Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617181920 -> <- 1 .. 8 .. 20 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
sda loyalist
I'm not the best at Quake by far, but I can try to brush up. Also I mentioned Dynasty Warriors V: Empires in hope of getting a coop partner, but I guess I could still do it singleplayer, it would just be a bit longer. It'll take me a little while to give a time; currently I'm in the process of moving (again) so I don't really have my PS2 to hand.
I want off the ride....
Quote from Lag.Comfy:
I'm not the best at Quake by far, but I can try to brush up. Also I mentioned Dynasty Warriors V: Empires in hope of getting a coop partner, but I guess I could still do it singleplayer, it would just be a bit longer. It'll take me a little while to give a time; currently I'm in the process of moving (again) so I don't really have my PS2 to hand.

i'm a dw beast; if you need a hand but alas; Empires can go slowly or quickly depending on start. and 6 might be better since it is newer.. but alas thats next gen only.
0-10
Quote from Lag.Comfy:
Also I mentioned Dynasty Warriors V: Empires in hope of getting a coop partner, but I guess I could still do it singleplayer, it would just be a bit longer.

I'd ask two things, which scenario were you planning on doing, and would it be an experience run? If you're planning on "A gathering of heroes" then it could conceivably go quickly, especially since you can hand-pick most officers you want. Tongue

When I saw the game in the spreadsheet, I said "Co-op or race, both would be fun" but given how obscure this game is, I doubt a race would be fun to watch for most. I told Molotov in the channel last night that I'd say 2 hours is about what I'd give, but I didn't take everything into account. I'd probably top it off at 3, just to be safe. Agreed?
sda loyalist
Probably Yellow Turban Rebellion with Shu, Rane and I talked a bit and we agree it'd be fastest. No idea where you get 2 or 3 hours from... it might take that if you're playing properly, but if you're just running I'm sure it can be a lot less.

Gathering of Heroes is kinda silly for a speedrun. :p
Fucking Weeaboo
Mike, you are doing Contra: Hard Corps.  Don't give us this "it shouldn't be considered" crap.

ActRaiser race should take about 30-35 minutes.

And I should bring a copy of Nightmare in Dream Land to at least mock race with romscout/MercuryZelda when they do Kirby's Adventure.  Don't care if it's shown or not.

Also, to Josh the Funkdoc, if you want to do the Japanese version of CV3, I can put it on the Wii I'll be bringing, if you want.  The Japanese version of CV3 is the superior version, after all.  Or else if somebody has a working Famicom, I'll bring my actual copy of it.
Exoray
As for the note on Blast Corps, a 100% run would actually be around 2 hours if _PEACHES is playing, so I wouldn't say that it is too long to be in.

regarding MUA, is arcade mode possible with 4 players or is it limited to two players only? Arcade mode should render alot more experience compared to coop mode with the end stage bonus results. Although better, it might still not make it runnable in a reasonable time, we need to test this. A lvl 50 full costume run would probably look pretty boring so if that's our only choice then i'd lean on not including it.
Is PJ
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs should be under 25, definitely.  My record is 20:40 or so, so even with some deaths on the way it shouldn't ever surpass 25 minutes.

I also agree with Lord_VG's Actraiser estimate.  I'd say 30 is very generous for that game, though.  I can use up all my lives and still generally finish under 30 minutes.

What is the verdict on Actraiser 2?  It'd take around an hour with moderately bad luck, and I think it's an entertaining game.  That is extreme personal bias there, though.  After all, it's not very popular.  I'd still love to do it if at all possible.  What about Battletoads & Double Dragon, too?  I can beat that in under 25 any day, and if someone wanted to do a 2P run with me we could cut some time out and make it slightly more entertaining.
gamelogs.org
i can definitely do myst if yall want. can easily get 1:30 and probably 1:20. i haven't played much uncharted 2 yet but seeing as it's an extremely popular game i'll practice it and see what i can come up with.
Visually Appealing
I guess I should ask now if anyone from the northeast is driving down and willing to carpool.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2010-06-12 05:43:32 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
The Date: It looks like most people want to start Friday and end Monday, am I correct? Mind you the marathon will be at least 72 hours. More likely 80-88 if we start around noon on Friday. If we started on Thursday and ended on Monday, that would allow more wiggle room for more obscure games and an extra RPG If we went with a crazy Thursday to Monday schedule, we'd have around 104-112 hours.

