Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617 -> <- 1 .. 3 .. 17 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Expert Donkey Fister
arent you gonna upload the taxi segments?
Heh, thanks DJS. SA 100% would be awful, haha. Tongue I'm not even sure if I'll ever attempt a Vice City run, I don't know it as well or like it as much as GTA III.

l2ebel, sure I'll upload them if you want. They're really not very interesting though. I'll post them up later.

Here's segment 1:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4897830/13049332

I had to go for the low quality one because Yahoo doesn't accept videos over 150 MB, so sorry for that.

No surprises really, pretty much the same as Daniel's first segment. The beginning isn't perfect (the Stallion is horrible! =( ), but Paramedic went quite well (talk about horrible cars) so I was ok with it. If you plan on watching the whole thing, some comments on it:

I don't use the siren. It makes the traffic even more unpredictable than it already is. You'll see that all small mistakes are mostly the traffic's fault, but the siren makes it much worse.

On level 10 I hesitate a bit after picking up the first 2 patients. I was gonna go for another pick up in Hepburn Heights but they were further away than I thought, and I figured I had to make 4 trips either way, so I just went for a drop off.

On level 12 there's a woman behind the fence. >_> Taxi fares spawn there too sometimes. I guess it's a bug in the game, quite annoying. I managed to break it down pretty quickly though, so I didn't lose much time.

After Paramedic I do some taxi fares because I need to save the game around 21:30 for the next segment to start at the right time.
Alright, here's the taxi segments:

4: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4898122/13050021
5: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4898228/13050340

I put on Chatterbox to keep it interesting for both the viewer and myself. Tongue

40 + fares in one go is not easy, but I got a lot of practice with the Banshee so it wasn't too bad. Driving in the rain is a pain though.

I was going to save after the last dropoff in segment 5 because Ammunation is pretty close to the hideout but then I spotted the Securicar so I took it to the garage. Only downside of this is that I had to make a little detour to get another Banshee because I need it for the next segment. Also got some other cars that happened to be driving near the harbor entrance. Too bad my Moonbeam disappeared though. =(
Expert Donkey Fister
paramedic is boring to me but as soon as a banshee comes into play ill watch it Tongue

tried to do the taxi glitch myself to mess around but i couldnt do it, i tried resetting the controls too as i think you said it only works like that, but no luck, does it only work on 1.0 perhaps? :/
torch slug since 2006
Lol nice banshee  taxi glitch. never seen it before.
Quote from l2ebel:
tried to do the taxi glitch myself to mess around but i couldnt do it, i tried resetting the controls too as i think you said it only works like that, but no luck, does it only work on 1.0 perhaps? :/

1.0? Is that the game version you're referring to? I bought my copy of the game a year or so ago I think, no idea which version it is.

And yeah, I tried switching around the controls but it only works as long as you keep 'active submission' and 'look behind' assigned to the same key/joypadbutton (you don't have to completely reset the controls, just make sure those two actions share the same button). I thought it would be difficult to do because walking while looking behind you is tricky, but it wasn't so bad after some practice. I always had to make the same walk in the same direction anyway because the Taxi and Banshee are always in the same position and I'd simply restart if the car coming down the road was not a taxi. Smiley
Heavy Metal Powered
Quote from Silmaranza:
Alright, here's the taxi segments:

4: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4898122/13050021
5: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4898228/13050340

I put on Chatterbox to keep it interesting for both the viewer and myself. Tongue

40 + fares in one go is not easy, but I got a lot of practice with the Banshee so it wasn't too bad. Driving in the rain is a pain though.

