Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Silmaranza: 2011-10-12 08:49:41 am
Silmaranza: 2011-07-01 04:15:28 pm
Silmaranza: 2011-07-01 01:59:43 am
Silmaranza: 2011-06-30 06:50:01 am
Silmaranza: 2011-06-30 03:27:45 am
Hey guys,

I'm planning on beating CannibalK9's GTA III 100% run. Ever since I watched his run I've been wanting to give it a shot but I never really got around doing it until now. I find GTA 100% Speedruns great fun because the openness of the game allows for many interesting strategies in planning and optimizing these to the max! I've already planned the entire run and done a test run to optimize it as much as I thought possible. I started running last week and got 2 segments done so far. It'll probably take a while to finish though. I've quite a bit of uni stuff to do which obviously comes first and the fact that I'm a perfectionist and restart for the tiniest mistakes doesn't help speeding the process up. Wink

Anyway, just wondering if SDA would be interested in this? I'm gonna do the run either way cause it's just fun for me to do, but it would be cool if you guys are interested as well. It would also motivate me a bit more knowing that I'm not just doing it for myself. Tongue I've got an entirely different planning than Cannibal so it would probably be worth watching and comparing both runs. A disadvantage of this for myself though is that I'll have no idea whether or not I'm on my way to beat his time since I have nothing to compare with because the planning is so different. Ah well.

Segment 1 is actually almost identical to Cannibal's first segment (we even finish Paramedic at nearly the exact same time!) so I won't bother uploading that for now but I can upload Segment 2 if you'd like.

-------------------------

Progress:

[Segment 01 Part 1/3]
[Segment 01 Part 2/3]
[Segment 01 Part 3/3]

[Segment 02 Part 1/2]
[Segment 02 Part 2/2]

[Segment 03 Part 1/2]
[Segment 03 Part 2/2]

[Segment 04 Part 1/2]
[Segment 04 Part 2/2]

[Segment 05 Part 1/2]
[Segment 05 Part 2/2]

[Segment 06 Part 1/3]
[Segment 06 Part 2/3]
[Segment 06 Part 3/3]

[Segment 07 Part 1/2]
[Segment 07 Part 2/2]

[Segment 08 Part 1/2]
[Segment 08 Part 2/2]

[Segment 09 Part 1/3]
[Segment 09 Part 2/3]
[Segment 09 Part 3/3]

[Segment 10 Part 1/2]
[Segment 10 Part 2/2]

[Segment 11 Part 1/3]
[Segment 11 Part 2/3]
[Segment 11 Part 3/3]

[Segment 12 Part 1/2]
[Segment 12 Part 2/2]

[Segment 13 Part 1/2]
[Segment 13 Part 2/2]

[Segment 14 Part 1/2]
[Segment 14 Part 2/2]

[Segment 15 Part 1/2]
[Segment 15 Part 2/2]

[Segment 16 Part 1/2]
[Segment 16 Part 2/2]

[Segment 17]

[Blooper Reel]
Thread title:  
Heavy Metal Powered
i found CannibalK9's run pretty much flawless, this will get interesting defenetly

so atleast about one 6544th of SDA is interested Tongue
The Anomaly
Would love to see it. Runs of gta games are some of the most entertaining runs there are, imo. As long as they're good ofc. Wink
Would like to see this a lot
Alright, here's Segment 2:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4759138/12708814

Some comments:

Joey's first mission can be done only after 5:00 and Marty's missions after 9:00 so planning it like this made sense. Anything that could be seen as a mistake or holdup before 'The Crook' isn't really important as long as I make it to the phone before 9:00, which I do. But there isn't any mistakes really. Got lucky with the bump that didn't register in 'Mike Lips Last Lunch' though. The jump with the taxi is not easy but after doing it a hundred times you get the hang of it.

The Shotgun rampage provides me with a Colt and a bunch of ammo which will come in handy later. That rampage can be difficult though, sometimes the Triads just don't spawn. But it went pretty well this time. I accidentally run over a cop in 'The Thieves' and get a two star wanted level, but it didn't cost me any time since I managed to dodge the cops on my way to the Pay N Spray. After that I go through the police bribe alley to break off the driver's door since Marty's car will lock after the mission and I want to continue using it.

