page  <- 1234567891011121314151617 -> <- 1 .. 4 .. 17 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Nice idea.

Silmaranza - use 12ebel's new jpg and get on with the run. Wink
Ooh, that's brilliant! Thanks for the easy solution l2ebel, I'll start converting right away. I have one last exam this week, but after that I'll get back to playing. Wink
Progress! Segment 7 is done:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5654578/14827338

Quite a boring segment actually, not much to say, but believe it or not, this took the most tries so far. Pretty much everything is very random and unpredictable which makes it hard to practice consistently.

'Trial By Fire' is basically a rampage, but the flamethrower is tricky. You can burn yourself and when you flame a car, they'll speed off and sometimes run you over. It went pretty well here. The rampage right after that is so much easier in a car than on foot, but the Banshee can't take much so their shots can blow up my car. Whenever a Triad van spots me, I need to get out of there cause they'll destroy my car in no time. I would only accept if I managed to beat the train when jumping from the tracks (it always comes at the same time). I usually just make it before the train, but this time it's quite far away (you can see it coming in the distance), so that adds up to a pretty impressive start! Smiley

'Patriot Playground' isn't that hard if you know what to do, but there are some tricky parts. My route is nearly identical to Cannibal's, with one slight change. I don't really care how fast it is, as long as it's done. I don't like doing these off-road missions much.

I'm not very good at aiming, so using the AK is a pain in the ass for me. The rampage went pretty well though, I use a trick to avoid being shot to death and have them pile up under me at the same time for easy kills. Used my health pretty well, haha. More AK-ing in 'Triads And Triabulations'. My shooting wasn't great, but could have been worse, so I'm happy. I got very lucky running into that cop car. I have Vigilante planned after this and if I don't find one during this mission, I go for the ones at the police station (which is also why I take this route), but they're usually locked.

Vigilante itself was kind of poor. I got pretty unlucky with the spawn points of criminals. Finished it in about 9:40, I managed 8:30 once. Oh well. I also screw up in the end, going the wrong way cause I didn't realise I was done already, haha. Too busy being excited about finally finishing this segment succesfully.
Watched the segment before reading what you wrote about it, and was going to highlight exactly the same bad points you did: poor aim with the AK (with a couple of really embarassing moments), which is pretty ugly but doesn't really cost that much time, and Vigilante looked as though you could've been much luckier. I also thought you were a bit late going into the menu with several of the first few Vigilante targets and it cost you several seconds. It's an okay segment, though, all things considered, and if it's taken a lot of effort to get then fair enough, it's keepable. If it hasn't, this is perhaps the first one that I'd want to try and improve if I were in your place.

As an aside, I wondered whether you're planning on using any death warping in this run. As I recall, there's a high price for it in the form of an unskippable series of tutorial messages the first time you're wasted, but I'm thinking the time saved (in particular to warp back from out-of-the-way hidden packages, such as the one(s) that can only be reached by boat) might justify it.
Haha, I wouldn't call it embarrassing, but yeah my aiming sucks. I dunno what it is, I'm just bad at it, no explanation really. You're right about being late going into the menu. This is because I have to move my hand from the gamepad to the keyboard to hit the escape button to pause, since I can't assign this function to a button on my gamepad, which sucks but there's nothing I can do about that.

But yeah, trust me, it won't get any better than this, haha. It might not look that way, but it's really hard to pull off. It took me so many tries just to finish this in an acceptable way. I do want to improve, but I just cba to do this segment anymore, it's just a pain. The next one is really fun though, and also much easier. I'll be leaving Portland and my time for it will be roughly 23 minutes. By then I'll have done pretty much the same things as Cannibal and I'm about 30 minutes faster, so that's good I guess.

And no, there'll be no death abuse. The tutorials are skippable and maybe they can save time somewhere, but I just find it cheap and I want to keep my weapons. I've also planned the out of the way stuff at moments where they don't cost any time, so I think it wouldn't be worth the effort.
Quote from Silmaranza:
This is because I have to move my hand from the gamepad to the keyboard to hit the escape button to pause, since I can't assign this function to a button on my gamepad, which sucks but there's nothing I can do about that.

