page  <- 12345678910111213141516171819 <- 1 ... 19
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
from red to blue
I disagree with any sort of running on a clearly inferior system whilst a perfectly superior system is lying around.
Quote from KennyMan666:
I'm all for inviting famous-on-the-internet people to the marathon (like I said, was planning on contacting notch myself), even better if they're actually famous for being good at games so they can participate in the marathon proper with actual speedruns, but I don't think it's time to contact those people just yet.

If we're talking about TLO, then we should contact him ASAP. He's in Korea right now, so for him to come over back to Europe for a marathon would be a significant investment that he would need to plan for sooner rather than later. Plus, we need to find out if he's coming at all, because if you want him to do a Starcraft segment, we need to find out what he's willing to do and for how long. It might end up being a significant part of the marathon.
Edit history:
Mercury.Com: 2012-01-16 02:11:06 pm
Sea of Green
It's kind of hard to ask someone to come to an event when there is no set location or set dates, nor a charity to mention...
Exoray
Wow really? Has everyone completely lost sight of what an SDA marathon really is, or did people not watch any of our previous ones?
TLO? notch?
This is first and foremost a community marathon with SDA community members, not a popularity-I-Can-Internet-Fame-contest. I have no idea how any of you thought bringing in non-speedrunners and considering them take up large chunks of the marathon would do any good?
The direction this whole thing is taking is disappointing Sad
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2012-01-16 02:47:22 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Yeah, I locked this thread. It had to be done because it was just getting worse. There is a lot that needs to be addressed so I'll get it out of the way now.

First thing is first, you guys aren't getting anywhere. You guys have 20 pages of "planning" that doesn't involve definite dates, location, or definite anything really. If you want this event to happen, you need someone who is actually doing something rather than posting about what needs to be done. Saying it isn't going to get anywhere. The reason why previous marathons happened is because people like me, rom, and Essentia worked hard and got things done.

Though be be perfectly 100% honest, I think the first SDA Europe gathering should just be a meetup and not a marathon. There are two reasons for this.

1. The first SDA meetup was not a marathon. It was just 10 or so of us who met up at magfest and had a jolly old time playing games and making audio commentaries.

2. Casual meetups are way easier to organize than charity fundraisers, and you'll have a better idea of how you want to go about doing a marathon once everyone actually meets up.

Now if you guys are still interested in doing a marathon, then let me list out some things. In fact, you'll need at lot of this for a casual meetup too.

Things you do need:

-A Location: Honestly, I would aim for something small that could fit 20-30 people (and has nearby showers, complainers <_<) and has good internet.

-Definitive dates: You need dates so people can actually plan and see if they can come to the marathon.

-A leader: Frezy_Man suggested having 10-20 organizers. I can very easily tell you that this is a *terrible* idea. You will have so many communication problems with the left hand being unable to talk to the right hand. While I do consult a lot of people, one of the reasons why I am the main organizer is to make sure everything is focused. One of the biggest problems in this thread is that no one has really taken the torch.

Things you don't need:

-A gaming celebrity or personality: moooh summed this up perfectly, SDA marathons are about community, not a gaming celebrity. Even if we did get more viewers for Starcraft 2, they'd instantly drop the moment TLO stopped playing.

-Gauging interest: It's there, trust me on this one. I don't know exactly how many people will be able to attend, but they'll be able to know when they know the costs.

-The us vs. them attitude: I don't know where this came from, but it needs to be dropped. AGDQ is not an "American marathon", it is a marathon that happens to take place in America, but the people attending are international. I don't know why some people have a need to compete against previous SDA marathons when I'm perfectly willing to help.

-Kennyman666: I have to call you out. Your indecisiveness and deadline posting has not been helping at all. Instead of bringing focus on what needs to be done you keep on splitting focus among things. Honestly, the best thing you can do at this point is stay silent.

-Svenne: Stop quoting others and name-dropping and post when you have an actual location, because so far the only person who has found a location is Frezy_man, despite the 20 contacts you claim to have in Skovde.

I really don't want to see any posts about this for at least a week. I'll try to talk to Frezy_Man over skype because he sounds sincerely interested about organizing it. If you post in less than a week, then it better be about a definite location.

P.S. The deadline for shutting the fuck up is RIGHT NOW.