Smiley
Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617 -> <- 1 .. 13 .. 17 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Yeah the tank is locked in that mission and it won't appear there unlocked until after the final mission so the only option is to steal one from the military. It takes me about 90 seconds to get it, I don't think I could push it from Phil's place to my hideout in that time. Tongue

Quote from ilikespeedruns:
and by the way, when i was delivering the 7 emergency vechicles, i stuck around and waited for the last one, so then i wouldn't have that glitch where it shows 98% when you've done everything in the game

Already taken into account. Smiley
(user is banned)
Edit history:
dead_horse: 2011-07-10 12:20:10 pm
dead_horse: 2011-07-10 12:18:00 pm
i have alredy done 100% on gta3 and i thought i'd try again only this time as a speedrun

i completed the first couple of main story missions then took an amublence and stored it in my garage, because if i save then i wont have to start the game again if i fail on the ambulence mission

at the moment i just can't seem to be able to pass it and it doesn't make sense leaving it any later

first problem is time extensions are too short most of the time, secondly i can't tell exactly where the patients are because you don't get a map, and third thing is i try to do a sharp turn but then my ambulence tips over

i have spend almost 10 tries and i'm still stuck, but i was able to do the vice city ambulence mission first time
Edit history:
Worn_Traveler: 2011-07-10 12:25:42 pm
Formerly known as Skullboy
Vice City ambulance is far easier to do, especially since you have a pause map and the terrain is far more friendly. I've had trouble with the one on GTA 3 before but I've found the best thing to do is to not do sharp turns around the corners. The ambulance is easy to tip (if it makes a difference, I've only played the PS2 version). You want to go fast but going breakneck speed around corners is not going to consistently work.

As far as the patients, I've learned from watching both the current run and the one Silmaranza is working on is to quantify. In other GTA games you generally want to go to whoever is furthest from the hospital first and to some extent you want to do the same here. I've learned from experience as well that there are only so many places that the people will spawn as well, but distance can be hard to judge. You'll get it eventually. Go fast, but not Sonic fast, unless you like restarting a lot.
Quote from Skullboy:
As far as the patients, I've learned from watching both the current run and the one Silmaranza is working on is to quantify. In other GTA games you generally want to go to whoever is furthest from the hospital first and to some extent you want to do the same here.

This is not true. You get a certain amount of time at the start, and a number of seconds for every patient, but you also get extra time after the first drop off (and only the first). So, the best thing to do is to first get the group closest to the hospital (always divide patients in groups of 3) to build up time and then get the rest. You should always have enough time this way.
Hello! I don't think I've ever had this long a break between segments but whatever, segment 16 is here!

Part 1:
Part 2:

I apologise for the low framerate at some points but there's a lot going on in this segment (heavy rain, police chases) that I think causes this so there isn't anything I can do about it.

Comments:

There are a bunch of little imperfections in 'Espresso 2 Go' that cost about 10 seconds in total but I continue anyway cause there's a bridge lowering at 7:00 and it would be no use being there any earlier so no time is lost. I saved the package at the harbor all the way until now because I needed to have something to do while the tank is being loaded onto the ship. I then go for a quick check up to avoid the glitch that CannibalK9 ran into. You can see my money go up and the icons appear when I get there.

'Decoy' is very rough (usually they're much less aggressive) but it doesn't matter cause it's on a timer and I get everything done that I have planned. The mission gives you 15 free seconds to do whatever you want when you exit the van so I had a nice route planned out with a whole bunch of stuff but that didn't work out since the helicopter will destroy the Securicar fast if you don't have a place to hide it under. So now I only get that one package that is really out of the way and some armor for later.

My strategy for 'Kingdom Come' is the fastest I could find. I can only use rockets for the first two vans because for the last two the bombers will be too far away from the van to be killed in the explosion and I can't kill them from close up with the rocket launcher so I use my M16. That Stinger is locked sometimes, which is a really lame way to fail the segment but it has happened. It takes too long to take the Esperanto and find a sportscar on the street instead, so I would only accept if the Stinger was unlocked. I got a cool orange one too.

The flamethrower rampage was kinda slow, usually they're more grouped together. It's ok though, and the two Yardie rampages went really well. I had to find a way to do them without the Yardies being able to reach me because they already hate me at this point so they'll come running for me and I can't kill them from close up with these weapons. Works very well this way though.

