Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213141516 -> <- 1 .. 4 .. 16 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Professional Second Banana
An idea I've pitched several times is recording a 60-second or so commercial for the marathon that would explain what SDA and the charity are about, which we would play in between games every so often instead of TwitchTV commercials.
SEGA Junkie
Honestly the best thing we can do in terms of speaking about the charity is do what we did last AGDQ and have a "cheat sheet" on the desk where the main commentator sits, which will have a standardised couple of lines about the charity on it.
Personally, I was planning on doing independent research on cancer prevention and the work currently being undertaken by the foundation beforehand, and dropping some factoids about cancer and cancer prevention every now and then during the time I spend reading comments.

Considering the purpose of the marathon is to prevent cancer, I think it would be wise to actually provide viewers with some cancer prevention tips. Periodically perform breast/testicular examinations, see a doctor for colon cancer examinations as you get older, etc.
Make it so.
Butters, with regards to donation comments you define above and beyond the call of duty. You hero.
Fucking Weeaboo
As long as you have everything down on paper for everybody to read and not muddle up, good idea, Butters.
<(^_^)>
Just posting to show my approval. Great idea butters Smiley
Exoray
Quote from ButtersBB:
Considering the purpose of the marathon is to prevent cancer, I think it would be wise to actually provide viewers with some cancer prevention tips. Periodically perform breast/testicular examinations, see a doctor for colon cancer examinations as you get older, etc.

uhm, all of these consists of finding out if you already have cancer. This is not the kind of prevention that PCF works with.
Since we are neither representatives of PCF nor very knowledgable about the depths of the research they are performing, I think we should refrain from trying to talk about things like this.

We should go with mentioning basic facts about the charity and for the rest of it, stick with talking about the things we know best: speed running. That way there's less risk of saying something that would be completely wrong or something that might damage PCF in any way.

Anyways, this is the games topic. Back to games!
Quote from moooh:
Quote from ButtersBB:

uhm, all of these consists of finding out if you already have cancer. This is not the kind of prevention that PCF works with.
Since we are neither representatives of PCF nor very knowledgable about the depths of the research they are performing, I think we should refrain from trying to talk about things like this.

We should go with mentioning basic facts about the charity and for the rest of it, stick with talking about the things we know best: speed running. That way there's less risk of saying something that would be completely wrong or something that might damage PCF in any way.

Anyways, this is the games topic. Back to games!

Actually, screening is a very basic part of preventative health. It is most CERTAINLY the kind of prevention that PCF works with (keep in mind that they are concerned with education and outreach, not just research).

Heck, just go to their website and check their bullets for reducing cancer risks: Eat Healthy, Be Active, Don't Smoke, Get Screened.

You are correct, though, that this is the games topic, so I will stop here. I'll continue this is in the suggestions topic.
All the things
Quote from ButtersBB:
Personally, I was planning on doing independent research on cancer prevention and the work currently being undertaken by the foundation beforehand, and dropping some factoids about cancer and cancer prevention every now and then during the time I spend reading comments.

When I first started reading this, I thought you were suggesting setting up a garage laboratory and getting a flash MD so you could help with the PCF's research efforts.

What you actually said is a great idea though, good thinking Wink
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2012-07-14 09:55:49 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Moooh and Poxnor: Those are great posts. I hope everyone reads those posts because they're full of great points.

Paraxade: We did the Fallout 3 run just when New Vegas came out, which isn't quite the same game, but still fairly similar and Fallout 3 still got a meh reaction. I think Skyrim either needs a great prize, or be considered as a bonus game for it to have a chance in the marathon.

Also, it will need very very good commentary that is either very informative or very funny.

In other words, no, I'm not sold on Skyrim. I'm aware it's very popular (it sold 7 million+ copies or so AFAIK) and recent, but that's not exactly selling me on whether it would be a good marathon watch.

dballlin: Two things.

1. Why do you think using a posting strategy from a guy who got banned is a good strategy?

2. I'm not mad at you, more disappointed. I know you're a cool guy in person, but it looks like you're just trying to make it look like every marathon was a disaster.

PCF blurb: One of the big things PCF mentions is that one of their research grants helped fund early detection of lung cancer through spiral CT scans. However, as has been mentioned, this is not the thread for mentioning such things. When I meet up with PCF (likely later this month) I will ask them about how they want to be presented on stream.
Edit history:
Trekhaak: 2012-07-15 03:49:59 am
Everybody's favorite monster
Dballin for president <3. If i am able to come i wont be doing banjo-kazooie. sorry.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
I thought dballin's point was something about how having multiple games from the same series doesn't equal multiple donations.  On the other hand I donated multiple times for final fantasy games, but mostly to troll poxnor with 80's song requests, rather than for any charitable reason.  I don't know if that counts one way or the other.

Anyway, very happy to see Arkham City made the cut - I promise to make sure it deserves its place, I've already got a few ideas for donation incentives (gameplay, not prizes - I'm not much of an artist) but I'll save that for when the thread comes up.
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Quote from RoboSparkle:
On the other hand I donated multiple times for final fantasy games, but mostly to troll poxnor with 80's song requests, rather than for any charitable reason.

Love you too Smiley
Edit history:
Lee: 2012-07-15 07:34:03 pm
Quote from mikwuyma:
Paraxade: We did the Fallout 3 run just when New Vegas came out, which isn't quite the same game, but still fairly similar and Fallout 3 still got a meh reaction. I think Skyrim either needs a great prize, or be considered as a bonus game for it to have a chance in the marathon.

Also, it will need very very good commentary that is either very informative or very funny.