I would say 'use your elbow then', but if you're moving on from this segment anyway I guess it's too late to matter.
we have lift off
I know you are sick of this segment but just a suggestion. Why not have the vigilante missions in a segment of its own so you can manipulate the luck properly? This will shorten the segment massively anyway. Maybe there is a mission you can do that gets you near your hideout? I mean if you did the vigilante in 8:30 one time thats over a minute lost! You finish the previous mission well under a minute away from your hideout so it seems like its worth it for manipulation. Also I agree the ak rampages can be done much faster, you stack them up beneath you sort of but they don't seem to die if you actually look at the kill counter. In terms of improving your aim a lot of its muscle memory, so while you may not be a natural at it with a bit of practise you should be decent enough. The actual route though is as always very optimal and impressive.
Hey ridd3r, yes I could do Vigilante in a seperate segment, but mind that that +/- 8:30 was done with extreme luck. My average (I've tried it about 8 times or so) is around 9:10. And don't forget that my start was really fast. My average at the Patriot is about 12:55 on the game clock so I won 17 seconds there already. Also, driving to the hideout and saving takes more time than you might think, and it advances time 6 hours which can't happen because of ingame time restrictions later on. It's a good idea, but it's just not worth it.

The mafia underneath me don't add to the counter because I was shooting dead bodies. Tongue You can see that the alive ones I kill do count, as well as the ones revived by the doctors later on. I agree my shooting in general is poor though, no excuse for that really, except that the AK is the worst gun in the game imo. I'll try to improve a bit.

Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
Quote from Silmaranza:
This is because I have to move my hand from the gamepad to the keyboard to hit the escape button to pause, since I can't assign this function to a button on my gamepad, which sucks but there's nothing I can do about that.

I would say 'use your elbow then', but if you're moving on from this segment anyway I guess it's too late to matter.

That would be a brilliant idea if I wasn't playing on a laptop. Wink
we have lift off
Well route planning and strategy are where you are excelling here so beating the old run significantly is a given. I haven't really noticed much weakness in your gameplay until now so if the segment was as quick as you can really manage (bearing in mind its not really short) then thats good enough. You said it took the most amount of tries so far so basically as long as you can't do that rampage much faster then stick with it.
Meh, to be honest this is one of the least optimized segments as far as route planning goes. Driving from the rampage to the train station works out well enough, but it's still a 'lack of anything better' solution, because I couldn't link anything else between them. I also really wanted to plan a Salvatore mission after Patriot Playground but I couldn't get it done, since Tony's missions have to be finished first. Ah well, bummer.

And of course you can always be faster but you have to draw an 'acceptance line' somewhere. This is good enough for me, and I'm picky. Besides, I still have 40 seconds to spare on that rampage, it's not that bad! Sad
Time to Kick Ass and Chew Bumble Gum
well dont worry. IF u cant do it. U can improve it sometime latter. If u seen my GTA SA 100% run. Then, u know it is not perfect. It is still rough as a rough draft of a run, but it was still done well. I wish i could help, but this seg is not possiable since its the shooting problem.
we have lift off
Cannibal does the rampage ending at 0:59, he doesnt stand on that wall, he stands on the ground floor to do it. Its not that bad, your driving is really good so you more than make up for it.
Expert Donkey Fister
ive tried this a couple of days ago for another game to emulate mouse movement on my gamepad, you can also bind any keyboard keys to a pad so perhaps this could be handy for the other 40 vigilantes, if you want to have escape on the pad.
Very nice so far. I really enjoyed it. (I even watched the vigilate mission which I always skipped at all other runs. *g*)

Maybe you could switch to a mouse for the missions which require a lot of shooting? (I hat aiming with a gamepad. ;))

Also I read once about putting the keyboard on the ground and hitting ESC with your feets. Cheesy
(Would be really funny to mention it in the comments later. *g*)
I admire the time you put into this game. Honestly, doing a speed run of this sort requires incredible patience and careful planing. There are so many variables and so many things to worry about.

