page  <- 12345678910111213141516171819 -> <- 1 .. 13 .. 19 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Speedrunner
Quote from Svenne:
Damn, do you know how expensive that game is!?

Not the German-version that i mentioned. But yes, the SCN is pretty expensive. Game sucks anyhow! Smiley
Precursor
Yeah, after the N64 generation I think pretty much all games can run in 60hz even on PAL.
Running: RnF,Kof98, ALIEN HOMINID???
Playstation 2 is still 50Hz on PAL, since most games are region locked. You either need a modded PS2 to play the NTSC-Games or you have to hope that the game has built-in 60Hz Mode. And just to clarify something, which many people miss: PS3 PAL will have a 50Hz Lock if not connected via HDMI! The Game speed runs on "60Hz", but the PS3 forces it into 50Hz and thus there will be skipped frames and input will always be taken in 50Hz mode. Gamecube should be 50Hz Pal also. As far as I know, xBox 360 and Ps3 are the first consoles to implement a  general 60Hz mode (PS3 if used with HDMI).
Infinite Combo
not ALL PS2 games are 50hz >_> well then again, they ask for NTSC 60hz, but like GameCube has PAL 60 games
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
I know I haven't been on here for a few days, but I have no problem getting to Sweden for a marathon, esp since it looks like I can get there from the UK for about £100. I'm basically a "yes" wherever.

I know most of my bro's GC games always ask to go to 60hz mode, is there any difference between NTSC and PAL 60?
Audio-guy. twitchtv:ohgoddamnit
PAL 60 should be more vertical resolution and a wider colour gamut (is that even the right buzzword?). The PS3 enters 50hz when PAL and CRT despite all televisions made after 95 for the Euro market carrying RGB Scart 60hz capabilities.

As much as I wish I could practice a speedrun I have to sadly say, I wish we could beat fibromyalgia *and* cancer. Just went through the Azura's Wrath demo and I'm out of physical work and gaming commission for a few days.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Just for the protocol: If the marathon shall happen in Sweden, and nothing universitish or likewise life-threatening stops me going there, I shall be there. And that could possibly be the case for a lot of non-Swedes: that they're just quiet, while (a) people tend to say much quicker, that they cannot and will not be there because of crap and crap is stupid, and (b) Swedes that have posted here are probably all so 'OMG coolz, it's near my home I will so definitely beeeeee theeeaaaar!' that they cannot keep quiet either.
I don't think it makes sense to open an I'm-attending-thread before a location has been decided on, but I'm sure that both Sweden and Germany would get a respectful amount of European runners who just want to be there ^^

Side-note: Any-one in for Co-ops of Goof Troop or Asterix and Obelix? xD
I'm addicted to games
Hey all! Just thought I'd pop in and say that I've been looking for an excuse to come to Europe again. The last time I went was in June 2000 when I met up with a bunch of Quake speed runners in Finland...

So, good luck on the organizing!
I didn't read through the thread but a marathon needs to happen in Sweden so I can beast Sm64 live. Shocked
A lot of the Swedes would love going to Germany, because we usually go there to smuggle buy alcohol at a Nth of the price it costs here..

And I've got a Sword of Sodan MD cart if anyone wants to start early on an awful games/kusoge run segment.
Infinite Combo
any news ppl?
I think people would actually post if there were any. Try to be patient folks.
Edit history:
roysen: 2012-01-11 03:36:21 am
roysen: 2012-01-11 03:32:30 am
roysen: 2012-01-11 03:32:22 am
roysen: 2012-01-11 03:31:33 am
roysen: 2012-01-11 03:31:27 am
dunno if this was mentioned before, but the snes and mega drive (genesis) can be modded to output most games at 60hz. i guess that should work for the nes as well. safest way would be to use ntsc equipment and games though, but i think that people seriously speedrunning games wouldn't be using games running at 50hz with slowdown anyways.

right?

but if we can get a schedule of who wants to play what done a few months before the thing gets off, it shouldn't be a problem getting the needed equipment/games in time.

regarding using a european ps3 on a crt: this works very well, actually. the ps3 outputs pal60 and games run with the correct speed. i haven't noticed any frame skips at all  either (i play ps3 on a crt). however the flickering, while being mostly bearable, is pretty bad with this set up.
When in doubt, use explosives.
Quote from roysen:
but if we can get a schedule of who wants to play what done a few months before the thing gets off, it shouldn't be a problem getting the needed equipment/games in time.

