page  <- 1234567891011121314151617181920 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 20 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Balls jerky
Quote from Breakdown:
Shadow of the Colossus (though I'm wondering how much a consistent SS route would differ from regular play, most of the speed tricks are HARD to nail with any consistency)

honestly I don't know anything about running this game and the site that is referenced in the run comments is totally off my radar so I don't even know how they work. I did find a cool video on youtube how to do the colossus 16 approach, but thats about it. What are the hard tricks to pull off? I wanna try a few. Wink
Haters gonna hate
Well first for Shadow of the Colossus, off the top of my head. . .

Sword launch on #3
Wing drops on #5
Scaling #6 right from the start
Scaling #9 without the geysers
Quick entry to #11's area
The already mentioned #16 approach

Those stand out in my mind, and there's lots of other tricks that aren't exactly easy.

@Tigger77, we could race maybe?

Another thing that should be addressed for this thing is location.  As Mike's already said, he doesn't want to have this at his house again, which is plenty understandable as things were pretty cramped last year and this year will likely be bigger.  There's also the question of where everybody's going to stay as Mike can't put up everybody and with marathon Option #2 we don't have the cheap MAGfest hotel rate to lean on.  My thinking on this is to kill two birds with one stone and look into house rentals.  Spending about 10 minutes with google I found this which is the kind of thing I'm thinking about.  While I'm certainly not saying "let's get this one" (any place would have to be scouted for space and internet connection before making anything final), something like this would carry a lot benefits and suit our purposes pretty nicely.  I'm assuming "sleeps 14" means none of those 14 sleep on the floor so that number can likely increase pretty easily with the help of some sleeping bags.  We'd have a full kitchen so the culinary experts would have a place to do their thing.  We'd be in the city itself, so people who came from afar and want to see the sites DC a bit would be able to do so easily.  Multiple bathrooms, so showers wouldn't be a problem.  And considering we're probably going to be looking at 20+ people, once the cost is split up it becomes very affordable for a 4 or 5 day stay.  Something to consider certainly.
The Running Failure
I honestly think we need a few special hours for mike to do as many Metal Slug games as possible.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
You know what, I'm going to exert my authority and say we're going with option 2. If anyone has any objections speak up now. The big question now is whether to start on Thursday and end on Sunday, or start on Friday and end on Monday. We could be even more insane and start on Thursday and end on Monday if we need that much time, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

RPGS: I'd like two or three RPGS for the marathon, which should be enough for good representation, but also not too long so that our marathon becomes an RPG marathon.

romscout: If amazing mirror is as short as you say, then it sounds like a good addition.

Pootrain: That's a great idea with the pictures. I wish we thought of that when we did the marathon. Sad

Carcinogen: No playing the game twice for RE2. I have no problem with doing the B scenario if someone requests/donates for it, but doing both scenarios is doubling the time for two similar-looking playthroughs, and an hour and a half is already pretty long as is. RE4? I don't know, I think New Game would be better, but I'm not familiar with the game.

Essentia: I agree that Kingdom Hearts 2 would be a good addition. If we had to replace one of the games I suggested it would be FFIV. The problem is someone would have to run Kingdom Hearts 2, and AFAIK, it doesn't look like Axel Ryman is coming? If you want to know which RPGs to practice, I would say FFX and Chrono Trigger. If you come and are willing to run both games, I'll definitely make space for both of them.

Breakdown: I have no problem with starting on Friday, but that means we end on Monday. Remember that this event will be at least 72 hours to account for new games. It's really a question of whether starting on Thursday is less harmful, or ending on Monday is less harmful to viewership and people's schedules.

moooh: I'm not sure about MUA 4-player coop. In theory it's a good idea because it's a popular game, but with 4-players you don't have the reduced damage on your teammates like you do when you're playing with AI partners, and 3 people will be left behind most of the time. There's also the matter that a lot of leveling might be required to make the run consistent, at least if we want to open up the option of character bidding. I guess I could use my level 50 file with full costumes if we wanted to just stomp through the game.

Lenophis: What are you trying to say? What we'll do next year

Vorpaledge: Only one rpg? Oh you're so funny. Also, as much as I would like to play Red Star, I have to say it's a bad choice. Only a couple of people on #sda will know the game, let alone watch it live, and it's nearly 2 hours. But don't worry, there's always bonus streaming!

BTW, have you ever figured out Satvara's shortcuts in POP:SOT?

Shuda51: Funny you mention Metal Slug just as I was writing this post, look below. Also, looking at your games, if Nitrodon comes, then he'll do Cave Story. He's really good at the game and frequently plays single-segment anyway, so a marathon setting wouldn't be too tough for him. Out of the rest of that list SMG 1 or 2 (they're both super popular, but they also take up a ton of time, AFAIK, so we have to pick one or the other), and possibly Deus Ex.