97%.. almost done!
Right, forget about this one. I thought of a better route for Espresso 2 Go and after some testing it seems to work, so I'm going to redo this segment. It'll be the same for the most part, just the one adjustment for Espresso 2 Go that will save some time.
Quote:
I then go for a quick check up to avoid the glitch that CannibalK9 ran into

could you tell what kind of glitch? cause i cant remember whats wrong was there in Cannibal's run :p
Quote from DracoL1ch:
Quote:
I then go for a quick check up to avoid the glitch that CannibalK9 ran into

could you tell what kind of glitch? cause i cant remember whats wrong was there in Cannibal's run :p

In cannibalK9s run, the tank delivery didn't register in-game and he was stuck with 98% at the end of the run. He had to return to the harbor after the credits to get 100%.
DOSBox <3
Do love seeing the run nearing conclusion:)
@Silmaranza:
I decided to watch one part per week but not without comments so I copied them together. Could you please add them to the first post?

general:

Oh, yeah it might be interesting to show the current stats. I actually kept track of that, so here they are after every segment so far. I guess I'll do that after every segment I post from now on.

DP stands for days passed, I guess you can work out the rest on your own.

Seg 1 of 17: 3% - M: 2/73, IE: 1/32, EV: 1/7, Paramedic, Taxi Driver: 10/100, DP: 2
Seg 2: 9% - M: 9/73, HP: 10/100, R: 1/20, UJ: 1/20, EV: 2/7, Firefighter: 20/60, DP: 3
Seg 3: 13% - M: 16/73, HP: 14/100, UJ: 3/20, IE: 3/32 EV: 3/7, DP: 4
Seg 5: 19% - IE: 7/32, Taxi Driver 96/100, DP: 6
Seg 6: 31% - M: 23/73, HP: 20/100, R: 2/20, UJ: 7/20, IE: 12/32, Taxi Driver: 100/100, DP: 8
Seg 7: 34% - M: 26/73, HP: 22/100, R: 4/20, Vigilante: 20/60, DP: 9
Seg 8: 41% - M: 33/73, HP: 30/100, R: 6/20, UJ: 8/20, IE: 14/32, DP: 10
Seg 9: 50% - M: 43/73, HP: 46/100, R: 8/20, UJ: 10/20, DP: 12
Seg 10: 54% - M: 49/73, HP: 49/100, R: 9/20, UJ: 11/20, EV: 4/7, DP: 13
Seg 11: 61% - M: 55/73, HP: 54/100, UJ: 12/20, EV: 5/7, Vigilante: 40/60, DP: 14
Seg 12: 68% - M: 60/73, HP: 61/100, UJ: 16/20, IE: 16/32, EV: 6/7, DP: 15
Seg 13: 72% - M: 64/73, HP: 67/100, R: 12/20, UJ: 17/20, Firefighter: 60/60, DP: 16
Seg 14: 85% - M: 65/73, HP: 75/100, R: 15/20, UJ: 19/20, IE: 32/32 DP: 17
Seg 15:88% - M: 67/73, HP: 77/100, R: 17/20, UJ: 19/20, Vigilante: 60/60, DP: 18

No surprises really, pretty much the same as Daniel's first segment. The beginning isn't perfect (the Stallion is horrible! =( ), but Paramedic went quite well (talk about horrible cars) so I was ok with it. If you plan on watching the whole thing, some comments on it:

I don't use the siren. It makes the traffic even more unpredictable than it already is. You'll see that all small mistakes are mostly the traffic's fault, but the siren makes it much worse.

On level 10 I hesitate a bit after picking up the first 2 patients. I was gonna go for another pick up in Hepburn Heights but they were further away than I thought, and I figured I had to make 4 trips either way, so I just went for a drop off.

On level 12 there's a woman behind the fence. >_> Taxi fares spawn there too sometimes. I guess it's a bug in the game, quite annoying. I managed to break it down pretty quickly though, so I didn't lose much time.

After Paramedic I do some taxi fares because I need to save the game around 21:30 for the next segment to start at the right time.

Joey's first mission can be done only after 5:00 and Marty's missions after 9:00 so planning it like this made sense. Anything that could be seen as a mistake or holdup before 'The Crook' isn't really important as long as I make it to the phone before 9:00, which I do. But there isn't any mistakes really. Got lucky with the bump that didn't register in 'Mike Lips Last Lunch' though. The jump with the taxi is not easy but after doing it a hundred times you get the hang of it.

The Shotgun rampage provides me with a Colt and a bunch of ammo which will come in handy later. That rampage can be difficult though, sometimes the Triads just don't spawn. But it went pretty well this time. I accidentally run over a cop in 'The Thieves' and get a two star wanted level, but it didn't cost me any time since I managed to dodge the cops on my way to the Pay N Spray. After that I go through the police bribe alley to break off the driver's door since Marty's car will lock after the mission and I want to continue using it.

I do the Uzi rampage in a car since it's easier and there's no reloading. It also gives me the chance to drive over to Luigi for his next mission while killing Triads on the way.

Before commenting on this segment, I should probably mention that I redid segment 2 because I made a slight change in my route. The only difference is that I do the unique jump over the trainstation walkway after I get those packages after Chunky Lee Chong, instead of the rampage. This will come out much better for a later segment. My original segment 2 was really good so I didn't want this one to be any less so it took quite a few attempts, heh.

