page  <- 12345678910111213141516171819 -> <- 1 .. 14 .. 19 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Precursor
Frezy is indeed the man. A big thumbs up from me.

Still want to say that even if this is absolutely great, the rest of you who have been looking for places shouldn't stop looking, because having more choices is always the best.
bläää
And about receipts. I think we would be able to cream out a lot if we tried to.

We can have entrance fees and donations. For entrance fees one modell could be that outlanders and marathon runners goes trough for free or lower costs. other swedish visitors will have to pay.

We can use premiumservices during and after the marathon. For example payments for highest quality. Gathering extra materials that we can put togheter and sell afterwards. I also think sponsors and and advertising have a great possibility.
Make it so.
Frezy you absolute hero, this looks amazing.

With regards to sponsors and advertising, I'll start sounding out all the organisations and internet based stuff that I'm part of and see if there is any interest.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
I remember a post a few pages ago saying that upload speed be the greatest issue, so what can the cultural centre in Skövde offer us? xD

Apart from that: You are so the man! No-one said that yet, did they? xD

(slightly off-topic, but what are the costs of the american venues, and how do they raise that money?)
Infinite Combo
no matter what, this marathon is gonna be beast! I hope everyone will be able to play at their best when the time comes Cheesy
Edit history:
KenDeep: 2012-01-11 02:46:07 pm
KenDeep: 2012-01-11 02:45:48 pm
Running: RnF,Kof98, ALIEN HOMINID???
Quote from Frezy_man:
Co-operate with other other gamingorgnanization might be a good idea for creating events. I think of companies organizing competitions in fighting and strategy games and shooters. They have a lot of good experience equipment and money.

Getting sponsored could be a bit problematic, since the community is pretty split. I'm no part in the Sf4-Community which is the wealthier part of the community. The "oldguys"-community pretty much thrives on "what is mine, is yours", so we just meet occasionally. We don't have the ressources for much more. I can still open a thread in there, but I can't guarantee anything.
Hockey enthusiast
Quote from KennyMan666:
Still want to say that even if this is absolutely great, the rest of you who have been looking for places shouldn't stop looking, because having more choices is always the best.

Well spoken.

Quote from Tiberius:
With regards to sponsors and advertising, I'll start sounding out all the organisations and internet based stuff that I'm part of and see if there is any interest.

I think promotion can wait until there's at least some dates and arrangement set in stone. Brainsstorming for ideas doesn't hurt. But contacting potential sponsors saying something like. "Hey, som guys you might have heard of are going to host charity-marathon something during late summer. Are you interested?"

Better to be prepared to the teeth saying something like. "The SDA community are going to host their first ever European charity event. We are an international community with passion for gaming and our last event reached out to over a million viewers and we managed to raise over 145.000$ to  the Preventing Cancer Foundation. *Bla bla bla yadda yadda yadda making a good case*."

You know, make it sound professional.

Great job looking up the venue Frezy_man!

Anyway. Enough ranting... Bottom line.

KISS - Keep It Stupid Simple. And work from there! Get inputs from the American guys. Their knowledge is invaluable.

Organizing an event of this scale is no job for one person. I would love to get involved somehow and help anyway I can. Be it to run a taxi service to pick up runners, be it to clean the toilets.

For anyone who is interested in reading the Post that I submitted in the community, you can read it up here:
http://forum.hardedge.org/miscellaneous/games-consoles/13434-european-games-done-quick/
Knowledge of the german language is required. Cheesy

I plugged this Thread there so they can view the situation for themselves.
I am SO there.
Speedrunner
Nice going with the locale Frezy.

http://www.skovde.se/Kultur/Kulturhus/KOM---Konferens-o-Motesguide/Moteslokaler/Valhall-Freja-m-fl-i-Kulturhuset/
Is this Freja? Looks good. Lots of room for everyone to sleep.

And the internet there was good? Fiber?
Edit history:
ozzy88: 2012-01-11 03:03:09 pm
[quote="Frezy_man"]And about receipts. I think we would be able to cream out a lot if we tried to.

We can have entrance fees and donations. For entrance fees one modell could be that outlanders and marathon runners goes trough for free or lower costs. other Swedish visitors will have to pay./quote]

Taking a small fee from visitors could be all right, the runners already have enough to pay for...and the money we would spend on the entry fee would only go to the cost of the location anyway, right?

Quote from Frezy_man:
We can use premiumservices during and after the marathon. For example payments for highest quality.

You mean the people watching would have to pay for higher quality stream? Or to get high quality downloads afterwards? I don't really like that idea. The other marathons have been without any restrains for the one watching and been focused on free entertainment with the possibility to donate for more entertainment and of course charity.

Quote from Edenal:
Quote from KennyMan666:

Well spoken.

True dat.

Quote from Edenal:
Quote from Tiberius:

I think promotion can wait until there's at least some dates and arrangement set in stone. Brainsstorming for ideas doesn't hurt. But contacting potential sponsors saying something like. "Hey, som guys you might have heard of are going to host charity-marathon something during late summer. Are you interested?"

