List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Frezy_man: 2012-01-09 01:02:53 pm
Frezy_man: 2012-01-09 12:33:49 pm
bläää
Quote from dxtr:
I know we are all eager to get this event happend and start planning. Maybe we should wait till AGDQ is over and get a different opinion from the guys who are there.

Yes, things goes fast. I think we should wait a week or two before this is definately decided. Until that point all other choices can be brought up. This should be a democratic deciscion as much as it can possibly be, including as many members of this site as possible.
all opinions need to have a chance to say their thoughts. Especially now during the AGDQ, eyes are watching other things then the european marathon thread.

No matter what though, I will still organize a couple of events this year, and I will probably talk with the care taker of the locale on Wednesday because I have a couple of other errands to take care of anyways. I will reserve the place for us (that´s for free). But I don´t know what date would be optimal. What about August 13th. (Monday) Until 20th. (Monday). One day for prepearing and one day for cleaning. And 6 days for marathon. then we can play From 12 PM Tuesday until 12 PM Sunday.
I think we will start planning this thing a little bit anyways, in case it will be done.
Precursor
I was actually more thinking of the second week of August - that is, the one starting on the 6th.
Edit history:
KenDeep: 2012-01-09 02:42:46 pm
Running: RnF,Kof98, ALIEN HOMINID???
German here. Yahoo!
I would infinitely prefer germany over sweden, but that is only so because I might not be able to get anywhere via plane right now. I have to be very accessable in the coming months(rest of the year... and the year has just begun).
Some may remember me saying that a couple of guys and I planned and made an event in Offenbach, and the place seemed very VERY bad concerning the internet connection. We only had one stream on and sometimes, it was actually good, but there were also a lot of times where 59 frames per second were skipped. And that may even underestimate it.
The good news is: That is by far not everywhere the case. In fact, there may be lots of good places where we could possibly hold the event, primarily universities, but also rooms that we could rent. The internet connection could easily be enough to stream 3 videos at once.
I however cannot reach any of those universities since I am no member of any of them, yet. I asked my brother, who is going to one, if we might hold the event there, but it was declined because they can't assure what kind of content we stream.
What I however can do is ask a couple of friends from the fighting game community if they know a place where we could hold the event - which I will defnately do. Do not expect the best, but hope for it.

By the way. I'm turkish. I live in germany, but my parents come from turkey. Evil
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Okay, so I should definitely look into the forum the odd time to see threads like this one xD
If there happen to be other members in or around the Munich area, I'ld be willing to try and organise a location—but that only makes sense if there are people out there that would take over the technical issues: mikes, cameras, whatever else we might need. There are something like 20 days left to find a place; can be managed, can be tense, but I'ld be willing to hear something about tech people before talks with possible venues get too definite.

I don't want to suggest that the Swedes would not be able to host a great marathon, but life is always better, if you have a choice of at least two things Wink
Make it so.
Just for any interested people saying that Sweden might be too difficult to get to, I checked around a few sites etc and you can get a RETURN plane ticket from London for as little as £100, so it's not as bad as people might think it is Smiley
Infinite Combo
finally some intel on the sitation in germany!
Totally rad
I'd love to participate in the marathon. Any country within the EU would be great as far as I'm concerned. I could look around in my local area (Maastricht, Netherlands) to see whether that would be a possible hosting location as well.
Well Jinny, it's not like I was never talking in this thread. I did tell Kenny some stuff about here.
Infinite Combo
I'm sorryf or my rant everyone yesterday, It just didn't look like something was happening,
and KenDeep, I never meant that you never said anything,  its just no big news yet, and like yeah I dunno, I was on the forums at a bad time with a huge headache, yet no excuse for my behaviour yesterday, I never meant any harm to anyone, all I wanted is to see some progress. I'm Sorry everyone.

It is as dxtr said, this is  going to be fun, and like we are gonna work together for  a great cause ppl!
Edit history:
ozzy88: 2012-01-10 05:53:07 am
I think we should stick with the deadline of 31:th January. But seriously, "Sweden is too far away" is kind of a bad argument when we don't have anything else. So if nothing happens in about 20 days then Sweden it is, right?

At WORST we have at least 8-10 swedish runners who could run games for one day. Even that small of an event would be fun in my opinion.

So, if we get another place in another country I think I'll still be able to go. From Germany to Sweden is not a long distance when you think about how long it is for us to travel to the U.S. and some ppl have done that for AGDQ.

So we'll start by making a list of the people that may be able to make it to the locale that has been chosen January 31:th? To see if it's even possible to get this off the ground this year?

I hope this will happen, the swedes seems on board if Sweden will be the locale and so is the people who have been in this thread and showed their interest from the start. So everyone else do your best to find a more suitable location and report to us ASAP!

Edit:

Maybe an irc channel would be nice to talk in real-time later on?
Make it so.
I agree with everything ozzy88 has said there.

Although I approve of Sweden as a location, I'll ramp up my efforts with the uni here in the UK in the hope that we at least have a potential other location so that general voting etc can be made.
Precursor
My plan is to start making a more detailed... well, plan, when we have a 100% confirmation of where we're going to be, yes. And yeah, the deadline is the 31st. That never changed.
Hockey enthusiast
Just a thought. A tiny marathon with a few swedes (or any nationality for that matter) playing a few games for a day sounds like a bad idea.  Why you ask?