Anyway, got segment 3 done. The only hard bit is the start so it wasn't as frustrating as segment 2. You only have to bring 4 girls to the ball so I use the remaining time to do some sidestuff. You can actually finish the mission earlier by getting all the girls but I figured, why waste time getting girls when I could be doing more important things? (wow, that sounds nerdy! =( )

The mission gives you a police car so I use it for some unique jumps. That first one is a pain in the ass, but the randomness of it going right isn't as bad when you know where to hit it. The rest isn't too hard, I get some packages and then take the second police car to the EV Crane and take the Yankee back because I need it for the next mission. Time used well me thinks!

'Van Heist' really isn't that hard, if you're using the right vehicle that is. I originally had planned to use the police car from 'The Fuzz Ball' but the Yankee is so much better than any regular car, it does so much more damage. It went better than usual though, this is really fast.

After that I do the last two Marty Chonks missions. Nothing too difficult there. Blocking the gate would be no use here because the car always disappears for me for some reason. I'm always on the lookout for rare vehicles and spotted a Trashmaster during 'The Wife' so I took it to the garage.

Then I do 'Cipriani's Chauffeur' and 'Taking Out The Laundry', the latter of which is awful because it's so random. But it went really well this time! Getting in those two police cars earlier gave me 10 shotgun shells that came in really handy here.

After that it's 'Dead Skunk In The Trunk', which is dangerous at the end of a segment because the Forelli's can screw you up real good. Fortunatly they didn't do much this time and I had a pretty smooth ride to the crusher.

I finish by getting a Banshee for the next segment. I'm kinda relieved I got this segment done. It's probably the most random segment of all, so I'm glad I managed to pull off a good one.

I put on Chatterbox to keep it interesting for both the viewer and myself. Tongue

40 + fares in one go is not easy, but I got a lot of practice with the Banshee so it wasn't too bad. Driving in the rain is a pain though.

I was going to save after the last dropoff in segment 5 because Ammunation is pretty close to the hideout but then I spotted the Securicar so I took it to the garage. Only downside of this is that I had to make a little detour to get another Banshee because I need it for the next segment. Also got some other cars that happened to be driving near the harbor entrance. Too bad my Moonbeam disappeared though. =(

Apologies for the delay, I've been really busy and haven't had much time to play, but I finished segment 6 today.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5029990/13375313

This was a really hard segment to do, mainly because of the extremely random 'Turismo' mission. It's actually much harder than you might think if you want to do it without any major mistakes, which is what I wanted. This is why I put it at the start of a segment, I have restarted so many times just because of a car suddenly crashing into me. The randomness of the traffic is no fun. =( Fortunatly it's nighttime so there's a bit less traffic on the streets. It went really well this time, it's actually my second best time ever (I did a 130 once).

Less traffic on the street actually works against me in the rocket launcher rampage after that, but there's also almost no people walking the streets which is really helpful because they usually start vigilanting and there's no way to kill them without killing yourself. The unique jump right after that is a tricky one. It wasn't perfect this time, but I managed to stay on the track and do a decent jump off at the end.

From here on, I need to start looking out for Import/Export cars I still need. In this segment, I need to find a Moonbeam, Flatbed and Bus or I restart. You'll see that my routes on the following missions (The Getaway, Salvatore's Called A Meeting, Chaperone..) aren't optimal, that's where I try to help my luck a bit by driving through Chinatown where the cars I need usually spawn. And it works! Smiley

I found both the Flatbed and Bus at the same time during 'The Getaway', haha. I had to make a choice there, so I went for the Flatbed because it's a bit more rare than the Bus for me. Taking a vehicle to the garage during this mission is actually quite tricky, because the Kuruma parked there has an alarm like, 90% of the time and that usually results in a wanted level which I can't have.. but this time it didn't! Extremely lucky because there's a police car right there when I exit the harbor. The mission went fine also. I park like that at the bank because one of them usually gets killed (I really wonder how, they're the only ones with guns..), so the other two will both get in on the right side, which makes the drop off at their hideout faster! Yes, it saves practically nothing, but it's fun to plan like that. Wink

I tried out quite a bunch of different strategies for 'The Pick-up', and this one proved to be the most reliable. I need to fire at least one shot before getting in the car or else the two at the end of the alleyways won't come running. If the shotgun blast hits the guy in front of me it's a plus, but it's really not necessary. It goes nice and quick this way.

In 'Salvatore's Called A Meeting', I take the alleyway next to Ammunation on the way to Toni and get a wanted level, which almost never happens! I had already found all the cars I needed for the garage by this time though (which saves me a trip through Chinatown on 'Chaperone'), and the star disappears quite soon, so I let it go. It costs me about 5 or 6 seconds, but finding the Moonbeam, Bus and Flatbed at pretty much ideal locations really makes up for it a lot.