I do the Uzi rampage in a car since it's easier and there's no reloading. It also gives me the chance to drive over to Luigi for his next mission while killing Triads on the way. Smiley
Edit history:
ridd3r.: 2009-03-29 05:26:29 am
we have lift off
I'd be interesting in watching this, gta 3 was such a great game. Whats your target time?

EDIT: Watching your 2nd segment, whats with all the firetruck missions getting done every few seconds? Is that some sort of glitch I don't know about? Highly likely as I have no speedrunning knowledge of this game, I just completed it 100% like everyone else that could be bothered Tongue

EDIT2: Segment 2 looked very nice, however as a run like this will vary in time massively from the route you take I find it almost impossible to judge what the best order to do things in is, all I can say is its cool watching you do such a variety of things, getting all the items/missions done when you are in a particular area.
Yeah it's a glitch in the PC version of the game where turning the replay on and off completes the firefighter missions for some reason. Pretty convinient, hehe.

I don't have a target time, really. The game is too big to make an accurate estimate. But beating Cannibal's time would be good enough for me I guess.
The Anomaly
Segment 2 looked great. I'm hoping you'll finish this. Wink
Aye, this looks awesome so far.

A handful of thoughts:
* Is it possible to get the 10th hidden package by jumpiung over the wall from a vehicle instead of going all the way round the building?
* Is the RC Car capable of doing any unique jumps?
* If you have the patience, you might want to test the replay glitch on all the missions in the game to see if it can break any of them too.

But yeah, I'm seriously impressed. To keep up that standard of play through a 21 minute segment is insane.
Thanks for the comments. Smiley

The replay glitch has been tested on all side missions and it only works on the Firefighter mission. If you're talking about storyline missions, I highly doubt the replay will be of any use in those.

The RC Car is the slowest vehicle in the game. Tongue So no, no way it can do any of the unique jumps. I like your creative thinking though. Wink

Haven't tried jumping over the wall to the package with a car but it doesn't seem like it's possible. If it is, I'd probably only make it with a Yankee and I'd have to be incredibly lucky to find one on my way to my hideout from the Head Radio building. I want to eliminate randomness as much as possible so I try to go for parked cars whenever I can and not depend on what traffic brings me.

Any more suggestions for future segments are always welcome!
May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce!
Unless you find a significant amount of time you can gain from bugs CannibalK9 didn't know about at the time, its gonna be very difficult to top his uber-optimized run.

I always love to see new GTA runs, though, so I am looking forward to seeing how you do.
Currently occupying the grey area.
Just one thing with segment 2. I saw you drive from Marty chonks to tony's going in front of the hospital. I'm pretty sure that going across the field to the back of the hospital is a quicker route.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Very nice segment.
Good job blocking Mr. Chonk's entrance, some solid seconds saved here.
The rampage where you chose to drive-by instead of staying at the same spot is interesting, not sure how much time (if any) that saves?
I like your route to most of the packages a lot so far.

Looking forward to the rest of the run!
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Btw when you do complete your run, I'd love it if you could add an audio commentary on a second audio track (see CannibalK9's GTA:VC & GTA:SA any% runs) if you feel comfortable with it; it reall adds a lot to a run imo. There's a lot that can be learned from an audio commentary that points out all the little tricks used to save those extra seconds, and that allows to really appreciate the work & skill of the speedrunner.
Quote from OnyxShadow:
Unless you find a significant amount of time you can gain from bugs CannibalK9 didn't know about at the time, its gonna be very difficult to top his uber-optimized run.

Cannibal's run really isn't that uber-optimized though. There's a lot of unnecessary traveling just to get somewhere and I'm trying to reduce that as much as possible. Ideally, the run should be like a huge chain through the entire game. I pretty much figured out the chain with the least holes in it, or so I like to think, heh. Cannibal also has a couple segments dedicated to sidestuff, I have none. So if all goes right, I should beat his time.

Quote from nejikun002:
Just one thing with segment 2. I saw you drive from Marty chonks to tony's going in front of the hospital. I'm pretty sure that going across the field to the back of the hospital is a quicker route.

True, I missed that. It really doesn't save that much time though, and going over the road is safer. The grassy bumps can flip your car over easily.

Quote from MilZo:
Very nice segment.
Good job blocking Mr. Chonk's entrance, some solid seconds saved here.
The rampage where you chose to drive-by instead of staying at the same spot is interesting, not sure how much time (if any) that saves?