Better to be prepared to the teeth saying something like. "The SDA community are going to host their first ever European charity event. We are an international community with passion for gaming and our last event reached out to over a million viewers and we managed to raise over 145.000$ to  the Preventing Cancer Foundation. *Bla bla bla yadda yadda yadda making a good case*."

I gotta agree on this one. (the waiting and making it professional part)

Quote from Edenal:
KISS - Keep It Stupid Simple. And work from there! Get inputs from the American guys. Their knowledge is invaluable.

Yes, help from them would be great! Don't be afraid to ask questions about how they handled different situations when it comes to planning this out.

Sorry that I'm not coming with much own thoughts but I think it's important that we try to give our opinions on these suggestions/possibilities.
Edit history:
Chrno: 2012-01-11 03:05:56 pm
Chrno: 2012-01-11 03:05:37 pm
WOW.
Mojang = Perfect sponsor.

Edit: Because I totally spelt that right :D.
Quote from dxtr:

http://www.skovde.se/Kultur/Kulturhus/KOM---Konferens-o-Motesguide/Moteslokaler/Valhall-Freja-m-fl-i-Kulturhuset/

He said that Freja was the main area, not the sleeping area.
Speedrunner
Quote from ozzy88:
Quote from dxtr:

He said that Freja was the main area, not the sleeping area.

"FREJA will be our main area and BALDER will be the marathon room (at least that is my plan right now)."

Maybe he meant Freja to be the main area for sleeping and casual gaming.

ANYHOW, it looks great!
bläää
I meant Freja being the main area for gaming. The picture of Freja is correct, thanks for finding that one. We can have the marathon on the projector all the time so that the visitors can watch it.

Loke is the way I was planning as sleeping area. about half the size of Freja.

One of the most important factors for creating a good marathon would be if as many runners as possible could show up. I think it would be good if as many as possible give "thumbs up" for this location and date. The sooner the better that we can put up an impressive list and also motivate the organizers even more.
Make it so.
Quote from Edenal:
Quote from Tiberius:

Yeah very good point, maybe I was getting slightly excited to quickly haha.

By the way, for the future, I have a close friend who is an extremely good graphic artists and I'm sure she would be willing to make posters/banners for us if I asked nicely

Quote from Frezy_man:
One of the most important factors for creating a good marathon would be if as many runners as possible could show up. I think it would be good if as many as possible give "thumbs up" for this location and date. The sooner the better that we can put up an impressive list and also motivate the organizers even more.

I agree with this, although I will keep checking out the possibility of other locations etc, at the very least you can put my name down as a 100% thumbs up for this as a potential location/date.
Quote:
By the way, for the future, I have a close friend who is an extremely good graphic artists and I'm sure she would be willing to make posters/banners for us if I asked nicely

Like I've already said, I would be willing to do those things + prizes for free. So even if I were to not come to this event, I would be able to participate in it.
And guys, please don't overlook what I've posted on the last page. Just to remind you Wink
SEGA Junkie
Uhh, you do realise that Aug 6-14 runs right through the Olympics, don't you? I think that would be just about the worst time to run a charity marathon.
The Speedrunning Teacher
Quote from mike89:
Uhh, you do realise that Aug 6-14 runs right through the Olympics, don't you? I think that would be just about the worst time to run a charity marathon.

If not the worst time, it would be difficult to compete with at least.
WOW.
Quote from Zyre:
Quote from mike89:

If not the worst time, it would be difficult to compete with at least.

D:
Precursor
I'm honestly not seeing a major target audience clash, but that could be because I have absolutely zero interests in actual sports.
Precursor
Was actually thinking of contacting notch myself about it. He always donates a lot to these things, I'm sure he'd be interested in attending one, especially if it's in Sweden.

There's also another a-bit-less-famous-but-still-well-known person I already briefly spoke to about it on the marathon chat. Not going to say who it is, but if we're going to be in Skövde, it's almost certain we can get him to appear and do a run.
Edit history:
Chrno: 2012-01-11 05:56:39 pm
Chrno: 2012-01-11 05:50:41 pm
WOW.
Quote from KennyMan666:
Was actually thinking of contacting notch myself about it. He always donates a lot to these things, I'm sure he'd be interested in attending one, especially if it's in Sweden.

There's also another a-bit-less-famous-but-still-well-known person I already briefly spoke to about it on the marathon chat. Not going to say who it is, but if we're going to be in Skövde, it's almost certain we can get him to appear and do a run.

Dare I ask if there is a possibility that Notch could do a run? A really long shot, but damn, we would break Twitch.tv with the amount of viewers.
Precursor
Well, I don't know what notch could run, though I hear Minecraft - which is a game I personally do not care about, but I of course know how popular it and notch is for getting notch to attend to be an attraction - is technically runnable now in some mode. I'll ask him when I contact him, which obviously won't be until after the 31st.

The other person I'm talking about has a run on this very site, so that's what I asked about in the chat.
Totally rad
Chrno, that would be absolutely amazing. It's impossible to get such good publicity elsewhere Smiley