--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
oasiz: 2012-11-09 12:37:56 pm
Iha paska
Stealing the show to bring a public service announcement.
Any% SS time was crushed down by ~3min and 35ec.
This atrocity can be seen at:
http://www.twitch.tv/oasiz____/b/338813270

So yeah, new WR stands at 1:26:14.
Off to get drunk and blazed ->
Awesome run, Silmaranza! Truly entertaining. thumbsup
Great run.  I really enjoyed the subtitles.  On my VLC player, it listed two subtitle tracks - am I missing anything on the second track? 
(And S.A.M. usually stands for "Surface to Air Missile".)
(Oops - should have logged in, so I could have edited.)
Also enjoying the blooper reel.  The explosion on the lift bridge is funnier having seen your comment in the main run that explains why you didn't get out!
The music adds a lot to Ray dancing around the front of your Barracks OL at the airport.

A couple of times during the run I found myself thinking, "Whoa, that was close - he almost got busted!  That would have been really unfortunate.  Oh yeah...I'll bet that happened many, many times."
Finally finished watching that beast.  Great run, Silmaranza!  There were only a few parts where one could save any significant amount of time (Staunton Vigilante, for example), but pretty much every one would have messed up the timing of either a time-sensitive mission, or the bridge.  The rest (in other words, 99% of the run) was some finely-distilled awesome.  And the subtitles were well worth it.  I even found myself watching otherwise boring parts just to see if you'd crack a joke or something.  Well done!

I also have to say that the blooper reel is one of the best and most amusing that I have ever seen.

The "fucking boxes!" (trademark maybe?) exist in the XBOX version too, but they are only a problem if you're going fast.  Like near the Banshee's top speed fast.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from oasiz:

Great job oasiz, SS muct be so demanding. But it's really fun to watch!
Anyway, congrats and thanks.
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. Smiley

@ ReverendTed, there is only one subtitle track, I'm not sure why your player says there are two.

@ AlecK47, that attempt at Staunton Vigilante was the fastest I had ever done it, it's really not easy to do fast believe me.
Iha paska
Quote from oasiz:

That run was complete shit.
You should totally watch this instead: http://www.twitch.tv/oasiz____/c/1734016
1:24:41.59 now.

Next one is probably the one that will end up being submitted, providing it looks good.
Formerly known as Skullboy
I still have that one to watch... oh well, two-fer! Once this semester's over, I may seriously look into SS's for the PS2 version.
Yeah Silmaranza, I know.  I've used that tactic in casual play because I'm impatient.  But your Portland and Shoreside Vigilante segments were just stupid good (and lucky), so by comparison...

Damn oasiz, and I thought that 1:26 was good...
Edit history:
oasiz: 2012-11-28 07:14:02 am
oasiz: 2012-11-15 08:46:54 am
oasiz: 2012-11-15 08:46:36 am
oasiz: 2012-11-15 08:46:36 am
Iha paska
1:24:23~

This one was shit as well due to one mistake that I plan to fix, plus one small improvement that I might do.

At least this one has "proper" subtitles and that stuff and a proper recording instead of xsplit encode.
Planning to submit something something really similar so this could be a teaser of the actual run itself.

I don't really know what caused me to get this good times since I used to struggle with Sub 1:30 a while ago.. oh well, I am not complaining, gotta do runs while it lasts! Sub 1:25 was my initial target for submission that I thought to be really out of reach but the game begs to differ it seems.
Edit history:
oasiz: 2013-03-13 01:48:27 pm
oasiz: 2012-11-28 07:12:07 am
Iha paska
+300 points for double post

(OLD YOUTUBE LINK REMOVED, RUN OBSOLETED)

http://www.twitch.tv/oasiz____/c/1749799  I think I will settle with this.

1:24:05~ is a reality now.

