I survived MIKE-Fest 1
just reading this from AGDQ and I'm so into this
with Frezy organizing this I'm convinced this will happen
If there is anything I could do to help let me know
Edit history:
MrLonghair: 2012-01-09 07:37:15 am
MrLonghair: 2012-01-08 06:53:51 pm
Audio-guy. twitchtv:ohgoddamnit
Those possible months and the location sound fine to me. I offer my knowledge and experience in audio engineering and equipment so that the audio will be good and nobody will ever have to yell "SHUT UP" at people whispering in the back of the room because they are overpowering the all-hearing über-sensitive omni-directional microphone. KennyMan666 and I go back a few years so I'm not entirely new, I'll be watching this thread :]

(Mic for donation commentor at the computer, one or two mics for the sofa, possibly one mic to capture audio from the TV(s), VF1 effects unit to ensure peoples speakers don't break, equalizer to take care of possible buzz and whine on the line, all to be output into the recording computer's 3.5mm port etc)

(and I live in Västerås, will happily ride along with somebody passing by and co-pay the gas bill)
Yeah, good to know there are people wanting this as much as we do!;D We are gonna have our next meeting on Wednesday and look all things over here in Skövde! I love how the outcome of AGDQ has blown even my expectations through the roof! Awesome guys!

Quote from MrLonghair:
Those possible months and the location sound fine to me. I offer my knowledge and experience in audio engineering and equipment so that the audio will be good and nobody will ever have to yell "SHUT UP" at people whispering in the back of the room because they are overpowering the all-hearing über-sensitive omni-directional microphone. KennyMan666 and I go back a few years so I'm not entirely new, I'll be watching this thread :]

Man am I glad to hear this! Me and Crippe know cameras and such but there is always a problem to find great audio/lightning-guys! Cheesy
Precursor
I still want to hear from more of the European runners before we make the final decision on Skövde, but it sounds like it has everything we need.
Edit history:
Linkinito: 2012-01-09 06:44:53 am
This is my avatar
Well, Sweden is way too far away from me. I live in southern France, so Skövde is like impossible to reach, except if I get a plane from Marseille to Stockholm, then a train from Stockholm to Skövde.

Anyway I'll keep you informed, I'd really like to finally see an "Insomniac Game" (Spyro or Ratchet & Clank) in a SDA marathon. I'd like to run a Ratchet & Clank game, but well... Distance is the main concern.
Precursor
Yeah, this is what I feared. If it's even considered to be too far away from France... but, if possible, you want to go to Landvetter airport, not Arlanda. The distance Landvetter-Skövde is less than half the distance that is Arlanda-Skövde (147,1 km vs 332,4 km, at least those are the numbers if you go by car). Traveling from Landvetter to Skövde is also much cheaper, takes about two hours since you have to take the airport bus into Gothenburg first and train from there, but if booking a ticket for that well in advance (well, 2-3 months, thereabouts) that part of the trip doesn't cost more than about $30. If we have people driving we might possibly be able to do some pick-ups too.

So, anyone who checks plane tickets, make sure you primarily check for tickets to Gothenburg-Landvetter, not Stockholm-Arlanda.
Infinite Combo
Maybe it's time we started a thread on Who's in and who can do/bring what stuff? I dunno where on the forums to start this tho ?_?
Precursor
Oh, I'll take care of that. But I'm not doing that until we decide where we want to be so the people who want to come can know if they CAN come.
Infinite Combo
I thought that was done I mean, you guys keep saying germany is better and stuff but like sadly in Skövde we have a venue / place to be at that is good for it, I cannot see anything better than this so far, so if Skövde isn't confirmed then what?
Precursor
Like I said: I really want to hear from more of the European runners first. I don't want a lot of
Quote from Linkinito:
Well, Sweden is way too far away from me.

to happen.

And I don't consider any locale confirmed until it's booked.
Edit history:
IrregularJinny: 2012-01-09 09:57:14 am
IrregularJinny: 2012-01-09 09:52:23 am
Infinite Combo
if Sweden is the only ones to step it up, then this is what I think we should go with for the first marathon, I mean, as long as this is a success we can continue, I mean viewers won't be a problem... or at least I think it won't and like, no offence guys but like Frezy and the others are the only ones that has a place so far that is 90% sure , I do not know all the details of this, but I know that if we don't get our butts of our chairs and do something soon we can kiss the marathon good bye for now lol, or something I mean NOW is the time to act, if you others haven't done anything or been able to so far, then sweden is the place for now this is only my opinion on it and I cannot make it any better, I just want it to happen, and I might not be able to travel outside the nordic myself but like if you have an better idea of a venue place, tell us now, or just go with this? we have a deadline.. people. /rant end sry I needed to say something lol.

EDIT: maybe it isn't over cuz we miss this but like, if planning and action was made earlier we wouln't have the venue problem as we have it now, this is badly very short notice for this. considering the time left we should've looked up sponsorship and a foundation and all that other stuff and helped ppl check flights and check what ppl are coming and what everyone can contribute with.