Okay since everyone else is posting lists, I might as well post mine.

List of games I can do easily without much training:

Castle Crashers (I think romscout and UraniumAnchor are up for a multiplayer game, just need one more person)
Contra III (with double the serious this time)
Contra: Hard Corps (debatable whether this should be in the final line-up, but it's short)
Contra: Shattered Soldier (probably shouldn't be in the final line-up, to be honest)
Gunstar Heroes (hey it's still the most renowned Genesis game outside of the Sonic series)
Mega Man X4 (I can take bids for X and Zero)

Games I'll need to review again and practice for, but should definitely be in the marathon:

Metal Slug 1
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 3 (if I practice enough I can take bids for routes)

I'm stopping at 3 because that's considered the pinnacle of the series (unless if you have bad taste like Kennyman666), and the rest of the series isn't as popular. If you're wondering why 2 isn't on that list, play through 2, then play through X, and try to tell me that 2 is worth playing.

Games I'm very willing to pick up for the marathon:

Final Fight
Streets of Rage 2

Out of the two, obviously Streets of Rage 2 is more important, but Final Fight is also a very good game. I'll have to see how I fare with SoR2 though. I'd like to run a newer game too, but I'm not sure what. Maybe Sands of Time and try to race Vorpaledge?

I'll make a list of games people will run for the marathon in the first post soon.
0-10
Quote from mikwuyma:
Lenophis: What are you trying to say? What we'll do next year

Huh?

I'm guessing you had a thought and didn't finish it. I'm only trying to make a suggestion to make multi-person runs (races, etc) set up and execute more smoothly than it sounds like they did at the last marathon.
i've already mentioned this, but i can run metroid fusion (i didn't see it on your list). i think it would fit in nicely next to prime. also, if you want zm again, i can probably run that. i'm pretty sure that i'm better than frezy.
Yeah I forgot to finish what I had to type, Lenophis. What I meant to say is that we'll make sure we have two tvs set up near each other before the event starts.
新世紀進歩的羽扇子 音楽
Quote from mikwuyma:
RPGS: I'd like two or three RPGS for the marathon, which should be enough for good representation, but also not too long so that our marathon becomes an RPG marathon.

I could do Mass Effect 2, I think.  Popular game, recent, I think it'd go over well, I just didn't suggest it in the first place because I'm not too hyped to practice a really easy game that's 3 1/2 hours long (though there's not a whole lot of long dead time).

I do also have to consider whether I'm going to be able to go, though.  At this point, I strongly expect I will, but my spring plans are really up in the air right now so the awkward scheduling could screw them up.
#Casual
we'll need a good script then, Mike
The Running Failure
Quote from mikwuyma:
Shuda51: Funny you mention Metal Slug just as I was writing this post, look below. Also, looking at your games, if Nitrodon comes, then he'll do Cave Story. He's really good at the game and frequently plays single-segment anyway, so a marathon setting wouldn't be too tough for him. Out of the rest of that list SMG 1 or 2 (they're both super popular, but they also take up a ton of time, AFAIK, so we have to pick one or the other), and possibly Deus Ex.

Allright, sounds good. It'll be neat to see a live run of Cave Story.

And hopefully someone does Deus Ex, that game is too awesome not to be done.

Quote from mikwuyma:
Castle Crashers (I think romscout and UraniumAnchor are up for a multiplayer game, just need one more person)

Ehhh....I could possibly do it, but i'd need some more practice, and that's if i'm even going to BE there, which might be tough since i already have a big trip planned.

Quote from mikwuyma:
Metal Slug 1
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 3 (if I practice enough I can take bids for routes)

I'm stopping at 3 because that's considered the pinnacle of the series (unless if you have bad taste like Kennyman666), and the rest of the series isn't as popular. If you're wondering why 2 isn't on that list, play through 2, then play through X, and try to tell me that 2 is worth playing.

Ok, i'll try. "Metal Slug 2 is worth play--" *dies*

Yeah, series takes an immediate nose dive after 3, but it'd be kinda cool (ok, it'd be retardly stupid, but whatever) to see a run of Metal Slug XX, or atleast a 1 minute "Here's what they decided to give us hardcore, dedicated fan--  NEXT GAME!"
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Quote from mikwuyma:
Carcinogen: No playing the game twice for RE2. I have no problem with doing the B scenario if someone requests/donates for it, but doing both scenarios is doubling the time for two similar-looking playthroughs, and an hour and a half is already pretty long as is.