The Spreadsheet: I updated it with a very rough total estimated time. It's nearly 60 hours (that includes FFX), and that's omitting...

...the entire Mario series
-Every Zelda game except for the first one
-No Sonic games (I hope this is fixed)
-No DKC2 (which is very likely if Essentia comes)
-Only original and SOTN in the Castlevania series.
-None of the RPGS except for Mass Effect 2 and FFX (and that's 15 hours)

However, there are a lot of games on there that are unlikely to make the final cut, such as God Hand (sorry, but it's too long and cult/SDA-popular at most), and Mega Man 10 (it's pretty long and doesn't seem to be as well-received as 9)

Yes, nearly 60 hours even with all of those omissions. I hope this drives home the point that we need to be really picky about the games chosen.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvcQB6Uj-946dE9YS1JpME1fMFlJSmhRWVJRakg5anc&hl=en#gid=0

BTW Molotov: When you update the spreadsheet with times, DON'T USE DECIMAL POINTS. Google documents will read those times as minutes:seconds, instead of hours:minutes.

PJ: Battletoads in Battlemaniacs is kind of debatable since it's not nearly as popular as the first game, but I'm letting it stay for now.

I cut Actraiser 2 because like you said, it's not a popular game. I'm also iffy about Battletoads and Double Dragon, to be honest.

moooh: 2 hours is a very long time, especially when a more popular game like a Resident Evil or Zelda game can fit in that time. If we have Blast Corps, then 30 minutes is a much better time.

Hmmm, I've never played Arcade mode in MUA, but that might work. Needs to be tested though.

Axel Ryman: I can't exactly insert a 5-hour game by December, because by that time the schedule should be finalized. I'm going to need to know if you can come or not earlier than that.

Arkarian: Cool, tell me how uncharted goes.

Breakdown: About RPGS...

Old school: Depending on how many games and days we hold the event for, we could fit both, but I agree, if I have to choose between one, definitely Chrono Trigger.

Middle school: You make a good point. Final Fantasy 7 would be a great draw if we had someone to run it. Then again, FFX might be just as good of a draw, despite lack of naming.

New school: Either Fallout 3 or an Elder Scrolls game when it comes to new-school rpgs. Or Kingdom Hearts 2.

Sir VG: Hard Corps isn't as popular as the first three Contra games, but I can still do it.

Mickey_Mage: I think Earthbound actually has a very positive cult-following, but I don't think it compares favorably to Chrono Trigger or FFIV.

EDIT: I put the spreadsheet in the bottom of the first post.
Fucking Weeaboo
I wouldn't cry too much of MM10 is taken out, but that does cut me down to 3 games.  Sad
(I don't mean to put a guilt trip on anybody.  It does kinda suck that I'd be down to 3 when I have many more that I can do.  But whatever happens, happens.)

One idea I have is instead of doing Rondo, do Dracula X Chronicles.  I would seriously like a Best Ending race with Satoryu.  Time for that would be under a half-hour.  But it's also his call in doing a race in that game.  Plus it's more action and we wouldn't get stuck with unskippable cutscenes that aren't subtitled in the Wii version.  Plus BRAND SPANKING NEW THIRD FORM.  Yeah.
Visually Appealing
I'm all for it. We'll finally see if English or Japanese voiceovers are superior.
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Quote from mikwuyma:
Axel Ryman: I can't exactly insert a 5-hour game by December, because by that time the schedule should be finalized. I'm going to need to know if you can come or not earlier than that.

In that case you'll need to ask me by the time it needs to be finalized so I can give you a confirmation. If for some reason after that decision is made I get the chance to go, I'll just go to hangout/watch.
Sea of Green
I guess I'd better start practicing Kirby's Adventure and Tetris Mode B, then. Smiley I should be able to give you estimates for those soon...

I'd like the Thursday-Monday schedule just because it would give us some time to set things up--less worrying about screwing up at the last minute.