On 'Chaperone', I use the Cheetah that is always parked at the party to do some unique jumps in the area while Maria is shaking her butt. Wink The Cheetah is far superior to the Banshee when it comes to jumps. That last jump is a pain in the ass though, I sometimes make it onto the second warehouse but usually I fall inbetween them, like now. Fortunatly I can afford it though, since it's the last jump and it's only a short walk back to the limo, so it doesn't cost much time.

'Cutting The Grass' is an easy mission, but I made it a bit harder for myself by getting the package near the taxi. Jumping the taxi out of that area sometimes works like a charm and sometimes it flips your car over, seems to be completely random. It's somewhere inbetween this time, but it worked so it's all good. I don't have much time to spare to get to Luigi's club in time, but I made it. A Stallion crashes into me on the way there and I was really afraid my Taxi would be too messed up, cause then Curly Bob won't get in. Luckily he did though, but I probably couldn't have taken another bump.

I finish by doing the last four taxi fares needed for a 100. Curly Bob has to be killed quickly otherwise he'll shoot his shotgun at my car and then passengers won't get in. Almost flipped the taxi too by a totally random bump. =/ I finished at the car showroom so I thought I might as well take the Banshee for the next segment.

Heh, I'm ranting again. Oh well, I promised to be detailed so there you go. Feedback and comments are always appreciated!

Quite a boring segment actually, not much to say, but believe it or not, this took the most tries so far. Pretty much everything is very random and unpredictable which makes it hard to practice consistently.

'Trial By Fire' is basically a rampage, but the flamethrower is tricky. You can burn yourself and when you flame a car, they'll speed off and sometimes run you over. It went pretty well here. The rampage right after that is so much easier in a car than on foot, but the Banshee can't take much so their shots can blow up my car. Whenever a Triad van spots me, I need to get out of there cause they'll destroy my car in no time. I would only accept if I managed to beat the train when jumping from the tracks (it always comes at the same time). I usually just make it before the train, but this time it's quite far away (you can see it coming in the distance), so that adds up to a pretty impressive start! Smiley

'Patriot Playground' isn't that hard if you know what to do, but there are some tricky parts. My route is nearly identical to Cannibal's, with one slight change. I don't really care how fast it is, as long as it's done. I don't like doing these off-road missions much.

I'm not very good at aiming, so using the AK is a pain in the ass for me. The rampage went pretty well though, I use a trick to avoid being shot to death and have them pile up under me at the same time for easy kills. Used my health pretty well, haha. More AK-ing in 'Triads And Triabulations'. My shooting wasn't great, but could have been worse, so I'm happy. I got very lucky running into that cop car. I have Vigilante planned after this and if I don't find one during this mission, I go for the ones at the police station (which is also why I take this route), but they're usually locked.

Vigilante itself was kind of poor. I got pretty unlucky with the spawn points of criminals. Finished it in about 9:40, I managed 8:30 once. Oh well. I also screw up in the end, going the wrong way cause I didn't realise I was done already, haha. Too busy being excited about finally finishing this segment succesfully.

New and improved! Segment 7:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5698771/14933140

The other one is still available as well in case anyone wants to compare. Apart from a few strategy revisions, the basic route is the same. I watched l2ebel's any% run again for some tricks that came in useful. The first part until the AK rampage is pretty much identical (in strategy as well as time), from there on there's much improvement. I do the rampage the same way as Cannibal now, I could never pull it off that way and I really don't know why now. Finished it almost 40 seconds faster. The shooting in 'Triads and Triabulations' is better too. I also use a different route that is a little bit faster.

Vigilante is where I improved most. I use a new strategy where I restart whenever I feel that the criminal is too far away. You'll see it works out quite nicely, although I must admit I was insanely lucky with spawn points this time. Finished it in 7:54, an improvement of 1:46, and the entire segment is 2:31 minutes faster. I hope you guys are happy, haha, I won't be doing it again. The only bad thing is the trip to the first Triad warlord (although the 360 spin looks pretty awesome, heh), and the fact that I had to listen to MSX through the entire 'Patriot Playground'. It gets on my nerves. =(

I managed to get this on my third try, which is ridiculously lucky because the end of it is entirely based on randomness and I've never been able to do this segment this fast in my test runs. The first 20 minutes or so is completely unimportant for the segment time, since the only thing that matters is the time I reach Staunton Island and accept 'Sayonara Salvatore'. I arrive there in the 2:00-3:00 period and I'm 99% sure it's impossible to get there in the 1:00-2:00 period. I also have to get there before 2:40 otherwise I won't have time to deliver the Blista and get the package in the subway. So as long as I managed that, any mistakes wouldn't matter at all.