Well for me it does quite a bit. Firstly because I'm not that great at aiming and drive-by's are easy and faster kills. Secondly it gives me the opportunity to drive to Luigi during the rampage instead of after it. Also, you can't get hit in a car so no health is lost. The only thing that can be annoying is the Triad vans coming after you and most likely destroying your car. But they didn't do much this time.

I don't plan on adding audio commentary to the run. English isn't my first language so my vocabulary is somewhat limited. I'm much better in expressing myself in writing so I'll just try to make the comments as detailed as possible and point out all tricks I think are interesting to mention.
we have lift off
You definitely seem to have a lot of knowledge of the game, especially from a planning perspective so I am sure you can do this.

Quote:
Cannibal also has a couple segments dedicated to sidestuff, I have none. So if all goes right, I should beat his time.

I don't get how dedicating some segments to side missions is a bad thing. For example the taxi missions, how can you save time by not dedicating a segment to this? Aside from making it more interesting what are you going to try and do, do a few missions and get packages at the same time or wait until you get a fare that dumps you at the next mission or something?
Quote from ridd3r.:
You definitely seem to have a lot of knowledge of the game, especially from a planning perspective so I am sure you can do this.

Quote:
Cannibal also has a couple segments dedicated to sidestuff, I have none. So if all goes right, I should beat his time.

I don't get how dedicating some segments to side missions is a bad thing. For example the taxi missions, how can you save time by not dedicating a segment to this? Aside from making it more interesting what are you going to try and do, do a few missions and get packages at the same time or wait until you get a fare that dumps you at the next mission or something?

Presumably, yes. With some (well, a lot of) luck manipulation, taxi missions could basically be a way to eliminate travel time to missions/jumps/packages/rampages. In fact, thinking about it, Silmaranza, shouldn't you have luck-manipulated at the start of segment 2 to get a fare who wanted to go to Luigi's and scratch one fare off in one go? It's a small saving, sure, but unless I'm missing something (long time since I played this game) you should probably do taxi missions at the start of any segment where you have a taxi (and possibly work them in elsewhere when you happen to be driving one). Surely you're going to need a segment right before leaving Portland dedicated entirely or mostly to finishing off the taxi missions though? And wouldn't it be better to do it sooner rather than later, since it provides the prospect of luckily ending a fare next to a mission, package or rampage and saving you a few of seconds later on? Also, wouldn't it be best to get the taxi missions over with before pissing off the triads?
I've thought about all those things as well, ExplodingCabbage. Wink

Actually, I've considered quite a few options with the Taxi mission and came to the conclusion that it's probably best to do them all in one segment. If I use taxi fares to fill up traveling (something I had planned originally), I probably lose more time looking for a taxi every time than I win by eliminating the (rarely long) travel time. Since it's such a random variable, I'd rather not have my planning depend on it too much.

The only travel time that could be considered (too) long is driving to Toni's or Salvatore's for their next mission after finishing the previous one. I have done most sidestuff by this time so there's nothing to fill the gap. Taxi fares won't be very useful here though cause there's no dropoff location that's really close to either of them. Marco's Bistro is probably the closest but I don't find it worth it really. Those missions are also in a long and hard segment so I prefer not screwing that up for the lame reason of not being able to find a taxi.

I only have a Taxi at the start of Segment 2 because I ended Segment 1 doing a bunch of fares. After the Paramedic mission I need to do Taxi missions until around 21:30 on the game clock. This will put the clock at 3:30 after saving (as you'll notice in the beginning of the segment, the clock is at 3:50), which is exactly the time I need to start with because that will put me at Joey's around 5:00. So because of this tight schedule I can't start the segment with any taxi fares.

I have currently planned doing the Taxi mission after 'Cutting The Grass' which leaves you with a taxi so after the mission I will just start Taxi fares immediatly until I get a fare that needs to go to Woody's bar or Meeouch Sex Club. This puts me close to my hideout so I can go for a quick save and then finish the remaining Taxi fares in the next segment.

The only problem is that the Triads will hate me at this time in the game so that makes things slightly more difficult. They only have pistols though so it's not too bad. As long as I do them before the Mafia hates you, I'll be fine I think. I've also considered doing them on Staunton Island instead because of this but the distance between locations is much larger and I figured I have the same problem with the Cartel who have Uzi's so I might as well do them on Portland anyway.
Edit history:
CannibalK9: 2009-03-31 12:15:50 pm
give me your eyes!!!
An entire page sprang out of nowhere, I'm really excited about this! It's one of those runs whereby I think I know the game quite well so would like to see the runner put a lot of thought into it and thankfully that seems to be the case. It's diminished slightly by the fact that I've done so already :P, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together from someone else's perspective, a bit like hearing another persons interpretation of a novel.