Also, if we're hard up for Zelda games, I can see what I can do about Minish Cap... no guarantees on that as I've never tried to run it before, but the tricks don't seem too bad to do. Give me a month or two and I'll come back with a solid 'yes' or 'no'. (If I can do it, it'd likely be around 2 and half hours real-time.)
Cool, glad to see Kirby's Avalanche and Icarus are on the spreadsheet Smiley

100 hours sounds like a nightmare for organization, but it would be awesome if it could be pulled off. I definitely would like to see a small portion of games that are a little out of the mainstream (though I understand if this can't happen, really, given the marathon's audience), and 100 hours would help there.

I wish I could offer input on location but I have no experience arranging things in that respect.

Also, if andrewg not posting yet ends up meaning he can't come, and I confirm that I can, I'd be willing to pick up one or two 2D mario games.

Some things for bonus stream content: my girlfriend and I have been playing some cooperative mode Tengen Tetris, and it's really fun. I think that might be pretty entertaining to watch! Also, bomberman multiplayer, c'mon. I've got an SNES multitap I could bring.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Satoryu:
I'm all for it. We'll finally see if English or Japanese voiceovers are superior.

I like that.  We can probably milk this contest for some bets, if we want to go there with the marathon. Smiley
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Crazy idea: Why not Rondo of Blood and Dracula X Chronicles side by side? I know there's differences like the cutscenes, but it might be an interesting watch.
Fucking Weeaboo
Well, Satoryu and I have a bit of a rivalry when it comes to DXC over choice in voice acting (I like the Japanese voice acting while he likes the English, which is mentioned in his notes and his audio commentary for the run), which is why we're interested in this race.  Comparing the original to the remake on one hand is interesting to see what changed, but does kill the race idea.  Whoever is doing Rondo would lose, since they can't reset right away after Maria and have that giant unskippable cutscene after Stage 5, while DXC would just have the extra 3rd form.
Visually Appealing
I actually like the old vs new idea. That sounds interesting.

If not with this game, how about with Mega Man X and Maverick Hunter X?
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Quote from mikwuyma:
Tri-Hex: Glad to see you're as enthusiastic as ever. Now if only you could apply the same enthusiasm to uploading pictures. Tongue Seriously though, the autographed Yoshi's Island is a cool idea, but I'm not sure if having a minimum bid for it is a great idea. Also, which Crash game do you think we should do? I think we should only do one so we have space for other games.

Uploading pictures .. ugh, I had dedicated a few hours to making a thread (was doing embeded videos and stuff in YABB forum-friendly code) and lost all the work on two separate occasions. It burned me a bit but I'm going to get around to it before next year. (It's sad that I'm giving such a big window for results to appear) >_>;

It's all gravy about the minimum bid idea being a no-go; I shouldn't view it as a competitive thing anyway; getting all the wrong ideas.

I would be running Crash Bandicoot 2, specifically. Crash 3 has too much annoying crap that I don't find fun to have to repeat (vehicle levels in general, less exploits to show for lulz,  getting asked 20 million times in the IRC chat why I'm skipping boxes in the Relic Time Trials).

Quote from Molotov:
Mike told me I should post about it here, so hello. I wanted to help out in some way, so I made a spreadsheet of all the game suggestions in this topic and showed it to Mike. From there, he cut out a lot of them. He wanted me to clarify that cut games are not to be taken personally, because they were probably just too unpopular or obscure to be included.

Currently, the list includes the stuff that Mike has approved from these suggestions (oh ho, I'm repeating myself here!). The list is subject to change, so it is by no means final. I think this is everything he wanted me to post about, so here's the actual spreadsheet link:

SDA Marathon 2

Understandable about the Yoshi's Island 100% being too long. I don't have a great idea of a consist time-frame to quote yet (4:30:00 was a "out of nowhere" claim). The current (sarcasm, nearly ALL the videos are outdated and are currently in my queue to be redone) 100% table totals at 2:13:xx when you exclude the GBA levels by Grndino, add an hour as "worst case scenario" (this is just me tossing more BS around without any dedicated practice or evidence) and I can give a better window of 2:40-3:15:xx for completion. Of course, I'll provide proper playthrough times as soon as I can start to practice seriously.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Satoryu:
I actually like the old vs new idea. That sounds interesting.

If not with this game, how about with Mega Man X and Maverick Hunter X?

MMX vs MMMHX I think is a better comparison, as while there's some changes, the general game is the same.