None of the missions are random, so completion time will vary minimally. What decides if I'll make it are the rampages. I had about 2:20 to complete both of them, so 1:10 per rampage on average, otherwise I would be too late. The rampages aren't easy either, so it was quite challenging. Fortunately they both went really well this time.

Not much to say about the missions really. In 'Big 'N Veiny' I drive over the grass in the beginning because that bend is evil. During 'Maffia Massacre' I keep watching the Kuruma to make sure it's there, I need it for the next mission. I use l2ebel's old strategy for 'Bomb Da Base' simply because I couldn't pull off his new one. I don't think it really matters though. 8 ball starts running after the first shot and I think he runs at a constant rate after that.

The time of the segment is determined by the end bit. I'd allow myself one trip up and down that road to find a Diablo Stallion (for later), otherwise I'd restart. After that I need to find a cop to shoot because I need a cop car for the next segment. I got very lucky to find one just outside my hideout and have a police car actually follow me into the hideout area. That has never happened before in my test runs, so this is pretty much as good as it can get. It's kind of a shame I got it so quickly, haha, this segment was really fun to play.

Whoohoo, done with Portland. Smiley

Sorry for taking so long but this is by far the hardest segment of the entire run, including the ones still to come. This is because of several things, I'll try to keep it short but probably won't succeed, heh. Tongue

I start off with Bling Bling Scramble, the most random mission in the game. There are 3 completely random events that have to go right. First is the appearance of the Cheetah, if he is the last to show up I restart because that means he got stuck behind a trafficlight pole and it'll take him ages to figure out a way around it. Second is the route of the checkpoints. There are 2 routes, a fast one and a slow one. If I get the slow one, I restart. Both of these events have about a 50% chance of going right, so that's a 25% entirely luck dependent chance that the first minute of the segment succeeds. Nice. Smiley

I get 7 checkpoints, which is enough to win. After that I go and do sidestuff and let the others finish the mission. This is the third random thing. They can be very fast or very slow. If they're not fast enough, I restart. Fortunatly, this mission features the most retarted drivers ever to appear in a video game, so you can imagine that this isn't frustrating at all. All this, along with the unique jumps I do which are not at all easy, adds up to about a 3% chance of this first part going right. Good stuff. I love the finish here though.

I rigged the cop car with a bomb for a later mission, but it often disappears during the sniping part of 'Under Surveillance'. >_> I tried parking it at different locations but couldn't find a consistent spot, so there's another random thing.

The Yardie sniping rampage is pretty hard. I get the package in the car park first before actually starting the rampage because that area is Yakuza territory and when you pick up the icon, Yardies will start to appear while Yakuza are still walking around and that almost always leads to them fighting, making the rampage impossible. The intersection is also a good spot because I have 3 directions to look. If a cop shows up, I might as well restart because that makes it undoable, and on top of that, the rain doesn't help either. It went pretty well though, I'm happy with it.

Grand Theft Auto is not very hard, just have to pay attention. I would restart if I got any damage. I also thought of saving after this mission because of 'Paparazzi Purge' coming up, but that would mess up a time restricted part in the next segment (BF Injection).

The molotov rampage is very easy. I had a bit of trouble finding Yakuza's in the beginning but found plenty later on so this is very fast. I have to drive up to that part of road because no people spawn on the road next to the parking lot. The only thing I have to watch out for is burning myself, the molotovs have a very wide and invisible range.

'Paparazzi Purge' can screw you up, I'm being a little bit more careful than normal here. After that 'Payday for Ray' is easy as long as you're concentrated. 'Silence the Sneak' went very well too, even though lobbing the second grenade failed somewhat. It worked so whatever.

My 'A Ride in the Park' route might surprise you a bit at first but the bridge area is much easier from that side and this puts me right next to Ray's next mission. It makes the Landstalker vanish but I want that to happen anyway, it's a horrible car. I just jump out of the park and grab the first car I run into. I just missed the Stretch but didn't lose much time. A Banshee would have been better but the Rumpo is ok. The car I get here decides whether or not I jump over the hill into Phil's place or not. I find the Rumpo too unreliable for that so I take the longer route, only saves a few seconds anyway.

Finally, I take the bulletproof Barracks OL which will come in handy later, and 2 sets of Rocket Launcher ammo. Gonna need that too.

Sorry for ranting again!

*blows dust off thread*

Hello! Yes I'm still alive and going, be it somewhat slow. Sorry for the long wait again, but here's segment 10:

http://vimeo.com/10200353 SaveFrom.net

This part used to be pretty easy until I found out that the unique jump from the carpark CAN be done after 'Multistorey Mayhem'. The jump has to be extremely accurate though, and I couldn't find a 100% reliable method to pull it off. About 90% of the attempts ended there.

