page  <- 12345678910111213141516171819 -> <- 1 .. 5 .. 19 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Precursor
Yeah, what he said. Germans, gather round!
I survived MIKE-Fest 1
In Germany you have good train access to nearly every city and for cars its basically the same.
As said Karlsruhe is a possibility (I live there) BUT I didn't look for places jet. I will look around a little but don't expect to much.

btw: Would Karlsruhe even qualify for a marathon town??
Make it so.
If it has a big enough place with good internet connection and it's easy to get to then it qualifies! That's pretty much all we need I reckon.
Edit history:
Blumenriecher: 2011-10-22 12:10:57 pm
E=mc²
Well I am certainly no expert on airports, but the nearest international airport would be Frankfurt I guess, and that is still over 100km away, isn´t it?  How important do you guys think, is airport proximity?
from red to blue
very :L

i dunno bout other people, but i'm scared shitless by public transport in other countries
WOW.
Quote from Blumenriecher:
Well I am certainly no expert on airports, but the nearest international airport would be Frankfurt I guess, and that is still over 100km away, isn´t it?  How important do you guys think, is airport proximity?

I think it's quite important as we do/might have a number of people coming from other countries. We could get some epic carpooling going on though.
Running: RnF,Kof98, ALIEN HOMINID???
I live in germany, but I can't offer my house for the marathon. :/ There shouldn't be much of an airport problem though, especially if there are many people from Nordrhein-Westfalen here. Almost any city has an airport like 45 minutes away. If it fits to my timeline, I COULD possibly offer a place for the marathon, but that could be in Berlin, which is pretty much on the other half of Germany.

<- Living in NRW close to Netherlands, and quite probably in mid-late 2012 in Berlin.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
As a Brit I would definitely be up for a Germany marathon, so please add my name to the "interested SDAers" post.  I'm afraid I can't offer anything in the way of planning help at this time, sorry!
DK + Mario Kart 8 = <3
so what is the exactly town karlsruhe, berlin or frankfurt?

i don´t know which town i look for, but i can look for all towns
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Regarding airport access, it's not super important that the location is close to an airport because German trains go everywhere, but on the other hand, you don't want the location too far away from an airport because German trains can be quite expensive. I know from experience. Sad
E=mc²
German trains can also be quite late(we are talking 1h+ here in some cases), I know from experience, but if Tigger is willing to handle most of the organisation then it should be Karlsruhe I think, even though any town further to the north-west would imcrease my likelihood to come.
Let the music play!
Anything that minimises travel time is a good thing. I'd rather not be stuck on a train for ages after being stuck on an airplane. The less money that goes on travel cost = more that can be put towards the charity.
snakkies. giev.
Yeah, trains can be expensive. You don't want people to spend 30-50€ (twice) on the train on top of other travel expenses, so I suggest an airport city like Frankfurt. I myself am from Germany (Nordrhein Westfalen) and anywhere within Germany would be fine for me.
I'm not entirely sure whether I'll be there or not yet but I sure am interested.
Precursor
Frankfurt sounds like a thing, if we have people in/close enough to Frankfurt to search for a place to be at. So, Frankfurters? No, wait, that's a sausage.
DK + Mario Kart 8 = <3
Quote from KennyMan666:
Frankfurt sounds like a thing, if we have people in/close enough to Frankfurt to search for a place to be at. So, Frankfurters? No, wait, that's a sausage.

lol i am not close to frankfurt but i think i can look this weekend for a place hopefully
Precursor
Oh, there's no rush JUST yet. Still nothing decided, but Frankfurt sounds like a good idea what with it having an airport and all.

Any other suggestions from anyone?
Edit history:
Elren: 2011-10-31 12:49:52 pm
Elren: 2011-10-31 12:49:28 pm
Elren: 2011-10-31 12:49:26 pm
Does it really matter if its in an airport city? I mean i guess that most germans like me are coming by car and could pick up the others at the nearrest airport.
Don't really see a problem there. That would actually give more freedom to the organizer. :p
Precursor
Having it in a city with an airport is definitely preferable, but not mandatory. So if we CAN find a location in Frankfurt or whatever other cities with airports Germany has, that's a good thing.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Alternatively I just ran a random search for a car hire for 6 days in Frankfurt and got £203 which isn't bad if there are other foreigners coming in who don't mind sharing the cost of a car hire.  I'm not saying it will be necessary if there are enough people driving their own cars for travel, but it is another alternative solution if we need it.  I'm almost tempted to find out how much it will cost to drive to Germany from the UK and have a road trip out of it!
WOW.
Quote from RoboSparkle:
Alternatively I just ran a random search for a car hire for 6 days in Frankfurt and got £203 which isn't bad if there are other foreigners coming in who don't mind sharing the cost of a car hire.  I'm not saying it will be necessary if there are enough people driving their own cars for travel, but it is another alternative solution if we need it.  I'm almost tempted to find out how much it will cost to drive to Germany from the UK and have a road trip out of it!

Where are you in the UK?
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Guildford, you?
WOW.
Quote from RoboSparkle:
Guildford, you?

Ah, too down south, you could have given me a lift ^^.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Quote from Chrno:
Quote from RoboSparkle:
Guildford, you?

Ah, too down south, you could have given me a lift ^^.

Never mind, I'm sure it'll all work out.  I'll probably end up heading to Gatwick/Heathrow instead anyway, was just a passing thought.
Iha paska
Trains aren't bad. I have gone twice to Bingen am Rhein by train and it wasn't that expensive, plus took like 1-1½ hrs in total (Considering that I switched the train at one point).
From what I have understood, they extend trough the whole area basically and they leave at the Frankfurt main airport (Frankfurt Hahn is not the same thing in case a flight company such as Ryanair offers it, keep in mind).
Usually germans don't really speak english that well but The ticket office for the trains at the airport actually understood it well and me plus my friend got our train tickets all the way we needed them.
I do suggest grabbing a local and reserving time for the train ticket reservation if you do it alone. In my case I had to do it 4am in the morning as I had to be in finland + back in the army at end of the same day.
This is because the  ticket machines are a joke, they ask pretty much everything except your blood type and can get you really confused (Luckily after ~15 minutes of trial&error '&curses' in an empty station, some local came by for the same train and helped me out with it).

So yeah, any place near a train station should do Smiley
I might be interested in visiting, possibly even run GTA3 if I get good enough at it by then.
Let the music play!
For reference, I'm just outside Manchester, so I'll be flying from there.