I was going to save after the last dropoff in segment 5 because Ammunation is pretty close to the hideout but then I spotted the Securicar so I took it to the garage. Only downside of this is that I had to make a little detour to get another Banshee because I need it for the next segment. Also got some other cars that happened to be driving near the harbor entrance. Too bad my Moonbeam disappeared though. =(
looks really good, the fare outside AmmuNation that wanted to go to AmmuNation in seg 5 cracked me up a bit
I actually got that Taxi thingy working. I binded activate submissions to P and look behind to P as well. works good!
Apologies for the delay, I've been really busy and haven't had much time to play, but I finished segment 6 today.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5029990/13375313

This was a really hard segment to do, mainly because of the extremely random 'Turismo' mission. It's actually much harder than you might think if you want to do it without any major mistakes, which is what I wanted. This is why I put it at the start of a segment, I have restarted so many times just because of a car suddenly crashing into me. The randomness of the traffic is no fun. =( Fortunatly it's nighttime so there's a bit less traffic on the streets. It went really well this time, it's actually my second best time ever (I did a 130 once).

Less traffic on the street actually works against me in the rocket launcher rampage after that, but there's also almost no people walking the streets which is really helpful because they usually start vigilanting and there's no way to kill them without killing yourself. The unique jump right after that is a tricky one. It wasn't perfect this time, but I managed to stay on the track and do a decent jump off at the end.

From here on, I need to start looking out for Import/Export cars I still need. In this segment, I need to find a Moonbeam, Flatbed and Bus or I restart. You'll see that my routes on the following missions (The Getaway, Salvatore's Called A Meeting, Chaperone..) aren't optimal, that's where I try to help my luck a bit by driving through Chinatown where the cars I need usually spawn. And it works! Smiley

I found both the Flatbed and Bus at the same time during 'The Getaway', haha. I had to make a choice there, so I went for the Flatbed because it's a bit more rare than the Bus for me. Taking a vehicle to the garage during this mission is actually quite tricky, because the Kuruma parked there has an alarm like, 90% of the time and that usually results in a wanted level which I can't have.. but this time it didn't! Extremely lucky because there's a police car right there when I exit the harbor. The mission went fine also. I park like that at the bank because one of them usually gets killed (I really wonder how, they're the only ones with guns..), so the other two will both get in on the right side, which makes the drop off at their hideout faster! Yes, it saves practically nothing, but it's fun to plan like that. Wink

I tried out quite a bunch of different strategies for 'The Pick-up', and this one proved to be the most reliable. I need to fire at least one shot before getting in the car or else the two at the end of the alleyways won't come running. If the shotgun blast hits the guy in front of me it's a plus, but it's really not necessary. It goes nice and quick this way.

In 'Salvatore's Called A Meeting', I take the alleyway next to Ammunation on the way to Toni and get a wanted level, which almost never happens! I had already found all the cars I needed for the garage by this time though (which saves me a trip through Chinatown on 'Chaperone'), and the star disappears quite soon, so I let it go. It costs me about 5 or 6 seconds, but finding the Moonbeam, Bus and Flatbed at pretty much ideal locations really makes up for it a lot.

On 'Chaperone', I use the Cheetah that is always parked at the party to do some unique jumps in the area while Maria is shaking her butt. Wink The Cheetah is far superior to the Banshee when it comes to jumps. That last jump is a pain in the ass though, I sometimes make it onto the second warehouse but usually I fall inbetween them, like now. Fortunatly I can afford it though, since it's the last jump and it's only a short walk back to the limo, so it doesn't cost much time.

'Cutting The Grass' is an easy mission, but I made it a bit harder for myself by getting the package near the taxi. Jumping the taxi out of that area sometimes works like a charm and sometimes it flips your car over, seems to be completely random. It's somewhere inbetween this time, but it worked so it's all good. I don't have much time to spare to get to Luigi's club in time, but I made it. A Stallion crashes into me on the way there and I was really afraid my Taxi would be too messed up, cause then Curly Bob won't get in. Luckily he did though, but I probably couldn't have taken another bump.

I finish by doing the last four taxi fares needed for a 100. Curly Bob has to be killed quickly otherwise he'll shoot his shotgun at my car and then passengers won't get in. Almost flipped the taxi too by a totally random bump. =/ I finished at the car showroom so I thought I might as well take the Banshee for the next segment.