It's true that it isn't hugely optimised, at least not nearly as well as Vice City, I had even less point of reference so many areas were worked out on the fly. I even used the paramedic mission as general practice since I hadn't played in several years and slowly improved over the course of the run. My main focus was on avoiding travelling between objectives, but if you think it's excessive then that's the improvement I most want to see.

My taxi mission in particular wasn't great, a lot of exploding and I had no idea how to control the banshee at the end. Will you also be picking up import/export vehicles amidst the people-ferrying?

There are several places, usually discreet missions, where I restarted a hundred times or so in the name of luck. I hope they don't cause as much trouble, or if they do that you overcome it!

Edit: I've seen your segment 2, fantastic stuff, you keep the pacing so consistently, and using the taxi to get that first package...! This is in very safe hands, I have a slight urge to watch through my run and plan everything based on being able to see how each side mission can play out... but I don't have time so I'll make do with watching it with popcorn and a reclining chair and six concubines alternately giving me foot massages (the world of speedrunning is truly glamorous).
Hey Cannibal, good to see that you're around to see my run! Smiley

Avoiding traveling between objectives is my main focus as well, I have tried to optimize things as much as possible (looking for things that start where a mission ends etc..) I've already planned the entire run and did a test run to avoid any unpleasant surprises in later segments. For example, I planned on bringing the guy's Rumpo in Big N Veiny to the import/export garage nearby but it turned out it can't be done during that mission so I had to change my plan there. Things like that. But I'm actually already changing things around in segment 3 which I'm currently working on, haha.

I plan on delivering all rare vehicles for the garage during Taxi Driver. I already come by them all the time now but it's hard to snap out of a rythem when you're so concentrated on your planning, so I rather not distract myself by doing them in other segments. For me, the rare ones such as Trashmaster, Bus, Flatbed, Securicar etc. usually turn up relatively often on the main street in Chinatown down the Old School Hall and Punk Noodles. I don't use Van Heist to get a Securicar btw. I think I have a good enough chance to come by one later so I'm taking the risk. Wink

The segment I'm doing now is a bitch. I start off with that unique jump in the middle of the bridge which is awful and causes a lot of restarts. That's why I've planned it at the beginning of a segment. I've done this with all things that are fairly difficult or require a good amount of luck to reduce the amount of wasted work. Most missions aren't actually that difficult though, if you have a good strategy (thanks for some of them btw!), but I'm sure you already know that. Just the ones like 'Gripped' or 'Evidence Dash' that are just a pain in the ass because of the luck factor.

Btw, now that you're here, I might as well ask you for some strategy advice. Tongue In my test run, I had major trouble killing Kenji with the Bazooka. I watched your video and |2ebel's and tried to copy it but I just can't figure out how to do it. I fire like 6 rockets at Kenji but he just stands there like an invincible Terminator. Is there an exact place where I have to shoot?

Oh btw, riddd3r, in response to your earlier question, with sidestuff I was talking about things like packages, jumps and rampages, not the Taxi missions, Vigilante etc.. just so that's cleared up. Smiley
give me your eyes!!!
A test run would have been an excellent idea. At the time I guess I felt I had to make some significant headway after stealing the idea from Pweisger, and there were many people clamouring for some progress. I'm two years older and wiser...

I'm sure you know that you'll be changing the route constantly throughout, I almost painted myself into a corner a few times so I hope the same situations don't befall you.

Hmm, those vehicles felt extremely lucky but the rare times I saw them was on that road... at least it's close to the garage, but I'm glad I'm not the one relying on it. If you do see them during other missions and it instinctively feels like it'd save a lot of time then go for it, otherwise it isn't worth the heightened chance of screwing up. I'm sure your instincts are pretty good, it's one of the best things to have when running gta.

Right, I'm downloading that part, I hope I don't regret watching my own run again Tongue
Oh nevermind, my Liberator was immodestly fairly awesome  Grin  Anyway, Kenji takes a lot to kill with just rockets. The first one has to launch him to the side and the second one has to destroy the limo he ends up next to. I'm not sure whether you have to wait for him to stand up or not... If you think you can handle the luck you could get a tough car and just run him down, ending in a great position to do the jump (in a whirling mass of flame). Hope that helps, it's surprisingly easy to imagine the roof from underneath and you should get it 80% of the time or so!
we have lift off
Quote:
Hmm, those vehicles felt extremely lucky but the rare times I saw them was on that road...