After that there's nothing much to comment on really. Most strategies should be familiar if you've seen CannibalK9's run. The BF Injection spawns from 18:00 till 00:00 so it wouldn't have made a difference if I got to that point any faster because I'd have to wait for it. That was the last time restricted thing though I think for the rest of the run.

Smackdown is hard in a way that the spawnpoints of the dealers are completely random, so I have to decide on a route during the mission, and the BF Injection is hard to control and not very durable.

I'll try to get the next segment out a bit sooner!

The two main factors in this part were 'Evidence Dash' and Vigilante, both of which went very well! My acceptance level for this segment was lower than normal because it's pretty hard and needs quite a bit of luck.

The replay I play at the start is a trick I got from l2ebel's run. It puts the Banshee in the games' memory which increases the chance of it spawning hugely. 'Evidence Dash' is done first because of the randomness. I would accept anything up to 8.30 on the game clock so this is really good I think.

Nothing too exciting until the Vigilante part after that. Everything is pretty much the same as in CannibalK9's run, accept I don't have to do that jump from the carpark anymore. I took a while to find a Cartel Cruiser but that was acceptable. The crash a bit further is ugly but didn't waste too much time.

Vigilante was simply marvelous. Again, I turn the mission off and on to manipulate my luck a bit with the spawning of criminals. I only accept calls in the lower area of the island, cause the upper part is hard to navigate and has Columbians. I got really really lucky in this attempt with the spawnpoints of the criminals. My average time for the mission is about 12-13 minutes and I managed it in 9 and a half here. By far my best attempt ever.

'Gone Fishing' went through a bit of testing. I found that this is the best way to do it if I want to deliver that FBI Car during the mission. You have to get in a police boat (any one) otherwise the guy won't appear so that's why I do that. I then grab the Mafia car from Salvatore's and take the tunnel back cause that route is actually faster, but the rain screwed me up on the grassy hill a bit. Oh well.

This is the shortest segment of the run (well, not counting the last one), but certainly not the easiest. It includes D-Ice's first 4 missions, all of which depend on a shitload of luck. So yeah, I consider myself lucky I even finished it.

'Uzi Money' is a pain in the ass. I drive up to my hideout because there's no Hoods vans driving there cause they'll attack you as soon as they see you shooting their gang. I would only accept if I made it out in the car I start in, which is damn hard to do and depends a lot on the spawning of the Nines. 'Toyminator' isn't really hard. Only the last van has a significant influence on the time, because it can be anywhere. I got quite lucky here, this was real fast.

'Rigged To Blow' killed a lot of good segments. You have to drive through the tunnel and back without hitting anything and with the random traffic it's almost impossible. This wasn't my best attempt ever but very acceptable. After this mission the car is locked so I have to run away from the car to leave it open whenever I get out. That explains why I'm a little bit slow when getting out some times. The traffic can mess up the unique jump but it went fine here. If it takes too much damage when landing I usually don't make it through the mission. 'Bullion Run' is tricky, because of the police and picking up all the stuff in one go. It makes your car very slow and fragile. Luckily the police didn't do much here.

After that it's basically what CannibalK9 did, minus the airport jumps that I already did in the previous segment. If you're wondering what happens with the Firefighter missions, I found out that it's much faster to constantly turn the mission on and off because that loads a new burning vehicle instantly so I don't have to wait for it to generate. The only downside of that is that I have to count the fires and that I can't really focus on my driving. I hope it doesn't show too much, haha.

Next segment features 'Bait', lots of car collecting, jumps and rampages. So yeah.. wish me luck. Tongue

13% in one 20 minute segment, haha. I was quite surprised myself! I'm guessing it has to do with me collecting all 16 cars for the Shoreside Vale garage in one go. Really nearing the end now!

Some segment comments:

This whole segment is revolved around the car collecting. I do it during 'Bait' because the place I need to go to is close to the garage and it just makes sense cause I have the BF Injection now. The time when I need to be done collecting is determined by the weather in the next segment. That features 'Gripped' and I can't do that during rain, so I had to play ahead a bit and calculate when I had to be done. Turned out I needed to be done collecting at 12:30 in game time, as well as having done all other stuff. That was quite a challenge and requires a lot of luck.

Most cars spawn on the road just outside the garage and the ones that don't appear on the crossroad behind it. I keep collecting until I find a Banshee and then continue with the mission. 'Bait' itself is tricky because you can't really depend on the Yakuza's to do their job properly. I lead them to the shotgun guys but I think the first one got killed right away, haha. Oh well, it worked out. I help them with the last car because most of the time they can't handle it on their own.

The jumps I do are a pain in the ass. Especially the second one has caused a lot of attempts to fail because of the small landing zone. The sniper rampage is a bit glitchy. You can clearly see I hit them by the blood coming off, but the shots sometimes just don't register. Still a very good time though. I was lucky to keep my Banshee all the way through all that too.