Currently getting stuff out and I think that this is the one I will submit. Had some really insane luck in some parts and some parts lacked a bit. I was super nervous at the last mission which cost me some time when driving to the dam, I actually reset the timer at the end instead of stopping it. Cheesy

I guess the insanely good luck kinda compensates for some of the small mistakes that occur.
It's not perfect but It's single segment.

ps. 'ings to Evidence dash and the GTA3 A.I. team, I love you guys! <3

EDIT: Youtube added.
DOSBox <3
Impressive!
I have to say, it's a good time, but the run clearly shows that you can definitely get 1:22 or even 1:21. Your Portland was good, but you didn't get the fast Salvatore. If the rest of the run is above average it would be acceptable, but after 'Payday for Ray', almost every mission has one or more in my opinion significant mistakes that really hurt the run. Stuff like missing one guy in 'Arms Shortage' and blowing yourself up in 'Silence the Sneak'. 'Evidence Dash' is probably where you compensate the most, but even that wasn't mindblowingly fast. Also, I think there are too many unnecessary car switches and buying two sets of rockets is a definite waste of time.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good run, but I think you should try for better. Your initial goal was sub 1:25 but you've improved enough to realistically lower that to sub 1:22, in my opinion.

Btw, what happens at 1:20? Looks like you edited the video?
Iha paska
I guess you are right there... I kept thinking that I am being too picky since everybody just agreed with submitting it but thanks for confirming this.
The more I look at the run now, the more I doubt this.

15:30 salvatore is still something I doubt that I can pull off in a SS setting due to the insane luck required, once you get that "1/80" luck, it gets really frustrating if you lose a run. Remember that 15:30 portland requires quick police car, good van heist luck and really good fish van luck, it just doesn't appear often at all. Even if you play pretty much perfect, you will land with a 16:30 portland if the luck doesn't align well. Usually when I get lucky, I make a mistake or two.
But yeah... maybe I should aim for worse luck and better execution instead of compensating with good luck.

1:20 thing? if you watched the twitch feed then it drops some frames here and there, the youtube encode is from the raw file and shouldn't have that issue.

But yeah... getting around 1:23 and a bit lower is what I want to get.
Car switches are very necessary, I switch one after Phil, one after bait since the yakuza stinger wouldn't have survived that fall very likely as I was alrady pushing the luck during the bait. Tunnel switch is because the traffic, you know what it can be like. especially that cartel car can make you explode if you get blocked by random cars in there.

Remember that a lot of the failsafe things are because it's in one segment, I can't retry a lot of the things over again so I usually have to stick with what is more reliable in the end.
Will need to investigate what I can do but remember that executing SS has it's limits, l2ebel got 15:30 salvatore three times when he did segmented stuff and he gets the luxury of being able to save after that and try stauton 'as if' starting a new game, meaning that the bar to reset can be lowered again a lot.

Well, enough of me defending but I agree, I will try to crush this time again then.
If you have any suggestions or ideas then they are welcome!

GTAIII... you win again Sad
Quote:
GTAIII... you win again

Oasiz - GTAIII
0 - 43455
Edit history:
Silmaranza: 2012-11-29 01:49:40 am
I know how frustrating it can be. I did about 2000 attempts at one of the segments in my run, cause I just didn't want to accept anything less than what I knew was possible. Not to put you under any more pressure.. Tongue A 16:30 Portland is perfectly acceptable, provided that the rest of the run is good. Like you say, good gameplay should compensate for bad luck, not the other way around. Then again, a bit of luck is always necessary for the best time, so basically gameplay should be a constant factor instead of a variable. And I've seen you play and I know you can do better than this run.

About car switches, I think that you think that the Banshee is more fragile than it actually is. After Phil, your Banshee's condition wasn't all that bad, it would have easily survived 'Evidence Dash'. If the car is smoking, it doesn't mean it's going to explode any minute. Check out SCM's run:
His Banshee is in worse condition than yours. Same goes for your Banshee in 'Espresso-2-Go', it would have easily made it if you concentrate on good driving. After 'Bait' you could have just switched Yakuza Stingers at Asuka, or is the Banshee really that much faster?

As for suggestions, I do have a few. In 'Bomb Da Base' I think it's best to shoot the first guy asap when you get out of the car, and then position yourself for the rest. I think 8-Ball starts running as soon as you shoot the first guy. In 'Evidence Dash', you should not drive to Donald in top down view but drive normally and look for a fast car, then shoot your car with an Uzi or something and jack the fast car while it's burning. That way you don't have to look for a car in the next mission. In 'Waka Gashira Wipeout', if there is not a fast car in the carpark, I think you should just drive to Donald with the wanted level. It's not that hard. In 'Espresso-2-Go', take out the 4th stall from the intersection where you also take out the van in 'Under Surveillance', so you don't have to take the staircase alley. I do the same in my run. In 'S.A.M.', start landing the Dodo sooner. It doesn't matter at all if you're dropping straigt down, just pull up that nose to a full stall if you feel that you're going too far. All that matters is that you push the nose back down while falling until you can't see it anymore, and you'll land perfectly.

