List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
IsraeliRD: 2012-04-09 07:45:45 am
Dragon Power Supreme
Quote from DJS:
Quote from IsraeliRD:
You shouldn't worry about load times on PS2. On PC we cut every load screen out from timing (that includes island transitions) because it would differ between systems.
For PS2, we'll start timing the moment you have character control and stop when the you press 'yes' to save.

I did talk to Mike and if island transition loading times on PS2 are proven to be variable (let's say you do segment X and repeat it 5 times and in each of the 5 times that transition's length is different) then I'll cut it from timing. That said if the differences are small enough then it's not enough to warrant to be cut out.

is this the same for vice city and san andreas, that they are manually timed? it makes sense for gta3 as it dosent have an in-game timer, but vc & sa does have a timer, so i hope that it is still being used.

If you're talking about the PC version, then GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas are manually timed. This is because the in-game timer also counts loading screens. I don't know about PS2.
GTA 4 was manually timed as well because its ingame timer also counted loading screens.
torch slug since 2006
alright, should make sense. im trying to do a any% speedrun of sa on ps2, and im at 0:21 after the first seg. 1 minute slower than the current pc run by cannibalk9.

back to gta3: yep, paparazzi purge is a problem on xbox
Iha paska
oh yeah, Just remembered that you need better aiming when doing the mission where you shoot the three triad dudes.
If you plan to shoot the fish factory dude from a distance, you need to aim manually as it's a very precise spot.
I guess the PS2 versions used throwable nades/molotovs to get rid of him.
Edit history:
DJS: 2012-04-10 02:48:50 pm
torch slug since 2006
alright, i got my ps2 disc today and i played through it, and i approve. i kinda like it.
things i noticed are that it is very laggy in portland (after i left portland it felt better, i guess i might've gotten used to it so i didnt notice)...
auto-aim sucks on "the pick-up", you can barely see what you are doing, but i invented a strat for that aswell...
oasiz: triads and tribulations? if so, i went to that little hill outside it and the auto-aim could be used, so no problem.

about me speedrunning this: maybe, i dont know. i have to play it alot more. also if i speedrun it, i think i have decided it to be an rta with "consistent-always-works"-strats, because i like them. so i wouldnt use the same strats l2ebel uses in s.a.m., or any of the later missions really. only place i would use a dodo is in grand theft aero, and end of s.a.m.... .. also, i wouldnt bother getting perfect rng on "evidence dash" etc, i would just take whatever. i.e. i wouldnt be going for a wr.

but we'll see. i'm having alot of fun with this game =) i'll try to stream some more
Edit history:
oasiz: 2012-04-10 03:11:40 pm
Iha paska
I got a 1:35 single segment as my best time at the moment and a few months back I played the game a lot, so just ask if there is anything you are wondering about and I *might* have an answer :p
I guess it would be around 1:40-1:45 with the PS2 as a rough approximate.

We could also do races at some point if you want to, although the PC version is a bit too superior when it comes to loadtimes and aiming Sad
And yes, you can use the hill but it is a few seconds slower than to use the AK47 from the roof of the car (like l2ebel did)

If you plan on using the same strats for portland as l2ebel, try not to burn yourself out with the police car, It can be really really draining Sad
And yes, I agree with the evidence dash, It's really hard to get a good time with it, same goes for the securicar mission and the three vans. (Those two are the missions that affect the portland time the most)
Oh and try comparing the ingame clock as it seems to sync up pretty well with the PC version, that way you can somewhat compare mission times a bit better.

Awesome to see new GTA3 runners and good luck!
torch slug since 2006
im not sure if i will need in-game times, i think wsplits splits should do the work.
missions i see myself having to work alot with atm is just arms shortage and the exchange. arms shortage some idiot just comes shotgunning me, and on the exchange, the helicopter explosions just randomly kills me, its weird, i should be able to learn it though Wink

is your 1:35 able to watch somewhere? sounds like a good watch for strategies etc.

also, i think my first speedrun will be just single-segment with safe-strats and saves, just to see what kind of time i get. i tend to save alot because i always think "im gonna fail the next mission" Tongue
I dunno if this thread would help: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/gta3_ps2.html - probably not since it uses old strats and the videos are dead because yahoo videos are all dead (Crispy is me btw).

I think a single segment run would be cool to watch also. I've been wanting to do a casual single segment run eventually as well (with no L2/R2 while driving, just for fun), but not if it takes too much time. "Under Surveillance" is kind of annoying if your aiming isn't fast enough on the guys shooting from the balconies. If you take too long, their guns disappear before you jump down to pick them up and you won't have enough ammo to kill the boat from the docks on Paparazzi purge.

For the pick-up, I just get out of the car right at the briefcase then get back in the car and run them over. I guess that's slower though?

I tried flying the dodo like in the last few missions of l2ebel's run, but had no luck, how about you? Flying to the construction site was ok though.
torch slug since 2006
for the under surveillance, i tend to shoot 3 guys, pick up their weapons, then shoot the rest. its slow, but its safe, and as i said, i like "always-consistent" strategies.

my dodo skills are like "beginner". i know how to fly it, and i can fly. but i cannot do any precise flying. only place i will use it in my run is in grand theft aero, and s.a.m. both for flying from the airport to the construction site.
Iha paska
DJS: http://www.twitch.tv/oasiz____/b/302514269  There, that is about a minute slower due to some mistakes (I think I died during one mission).
I could probably get it down to 1:30 with less major mistakes, doing the early S.A.M. trick would save a lot of time.
If you want, I can take you trough the game at some point or just watch your stream and point out things as you go.
Edit history:
DJS: 2012-04-11 04:49:20 am
torch slug since 2006
haha, pc version is so much more smoother, its unbelievable.
thanks for the offer, but im not sure if it is necessary ;(

i wrote down some of my mission strats, http://pastebin.com/Zf1g5DcS , feel free to comment on them. remember, i prefer being consistent at a decent time. i like being able to beat games whenever i want in one shot Wink im not really going for a wr as i said earlier... not yet atleast

edit: oh yeah, after "mike lips last lunch" i drive up to the train tracks and jump down from there to the ak, i dont take my car with me though, so im not sure if its worth
Cool, I'll watch your video some time oasiz (can't watch videos on this connection).

Good luck with your run DJS. Smiley I agree, safe and consistent strats leads to less pulled-out hair.
My controller is yours.
Not to bump or anything, but I found a YouTube clip where Claude can enter Staunton Island early in the game by glitching at the top of an underground tunnel where the PanLantic wall is placed.  Going further, Claude can find himself on the other side of Rockford district (I think) and then take a car to SSV through the underground tunnel.  I would take Claude to the Airport and fly a Dodo plane all the way back to Portland.  Could this be a new useful strategy that might improve many Portland missions?!  The one thing that worries me is trying to save a Dodo at a hideout garage.
What would you want to use the dodo for. Keep in mind that getting to that dodo and executing the glitch takes time as well. I don't see how using a dodo on the small distances between objectives can possibly be worth it?
Iha paska
Only places where you can really benefit from the dodo is long distance flights, Portland has none of that. Just cramped city streets and missions relying on car chases & on foot. Besides the current any% route is pretty much optimized to death, so much that every car you use will be faster than the dodo in the end.
So no :/

There are some stauton missions where it could benefit some time but you always have the risk of it despawning magically and other funky stuff.
Probably in a TAS one could use it a bit more but the time that it takes to get the dodo kinda negates every gain. Plus at least two of the stauton missions require you to ditch your car.
Maybe the closest window in a TAS could be the package collection from the water, providing that you can somehow glitch yourself and do everything in 1½ minutes, this would mean that you'd get it a whopping one mission earlier.
Sayanora salvatore is another oppoturnity but in there its not much use. Again TAS stuff Sad
Iha paska
Stealing this thread instead of necrobumping some old thread from 1799, just got a new GTA3 SS any% time of 1:29:50~ (from the end of the first cut scene to losing control). http://www.twitch.tv/oasiz____/b/334320192  (Rewind to 24:30 or so).

Can be a good source of info if someone intends to play this. Dunno any other runners that do SS any% so I will just claim this as a WR for now, hopefully someone will come and prove me wrong! Still planning to improve on this time as I can squeeze a minute off easily by avoiding some really stupid mistakes near the end (getting that far is another thing though). Hopefully I will land with a 1:27-28 next.
Formerly known as Skullboy
Nice SS Oasiz. I occasionally do casual SS any%  runs on the PS2 version and this will certainly help with routing. My dodo skills aren't too hot (too much flying in Shamal's in San Andreas), Anyways, I'm glad to see SS attempts for this great game. Cool music selection too, though I only recognized Moroder and Yaz.
Iha paska
Thanks, I am currently writing a text file that will include about everything regarding my current route which closely follows the current segmented run. Except that this one is more SS friendly.
I really suggest practicing dodo fligts, in any% SS you will optimally fly it three times. Not only does it make SAM a lot more easier but also speeds up GTaero + SAM + 'final mission trip' a ton.
I would suggest starting the practice with the aero route I do as you can easily gain enough speed and you don't really need to turn pretty much at all.
SAM mission is way trickier and maybe the hardest out of the three, take off is easy but if you want to use it for the next mission, you still need to land.
Flying to Catalina's is pretty easy as long as you have basic flying skills, I am not that great either but It's enough to get from point A to point B.
Feel free to ask if there is anything puzzling you about the game Smiley
Just watched it, was a great run apart from evidence dash. Up to that point you were only about a minute slower than rebel's any %. Oasiz, why don't you try for an actual run to submit yourself? If flying is the problem i can help you with that, landing the dodo is easy if you know what to do.
Edit history:
oasiz: 2012-10-05 05:28:02 pm
Iha paska
Thanks! and Thanks for the offer, do you use skype or IRC?
I doubt that I will get a minute faster portland due to that rounding but the second half of the game could use some work before it's publish-quality.
I kinda know how to operate the dodo landing but I still haven't mastered it.

Also wrote this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1623173/gtr3.txt Probably no one cares or even reads it but it has my random ramblings and tips if someone wants to do GTA3 SS Any%.
A lot of the stuff is either over-detailed or lacking in detail. Suggestions/corrections are welcome.
wow gta3 activity, havent checked back in a year or two, nice to see some things happening.
grats and good job on the finished run Silmeranza, the very end looks pretty close hp wise :p
the firetruck cannon and slowmo criminal rocket in the blooper vid are hillarious.

oazis keep at it, it will be fun to watch your run. i know how frustrating the 3 most random missions can be though, thats why i could never befriend myself with a ss run.
i was using some mod while practicing that lets you start any mission and spawn lot of different vehicles, very useful instead of loading all the time. not sure if youre still doing ps2 or switched to pc.
for ps2 theres a trick that might come in handy during the pick up, if you keep targeting and shooting repeatedly you can use your shotgun like a semi automatic.
also switching camera modes deletes traffic and if you stay at top down view you have a clear road equal to looking behind, if i remember right... so many things i forgot about the game hehe.

btw, my run isnt completely optimized, when i was done i had a better strat in mind for espresso to go, using the dodo for all of it and knocking the harbor stall in portland in mid flight.
the collision needs to be pixel perfect and out of 20 attempts i was able to do it perhaps once so yeah i prefered to keep my sanity instead because it would be the 3rd mission in my 4th segment and the ai in bait is so random.

thumbs up!

Iha paska
Hi l2ebel!

Thanks for the support, and yeah, I am using the PC version as can be witnessed from the presence of boxes at the first alley!
You can already see the current attempt a few posts above. http://www.twitch.tv/oasiz____/b/334771994

I really should install a mod like that, do you remember it's name by any chance?
For the random luck, I think I am going to settle with a 16:30 salvatore instead of your 15:30 as manipulating those two van missions for a single segment would just be too much.
Currently I think that most of the things are pretty nice but I am not even going to try the dam shooting, managed to get it but it's way too risky for a +1hr SS.
As for camera swaps, they seem really unreliable from what I can tell, useful in some places but there is still a small chance that a car didn't despawn on the roads from what I have experienced, again something that will be too risky/unreliable Sad

Did you ever time if it's faster to smash the fence in the fish factory mission and take the truck from there? I have used that route for some time now and seems to be a bit faster, not that it matters much due to the rounding.

Also in the bait it seems that the cars follow you IF you are inside a car but start going elsewhere once you exit it, this way I can get pretty darn consistent bait attempts. Just drive inside and sideways-SMG them once the driver dude with M16 exits the car.

Great to see some people who have shared the pain, Already done around ~750 attempts myself (where close to 95% end in the first 15 minutes), but getting there slowly!

Running this game finally makes me understand how insanely good luck you had during the three missions + execution, well done! Smiley
If you like GTA3-pain, be sure to check the highlights for plenty of bloopers.
didnt find it on the web so i uploaded it here http://speedy.sh/kakUD/gta3-mission-loader.zip
i dont even remember the ghost town key, could be useful if someone just wanted to plan routes or try something specific in a mission over and over.

ive only done portland in 15:30 3 times, the first time i wasnt recording and the second time the game hung up after 8ball bombed the ship. i think settling with 16:30 is ok for SS.
portland looks solid but are you planning on changing your routes for the later missions? more dodo usage? i hope you will because anyone the does use it will beat your time even if everything else is perfect.

ive never even considered the fence cause it takes so long to fall but since you go trough it two times it makes sense and is probably faster.

bait: i assume the ai follows traffic nodes but if im flying over tons of street paths they can get totally confused, its much more reliable by car. i usually stayed on the road because at times they wouldnt even enter the compound if i was waiting in there.

locked police car eh? RESTART! haha i remember that shit, 12 mins for nothing.
i had a look at some bloopers till i couldnt stand the ads no more. the game can knock you out fast for sure. ive seen a lot of that stuff and the teleport cops seem to be the most eager during the fucking asshole van mission :p
i noticed you jacking a cop car and driving off without closing the door, never do that! any cop with a bit of magery can bust you, their opening anim takes too long and youre 100% safe if you always close it.

the angel says "dont do it you masochist" but the devil says "fire up that game and check if you can still drive and fly!" Cheesy

Iha paska
Thanks! This will surely come in handy for practicing the later stuff (especially flying).

I really need to brush up the dodo stuff for the last few missions indeed. In the run that was actually my first time integrating the flying to catalina's, flying to the dam seems way too risky for normal playtrough as you get shot almost instantly but for the bait it should work just fine I think.. But this tool will make it a TON easier to grind certain stuff without any fear of having to redo & setup forever again.

Three times really seems something that sounds realistic, I have got close but still lacking that stupidly good luck with the vans.

Btw, digged trough the mission files that it's 70% and 80% lock chance for the police cars.. I should have plenty of time to check those if I aim for 16:30.
But thanks for that door tip, kinda habit to not close them now so closing it will help.

And yes, this game is complete shit, there are so many occasions where it doesn't even try to hide the fact that it's trying to fuck you over (hello tunnels).
But still I keep coming back to it...
you sir are a genius
I'll take that as a compliment for me, cause I see the run has been posted now. Tongue The downloadable videos also have subtitle comments, so go get them! Smiley