If I were to chose which Old vs New game to do, I'd do either MMX vs MMMHX or Kirby's Adventure vs Kirby - Nightmare in Dream Land over Rondo of Blood vs Dracula X Chronicles.  Both of the first two sets are close enough to be good comparisons.

Plus I guess I'm biased that I want to race Satoryu. Tongue

But if it came down to Rondo vs DXC, then I'll do it.  I'd just rather prefer a DXC race.  But I'll leave the final decision to you, Mike.
sda loyalist
Huh, you mention the Elder Scrolls games... I'm sure I could do Morrowind, maybe not with the latest run strategy because it requires an older version, but definitely the previous one. What was that, 7 minutes something? Put 8-10 to be safe.
DS Dictator
I am not 100% sure if I can make it so put "If he comes" in the comment box.

Shadow Complex (Real time by skipping cutscenes) is around 20 minutes IF I perform all of the toughest tricks correctly.

I can play Castle Crashers but I can't do the flying trick consistently.

I would rather play Streets of Rage 1 over Golden Axe 1. I got some impressive strats on the boss fights many players used to hate in the past, SOR 1 is around 26 minutes at very best  32 minutes at very worst (and there is SOR 2 in the list as well).

What difficulty is SOR 2 is going to be played on?
Haters gonna hate
The possibility of Thursday-Monday is something I hadn't considered, and while it would be harder to plan it would let in more of the games that fall into that "not really obscure but not really popular" category.  I really don't think we'd have difficulties filling the time.  My personal vote for a Friday start was largely due to I'm not sure if I could get the extra day off of work, but if enough people can get there by mid-day Thursday to set up and start playing I don't see any reason why we couldn't make this a 5 day affair (and I could possibly get the extra day, and if not I'd get there Thursday night).

While we're no where close to making a finalized schedule, if we do end up with a Thurs-Mon event we should plan ahead a bit and think what kind of games we want to fall into the time slots popularity-wise.  Friday night through Sunday are obviously going to be our highest traffic times, so we should make sure to put our biggest games in that stretch, but we don't just want to put all our least popular games on either end.  To kick things off we should definitely have a decently popular stretch of games, but not super popular.  I think starting with Mega Man last year wasn't the best choice in retrospect as they were some of the higher profile games we had to offer, not sure what I'd have replaced it with though as we had a lot of really obscure stuff that wouldn't have fit the bill too well and made the semi-popular series we had seem all the more mainstream.  With the bar set higher for popularity this year I think it'll be easier to discern what our huge games are in relation to our big games and plan accordingly.  We also have more longer games, so RPGs won't necessarily be relegated to the overnight shift which can give some of them a time slot offering better exposure and maybe use the night time for some night-appropriate series (RE, DMC, Castlevania).  We should also definitely finish with a bang, and I can think of few better choices than an 'old school' RPG, either FF4 or CT.  A Monday evening start for it wouldn't really exclude anybody who wanted to watch, and if FF6 last year was any indication it's a strong way to finish one of these things.

If you can't tell, I personally like this 5 day idea.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2010-06-13 03:20:29 pm
Not a walrus
Quote from t r i - h e x:
Understandable about the Yoshi's Island 100% being too long. I don't have a great idea of a consist time-frame to quote yet (4:30:00 was a "out of nowhere" claim). The current (sarcasm, nearly ALL the videos are outdated and are currently in my queue to be redone) 100% table totals at 2:13:xx when you exclude the GBA levels by Grndino, add an hour as "worst case scenario" (this is just me tossing more BS around without any dedicated practice or evidence) and I can give a better window of 2:40-3:15:xx for completion. Of course, I'll provide proper playthrough times as soon as I can start to practice seriously.

I'd be slightly concerned about how easy it would be to screw something up and have to redo part of a level just so you could get 100%. I know there's at least half a dozen coins and flowers that you only get one shot per life at, and being unable to use items to save a boss mistake might cause issues.

Of course, I'm also just basing this off what I remember trying for 100% when I actually owned the cart when it was brand new (damn 'friend' borrowed it and never gave it back), so maybe it's not as bad as I'm recalling.

Quote from Greenalink:
Shadow Complex (Real time by skipping cutscenes) is around 20 minutes IF I perform all of the toughest tricks correctly.

I've been wondering, is that 14:14 you have on the leaderboards a fresh run or insurgent?

Either way why haven't you submitted anything? Wink