--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2012-07-11 03:19:58 pm
mikwuyma: 2012-07-11 03:14:57 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I realize we're not quite at 150 hours yet, and there's 3 games without times on the list, but I figure I'll wait and see if I even have to make more cuts

Also, I'M NOT TAKING GAME SUGGESTIONS ANYMORE! People had plenty of time to suggest games.

Current list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alb3Dj0u13H7dEN0Q3kyZzRiZjRLMzFrb0EyZDJ6QUE

Since most people don't seem to read my posts very thoroughly, I'm not going to make this post too long. I'll just mention the cuts and why.

Here's what is cut.

Bastion
Brandish
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Drake of the 99 Dragons
Sonic Riders
A Rayman game
A God of War game
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 4
Ultima Underworld
Sonic Adventure DX
Mario Kart DS
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Zelda: Twilight Princess
A Spyro game
Commander Keen 4
Zool: Ninja of the 'Nth' Dimension
Mohawk & Headphone Jack

Bastion: Great game, but not fun to watch.

Brandish: We agreed that most games in Awful Games Done Quick should probably be an hour or less or they might start to wear thin.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland: I'm not sure if 95% bird/wing power would really make for an entertaining speedrun, and the two other Kirby games on the schedule are stronger entries.

Drake of the 99 Dragons: See Brandish

Sonic Riders: Not really awful, just unexceptional.

Rayman game: See next post.

God of War game: See next post.

Prince of Persia: Two Thrones: I haven't put work into this game yet, and I don't know if it's stable enough for a marathon.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory: Splinter Cell doesn't seem to get much of a reaction at marathons.

Metal Gear Solid: Sorry Slade, but 3 is the fan favorite, and even though Twin Snakes isn't quite the same game, it's still similar.

Resident Evil 4: This was fairly popular last time, but there wouldn't be much new if this game was repeated right away.

Ultima Underworld: Not really sold on this game being a good watch, and we have already have stronger PC games on the list.

Sonic Adventure DX: Mapler's run was too good at SGDQ, it would be really hard to top that.

Mario Kart DS: I'm not really convinced this would be a great watch, and if 0xwas comes, Diddy Kong Racing would steal the show anyway.

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim: I think this would just be like Fallout 3 at JRDQ. Not really much to comment on except how little is going on in a run.

Zelda: Twilight Princess: This one is somewhat debatable, but we have a lot of Zelda already, and having too much Zelda might lead to viewer burnout (even if we split them up far apart) and/or donations slowing down somewhat. Unfortunately this was the weakest of the 3D Zeldas on the list.

Spyro: See second post.

Commander Keen 4: Too much Keen on the list, and this was already done 2012.

Zool: An hour of this game is just too much. There's not a whole lot to the gameplay either.

Mohawk and Headphone Jack: This is more of an SDA-in joke, and I'm not sure how it would translate on stream. Most likely with lots of complaints about nausea or motion sickness.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2012-07-11 03:12:55 pm
God of War, Rayman and Spyro

Unfortunately, having two of these games is too much. There are two choices we can have with these games.

1. One game is cut, and the other remains.

2. Bidding war for which game is played.

The advantage of the first one is that it means one game is guaranteed, but it means one person is screwed out of a game.

The advantage of a bidding war is more money for the charity, and both players have a chance to play a game, but again, one person gets screwed out, and we're not sure who.

I'm all for bidding wars for the games, but it's also up to the runners if they want one.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Quote from mikwuyma:
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim: I think this would just be like Fallout 3 at JRDQ. Not really much to comment on except how little is going on in a run.

Have you at least watched a run of this?
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2012-07-11 03:19:13 pm
Heidman: Yes, I watched Ilseroth's record on stream. It was a couple of plates to go through walls and then a bunch of walking around.

EDIT: Here's the run. I'll let other people judge too. http://www.twitch.tv/ilseroth/b/311470451
Willing to teach you the impossible
Just making sure
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I'm cool with a bidding war for Rayman/Rayman: Origins if neskamikaze is.
DS Dictator
Quote:
Mario Kart DS: I'm not really convinced this would be a great watch, and if 0xwas comes, Diddy Kong Racing would steal the show anyway.

Bolded the text because it's so true.

And the video in the hidden tab pretty much gives a good idea why Mario Kart DS GP mode should not be added to the list.
The only big selling point in uniqueness is mission mode which has a variety of objectives such as going through tyre arches, clearing a lap with x amount of power slides, etc . But I don't feel like practising that so I'm honestly fine with the cut.