I get the armor because I'm about to get slaughtered during the flamethrower rampage. Well usually I do, but I took a surprisingly small amount of hits this time. I usually don't make it out alive, so that was really good. I'm a bit shaky at this point, I hope it doesn't show too much in the M16 rampage, haha.

Critics and comments always welcome!

I'm sorry it took so long, I didn't have any time to play and this segment wasn't really fun to do, haha. I only do a couple of things and none of them are really hard but there's quite a bit of luck involved.

For 'Rumble', you don't need to pick up the guy. As soon as you trigger his talk you can turn around and head for the fight. I have to pick up the armor anyway though, so I might as well take him. I couldn't really figure out a good strategy to fight the Nines. I tried to 'cheat' the game a bit with a couple of tricks like blowing up my car next to them etc, but anything that kills them apart from your bat fails the mission, so I just do it the normal way.

'Gripped' isn't too hard, although the dark makes it a little more difficult. I think this is the best route, I experimented with different ones quite a bit. My target time to finish is 3:10 on the game clock so this was good! Note that I'm about a minute faster than CannibalK9. MSX.. Sad Then I do some more Vigilanting, which went very very well! I got really lucky with the spawnlocations of the criminals (I only accept the Pike Creek and Airport ones), and again this is my best time ever for this part of town.

The car almost always disappears when I go to get the rampage icon, so I expected that. I get the armor because I will need it in a bit when I go on a rampage to get a tank. I really like my strategy here. The little walls provide great cover while I keep lobbing grenades over it. At six stars I switch to the flamethrower because the flames go through everything and kill the soldiers when they exit the tank. Then I just use the tank for the Shotgun rampage on my way to the hideout, which makes it a piece of cake.

Nothing else to say about this I guess.. just two more segments to go! Next one should be fun. Smiley

Hello! I don't think I've ever had this long a break between segments but whatever, segment 16 is here!

Part 1:
Part 2:

I apologise for the low framerate at some points but there's a lot going on in this segment (heavy rain, police chases) that I think causes this so there isn't anything I can do about it.

Comments:

There are a bunch of little imperfections in 'Espresso 2 Go' that cost about 10 seconds in total but I continue anyway cause there's a bridge lowering at 7:00 and it would be no use being there any earlier so no time is lost. I saved the package at the harbor all the way until now because I needed to have something to do while the tank is being loaded onto the ship. I then go for a quick check up to avoid the glitch that CannibalK9 ran into. You can see my money go up and the icons appear when I get there.

'Decoy' is very rough (usually they're much less aggressive) but it doesn't matter cause it's on a timer and I get everything done that I have planned. The mission gives you 15 free seconds to do whatever you want when you exit the van so I had a nice route planned out with a whole bunch of stuff but that didn't work out since the helicopter will destroy the Securicar fast if you don't have a place to hide it under. So now I only get that one package that is really out of the way and some armor for later.

My strategy for 'Kingdom Come' is the fastest I could find. I can only use rockets for the first two vans because for the last two the bombers will be too far away from the van to be killed in the explosion and I can't kill them from close up with the rocket launcher so I use my M16. That Stinger is locked sometimes, which is a really lame way to fail the segment but it has happened. It takes too long to take the Esperanto and find a sportscar on the street instead, so I would only accept if the Stinger was unlocked. I got a cool orange one too.

The flamethrower rampage was kinda slow, usually they're more grouped together. It's ok though, and the two Yardie rampages went really well. I had to find a way to do them without the Yardies being able to reach me because they already hate me at this point so they'll come running for me and I can't kill them from close up with these weapons. Works very well this way though.

97%.. almost done!

1 day later:
Right, forget about this one. I thought of a better route for Espresso 2 Go and after some testing it seems to work, so I'm going to redo this segment. It'll be the same for the most part, just the one adjustment for Espresso 2 Go that will save some time.

17 and last
not done yet
Edit history:
Patrick: 2011-09-01 05:19:52 pm
Patrick: 2011-09-01 05:19:11 pm
Quote:
taken from segment comments
After Paramedic I do some taxi fares because I need to save the game around 21:30 for the next segment to start at the right time.

You finished Paramedic at 15.30, so you had had to save around half a minute and save twice to avoid using the taxi instead of the Banshee for the taxi mission.
How much time could you have saved by attempting twice as long as you did?
And how much further time have you lost by using the taxi instead of the Banshee?
And do you care much about the time you lost by not spending very much time luck manipulating or do you only care about time saved over Cannibal by "skill" and planning?

I watched the Paramedics mission at 3x speed in VLC and encourage others to do so, too. I found that part pretty interesting.

Greetings.
I didn't want to save the game just to advance time cause I found it cheap. I only decided on using the Banshee for the Taxi mission later on though so the idea never even entered my mind.

