Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617181920 -> <- 1 .. 11 .. 20 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Weegee Time
On the subject of podcasts, we might try hitting up net@night on the TwiT network.
Not a walrus
If somebody wants to provide a 468x60 banner I can put one into the Something Awful banner rotation.
contraddicted
Some thoughts about advertising:
Get some artwork, the one last year was very nice, imo.
Use that for an advertising banner and send it to UA. In the meantime we should get a page up on SDA about the second marathon, that gets updated whenever there's something fixed again that could be of (casual) interest to potential viewers. Game list should only contain certain titles that are in without any debate at the beginning, if the runner is sure to come. Unless the schedule is fixed, some surely happening top titles and the mention of the duration and "lots more" is better than changing a lot and often.
Don't forget to use the artwork on that page and add an introductionary paragraph summing up how great last year was, and link to the old marathon, maybe some highlights of it. Banners and such should then link to this site.

Hmm, adding a permanent link on the SDa frontpage might be a bit early yet, but when time closes in on the event it might be worth rethinking.

Anyways, there needs to be some sort of brief overview on the upcoming event before you start spreading advertisements through any channels outside SDA. If people are interested and heard briefly about it because it just was mentioned somewhere, they might google for things like sda marathon or look at the frontpage. So if they aren't going to find something there, they'll likely just forget about it and won't look again, even if they hear of it again later. Making good use of social multipliers is likely the key to spread the word. If TSG is going to mention that there's going to be an awesome marathon no one should miss in about a month, this will definitely generate page hits, same if some popular guy who's a center of attention writes about that on his facebook, blog, or w/e.

As I said, just some thoughts to raise proper discussion.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
EvilJogga: Banner with a link to the marathon page is still too early, but we should still consider ideas and how to improve it from last year.

Rakuen: Okay I'm really dumb, what's net@night on the TwiT network. Also, I'm pretty sure most of our advertising this/last year (dumb New Year's) was word of mouth or UltraJman.

Anyway, more importantly, the date for the marathon has been settled. We're going all the way and having it Thursday January 6th-Monday the 10th, making it at least 100 hours.

This means we'll have more space for some of the less popular games, and more awesome gaming in general. Cheesy

And yes, Biospark, this means Metroid Fusion will be on the running list to stay.
Weegee Time
TWiT (This Week in Tech) is perhaps the largest technology oriented podcast network.  net@night is a weekly cast specifically oriented toward cool things found on the Internet.
Okay thanks, Rakuen

I forgot to mention that I proposed running TMNT 4 again for this marathon, and most people agreed it's a good idea. So I'm going to run it again for this marathon. I think I'll try to practice as other characters too, in case if viewers request them (with donations of course ;))
Talk to the Hand
Good news: Despite your cruelly denying me and the audience a potential double-dose of MIKE HAGGAR, I have the time off for this plus MAGFest. So if all goes well, I should be there sometime Thursday afternoon with Silver in tow. Smiley
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from mikwuyma:
Okay thanks, Rakuen

I forgot to mention that I proposed running TMNT 4 again for this marathon, and most people agreed it's a good idea. So I'm going to run it again for this marathon. I think I'll try to practice as other characters too, in case if viewers request them (with donations of course ;))

Hopefully by the time of the marathon I will be good enough for a co-op run of this Smiley
SEGA Junkie
Quote from mikwuyma:
UPDATE: Actually, Breakdown came up with a good name, "Awesome Games Done Quick."

[quote author=mike89, on page 1]
I hereby christen this marathon "Awesome Games Done Quick".[/quote]

Cry

Good to see this is progressing! I'm still disenchanted by the lack of Sonic but Sonic games are hard to speedrun, mmkay, so I guess you're excused. Wink
Is PJ
Quote from mikwuyma:
This means we'll have more space for some of the less popular games, and more awesome gaming in general. Cheesy

If at any point, you decide we need more awesome gaming of less popular games, let me know.  Those are my specialty.  Haha.  I can definitely fill some space.
gamelogs.org
finished uncharted 2 today -- it's looking likely i'll be able to run it for the marathon. if i do, i'm going to play on very easy since normal just takes longer (enemies on normal can take a lot of shots) and wouldn't be any more entertaining. so it's looking like a new game on very easy would be best.

there's also a ton of skins you can use (like a skeleton, francis drake, etc) so maybe people would want to bid on who i should play as.
Not a walrus
You can put SNES PoP tentatively on the schedule if you want, place it at about 40 minutes at least because there's no way I'm doing the sword skip live and I'll probably die at least once. The game is unforgiving as fuck, as I'm sure many of you know.
train kept rollin
Another possiblity for free/easy advertising would be to design a flyer that we can ask shops to put up in their window nearer the date with details etc.
You got a deletion wish?
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
You can put SNES PoP tentatively on the schedule if you want

Since Sands of Time is on the list already, I could probably do Warrior Within and/or Two Thrones (I have PS2 versions, don't have SoT myself but am familiar with it so I can volunteer for commentary).  I also have Forgotten Sands (PS3) but haven't played it yet.

Don't know what time estimates would be sufficient for WW & TT, and I won't be able to practice for a week (sister's BF borrowing my PS2 and my PS3 isn't reverse compatible).  Incidentally, I'm about to see the PoP movie tonight (was at a baseball game but it's been halted due to rain).
I could offer my Fable 2 run for the marathon, provided i could get there (where is this taking place (state/city) again? Fairly sure it is not too far away from me just wanna check) and it would be welcome.

The run lasts about 3:45 and in fact I intend to submit a run of it soon (gunna run it a few times in a row, get a good tiem and send it in) but I can run the game quite reliably, thankfully the glitches all work rather smoothly.