Edit history:
qubit: 2012-07-11 04:04:59 pm
aka theenglishman
Okay, since RE4 got cut, I am all for learning Uncharted 2.  Is that still on the table, considering I expressed interest in it well before the "no more game suggestions" cutoff date?

Also I think GoWII should be left in instead of 1, and not just because I'm playing it Tongue  Seriously, the amount of removed downtime just from the ability to skip cutscenes in Bonus Play would be enough to make it a faster-paced, more entertaining run.
dabes
I wasn't sure if I would be able to raise the funds in time to go, but this sort of makes my decision finalized. I already know spyro 2 would win the donation war, since it's more popular and people like tricks. I'd rather not spend that much money going there and only have it be a maybe if I can even run stuff, and I don't really care to go just to get destroyed in a race lol. I'll just save my money for a future marathon, and hope things won't be as packed in that one.

Feel free to drop Spyro 1.
Is PJ
I mentioned before that Mohawk's motion sickness-inducing abilities are grossly exaggerated.  There's a difference between joking about motion sickness and actually getting sick from watching the game.  It is also perhaps the most unique game on the lineup (at least for AwfulGDQ), so if nothing else that would translate well to stream.

I have no problem with the game being cut, mind you.  I just think that justifying the entire cut based on it causing motion sickness (which has yet to happen) is a bit of stretch.
I take it my suggestion to play Mischief Makers in the previous thread wasn't very popular? And I'd still be up for racing MM7 if that wins its donation war.
Precursor
Quote from PJ:
I mentioned before that Mohawk's motion sickness-inducing abilities are grossly exaggerated.  There's a difference between joking about motion sickness and actually getting sick from watching the game.

I actually did feel physically ill from watching it that time you bonus streamed it after some marathon. I don't really get motion sickness, but MH&HJ legitimately gave me a headache. Not exaggerating.
Is PJ
Quote from KennyMan666:
Quote from PJ:
I mentioned before that Mohawk's motion sickness-inducing abilities are grossly exaggerated.  There's a difference between joking about motion sickness and actually getting sick from watching the game.

I actually did feel physically ill from watching it that time you bonus streamed it after some marathon. I don't really get motion sickness, but MH&HJ legitimately gave me a headache. Not exaggerating.

That makes you the first.  Congrats!
Precursor
Somehow I doubt I'm the first person to ever get a headache from that game.
Haters gonna hate
I was mad drunk when we did commentary for Mohawk and I was fine.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from Mecha Richter:
I was mad drunk when we did commentary for Mohawk and I was fine.

maybe that was why …
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2012-07-11 07:09:21 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-07-11 06:39:08 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-07-11 05:33:00 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-07-11 05:07:39 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-07-11 04:58:13 pm
kirbymastah: 2012-07-11 04:57:45 pm
<(^_^)>
that's understandable about Kirby's Return to Dreamland, though at the same time 95% wing is still MUCH more entertaining then 95% wheel because of a ton of technical things Wing Kirby can do, and every boss/miniboss is a highlight. IMO any% KRtDL is overall more entertaining than at least the dreamland 2/3 series in general (KSS is hard to top), just because of how technical wing is.

If you want to see how an any% run would look like:

and the bosses (aka the funnest parts) would look like:

But I guess not much can be done about it at this point; i guess next time I can offer to do 100% Kirby's Return to Dreamland or something like that then, since it's more entertaining.
Everything's better with Magitek
Quote from PJ:
Quote from KennyMan666:
Quote from PJ:

That makes you the first.  Congrats!

He's not the only one - I watched it for about 2 minutes and started feeling sick. Granted, I get headaches and motion sickness very easily. Tongue
Claimh Happy
Huh. Honestly expected to lose Aria before Sonic. That said, guess I don't have to bother cutting 40 at a marathon, so that's a little pressure off. I'll just work on keeping Aria under 18, then. Hell, I let her run long enough to buy liquor at SGDQ Sad
echoing disappointment at Skyrim being cut. The game has such a massive fanbase I would bet on it being a solid inclusion. But meh.
Feudal Family Lord
Watching Mohawk gives me an inst-headache, and some nausea
Yeah, I got some mad motion sickness from watching Mohawk and Headphone Jack too. It's sad to see some of these games go, but I think the cuts are generally good choices from the list.
More useful than it ought to be.
D'aww...Bastion got cut. Understandable, though.  There aren't any real boss fights and a good part of the narration gets skipped over/runs together weird, especially with the NG+ run. Still, :(.

Good (non-marathon) luck to the rest the runners!
Pheenoh the mean-o
Sucks TP got cut, but I was expecting it. Still far more entertaining to watch than wind waker imo, but cosmo is more popular than i.
I'm down for donation war between Raymans.