Quick thought, how about 1 A Scenario and 1 B Scenario played at the same time?

Quote:
Essentia: I agree that Kingdom Hearts 2 would be a good addition. If we had to replace one of the games I suggested it would be FFIV. The problem is someone would have to run Kingdom Hearts 2, and AFAIK, it doesn't look like Axel Ryman is coming?

Currently its a 50-50 chance. Right now we're waiting for Unemployment to make their decision on my mother's appeal. If we get it, then she'll give me some money, and I can put it towards the event. The other option for me right now is to get a call from a hiring store, but then I'll have to find a way to take time off. Its possible, but who knows. I can have a full on confirmation on my status by...November the latest, or even mid-December.

Quote:

Give me 10 minutes to practice the combos you used in your run and I'm set.  Tongue Kidding.
gamelogs.org
the house idea sounds pretty good to me. shouldn't be very expensive at all either.
Edit history:
MatrixTN: 2010-06-11 12:18:04 am
You got a deletion wish?
Mike, I haven't played Streets of Rage 2 in a long time but if you want a 2P, I'm willing.  What's your game plan for it?

And is Thexder Neo still a consideration? (I wouldn't call it obscure if you're familiar with the original, there's even an option to PLAY the original) As stated before, I will run on Normal Mode (can I do a 2nd run with NO SHIELDS if donation requests want it?)  Still haven't determined a tentative time estimate.

I'm still in, though I'd like to be active this time.
Talk to the Hand
Quote from mikwuyma:
Games I'm very willing to pick up for the marathon:

Final Fight
Streets of Rage 2

Out of the two, obviously Streets of Rage 2 is more important[...]

You decide which of the two games to run by which one fulfills more of the following criteria:
1. Which one has MIKE HAGGAR in it?

That is all. Cheesy

Okay, so option 2 it is. Of the two, I think it's slightly easier on me if we start Friday. I don't know how that would affect viewership, though, and I in all likelihood should be able to go to either. Whichever one you pick, though, sew it up as quickly as possible so I can get that nice chunk of time (That weekend plus the next week for MAGFest) off from work.
I survived MIKE-Fest 1
Race woude be awesome brackdown know I'm realy motivated to do that game  Grin

Also I suggesting letting the Marathon end at Sunday night 12 - 3 or somthing like that with some mind blowing like FFX do get the liked the whole stream and will donate know as it is finsihed people donating or a game with a lot of character renaming
I want off the ride....
side thought on dates. if we could 6-10 might be a good call.....
i mean Thursday - Sunday.

1. We don't have to start on thursday but could run little teaser streams generating hype and awareness for the start on Friday, Also it makes picking everyone up over 2 days not as big of a deal. not everyone has to show up on thursday but, for anyone who wants to watch they can see a little of the starting action. This also lets us verify that everything is working (games/consoles), and that we can even rig up any special events that are planned (Ala pianotoads), and that it works across the stream.

2. This allows anyone who is cooking to get there early, get situated, and figure out a finalized food plan to make almost everyone happy (Sorry but molotov won't be happy unless its pizza 24/7).

3. Since we will finish heading into Monday, this lets people get some rest for having to leave. And we can break down flights and such to get everyone out.

4. We can be ready to start on friday with whoever will be there slightly early (starting at noon or so), and everything will be cool. Even if people are still on entrance onto the marathon grounds.
---
cons
1. Thursday could end up being expensive for those who don't show up early, because of the fewer people there.

2. Monday could be travel hell; saying no more

3. This also depends on what happens to be the final word on where we end up staying....

=====

something to consider....
I donno why i asked mom about it (well she was in the business of hotels for a bit), but getting a suite and a block of rooms could help... but Alas i think it'd be more expensive. But provided we check the hotel for internet connection first, it should be ok. but presents problems with special events.
Fucking Weeaboo
Block groups can give you a discount, but it partially depends on number of rooms, what the expected occupancy is for that night, and how nice the sales manager is.

It also is a good idea to see what the hotel has for banquet rooms and what their internet service is.

(Not that I wouldn't, you know, know stuff about hotels.)
Glitching EB 1 flying man at a time
Mike: Yeah, personally I'd rather play Wario Land than Joe and Mac anyway. Tighter tricks in Wario Land means more entertainment for the crowd than how easy Joe and Mac can be.

Also, would I be playing this on the Super Gameboy at the marathon, or the Gameboy Player? I'd prefer SGB, but that's only because it's all I own right now... I guess I could just bring my own SGB if no other games will be played on it.
gamelogs.org
Quote from RaneofSOTN:
1. We don't have to start on thursday but could run little teaser streams generating hype and awareness for the start on Friday, Also it makes picking everyone up over 2 days not as big of a deal. not everyone has to show up on thursday but, for anyone who wants to watch they can see a little of the starting action. This also lets us verify that everything is working (games/consoles), and that we can even rig up any special events that are planned (Ala pianotoads), and that it works across the stream.

this sounds like a very good idea to me. a day of setup > a few hours of setup. and of course not everyone would need to be there for that.
Not a walrus
If there's anybody else planning on staying the entire week and a half, I'm probably going to try to fill the days between the marathon and MAG with touristy stuff. Baltimore Aquarium, National Air and Space museum, DC itself, maybe something else. If anybody wants to join in they're more than welcome, I'm bringing a friend with me (he won't be participating in the marathon but he wants to be there).
Haters gonna hate
Let's talk RPGs for a moment, as they will undoubtedly be one of our biggest draws both viewer and donation-wise.

I like how the suggestions for games are shaping up as the apparent front runners now represent three different eras.  Three seems to be a good number for RPGS due to their length (those three games will take up 20-25% of this thing) and having one from the 16-bit, PSX/PS2, and next gen time periods seems appropriate to me somehow.  So let's look at the candidates by era:

Old school:  Judging by the way conversation has been going it seems this is more or less down to either FFIV or Chrono Trigger.  Both would be great for this thing, but though it pains me to say it a bit, but I think Chrono Trigger almost has to get the nod here.  I was a big fan of the ongoing Namingway bidding idea, but CT has an undeniably huge following and I could see some big donation numbers getting generated for the nameable characters.

New school:  I know next to nothing about the current gen RPGs, and the only one really suggested thus far is Mass Effect 2.  I know it's popular, so that sounds good to me.  Not sure what else in the way of candidates there is out there (Fallout 3 maybe?).

Middle School:  Really, this almost has to be a FF game.  There's plenty of other good RPGs in this span, but none with the fan base this series has to offer.  7 through 10 all have more than their fair share of fans (I'd say 12 is flat out though).  There's a lot of talk about 10 getting the nod here, but I'm personally a little wary of that for a couple reasons.  First off:  1 nameable character (if memory serves you can name aeons too, but I don't see that being quite the same draw for the viewers).  Second:  voice acting.  From a commentary standpoint it's very easy to talk over text, voice acting not so much, and it'd kill any chance of adding our own humorous voice overs (see Carcinogen doing Ultros and the opera scene in FF6 last year).  Those are my two biggest concerns certainly, and two games from that era that don't have either of those going against it are 7 and 9, (hell, 8 too, but I think it's the dark horse candidate from these 4 games).  I personally think it should be one of those two that gets the spot this year (7 obviously being the more generally popular options, though 9 has a ton of fans too, not sure how SS friendly it is though).  Of course, the big deciding factor is who is willing to do it (which is an obvious non-factor for 10 currently), and I wouldn't say 10 is a bad choice by any stretch.

That got rambly, done for now.  Thoughts?
Glitching EB 1 flying man at a time
Well I have a thought for the next marathon (not the one coming up, but the one after if it does continue) if old school RPGs are still in the mix; Earthbound. The problem I see with mike taking that one, though, is that it's more of a cult following kind of game than anything (I hear more bad about it from people online than good Sad )... Just thought I'd throw that out there since I might be the one doing that one if it gets accepted (also depends on how much practice time I get to plan a SS run 5 hours long, too...).

But anyway, about this years RPGs, CT and FFX sound great for the two games to do (of the older and middle gen systems).
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Mickey_Mage:
Mike: Yeah, personally I'd rather play Wario Land than Joe and Mac anyway. Tighter tricks in Wario Land means more entertainment for the crowd than how easy Joe and Mac can be.

Also, would I be playing this on the Super Gameboy at the marathon, or the Gameboy Player? I'd prefer SGB, but that's only because it's all I own right now... I guess I could just bring my own SGB if no other games will be played on it.

Since romscout and I are doing KatAM, we'll have Gameboy Players there, if you want to use it.
Mike told me I should post about it here, so hello. I wanted to help out in some way, so I made a spreadsheet of all the game suggestions in this topic and showed it to Mike. From there, he cut out a lot of them. He wanted me to clarify that cut games are not to be taken personally, because they were probably just too unpopular or obscure to be included.

Currently, the list includes the stuff that Mike has approved from these suggestions (oh ho, I'm repeating myself here!). The list is subject to change, so it is by no means final. I think this is everything he wanted me to post about, so here's the actual spreadsheet link:

SDA Marathon 2
Yes molotov is right, I cut the stuff, not him.