I'm sure the trick to getting rare cars is knowing which type of car to drive around. Cars of similar types tend to spawn them. For example in you SS vice city run, when you needed the Esperanto, I was like get an Idaho!! You even said that car looks like an Esperanto and it was actually an Idaho you got that spawned it in the end. So basically I'm sure its not all just blind luck with the rarer cars. Now that you mention that road as well, I'm sure thats where the rarer cars turned up for me, like the mr whoopee and trashmaster.
Expert Donkey Fister
howdy, got some suggestions

i use a trick in my new run to force the game to spawn an infernus where i want it. the game is much more likely to spawn a model when its already loaded in its memory, you can force the game to load a specific car by saving a replay of you driving that car (whilst not doing the segment obviously) and then while recording the segment loading that replay just for 1 sec (hit f3 twice).

i dont think the spot in which you drive your car for the replay really matters but of course you need to look for the rare car in places where it is allowed to spawn by data, it merely suggests a model for the game to spawn but it works very well.

of course youre limited to 1 replay per segment, unless youve already used your "replay joker" in a segment and you drive past another rare car which you cant get in that moment cause youre on a mission or whatever, then you could save the moment when you drive past it and try to load it at a later time in the same segment and hope it spawns again.

sorry cannibal, didnt think of this until you had already finished your vc ss /me hides

iirc the taxi missions ccan be done in any car, not sure about the vigilante and ambulance ones. i think it went something like hold sub mission button while in taxi, exit, get into fast car and then release sub mission button.
if that doesnt work you may find something on google..

seg2:

during mike lips' last lunch you could have jumped down to 8ball instead of driving around the block to save something like 10 secs.

when trying to make peds spawn behind your back, give them 1 sec more, i think you turn around too quickly which hinders them from spawning, btw has anyone ever tried to switch to top down camera and back while doing rampages to test if it works better to generate peds?

keep it up it looks promising, cant really comment on routes that much cause i only did any%
Edit history:
Silmaranza: 2009-08-09 02:40:30 pm
Hey l2ebel. Smiley

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think the replay one will be very useful since the whole point of an optimized run is eliminating travel time as much as possible so I rarely need a fast car for long distance traveling. It would be faster to just grab a mediocre car right away for the short distance.

It might be useful for finding rare cars but then again I'm gonna be in driving through Portland for a good hour straight during Taxi missions so I doubt I won't be getting by them. So yeah, it's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's worth it. Would be of much more use in a Vice City run around the Sunshine Auto's place.

Speaking of Taxi missions, yes you can do them in any car but in my opinion the only car superior to the Taxi on Portland is the Banshee (and the Police but that's not an option) and Taxi's are way more durable than Banshees so the speed doesn't outweigh the durability and the extra time it takes to do the glitch in the first place. I've thought about it though, but decided I'm not going to use it.

I'm curious how you manage to jump down to 8-ball during 'Mike Lips Last Lunch' without damaging the Idaho. Tongue It can only take a few bumps, otherwise you have to spray it and I really don't see how you can jump down and keep the car undamaged. Also, it's raining when I'm doing the mission and the car is a bitch to control in the first place, so I'd rather stay off the grass. Besides, it really wouldn't save me any time because I'd have to wait for the clock to reach 9:00 to be able to start Marty's mission so that would even it out.

The top down view idea for rampages is interesting, I'm gonna give that a try. Thanks! Smiley
Expert Donkey Fister
i mainly thought about using the replay trick for import export because personally i would probably do the taxi missions in a banshee in 1 seg (rely on good driving) and force IE cars to spawn in other segments when i want them to, i dont know which is faster and most likely we will never know anyway.

jumping down to 8balls requires a certain speed, too slow and the front bumper damages cause youre landing too steep, too fast and you just crash into 8balls wall cause you cant brake in time, and you need to land in the right spot.
ive never tried it during rain but i could imagine that it doesnt even work cause youll always slide into the wall after landing.
and yeah.. i forgot about waiting for the phone so it really doesnt matter

for killing kenji i look at his radar blip for the second shot to see where i need to aim, works every time