* This is SDA and that equals high standards. You run a risk for players taking unnecessary risks and attempt games they are not totally confident in when you are shorthanded and want to fill up the schedule with games. Thereby lowering quality.
* SDA-marathons are a team effort where everyone involved are having fun, no matter how long, short, easy, hard game you play. It's a community thing and people love that! It's no place for individualism.
* Last AGDQ had something for everyone. A tiny marathon won't have that.

But then again. I've never been to any of the prior marathon. I've only attended from the comfort of my own home. But that's just how I feel about it. And who am I? Nobody, but the last few pages lack the SDA-spirit of friendliness, competition spirit and sheer love for games. What I read between the lines is: "I want the marathon close to me so that I can attend and show off my skills in this or that game!".

Finally: I will attend the next marathon, no matter where in the world it my be. I may or may not play "my" game for about 16 minutes, then I will hang out with all the awesome people who all share my passions for video games for about a week and I'm gonna enjoy every minute of it.

You have to keep in mind though that unlike Mike for example, this is our first time planning an event as big as this. The organizers of the american marathons all have experience and most of the runners actually know each other very well thanks to those marathons, and so they know what kind of preferences they have. We don't have that advantage, we have to start from zero. Especially since they, as far as I know - and it seemed like it was the case -, reuse locations they seem to take a liking on. For some reason I think finding a location is one of the more difficult tasks in planning this event than anything else besides being able to run your own game.

I said it will be difficult for me to go far away from germany. I never said going outside germany is a problem. The problem is going to sweden. If anything, I would go by plane, and that would be A) too expensive and B) not flexible enough. I'm in the midst of applying for an university, so I can't just go away. Somewhere else though, like the netherlands, france or austria would be very possible. But then again, I am just one guy. We have to see what the general opinion is, concerning this matter. And for that I would say, stop saying how the past pages went, start giving your own opinion where you want the event to take place and if there are any locations you know of where we could host that event. Or else we will just fill this thread and make it a chaotic one, plus we won't be able to have any other choices until the 31st January.

So much from me.
Precursor
I have some semi-related experience from having taken part of planning cons, but I've never been the main organizer of one. But that's from where I draw my experience, and from where I know to not do anything important before a locale has been confirmed. Finding a suitable location that doesn't cost $texas to use for a week is definitely the toughest part.

(find more German runners who want to attend and road trip to Sweden! :P)
Infinite Combo
Kennyman: you want a confirm for the locale that we can use it?
then like ppl need to get together and start thinking soon I mean like, I think frezy won't "rent" it til we are sure. so like I realy hope ppl get decided soon, I mean, even if its the locale left, like we still have more owrk to do , and I just said we don't have the experience as the US SDA guys has with this, therefor the more time to plan and like, even if we do get the other stuff, its alot more work to it keep in mind.

and also, you've repeated that very reason more than once we get it.
Edit history:
Gonzalo: 2012-01-10 09:58:59 am
The maraton should be in Finland Cheesy
from red to blue
Quote from Edenal:
stuff

Edenal, i totally agree because only amuricans can speedrun!!
Edit history:
IrregularJinny: 2012-01-10 10:09:34 am
IrregularJinny: 2012-01-10 10:06:30 am
Infinite Combo
like wanting a big marathon for greater quality? this isn't US, we don't have that big of a community in europe, its our first meetup thing EVER, do take in mind that EU doesn't have close enough to as many Runners as US have, and nobody hinted or said that it was going to be a swedish only marathon if that was the case we would've started a new thread if I get your point right ...

like instead of only complaining on sweden , do something gather the germans (I repeat it again cuz all I hear is complaints) then and figure something out, and don't repeat wahat I said earlier about the thread I suggested a NEW thread for this, cuz this thread is mostly discussion at the point not a real thread where we have ppl and the confirmed ppl for this, like a preliminary thread for everything cuz this thread is not good for that now, or well needs cleaning up.
Precursor
Definitely think we should have a bunch of runs on PAL-only games.
Infinite Combo
European Games Done Quick? Grin
More like 50 Hz Done Quick Cheesy
Speedrunner
And I challenge anyone to take their "König Der Löwen"-cartridge and break it in half. Cause that game sucks. (Lion King)
Speedrunner
Quote from Svenne:
Quote from dxtr:
And I challenge anyone to take their "König Der Löwen"-cartridge and break it in half. Cause that game sucks. (Lion King)

NES or SNES

Lion King on the NES, was only released in PAL-Version. (I think)
Precursor
Mr. Gimmick is a game I want to own but the cartridge costs stupidly many moneys now.

Well, at least I'm the undisputed champion (okay, okay, I'm the only person who cares about running it) of Sunsoft's best NES game, Ufouria! I'm gonna do a run of Little Samson for the site but that game has so many places to fuck up even in an Easy with warps run that I'm wary about running it live. And I believe that's one of those games where they actually did a good PAL port, it runs at the same speed as the NTSC version.