Things like runner interviews and game explanation sound good for the couple minutes here and there we will invariably have to fill, but anything outside of that I think would draw attention away from the marathon runs themselves, and that's really what this thing should be all about.
Glitching EB 1 flying man at a time
Speaking of NES's, I could possibly bring mine as a spare (I say spare since I most likely won't be at the marathon from the very beginning). It's in very good condition after my friend replaced the cartridge holder a few years back. Then we can blame the game on issues next year.  :p

But yea, if I did like Wario Land or something, right now I'd go with an estimate of like 50 minutes, bearing small mistakes I would make with jumps (since getting hit would mean a restart), and being somewhat cautious at times. This time will most likely change as I play it more, though. I'll just keep that game out there; obviously it's not one of the choices right now.
Quote from Breakdown:
I have a long drawn out post I'm planning on making at some point soon here, but as for the current issue at hand I really think instead of planning on ways to fill downtime we should instead be planning on ways to minimize it.  Some things are bound to take a good amount of time to set up (races, piano-anything), but with proper planning I'd hope we wouldn't be looking at anything more than a couple minutes.  Really, a large part of the reason the gaps we had last year were as big as they were for that kind of thing is a combination of us not really having the time to plan out the logistics ahead of time due to the whole MAG internet fiasco, general inexperience with setting things like races up, and faulty equipment.  The first two can be cut down on with some prep work, the last with just making sure we have reliable consoles at our disposal (read:  someone needs to refurbish an NES just before this thing).

It just seems silly to me to plan things like videos and mini-tournaments to fill dead space we really should just be planning to eliminate in the first place.  Things like runner interviews and game explanation sound good for the couple minutes here and there we will invariably have to fill, but anything outside of that I think would draw attention away from the marathon runs themselves, and that's really what this thing should be all about.

I definitely agree with all this - I was just throwing the tournament idea out there. Perhaps any competitive play should just be relegated to a bonus stream like last year. Runner interviews sounds like the best option to fill transitions that might be lengthier than average - in my opinion game explanations should be done for most, if not all, games as the runner is booting the game up, or just starting out.
I want off the ride....
Quote from Breakdown:
The first two can be cut down on with some prep work, the last with just making sure we have reliable consoles at our disposal (read:  someone needs to refurbish an NES just before this thing).

i said i'd bring mine. Its a side loader but i've been fixing it up to work almost perfectly (some games need to be cleaned a bit more) and very soon i will replace the 72 pin again for the marathon if thats really required. If anything comes up, I will be on hand to ensure maintence of my own console and thus all blame lies with me for the main console. I'm sure we will have enough backups it won't be a problem...

As for anything about inbetween times, it would have to be something short that we can show over and over again if there still is delay after the runner interview. Ala the proof of concept video but something shorter, or something more broken up. This would ideally only be used for big events but it would allow the people to see something on the game screen while we are still visible on the 'commentator' cam.
Why does the downtime have to be filled with something?

Talk it out.  Grin
#Casual
Lol, I just thought of an interesting activity people could participate in when we all get together.  We could make a parody/intentionally-cheesy commercial for SDA.

Something like:

Announcer, boy with ball cap turned to the side

Announcer: "Hey, you!"
Boy: "Who, me?"
Announcer:

"Yes!  Are you tired of playing the same games over again?
Poor as dirt?
Robot masters not so "mega" anymore?
Tired of the same old sequence?"

(Boy nodds at questions)

Announcer: "Well cheer up, buckoo and try speedrunning!"

Boy: "Speedrunning?"

....something like that.

Well, it was funny in my mind anyway....
$15 per rant/allegory
So what's the plan for visitors even if they're not speedrunning?

I was going to make a trip to America anyway so I figure I can do it to coincide with this (dead of winter ftw apparantly) and move onto DC, NYC and Boston or something.

I will do my best to get a nice Bayonetta run planned too, I just want to make sure I can come even if I can't run it well.
I won't be going and felt disinclined to read through this whole topic, but a Uncharted/Uncharted II run would probably be well received, the problem would of course be a length of 3/6 hours (guess off the top of my head)

Sorry if someone already suggested them  Tongue
gamelogs.org
uncharted 1 is actually something i may be able to practice for. can't guarantee anything atm though. haven't played uncharted 2 yet but that's also an option (i'll get to it sometime over the summer).
TASer
Wow I'm just seeing this topic now.

Well, umm... I'm just going to be a viewer but I'd really like to see more Kirby and maybe some more Gamecube and GBA games in general (Mario sunshine, Paper Mario 2, Starfox Adventures / Assault, Tony Hawk..., Zelda windwaker <-- These are only suggestions)
As for the date, option 2 would be the best for me (6th ~ 9th, school starts on the 10th of January). If it isn't be going to be around this time I won't be able to follow this marathon much.
Highly Evolved
If I'm able to go, I'd love to do Startropics.
Fucking Weeaboo
I've looked over all the stuff I could do...and realize that there's just WAY too much stuff.  So I'd like to hear from people on what I should do.  Obviously ActRaiser and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror are a lock.  I'd just like to get some input on other things.

I've got links in my signature for now, but here's a bit of an expanded description:

Poll #1: World of Mana Route Choice
This is a choice of 1 of 3 Mana routes. One of them will be run at the marathon.

Poll #2: Castlevania games
This is a selection of various Castlevania games/routes that I would be willing to do at the marathon. This is a multiple selection poll, so vote for all the ones you want to see.

Poll #3: Other Game choices
This poll contains a list of other games I'm willing to run that are not Mana/Castlevania games. Much like the Castlevania poll, this is a multiple selection poll.

Poll #1: http://micropoll.com/t/KEIBdZBIY3
Poll #2: http://micropoll.com/t/KEIBdZBIY6
Poll #3: http://micropoll.com/t/KEIBdZBIY8