It is my understanding that we decide on a locale first, that deadline is January 31. After that, we can all move on to the next stage in the planning.
Totally rad
Plane tickets are incredibly cheap as long as you're flying within the EU. If the price of a plane ticket is a big financial burden, then paying for accommodation will be impossible for you. Just don't fly Lufthansa, British Airways or KLM/Air France and don't fly from major airports and it'll hardly cost a thing. Just as an example, I've bought numerous return tickets from Eindhoven to Warsaw for roughly 50~60 Euro.

@Edena1: I agree with your post. If we truly want to call it an SDA marathon then it shouldn't just be some tiny thing that's over within a day. Our American friends have set high standards in the previous marathons, so we should try to live up to expectations.
Infinite Combo
Quote from AdamAK:

@Edena1: I agree with your post. If we truly want to call it an SDA marathon then it shouldn't just be some tiny thing that's over within a day. Our American friends have set high standards in the previous marathons, so we should try to live up to expectations.

WE will do our best, who said anything about doing a super tiny one, like we want to do it as big as possible but like, it all depends on the ppl in germany I suppose since ppl want germany more than sweden ... I mean Sweden has gone pretty far with locale and stuff but we need the final statement from everyone, once we have a venue/locale we can START thinking about how big it should be , I believe in EU, but it depends alot on where we will be I guess, I kinda vote for sweden , sadly bcuz of financial issues, I'd love to go to germany tho, have  alot of friends there

but that being said I hope we get this over with soon so we can start planning this party! =D
Using RyanAir isn't going to kill you.

AeroFlot might.
Edit history:
Frezy_man: 2012-01-11 11:44:07 am
Frezy_man: 2012-01-11 11:40:58 am
Frezy_man: 2012-01-11 11:39:28 am
bläää
I made a reservation for the locales today (In case). I booked august 6th. to August 14th. One day for preperation, one for cleaning and six for the marathon. Would that be more optimal than my early suggestion?

I don´t remember the exact size of the area but I know how we would organize the event. One room is about 40-50 square meters and that is the place where we will be running the show ( I just have to check so that the ventilation is good because that is very important, specially in early august... I forgot about that ). And there is a main area. I belive it is at least 200 square meters. That will be a casual gaming area during the event. The third area is about 100 square meter and that is the place where we can sleep. We might have to fix more options for sleeping later. It is also an even bigger main area, probably 500 square meters that we might be able to use if we want to. But that is 10 000SEK/day (about 1350 USD) and I don´t think that area is necessary.
The area I reserved have a maximum level of hosting 300 people and I think that is enough.

Normal price for renting the area is 4000sek/day (600 USD) for associations. They rarely have people renting the place during the vacation weeks so I will probably be able to fix lower prices. Last time we got a weekend for 6000. My plan would be to organize this marathon trough our locale video game association called Ludendi (Which is Lathin and means "to play") or making a new organization. Having an association in sweden means that we can get much money from different institutions that helps gaming communities. This way we will probably get enough money for the rent.
We need receipts of some sort to get this thing to go around and it is plenty of possibilities to have that. Hopefully we can start building some equity for future marathons with the help of this event. The revenues should be invested in a found for speedruns and speeddemosarchive for use at future events.

Quote from MrLonghair:
A lot of the Swedes would love going to Germany, because we usually go there to smuggle buy alcohol at a Nth of the price it costs here..

The germans who go by car can easilly get the gas prices back if they bring beer Roll Eyes ( I never said that!)

Quote from KenDeep:
What I however can do is ask a couple of friends from the fighting game community if they know a place where we could hold the event - which I will defnately do. Do not expect the best, but hope for it.

Co-operate with other other gamingorgnanization might be a good idea for creating events. I think of companies organizing competitions in fighting and strategy games and shooters. They have a lot of good experience equipment and money.
When in doubt, use explosives.
This is probably the best thing I've seen all day. thumbsup
I do however have a few thoughts about these newly surfaced pieces of information.

Quote from Frezy_man:
I made a reservation for the locales today (In case).

Wow. Never let it be said that Frezy does not deliver.

Quote from Frezy_man:
I booked august 6th. to August 14th. One day for preperation, one for cleaning and six for the marathon. Would that be more optimal than my early suggestion?

Personally that's a-ok with me. I'll work out the vacation and off-time from work.

Quote from Frezy_man:
I don´t remember the exact size of the area but I know how we would organize the event. One room is about 40-50 square meters and that is the place where we will be running the show ( I just have to check so that the ventilation is good because that is very important, specially in early august... I forgot about that ). And there is a main area. I belive it is at least 200 square meters. That will be a casual gaming area during the event. The third area is about 100 square meter and that is the place where we can sleep. We might have to fix more options for sleeping later. It is also an even bigger main area, probably 500 square meters that we might be able to use if we want to. But that is 10 000SEK/day (about 1350 USD) and I don´t think that area is necessary.
The area I reserved have a maximum level of hosting 300 people and I think that is enough.

If you don't mind my asking, is there a name for this place? Mainly wondering if there is a way we can all see what the place looks like, such as an official site of the place with photos. I'm sure it wouldn't help when it comes down to the deadline and it's time to vote. The more you know about a place, the better you can actually place the vote. Does that make sense?

Quote from Frezy_man:
Normal price for renting the area is 4000sek/day (600 USD) for associations. They rarely have people renting the place during the vacation weeks so I will probably be able to fix lower prices. Last time we got a weekend for 6000. My plan would be to organize this marathon trough our locale video game association called Ludendi (Which is Lathin and means "to play") or making a new organization. Having an association in sweden means that we can get much money from different institutions that helps gaming communities. This way we will probably get enough money for the rent.

If all of this goes through and the price is lowered and get money from institutions and all the bells and whistles and we still are short on cash, I'm sure at least a few of us can chip in with what's left for the rent. A few people can make a huge difference if it comes down to splitting the difference between us all. And I for one am definitely no stranger to that very idea.

Quote from Frezy_man:
We need receipts of some sort to get this thing to go around and it is plenty of possibilities to have that.

Receipts from what? I'm not sure I follow on this particular part.

These are my two cents, for what it's worth. And it's better said than unsaid that I understand if you don't have all information at hand or are even unable to get a hold of it - it's just the way things are sometimes.
I'm totally buying you a beer [beverage of your choice within reasonable cost] for this post, man.
WOW.
Totally awesome!
Great news!

Quote:
If all of this goes through and the price is lowered and get money from institutions and all the bells and whistles and we still are short on cash, I'm sure at least a few of us can chip in with what's left for the rent. A few people can make a huge difference if it comes down to splitting the difference between us all. And I for one am definitely no stranger to that very idea.

Yes, we all have to contribute equally when it comes to the venue costs. Well, fair for the amount of time you stay there I guess. You should not have to pay for every other day that you may not be able to spend there.

Quote:
I booked august 6th. to August 14th. One day for preparation, one for cleaning and six for the marathon.

Hopefully one day will be enough for setting it all up and testing the equipment and such. I'm just a bit sceptical since I think there will be a lot to do that day.

Quote:
It is also an even bigger main area, probably 500 square meters that we might be able to use if we want to. But that is 10 000SEK/day (about 1350 USD) and I don´t think that area is necessary.

I think the suggested rooms would be sufficient. Pictures of the area would make it easier to judge thought. (Also pictures would be awesome and I agree that it could help in deciding the venue)

Exciting times people!
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Quote from Chokehold:
I'm totally buying you a beer [beverage of your choice within reasonable cost] for this post, man.

You can have one on me, too, Frezy, that is incredible work!
Infinite Combo
Frezy DA MAN! I love those neews!
Edit history:
Frezy_man: 2012-01-11 01:41:55 pm
bläää
This place is the culture house in Skövde (Kulturhuset) http://www.skovde.se/kulturhus (in swedish only)
could not find any good pictures on the areas on the web. I will ask the people that work in the building if they have better maps and picture, otherwise I can make it on my own. They used to have a lots of computer LANs in the building back in the days.

I found a bad map over the area to the left in this link: http://www.skovde.se/Sport--Fritid/Boka-lokal/Valhall-Freja-m-fl-i-Kulturhuset/
The VALHALL area is the costly area that we will probably not use. FREJA will be our main area and BALDER will be the marathon room (at least that is my plan right now).
We will also have another area called LOKE. It is not sure that this part will be linked togheter with the other area during the hole week, but it is easy to reach it if you go outdoor.
Infinite Combo
Frezy: Piano room for sleeping quarters? or will it be enough?