Good luck. Smiley
Iha paska
Ok, thanks for the suggestions!

Evidence dash: I think you are right here.. the random luck of the police can be really annoying though and I have had too many potential runs end on bad police luck (spawn and smash at you). I guess I should try out it a few times to see what can be done.

Espresso-2-go: This swap was done because I wanted to make the drop alive, had I used the stinger it would be very likely that it would explode if the jump was even slightly off. This was a quick impulse and I should just take the risk instead. I did the mistake of not swapping the stinger during bait and was left with a really busted stinger for the mission itself.

BdB: Good idea, gotta also investigate if I can fix the scrollwheel a bit as it is super annoying in my mouse; zooming in randomly makes it go one step back so it stutters.

evidence: The reason I drive up there is that I want to avoid a 2-3 star wanted level for the next mission. When I left the car elsewhere I had a really high chance that a police car drove near it when it was on fire and that chained me wanted starts I really don't want to have.
I could try shooting the police first before ending the mission like l2ebel does.. need to investigate on that.

4th stall: Not a bad idea...

And about the two sets: This is done in case there is a ped on the way like in that run. 5 + 5  (-2 for kenji) (-4 for Phil) lands me with 4.
There is that stupid stall in the park that might need two in the worst case, that leaves me with two for the rest, one stall in airport and  the 4th stall. Maybe I could reduce the Phil rocket usage and use the M16 instead for the guys that spawn, would be a tad bit slower but I really want at least one rocket on the buffer. Missing one stall (5+ seconds) in a almost 1½h run is unfortunate but it can happen.
Plus I can use the rocket for the last car set in bait, got kinda lost in the inventory during that mission on that run so I didn't end up using it.

Landing the dodo: I land later because the surface is way more even there, the attempts I tried with earlier landing usually provided too risky and unreliable. Maybe I should investigate this a bit more then..

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!
Edit history:
oasiz: 2013-04-23 04:41:16 am
oasiz: 2013-03-13 01:47:47 pm
oasiz: 2013-03-07 11:13:07 am
oasiz: 2013-03-07 11:11:41 am
Iha paska
http://www.twitch.tv/oasiz____/b/374844392 (starts at 8:30~)
Audio level is low because I hate everybody.
1:24:04 --> 1:22:44

Saved a nice 1:20 there, and this is with a 16:30 portland, one stupid mistake with the 3-vans cost me a 15:30 portland.

EDIT:
Removed old run
Iha paska
GTAIII down at 1:21:38, this is pretty much perfect aside from one stupid risk taking that didn't pay off, costing about 20-30 seconds.
Rest of the luck kinda compensates for it like crazy.

Twitch with microphone -> http://www.twitch.tv/oasiz____/c/2193722
Video is still uploading as I type this but it should be uploaded in ~70min or so (+ processing time)
Youtube with a better quality video ->
DOSBox <3
Bummer about the screw up. But other than that, it was marvelous!
Totally rad
GTAIII is now down at 1:21:25. The run is great up until the end of SAM, where my landings could have been better, and I neglected to sprint at the very end (instead of jumping). Shooting down Catalina was also a tiny bit off, and costed 2-3 seconds. There were a few unfortunate bumps throughout the run, and Espresso 2 Go had an atrocious tunnel section.

Sub 1:21 will happen soon, either by oasiz or by myself, though it will be very hard to pull off.

Whoa! Nice job Adam Smiley As always, I miss cool stuff the one time I don't watch the stream ;_;
Formerly known as Skullboy
Good job Adam. I'll watch it soon.
Edit history:
Patrick: 2013-06-09 12:13:18 pm
Patrick: 2013-06-09 12:05:41 pm
New strat.
E: just found out that it is not brand new, someone has found it ~2 day ago or sth. like that.
Quote:
<Adam>basically, as far as we knew, the van would blow up every time. But not triggering the damage meter and standing sufficiently far away prevents it from exploding

Attachment: