Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617 -> <- 1, 2 ... 17 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
we have lift off
I would say that it would be quicker to use a banshee for taxi missions with no collecting of cars for import export. If you just have the taxi missions to focus on I think you could do it in 1 segment. This would require careful collection of cars for import/export but there is clearly no difference between picking up cars in between missions for import/export and doing it in taxi missions. So as I see it, you would overall save as much time as is quicker to perform taxi missions in the banshee as opposed to the taxi car.
I'm gonna do some testing with Taxi missions in a Banshee and see how that goes. I'll have to keep my eye out for import/export vehicles in other segments then. Although, I can just do them in the Taxi segment as well and just use a normal taxi after delivering a car until I get a dropoff at Easy Credit Auto's and then get a new Banshee. Hmm.. yeah I'm gonna do some testing then. Wink
Heavy Metal Powered
for getting a Whoopie i find it easiest to do vigilante missions until the bad guy drives one, then snag it and drive it to the IE garage

this will require ALOT of resets as its difficult to make it happen in Portland but that would be the most "optimal" way to score a Whoopie as i actually only seen it once in traffic and that was while driving a Whoopie

it is easier to get a Whoopie in Staunton but then you will have that long way drive with a car that probably is on the verge to catch a fire and then explode
Don't you get the whoopie during the second or third el burro mission?
we have lift off
Quote from Stu Rodriguez:

I think so but you have to blow it up as part of the mission and pushing it to a garage would take way too much time. I think the way I got it was during one of its rounds in the mafia area, but thats also luck dependant.
Quote from ridd3r.:
Quote from Stu Rodriguez:

I think so but you have to blow it up as part of the mission and pushing it to a garage would take way too much time. I think the way I got it was during one of its rounds in the mafia area, but thats also luck dependant.
I think you can complete that mission without having to blow up the whoopie by simply shooting the guys you have to kill.
Yep, you can finish that mission without blowing the Mr Whoopee up by just shooting the mafia members, so I'm taking that Mr Whoopee to the garage. I already had this planned in. Cannibal did the same in his run I think.

Anyway, I've tested a bit with the Banshee taxi driving. First I tried changing the controls around so that the sidemission button is not the same as the look behind button on foot because it's not easy to change cars while looking backward but if you do that, the trick doesn't work anymore. =/ I'm still gonna do it though I think, it actually does save quite a bit of time. Just need to practice a bit on doing the switch fast.

Still working on segment 3 now, but it's pretty hard because it has Van Heist and Taking Out The Laundry in it, so randomness all over the place. Sad
Edit history:
Silmaranza: 2009-04-08 07:16:42 am
Alright, time for an update, segment 3:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4826078/12874556

Before commenting on this segment, I should probably mention that I redid segment 2 because I made a slight change in my route. The only difference is that I do the unique jump over the trainstation walkway after I get those packages after Chunky Lee Chong, instead of the rampage. This will come out much better for a later segment. My original segment 2 was really good so I didn't want this one to be any less so it took quite a few attempts, heh.

Anyway, got segment 3 done. The only hard bit is the start so it wasn't as frustrating as segment 2. You only have to bring 4 girls to the ball so I use the remaining time to do some sidestuff. You can actually finish the mission earlier by getting all the girls but I figured, why waste time getting girls when I could be doing more important things? (wow, that sounds nerdy! =( )

The mission gives you a police car so I use it for some unique jumps. That first one is a pain in the ass, but the randomness of it going right isn't as bad when you know where to hit it. The rest isn't too hard, I get some packages and then take the second police car to the EV Crane and take the Yankee back because I need it for the next mission. Time used well me thinks!

'Van Heist' really isn't that hard, if you're using the right vehicle that is. I originally had planned to use the police car from 'The Fuzz Ball' but the Yankee is so much better than any regular car, it does so much more damage. It went better than usual though, this is really fast.

After that I do the last two Marty Chonks missions. Nothing too difficult there. Blocking the gate would be no use here because the car always disappears for me for some reason. I'm always on the lookout for rare vehicles and spotted a Trashmaster during 'The Wife' so I took it to the garage.

Then I do 'Cipriani's Chauffeur' and 'Taking Out The Laundry', the latter of which is awful because it's so random. But it went really well this time! Getting in those two police cars earlier gave me 10 shotgun shells that came in really handy here.

After that it's 'Dead Skunk In The Trunk', which is dangerous at the end of a segment because the Forelli's can screw you up real good. Fortunatly they didn't do much this time and I had a pretty smooth ride to the crusher.

I finish by getting a Banshee for the next segment. I'm kinda relieved I got this segment done. It's probably the most random segment of all, so I'm glad I managed to pull off a good one.
we have lift off
Still looking very good! Are you going to be doing the taxi missions now that you have the banshee?
No I'm doing them after 'Cutting The Grass'. Taxi missions will be in the segment after the one I'm going to do now.

I ran into quite a big problem though. I didn't realise that 'The Getaway' is time restricted (6:00 - 14:00) and as it turns out it comes out horribly since according to my planning I'll attempt the mission at around 15:00, which is impossible! Sad

I'm thinking of what to do now but I really can't come up with any other solution than filling the gap with some taxi fares and vehicles for the garage..
Looks good!

