page  <- 12345678910111213141516 -> <- 1 ... 15, 16 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
puchiedarcy: 2012-09-13 06:04:51 pm
Hello, seeing as there may be available time I will offer up Donkey Kong Country 3 to complete the trilogy. As of this moment, I have learned up to world 5 in sub-40 minutes. With two worlds left, I feel it will prolly be under an hour, so estimate of 1:10. This is one of my favorite games, and it would be great motivation to finish learning. Thanks!
Edit history:
Twig: 2012-09-13 06:07:34 pm
Just wanna throw my support for dkc3, while it doesn't have flashy sequence breaks / glitches of dkc1 and 2, its a solid platformer that is pretty dang fun to watch. Rolling monkeys ftw.
Speedrunning down a dream
Unfortunately, I will no longer be able to attend. So go ahead and remove me from Banjo-Kazooie. Hopefully someone else can run the game because it could use some exposure. It just can't be me. Thanks.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2012-09-13 08:32:31 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Well with Banjo-Kazooie out of the picture, it looks like adding DKC3 in would be a good choice. I'll also add Sonic Colors to the game list.

EDIT: I know Trek is coming, but he told me he wasn't going to play Banjo-Kazooie.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
No Banjo-Kazooie.....(bloodbath of tears). If for some reason you need more time filled, I can offer to do both Rayman and Rayman: Origins.
So, we're suggesting games again? In that case, if you need 2 hours filled and if you don't mind having a second MGS game, I could still do MGS1.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
I thought we were only suggesting games that had been cut from the first draft of the list?
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 04:53:27 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 03:04:43 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 03:02:26 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 02:59:43 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 02:58:11 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 02:58:04 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 02:58:04 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 02:57:09 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 02:56:12 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 02:54:58 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 02:54:47 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 02:53:22 pm
<(^_^)>
I mentioned this before, but if 2 hours are open, I'd love to do Kirby's Return to Dreamland any% (KRtDL). It is a very strong game, many people really enjoy the game, and it's a solid modern game. Here's my reasoning:

I know you cut it because you said that 95% wing would not be entertaining, but you also said yourself that KRtDL got much positive reception at SGDQ. The general public doesn't even know that Wing is insanely powerful (most people underestimate it as a very weak ability), and unlike Wheel, Wing is very technical, so I can assure you that viewers will be surprised and impressed, even with the hundreds of dash attacks. Heck, more people think any% is much more entertaining than 100% because it's much more technical and much faster. 100% doesn't take an extra hour because energy spheres take long to collect; at least 70-80% of that time is from Wing being so much faster than everything else. There are many, many small tricks that look very impressive, including:

-Swimming through near-pixel perfect gaps by spike balls
-Slamming into lava and/or spikes without losing Wing
-Skipping Ultra Sword's hit animation on two bosses
-Abusing damage invincibility to speed through obstacle-heavy areas
-Many, many fast door entries (jump-cancelled combo dives entering doors instantly)

From this past week that I've streamed, my any% practice runs have received some comments with pretty positive reception, and you'd be surprised with how many people were entertained with merely my practice. (My stream isn't big at the same time, but reception is still generally pretty positive) This is much funner to watch as well if it were in a race (cough yoshifan cough)

Finally, I don't see why KRtDL should be cut for the sole reason of "not enough variety" when you have KSS 100% and nightmare in dreamland, Metaknightmare. KSS 100% speedrun is practically 80% Jet, with some plasma for the arena. (in dynablade and metaknight's revenge, 0xwas's route literally just grabs two close enemies in the first room and mixes for jet, and keeps it the entire game; milky way wishes goes to the sky level and gets jet first thing.); to add on to that, fighting bosses with plasma in KSS is IMO visually equivalent with fighting bosses with Wing Kirby in KRtDL, as they are both very fast, technical, and spamming one move very well and quickly. The only sub-games with strong variety are Spring Breeze (because Jet is nonexistent) and Great Cave Offensive, which is still at least 50% Jet.

Nightmare in Dreamland is... 100% metaknight. What variety is that?

And KSS and NiD have already been done at almost every marathon, whereas KRtDL only one (which was a joke co-op run).

As a bonus, people are always impressed with true arena. We can always get more donations for ability-donation wars, as I can finish True Arena very competently with Hammer, Parasol, Leaf, Beam, and Wing, and I can add more to my repertoire easily with almost half a year of practice.

Obviously this only really applies if at least 2 hours open up. But I do want to make one last push for KRtDL into AGDQ 2013 if it's ever possible. My point is, IMO it doesn't make sense to cut KRtDL any% for the sole reason that it doesn't have variety when you have KSS and NiD in there as well, especially since KRtDL has never been seriously ran before. From the reasoning you've listed at the first post, mike, IMO KRtDL would be the strongest game to bring back from that list of cut games (besides the trio of God of War, Rayman and Spyro, which has already been discussed).
I would like to bring up an issue with Dark Souls in the marathon. Currently in the PC version of the game with the new content, the kiln skip glitch has been fixed. Now think about this, the DLC and related fixes will be released before the AGDQ2013 so, chances are the kiln glitch will be patched in the console versions as well. If peril1337 decides he wants to play the DLC stuff this could be a problem. But I guess if he decides not to ever update his game after it is released, shouldn't be an issue. Would have to disconnect his console from the net before every gaming session. O_o
Quote from Shiden:
I would like to bring up an issue with Dark Souls in the marathon. Currently in the PC version of the game with the new content, the kiln skip glitch has been fixed. Now think about this, the DLC and related fixes will be released before the AGDQ2013 so, chances are the kiln glitch will be patched in the console versions as well. If peril1337 decides he wants to play the DLC stuff this could be a problem. But I guess if he decides not to ever update his game after it is released, shouldn't be an issue. Would have to disconnect his console from the net before every gaming session. O_o

Or he could just delete the update
Quote from Zastbat:
Quote from Shiden:

Or he could just delete the update

Yeah I never think of these things. If I had to guess though the best version to play with would be the current version 1.05. If he were to delete the update data though wouldn't it just go straight back to 1.00?
Is PJ
kirbymastah, have you seen 0xwas play KSS 100%?  If so, then you realize how ridiculous it is to compare the entertainment value of that run to KRtDL.
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 04:26:21 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 03:19:33 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-09-14 03:12:04 pm
<(^_^)>
I've seen 0xwas play KSS 100% (I do KSSU 100% myself), and obviously I'm not going to say that it's bad. At the same time, KSS has been done before, several times, and so has NiD. Am I advocating KRtDL to replace one of the two? No, definitely not, KSS does beat KRtDL in entertainment value for sure. I already said only if 2 hours open up from dropped games, because IMO it would be the strongest entry out of the initial list of cut games, given mike's reasons for each. I also know how ridiculous 0xwas is at KSS and K64 and paper mario Tongue
I want off the ride....
if mike wanted to be dumb, he'd throw in double dragon: neon lolol
All the things
Only if by "dumb" you mean "amazing" Cheesy
SEGA Junkie
Peril1337 has pulled out of AGDQ anyway, so unless another runner steps up Dark Souls discussion is moot.
Hey if there's 2 hours available, I can still play Air Fortress!

*Hal explodes*

d'oh
welcome to the machine
Guess I'll pick up Dark Souls then.
difficult and stupidly random
My question is this:
Is there any way to incorporate Renegade?

A run is only 6 or 7 intense minutes. But what a treat!

Renegade is ready to go at a moment's notice if we are ahead of schedule.
It spices up an awful games block.
It fits in the credits of another game!

I hope I've sold you on the benefits of including Renegade in the marathon.  :s
sounds like another die hard to me
I want off the ride....
Quote from Omnigamer:
Only if by "dumb" you mean "amazing" Cheesy

okay i'm drunk and i've been playing this game too much but i'm sure i could do it in under 1:10 real time npnpnp by the time the marathon comes... totally could do NG by that timeeasy NG+ even easier.
I SEEN IT!

He's quite good.
Is PJ
Quote from feasel:
My question is this:
Is there any way to incorporate Renegade?

A run is only 6 or 7 intense minutes. But what a treat!

Renegade is ready to go at a moment's notice if we are ahead of schedule.
It spices up an awful games block.
It fits in the credits of another game!

I hope I've sold you on the benefits of including Renegade in the marathon.  :s

^^^
Pudding%
Quote from chessjerk:
Hey if there's 2 hours available, I can still play Air Fortress!

*Hal explodes*

d'oh

And there would STILL be time for Renegade!
SEGA Junkie
I really, really don't like that people are using this topic to make fresh suggestions when there are 30-40 hours of cuts to sift through first. Yes, that means DKC3 as well, as much as I'd personally love to see it. Tongue

I do have a bit of sympathy for Kiyura though, since he was on the schedule last year.