In other words, no, I'm not sold on Skyrim. I'm aware it's very popular (it sold 7 million+ copies or so AFAIK) and recent, but that's not exactly selling me on whether it would be a good marathon watch.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: People need to actually PRACTICE their commentary abilities as well. If not the runner, then someone else. And if you're the runner and no one else has volunteered, either man up or ask someone. There are plenty of people who would be willing to help in this situation.  This goes double if you have a game that's longer than 45 minutes.

This is also the case for the under represented games. Good commentary goes a long way in making it an entertaining watch.
SEGA Junkie
Quote from Lee:
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: People need to actually PRACTICE their commentary abilities as well.

You know, I actually did this before AGDQ'12. It went absolutely disastrously and shattered my confidence. And then somehow it worked out fine in the end. I don't really know what the moral of this story is...
Edit history:
deathfire123: 2012-07-15 07:40:08 pm
deathfire123: 2012-07-15 07:39:49 pm
Gimme some sugar Shaggy!
Quote from Lee:
Quote from mikwuyma:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: People need to actually PRACTICE their commentary abilities as well. If not the runner, then someone else. And if you're the runner and no one else has volunteered, either man up or ask someone. There are plenty of people who would be willing to help in this situation.  This goes double if you have a game that's longer than 45 minutes.

This is also the case for the under represented games. Good commentary goes a long way in making it an entertaining watch.

The only person willing to commentate for my Ratchet and Clank game during SGDQ was Jman. Cry

DARN YOU DENTON AND YOUR AMAZING COOKING SKILLS! I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!!!!!!!!
Quote from mike89:
You know, I actually did this before AGDQ'12. It went absolutely disastrously and shattered my confidence. And then somehow it worked out fine in the end. I don't really know what the moral of this story is...

That's exactly how it's supposed to work. The first few times words coming out of your mouth feels HORRIBLE. But it's an important step. Over time, even if you're not verbally speaking, your mind is making sense out of what you were trying to say. So if you practice, and practice early, I can guarantee that what you say will be way better than if you just wing it.
Quote from mikwuyma:

I dunno, maybe you're right, but I'm not really thinking that it's an amazing marathon run, more that it's an ok marathon run with enough hype potential behind it that it could probably net a ton of viewers/donations anyway... Plus "Skyrim in one hour!" being on the schedule might help us out on the promotion side. I do agree that it would need some really good commentary, though... Chrno might have a better idea what might actually be in the commentary than me. Alduin statue comes to mind for the prize, looks like there are a few going for fairly cheap on ebay.

I understand not wanting to build up hype for a run that will be anything less than incredible, so if that's your thinking, fair enough.
Edit history:
Linkinito: 2012-07-16 03:59:42 am
This is my avatar
Quote from deathfire123:
The only person willing to commentate for my Ratchet and Clank game during SGDQ was Jman. Cry

I also commented your run... On the french eLive stream. And I was applauded for the quality of the commentary. ^^
Edit history:
Chrno: 2012-07-16 05:07:10 am
Chrno: 2012-07-16 05:07:00 am
Chrno: 2012-07-16 04:38:45 am
WOW.
Quote from Paraxade:
In other words, no, I'm not sold on Skyrim. I'm aware it's very popular (it sold 7 million+ copies or so AFAIK) and recent, but that's not exactly selling me on whether it I dunno, maybe you're right, but I'm not really thinking that it's an amazing marathon run, more that it's an ok marathon run with enough hype potential behind it that it could probably net a ton of viewers/donations anyway... Plus "Skyrim in one hour!" being on the schedule might help us out on the promotion side. I do agree that it would need some really good commentary, though... Chrno might have a better idea what might actually be in the commentary than me. Alduin statue comes to mind for the prize, looks like there are a few going for fairly cheap on ebay.

Well, the whole thing about Skyrim being completed in an hour would just be lying, as the run is currently at around 1:15 - 1:20. As for prizes, the dovahkiin hats (i'll put a picture below), everyone goes mad for them and they are cheap to make/get.

As for commentary, there is quite a bit of explaining to do about the physics engine and object collision, right down to how the hight of your character can effect your run speed.

Dovahkiin Hats:

Anyway, I'll shut up about it for now. If it's 100% defenatly cut, then I guess we should move on to more pressing matters.
Edit history:
Sonikkustar: 2012-07-16 05:09:47 pm
Sonikkustar: 2012-07-16 02:57:20 pm
The Great Farming Empire
I think if worst comes to worst, then Skyrim could be a donation incentive. But that's only if theres enough room in the schedule. Other than that, I wouldnt while too much if it's cut.

That's all I have to say on the matter.
Gimme some sugar Shaggy!
Quote from Linkinito:
Quote from deathfire123:

I also commented your run... On the french eLive stream. And I was applauded for the quality of the commentary. ^^

Well I meant people at the marathon but cool!
Haters gonna hate
Just thought I'd throw something that happened at work.

I was talking to a co-worker who's a gamer and mentioned speed running to him and he immediately mentioned the Skyrim speed run and didn't know about other speed runs until I brought it up.

What does that mean? Not much, but I think that people that aren't really familiar with speed running will see Skyrim on the schedule and it will spark their interest in watching.
train kept rollin
Quote from Mecha Richter:
but I think that people that aren't really familiar with speed running will see Skyrim on the schedule and it will spark their interest in watching.

Especially with the time estimate given.
Professional Second Banana
OK, let's move on folks - just because Skyrim got cut this time doesn't mean it's never getting into a marathon (especially if new glitches/tricks are discovered that make the Skyrim speedrun run a better watch).