I never meant to offend anyone, but before anyone starts more complaints about that sweden is a bad place, then try to find a good place and do everything you can from your end if you are not from sweden, I don't care where it is as long as its not too far from sweden I just want this marathon to happen alot.
Precursor
Yes, we have a deadline. That deadline is January 31st.

I hope that those of you who were looking for places (how'd that contact with that university go, Tiberius?) have ceased looking. The primary issue with Sweden is that it's hardly central. In terms of that, Germany would be the optimal location, yes, and that's why we had high hopes when it looked like we could get a locale in Germany. But that fell through due to the internet, and here we are.

It's easy to say "if things were planned earlier". We tried. I tried. But I don't feel comfortable planning anything further until we have a locale. I remember the Hikari-con we had the grandest plans for, which never happened because we believed we would get a locale we never had confirmed. I'm not letting something like that happen again.

And so, the second crux. Even if we have a locale, it needs to be one to which enough people are able to reach for us to make something meaningful out of this. Obviously, it's not going to be as big as AGDQ, but we want to fill at least 3-4 days, and very hopefully more, for there to be a point in doing this.

So that's the thing. All I want is more European (and possibly non-European) runners to speak up about if they would consider Sweden a viable location to travel to to participate.
Edit history:
IrregularJinny: 2012-01-09 10:38:20 am
IrregularJinny: 2012-01-09 10:38:15 am
IrregularJinny: 2012-01-09 10:38:12 am
IrregularJinny: 2012-01-09 10:37:41 am
Infinite Combo
Have you even asked them directly? and not waiting on the forums for answer I mean asking on Facebook/Twitch/SDA like PM them the ppl you know that want to be a part of this, since I don't have a list of all the ppl who wants art of this no matter the issues depending of places/area like I dunno who to ask. which is Why I wanted to to a list for the EU ppl and maybe non EU folk so we know exaclty who to ask and get asnwers out quickly.. we need to do stuff now, cuz even if I said that things shoudl've done so far but I mean like, let's do what we can now, and like get a thread and ask ppl who wants in, no matter what, and we'll deal with area/country trouble later, I think that we need all the people that can help us help us, we need a list or a thread for that discussion so we can get somewhere, and start PM ppl, and trying to get some answer not "harassing" but like, we don't have all the time in the world, and I don't wanna be a time pessimist but like, I don't want this to shatter.

EDIT: I've never done this before but I've hosted events before and if everybody who wants in does something we can make the dream come true, butif we are just waiting for answers.. and no responds on the forums.. then I dunno

Also, I trust in the Frezy, that believes in us!
DK + Mario Kart 8 = <3
okay i think august is fine for me too

sweden is also far away from me i come from germany i don´t know how the best way is to travel, i think i must ask tigger for this i could travel with him and other germans

my only problem is the money i have no idea if i have enough money for that (train and airplane) maybe i can do runs for a small donation Tongue

but i would really come to this because i can run DKCR!!! this game was at no marathon so far
Precursor
The thread for getting people? Yeah, that's this thread. The first pages of it. It was started as a thread for checking if there was enough interested people to pull it off. There was. An un-updated list of those people are in the first post. So we need a locale that the majority of those people can actually make it to.

And, look, a post while I was typing. Another "Sweden is far away". From someone who lives in Germany, which except for the other Scandinavian countries is the closest to Sweden.

Okay, so the "Sweden is far away" people may be in a minority and the people who have no issues to get the means of reaching out current proposed locale may just not have spoken up yet. Still, this, plus a thing I heard from XSlicer in IRC, confirms to me that my worry of Sweden being a less than optimal place for this wasn't entirely detached from reality.
Infinite Combo
Kennyman: be the bigger man then, get us a good place in germany instead if all you can do is tell me this.

Ecko: great interest <3 I agree on DKCR, like if it comes down to sweden I mean like there are solutions for cheaper tickets I think so we'll look into that , but as it is now, there is no place than sweden. >_>

Also, getting Frezy back, wasn't that a dream too? and he is back and all he e did was get us someplace to start with.. and no one cares?  "it is not a optimal place" well then einsteins find a better place then , find a venue in a coutnry that works is optimal isn't too expensive that works and find out everything you have til 31st!
if you do manage I'll do my best to get there, but if nothing happens in this short period of time I don't see how we can get a marathon going unless it's sweden >_>
Precursor
Jin, just shut up for a second. Of course I care that we seem to have a place in Skövde, because that's still infinitely better than not having anything at all. But I'm not going to just cheer and say "That's where we'll do this, case closed" before I've heard from more people about it, even if Skövde is about one step below Gothenburg in being the best place for me personally.

Yes, Germany would essentially be optimal. I hope the Germans who were on the case are still on the case. But if not even they could find a working locale, how do you expect me to do it?