One thought; is there something more productive you could do at the end of the ho-collecting mission than taking the police car to the docks? I mean, you're pretty much guaranteed a police car there at the end of Van Heist, right? Or does it have to be spotless?
we have lift off
Quote:
I ran into quite a big problem though. I didn't realise that 'The Getaway' is time restricted (6:00 - 14:00) and as it turns out it comes out horribly since according to my planning I'll attempt the mission at around 15:00, which is impossible! Sad

I'm thinking of what to do now but I really can't come up with any other solution than filling the gap with some taxi fares and vehicles for the garage..

I assume it is at the beginning of the segment? So that you can't just drive there insanely quickly and make it before 14:00? Otherwise I assume you could switch something round. Also it doesn't need to be such a big problem as unless there is some other important reason for doing the taxi missions later there is no harm in doing them now instead is there?
I start off with 'Turismo' and 'I Scream You Scream' and 'The Getaway' after that. I thought about doing it after 'Turismo' but I need a 4 seater and I have a Banshee at that moment so that's not very convinient and switching things around screws up my wonderful planning. But you're right, doing some taxi fares now doesn't really change anything. I'll still be doing the majority of them in a Banshee anyway. Plus, it gives me some time to collect the cars so I guess it's ok.

ExplodingCabbage, I did a bit of testing with what I could do during the remaining time on that mission and this turned out to be the best strategy. You're right, I could probably jack a cop car that's usually around after 'Van Heist' but taking it to the crane takes time while taking it there during 'The Fuzz Ball' doesn't cost me any time because I have to wait for the timer!

Besides, there really isn't anything else to do around the Old School Hall. Every side thing has been done/collected. Also, the main reason I go to the crane is to get the Yankee because I need it for the next mission so it's only logical to take the Police there now.
Heavy Metal Powered
i see you did the Callahan Bridge Unique Jump in seg 3, that is not very "optimal" as it is way more effective to take it during a mission where you have to cross the bridge later (in for example Espresso2Go)

are you sure there aren't anything else you can do to pass the time ? like delivering a Mule to the IE garage while grabbing the Yankee
Well, the thing is, I have to do that jump at the start of a segment because it's really hard to do. Also, every trip back to Portland is already 'occupied' with a different objective (mostly taking vehicles to the garage/EV Crane) so I won't be able to do the jump then cause none of the vehicles are able to make it (I actually tried to do it with a Perrenial during Uzi Rider but it's too crappy). The only car I use for trip back to Portland that can make it is the FBI Car but I do that in the middle of a segment so that's a risk I'm not willing to take after doing a whole bunch of stuff.

And no, there's nothing else really that I can do to pass the time. Yes, I could deliver the Mule but I chose to do the more 'out of the way' stuff because it's obviously better to do that when it doesn't cost any time then to do it later when it does cost time. Delivering the Mule is an objective that doesn't require a huge detour while some of the packages I get during 'The Fuzz Ball' do, so this actually is the most optimal route. I planned the entire run in advance for a reason, there really isn't anything I overlooked or any strategy that I haven't considered. I actually put a lot of thought in it. Wink
Heavy Metal Powered
alright, just checking Tongue
Quote from Silmaranza:
I didn't realise that 'The Getaway' is time restricted (6:00 - 14:00) and as it turns out it comes out horribly since according to my planning I'll attempt the mission at around 15:00...

Could you enter the hideout three times at the start of the segment, advancing the clock 18 hours so you arrive at 9.00?

Then start the segment after this one by entering the hideout once more, advancing the clock an extra 6 hours, putting you back on your intended timetable... though it being one in game day ahead, 24 in game hours.
I thought about that Bill, and I might just do it but I find it a bit cheap for some reason. Not sure why. I don't rule out the option yet though.

After that mission it doesn't really matter anymore cause that's the last time restricted mission, as far as I know.
Quote from Silmaranza:
I find it a bit cheap for some reason.

I know what you mean.  I felt similar when I saw CannibalK9 use it.

Feels like your adapting the game to your route, rather than have your route perfectly fit with the game?

Still sometimes, "In the intrest of time sacrifices must be made..."  Rather put up with an irrational thought in the back of your mind now than have a slower run later right?
Heh, maybe. I came up with a different plan just now though, I'm just gonna do taxi missions with the Banshee until around the time I need to start the next segment with. Taxi missions are the perfect way to end a segment at a certain exact time, and I guess splitting the taxi mission up won't hurt. Might actually be better.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
i vote for taxi \o/
Stalker!
i vote for everything at least it is fast
It would be great if you could upload segment 1, too if it's not too much trouble. Fantastic segments so far!
Hey Christian. Sure, I'll upload the first segment tomorrow. It's really quite boring though, with the Paramedicing. Although I guess it has its interesting moments (with one retarted woman standing behind a fence on level 12..).

Btw, I decided to do the Taxi Driver mission first now that I have the Banshee. I did some calculations and the time would come out right if I did it in two segments. So there's 2 segments of Taxi driving now, adding up to 45 minutes in total, which is good I think. 4th segment is 40 fares in a row, 5th is 46 in a row, both without respraying the Banshee, which I can tell you is not easy! Got lucky with the dropoff points though, especially in segment 5. Very few dropoffs at Greasy Joe's and Easy Credit Auto's.

I'm about to start running segment 6, but I have exams coming up so it'll be a while before I finish it.
torch slug since 2006
I must say that I love your speedrun. I allways liked GTA runs of how different people do (like taking your first hidden package in segment 2 by driving the car of the trail track, i never tought of that. So yeah, I love your run. I will absolutely watch it. And it makes me wanna do GTASA 100%.