I would understand if not, a 3 hour + RPG may be a bit long for a marathon but *shrug* may as well offer it. I would offer to do SM64 but my times are all around 28 mins... I could go hardcore at it till the marathon could proly bring it down to 25 mins or so if I got all the lil shortcuts down (Have issues with two of the stars in an optimal run) but I am sure there is prolly someone already available who could run it better then me.
Fucking Weeaboo
The marathon would be in/around the Washington DC area.
It's time for some HEErooooOOOOHi cs!
I just thought of something about running Metroid 1, would you guy's prefer an any%, 100%, or just two boss run?

I've mostly been working on any%, but with all the time still out there I could work on either of the other two as well.
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2010-06-28 05:38:31 pm
Willing to teach you the impossible
If it would be interesting at all, and given I could make it there (working out the details about that now), I could run Super Double Dragon. I just recently finished a run for it with the time of 42:03. But I had some decent luck. So if you wanna schedule it at all, say 45ish min. Just an idea. And I am submitting my run here soon as well. So that would give the chance to see if it would be worth it.

EDIT: I will be able to make it there. Given Frezy is there, I am sure he will be, we can do it side by side. And I am really excited to be able to go. I am really looking forward to meeting quite a few of you in person.
Actually Heidman, I have some terrible news. I pmed Frezy_Man yesterday, and this is what he said.

Quote:
I know that I said I would join the marathon next year and I regret that now. I am pretty sure that I will not show up this year. It's such a long and expensive trip and I have the school and family to take care of. I have been there two years in a row now. It was a great time last time for sure though.

Cry

Let us all mourn in silence for one Swede of Speed.

I do have some good news though, Cody Miller says there's a good chance he can come to the marathon, so Halo should be well-represented.

Warrior Within or Two Thrones: These aren't bad choices, but the problem is that they're considerably longer than the first game, and not as well-liked. I'm really not sure about including these games for the marathon.

UltraJMan: I'm thinking any%.

Super Double Dragon: Too obscure, sorry.

Ilseroth: Cool, keep me updated whether you can come or not.

sinister1: That would be cool, but we would have to practice ahead of time because 2-player mode has more enemies.
The Running Failure
Just a general update of some things: Due to budget constraints and time constraints, i'm having to choose between this event and a forum meet up with another group. Due to this, my position as possible co-runner for CC is in grave danger at this point, unless yall are willing to do it over Live, which is kinda moot considering the point of the event is having everyone there.

In other news, for the downtime videos, you could play the highlights of different videos that the members have made that are somewhat related to the event. Maybe different people saying: "Hey, this is <insert name here>, and you're watching Awesome Games Done Quick". Or some members' videos of them running a game and failing or their highlights of a run or something.
BTW, I was thinking that if we could have one ps/ps2 era Final Fantasy, it should be Final Fantasy 7. Yes, that means if someone ran FF7, then FFX might not be in because having 18-20 hours for just two games from the same series is too much, IMO. Even if the series we're talking about is Final Fantasy.

I hope you're not offended by what I just said, Essentia.

Shuda51: No big deal, I hope you have fun at your forum event. But even ignoring the fact you wouldn't be at the event, we couldn't play this over Live because Castle Crashers netplay is incredibly laggy.
Everything's better with Magitek
No problem, Mike; FF7 is definitely more popular than FFX.  I don't know that I'd have time to work out a route for it, though, since I'm planning to do Chrono Trigger and be a backup for Kingdom Hearts 2.  Would anyone else be willing to run FF7?
If you're still needing something to fill the "down time" between runs, I could play piano between them. Not necessarily tracks from the upcoming game (I can't play everything) but I do know lots of videogame stuff. I'll be bringing my own digital piano to the marathon, so it'll be a line-in instead of needing to be mic'd. This is pretty direct logistically, just switch on my audio line when a run is over and I'll start playing. The piano can be anywhere it fits, too, since I don't really NEED to be on-camera to play piano, just audio should work fine.

The number of tracks I've recorded and put up on my website is about 1/2 the stuff I can play.
http://danielbrown.vgpiano.com/audio.htm
I want off the ride....
Bashed my head against FF4-HT last night. I got to Zeromus Save at 6:02. With a LOT of screwing around.. (lololol lvl 53 edge anyone?), Hard type is a lot worse. It took me a long time to do some fights cause they are just statistically worse {Hello Cagnazzo and his 2x strength tidal wave.. Thank god I picked up that ZeusRage on the way to him...}, and some fights were just bad luck... {Seriously Lugae? Killing rydia EVERY TURN!?}.

doing it on a ff2 cart shouldn't (without horrible luck on the dmachines) go above 5 hours. Allow extra time for Namingways, 5:30 ... but thats all your guy's call. Thats worst case. Though I still need to perfect a zeromus strategy but i'm working on HT now, and well the ff2 cart will be there later.

Deign walked me through a lot of crap last night...

I think I could do Hard type now though too (take a little longer to get some chests to make it viable).
Everything's better with Magitek
That's strange - I followed the SS Nicovideo speedrun, and to me it seems like hard type is easier to run because of the extra abilities and items (especially the elemental bombs and items that cast haste/slow).  Have you watched that run, Rane?  The main problem I ran into was that I was playing the Chronicles version, and it seems that the battle speed is much faster on the PS than on the SNES.  I had to slow the battle speed down quite a bit to be able to survive many of the later bosses.  Then when I was trying to level up inside the Giant, even with the battle speed on slow I couldn't get a turn before the d. machines, so I'd usually get wiped out.

If someone actually had a hard type SNES cart, that would probably be the best thing to run the game on.