There's still seven months left, so while I've been a little stressed about this locale thing (and set a January 31st deadline for it), we're not quite in such a hurry that you seem to think we are.
Edit history:
IrregularJinny: 2012-01-09 11:28:27 am
IrregularJinny: 2012-01-09 11:27:38 am
Infinite Combo
well as far as I knew the deadline was 31st and that these things take alot of time, which is all I was saying, if I knew it took less than  est 5-6 months to prepare this event then fine , but as I didn't know I thought the deadline was there for a reason, all I want  is a new thread a.. cleaner thread for the people who wants this to happen that is all.

Deadline as in your "Preliminary Deadline" there is no such thing.
thats what I believe, don't call it  a deadline if its too soon, and you cannot keep up.

end of story If said what I wanted to say at least, no offence to you non-swedish ppl, I just don't wanna see this dream fall to the ground. Good Luck you Germans btw.
When in doubt, use explosives.
Wait, I must have missed something completely.
Quote from Svenne:
It is obvious that Sweden is a no-go...

How is that obvious?
Infinite Combo
Quote from Chokehold:
Quote from Svenne:

How is that obvious?

Ask Kennyman.

and also, another opinion, this is our first marathon who says we won't need 7 months? even tho I heard that AGDQ2012 had 5 months or so for planning, I mean this is our first marathon, and the only one with enough experince on this is Frezy, and like US has Uyama and EVERYBODY since they have a few years on their backs. Okay end of my rant.
Quote from Chokehold:
Quote from Svenne:

How is that obvious?

Quote from KennyMan666:
There's still seven months left, so while I've been a little stressed about this locale thing (and set a January 31st deadline for it), we're not quite in such a hurry that you seem to think we are.

Well, he is suddenly willing to change his own deadlines when things are not going as planned according to him.

Edit: If people don't have a venue until Jan 31. I really think that Frezy and me will ignore this BS. I mean, the only reason I talked with him about this was because I noticed that deadline and that I could with my contacts with the City give us a venue and got him onboard on this. I really feel angry if nothing that I did to get this would even matter, because Kennyman said so. I would if I were from any part of Europe go to Sweden just to meet him (frezy_man that is) and to have a marathon for a great cause, and yeah, show our skills.

(To much text between me and jin, I will stop until further notice)
Speedrunner
I know we are all eager to get this event happend and start planning. Maybe we should wait till AGDQ is over and get a different opinion from the guys who are there.

Out of curiosity, who of the runners on AGDQ have flew over to the states to make a run? Or is everyone living there?
Anyhow... UK, GER, FIN, FRA, SWE etc. all of them works. As long we have a good locale, great internet and a descent bunch of runners which can cover for 3-4 days.

And i dont care really which is better then the other out there. Im... here... too... have... FUN! Smiley

And there is really no reason to get all worked up yet. We have until August, and I KNOW we are gonna make this happen. Success or not, its gonna get so much fun!
When in doubt, use explosives.
Quote from dxtr:
I know we are all eager to get this event happend and start planning. Maybe we should wait till AGDQ is over and get a different opinion from the guys who are there.

Out of curiosity, who of the runners on AGDQ have flew over to the states to make a run? Or is everyone living there?
Anyhow... UK, GER, FIN, FRA, SWE etc. all of them works. As long we have a good locale, great internet and a descent bunch of runners which can cover for 3-4 days.

And i dont care really which is better then the other out there. Im... here... too... have... FUN! Smiley

And there is really no reason to get all worked up yet. We have until August, and I KNOW we are gonna make this happen. Success or not, its gonna get so much fun!

I was thinking the same thing, we're all here to do a good thing for a good cause, whichever it is later chosen to be.
Personally, I got confused when I read about Frezy having a locale in Skövde, then a few people were like "sign me up for that!" and all of a sudden it's obvious it's a no go?
We even got people to do audio engineering and do banners and other graphical things.

You can sign me up for anywhere within Europe as long as we have a locale, even if Skövde is ideal for us Swedes.
I have yet to see any constructive criticism to the Skövde locale being out of the question. All we've seen is "no, too far!" and nothing else.

I, too, agree with dxtr about holding our collective horses until the AGDQ is over. We can get more input from the people there in a day or two.
Precursor
What? You guys must be misunderstanding me on purpose now. I've not said that we can't do it in Sweden. I'd be delighted if we could do it in Sweden. But I don't want a final decision to be made about that when most of the people in support of Skövde are Swedes themselves, and I've heard issues about it from three non-Swedes. The deadline is January 31st for the locale, and I never said I'd move that - and there's three weeks left before even that date. But we don't need to start planning anything else before that, before we have collectively come to a final decision of a locale that works for the majority of people that are interested in attending and running games. It's a European event we're planning here, not a Swedish event. I'm trying to be reasonable here, people - I want to get more input from non-Swedes to take into account.