And I'm not sure what you mean by time lost by not luck manipulating. I luck manipulate everything I can't plan as much as I can (seg 9 took me about 2000 attempts to get the first mission right), but I try to avoid it whenever possible by planning in stuff I'm certain of (parked cars etc.), so you might see less lucky moments in my run compared to Cannibal's simply because of more efficient planning.

Btw, I'll be attempting seg 16 again (haven't played since my last post) so maybe there's an update soon.
Thanks for answering, :-)
Ok, I am used to not understanding your preferences. :-) Normally, others do not understand my convictions, that's interesting. :-D As I wrote, i had only watched one segment.

The positions of the patients, criminals and fares are random and since there are a lot of them you can indeed save a minute or two by completing those missions 100 times or so (->few thousand attempts).

But 2,000 attempts for segment 9 sound awesome, too. I am going to watch it in around seven weeks.
Ok guys, update. So I've been testing with the new strategy I came up with and as it turns out it's not usefull. The new strategy is faster and as a result the segment will be shorter, but there's no point because in the next segment I have to use the lift bridge to get the package high up in the air. In the current situation I will reach the bridge with perfect timing during 'S.A.M' for me to have enough time to get the package, but if I complete the segment faster, I will be held up by the bridge's previous lift. There's about a minute between every lift and I found that I would have to be extremely lucky with everything to make it, might even be impossible. In fact, I wouldn't even be able to get the package in the next segment because the hold up at the bridge would take too much time and I wouldn't make it to the airport in time.

Long story short: I can use the segment 16 I already recorded. Smiley

I will try to complete the last segment soon. In the mean time, I made a blooper reel from all the mess ups, glitches and just general fun stuff I saved from my test runs and actual run attempts. Hopefully that will keep you guys busy for now. Wink Enjoy!

Everybody DANCE!
The stunt starting at around 5:45 had me cracking up.  That was awesome.
I'm the guy who complains yet never submits XD
awesome run and hilarious outtakes. glad to see it's finally nearly finished will there be an audio commentary?
Nah audio commentary won't be practical because there's a lot of times where there isn't really anything to say, plus English isn't my first language and I have a horrible voice. I'll be adding some subtitle comments to explain some details that might not be entirely clear though. I still have to do that for all segments  btw.

Anyway, I finished the run so I'll be submitting it soon I guess. I'll upload the last segment to Youtube today or maybe tomorrow if I don't have time today. Does anyone know, do I have to finish the subtitle comments before the verification process or can I make them while verification is going on?
Iha paska
Haha, that all looks too familiar.
"Doing too well? Well screw you buddy! Here is an invisible wall!", Convenient moonjumps to the water and cars spontaneously exploding nearby when you are doing well on an mission. Not to mention getting knocked down by a car in a mission just to rise up to 5 cartel guys aiming on you at the same time.
Oh how much I love and hate this game Smiley
And 5:45 was awesome, didn't know they could follow you!

Great work! Been following your run since you started it and can't wait to see the final product with comments after running it for such a long time.
Haha yeah I was laughing real hard when that stunt with the FBI cars happened. Tongue Lots of awesomeness indeed!

Anyway, all done now! Segment 17:

Just the last two missions and all loose ends tied up. Basically the same as CannibalK9's last segment, except my strategy for 'The Exchange' is a little bit different. This way is slightly faster and the climax is more fun I think. Smiley Also note how Maria calls into Chatterbox while Catalina is holding her hostage, haha.

Well that's it! I hope you all enjoyed the show. I'm gonna take a look at the submission guidelines on how to get this thing published I guess. Tongue Thanks for the support everyone!
Edit history:
ridd3r.: 2011-10-06 03:09:33 pm
we have lift off
At 2:09, why wait until the bridge is at the top before getting out of the car and jumping on the centre? You could jump there as it's rising, pick up the package as soon as you're the right height and be off - saving 5s or so?
Great job on the run!  The outtakes were also a nice bonus. 

Let's hope it won't take too long to get verified and published.
Quote from ridd3r.:
At 2:09, why wait until the bridge is at the top before getting out of the car and jumping on the centre? You could jump there as it's rising, pick up the package as soon as you're the right height and be off - saving 5s or so?

I remember trying this when I used to play the game casually and it usually resulted in the car I was in falling through the bridge as it was rising.
For some reason it's impossible to get out of a car on the bridge when it's in 'lifting mode', you can try for yourself. I could have probably made it if I hadn't bumped into the light post, but I have to wait for the plane at the airport anyway so it doesn't matter.
Quote from Silmaranza:
I will try to complete the last segment soon. In the mean time, I made a blooper reel from all the mess ups, glitches and just general fun stuff I saved from my test runs and actual run attempts. Hopefully that will keep you guys busy for now. Wink Enjoy!

JUST AWESOME
rofling at few moments