Heh, I'm ranting again. Oh well, I promised to be detailed so there you go. Feedback and comments are always appreciated!
we have lift off
Very nice segment! Also pretty long especially given the randomness of the game. Some very nice strategies for the missions, like 'the pickup'. Its really nice how you do so many things in 1 mission, like packages, stunts, cars for export etc. I am really interested to see how this compares with Cannibal's run. It would be good if you could put the cumulative time you are at every time you post a new video, so at the moment it must be getting on for 2 hours or probably a bit more.

Apart from a few unlucky parts like the rocket rampage and some crashing with the taxi, I can't really see much room for improvement and you get very lucky with finding a bunch of cars for export. Also impressive that you managed all three unique jumps in one go. I can't really think of any route changes that would improve that segment as I don't know the game half as well as you, I'm just enjoying seeing it all come together.
What the guy above me said. I don't know enough to really know how good any of this is or suggest any improvements, but damn it's fun to watch (and it looks fast).

The music on the radio when you got into the Cheetah was perfect ("Let's go for a joyride").
Hehe yeah I noticed that too while playing! Tongue I promised myself to never change radio stations, regardless of what's on, that'll keep it balanced and interesting for everyone I guess. Although I really hope that the cars I keep for longer periods of time in later segments don't have MSX on, it's the only station I really can't stand too long. =( I ended this segment with a Banshee with Rise FM on though, which is my favorite station, so yay! Hehe..

Ridd3r, comparing total times really doesn't say much, although it's probably quite accurate if I do it after the last Portland segment, since Cannibal and I will have done roughly the same stuff by then (apart from a few loose ends). I'm curious too!
we have lift off
Quote:
Ridd3r, comparing total times really doesn't say much, although it's probably quite accurate if I do it after the last Portland segment, since Cannibal and I will have done roughly the same stuff by then (apart from a few loose ends). I'm curious too!

I didn't mean compare times, I just meant write your total time so far down every time you post a new segment. Also yeah, comparing at the end of each island would probably give a good idea of how your doing.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Nice long segment, I particularly liked your way of dealing with 'The Pick-up', also I love the idea of doing the unique jumps during 'Chaperone' (not sure of how much waiting time is saved by this strat though, is it more than a couple seconds?).

Please keep up the good work.
Currently occupying the grey area.
i don't think there's any waiting time saved. It would just be so he doesn't have to waste time doing the jumps later on.
Wow, this is looking good! I'm looking forward to the whole.
Any progress?

This run is awesome so far!
Hey Jack, no nothing new yet. I haven't had much time to play and I did some more testing as well for later segments. Will get on with it soon though!
Any progress with this?/Motivational post.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from Bill:
Any progress with this?/Motivational post.

+1

Would be sad not to finish after such an impressive start.
Time to Kick Ass and Chew Bumble Gum
yes i would like to see more. Although i did plan about this but it was not complete either. 
Hey guys, just an update here.

I can't continue at the moment simply because I don't have enough harddrive space. I do the encoding myself but I decided to include subtitle commentary in the videos, so I have to put a 4th line in the statid but that can't be done with Anri Chan atm. Nate posted a way of doing this manually here http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,10105.msg283129.html#msg283129 but I can't figure out how that works, so I'm just waiting for him to release Anri 4 now..

Don't worry though, I'm not leaving this project. It will be finished some day! Smiley
we have lift off
So you mean once you have encoded it you will have enough space as you can get rid of the fraps files which are much larger? If you can afford it you should get an external hard drive as by the time you get to your final segment you may find you haven't got enough space to record even with the files encoded.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean ridd3r. Smiley And I've already calculated that I'll have enough harddrive space for the mp4 files if I can just delete the Fraps avis.
Expert Donkey Fister
this is what ive done: http://i26.tinypic.com/1zyyqmb.jpg

i just put it in the respective anri project folder which is created on the desktop by default iirc