I'm currently doing a GTA2 speed run and I can say that it's almost nothing compared to what your attempting.
Thanks for the feedback milkyway, much appreciated. Smiley

Hugo, I do switch to the mouse when I need to shoot, I just suck at it. Tongue Aiming with the gamepad is not even an option, so horrible. And I can't put the keyboard on the floor cause I'm playing on a laptop, like I mentioned earlier. I'll try out that program though, thanks l2ebel.
Quote from Silmaranza:
And I can't put the keyboard on the floor cause I'm playing on a laptop, like I mentioned earlier.

You can still plug a USB keyboard into a laptop, assuming you have one and that your laptop has more than the two USB sockets being used by your mouse and gamepad.
Have you checked your mouse settings? Often acceleration is activated which makes it hard to aim if you are not used to play a lot shooters. (I never could get used to it although it's pretty useful for normal work at the PC.)
Maybe just reducing the speed works fine as well. Well if it just looks "bad" and doesn't cost a lot time it doesn't matter that much anyway. Smiley

Looking forward for the next segment. Cheesy
^^ Agreed. I play CS and trust me, the first thing you want to do is get rid of mouse acceleration. What happens is that is the mouse speed constantly speeds up and then slows down again, making it diffucult to aim your target. Go to controls Panel and go to the mouse option. Uncheck "enhance pointer precision" under the pointers tab.

It wont save any time, but it will improve your consistency at the very least.

Also don't try play games with your lappy keyboard, it will most likely damage it. I know this and its happened to me before. I'm using an external keyboard connected to my lappy, and it works best.
we have lift off
At risk of going slightly off topic whats wrong with playing games on a laptop keyboard? I haven't had any problems so far.
It's not really relevant for me anyway. I don't even use the keyboard, I play with gamepad and mouse.

On-topic, I'm actually considering redoing segment 7. I tried Cannibal's strategy for the mafia rampage and it went surprisingly well. Not quite sure why I could never do it that way. I also installed that program l2ebel posted and it works so the pausing problem is solved which should speed up Vigilante a bit, as well as a new strategy that I think could save a lot. I'll also look into those mouse settings for a bit, thanks for the heads up.
Sounds nice. Smiley

@ridd3r.: Well I guess when he's upset he smashes his keyboard or mouse. Wink While the keyboard itself doesn't take a lot damage the notebook may very well.
Expert Donkey Fister
not everyone who speedruns smashes stuff, im using my kb since 2001 and ive never killed a gamepad, only some of the joysticks worn out :p
I'm only talking about a laptop keyboard, because its very soft and by constantly putting pressure on the keys by pressing the WASD keys, you'll eventually loosen the rubber which is stuck on to they keys that makes it soft to press.

It happened to me once, and I had to replace the whole keyboard and cost me some money, so go easy on the keyboard.

New and improved! Segment 7:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5698771/14933140

The other one is still available as well in case anyone wants to compare. Apart from a few strategy revisions, the basic route is the same. I watched l2ebel's any% run again for some tricks that came in useful. The first part until the AK rampage is pretty much identical (in strategy as well as time), from there on there's much improvement. I do the rampage the same way as Cannibal now, I could never pull it off that way and I really don't know why now. Finished it almost 40 seconds faster. The shooting in 'Triads and Triabulations' is better too. I also use a different route that is a little bit faster.

Vigilante is where I improved most. I use a new strategy where I restart whenever I feel that the criminal is too far away. You'll see it works out quite nicely, although I must admit I was insanely lucky with spawn points this time. Finished it in 7:54, an improvement of 1:46, and the entire segment is 2:31 minutes faster. I hope you guys are happy, haha, I won't be doing it again. The only bad thing is the trip to the first Triad warlord (although the 360 spin looks pretty awesome, heh), and the fact that I had to listen to MSX through the entire 'Patriot Playground'. It gets on my nerves. =(