page  <- 12345678910111213141516 -> <- 1 .. 9 .. 16 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Fucking Weeaboo
YAY! Smiley

All of his posts sucked. The poor fool never did seem to get it.
Quote from Siglemic:
ill run 120 star @ agdq

I'm all for giving sig the slot for sm64. he'll bring in alot more viewers. maybe I can race Ringrush in DK64 Any% that way i get to do something for the marathon still.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Some updates:

Garrison said he won't have enough time to practice Doom II because Mega Man will take up his time. Kubelwagon has been working on the game so Garrison just said give Doom II to him.

PEACHES_ talked to me about his games (Thief II and Lost Vikings) and while he loves the games, he feels that both games are not good marathon choices.

However, PEACHES_ did suggest Mischief Makers, which I did unfairly overlook when Yggdrizzle suggested it. I'm not 100% sure about adding the game on the schedule yet, but I think it would be a good add, and even a good race if both players are willing to grind out the game.

Puwexil said he won't have the time to work on Little Nemo and he's cool with Arrow running the game. If I don't get a response on this by Sunday the 26th, then I'll just replace Little Nemo with Mischief Makers (yes I'm aware Mischief Makers is longer).
Fucking Weeaboo
Having owned and played Mischief Makers, I will say it's an EXCELLENT choice if the players are good shakers. It may be a bit of a cult classic like Gunstar Heroes, but it's generally for the same reason - just not enough publicity.
Hmm, I wonder if you could schedule my Keen 5 run to be as the credits in Wind Waker are starting up. I could beat the game before the credits finish. Smiley
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2012-08-16 01:06:40 pm
That would be fun, Cosmo, I'll see if I can arrange that when I make the schedule.
Come to think of it, we'll want the credits to play out during Prime 2 so Miles can see his time, but they last like 7-8 minutes iirc. Maybe if there's any short games that could be played then Tongue
Claimh Happy
I could always squeeze CV:HoD (Maxim any%) into just about any 2 minute window (including set-up, ideally). Perhaps that would go better with something sort of related though...or if HoD were actually on the schedule. Race the SotN intro? Wink
Not a walrus
Quote from mapler90210:
I could always squeeze CV:HoD (Maxim any%) into just about any 2 minute window (including set-up, ideally). Perhaps that would go better with something sort of related though...or if HoD were actually on the schedule. Race the SotN intro? Wink

Setting that up would take more time than the game itself.
Claimh Happy
if we assume it'd take 5 minutes to set up (probably still being generous), it'd be ten times longer than the game itself. For an incredibly silly gimmick that would remove every shred of seriousness from the SotN run. And make the set up itself extremely obnoxious for the rest of the run because it'd still be accommodating the HoD screen. Honestly I don't see what more I can do to sell this to you. If you won't take it now I'm afraid the deal is off. Cry
I don't want more than one or two credits/ending races, just fyi.
Pudding%
Mapler, we could try and have a donation incentive here:
For $X we'll do a race: Me on AoS doing Soma Boss Rush (like 1:30ish, and I'd already have the game on and ready to go), and you on HoD Maxim (would just need to change game packs as the GCN would already be hooked in). Maxim any% glitched is what...1:30ish? Might make a nice donation incentive if nothing else.
Claimh Happy
First off, I just want to say (although I hope this was already apparent) that HoD as a race against some random game's credits was a joke. I brought it up because when I thought of beating the game before SotN's intro finished, I thought it was very funny.

Second, HoD honestly isn't a great game for a marathon. It's just too confusing if you aren't already aware of what's happening, and the entertaining/fast strats are way too risky. As for the race, even the safe strat would probably have a 20 second advantage over Boss Rush, so that seems like a bad idea. Julius Boss Rush on it's own would probably be a better incentive, since it's easier to follow and provides more variety over Soma's Boss Rush.
Edit history:
Nobility: 2012-08-18 04:30:29 pm
So is Marathon Infinity going to get played or not?  I'm having a really hard time processing your perception of acceptable games.  The game can be completed in under 25 minutes on the hardest difficulty, which obviously, is really impressive.  And just because it's not a "mac classic" you're not even considering it? lol  Because, you know, lets watch more people run Mario and Sonic for the fifteenth hundred time.  Which I have no problem with because they're classics, but lets be real here...the process of choosing these games is ridiculous and insulting to players who take the time to master lesser known games and then get denied because they're not "classic" in your mind.
Not a walrus
Making posts like that is not going to help you get it on the schedule.
Not a walrus
We've already had this argument in this thread before. Let's not rehash it.

Also, I saw that.

(For the record, I want to see Marathon.)
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
We've already had this argument in this thread before. Let's not rehash it.

Also, I saw that.

(For the record, I want to see Marathon.)

I was trying to cancel my edit but I guess I accidentally deleted it. lol

And NO, I'm going to rehash it.  Also, still confused why SKYRIM is cut (RE4 as well) with a game with a MASSIVE fanbase you could have expected TONS of viewers to chime in and receive loads of donations.  But eh, whatever floats OP's boat.
...Except it was added back as a bonus game that is pretty much guaranteed to be donated for.
Didn't know that, should update OP I guess?
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2012-08-18 04:55:04 pm
UraniumAnchor: 2012-08-18 04:54:39 pm
UraniumAnchor: 2012-08-18 04:51:34 pm
Not a walrus
Edit: Never mind the post was about something else.

Basically it boils down to "the game is great, the speedrun is a lot of running around the wilderness until you come across another glitch". Fallout 3 had the same problem. If the Skyrim run was shorter it would have a better chance of getting in.
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
Edit: Never mind the post was about something else.

Basically it boils down to "the game is great, the speedrun is a lot of running around the wilderness until you come across another glitch". Fallout 3 had the same problem. If the Skyrim run was shorter it would have a better chance of getting in.

I agree with you on that, I was just saying it has a massive fanbase which would lead to a lot of donations. Undecided

What about Marathon Infinity, is that in or out?  If not, why?
welcome to the machine
Quote from Nobility:
And NO, I'm going to rehash it.

no, you're not.  we are not going to repeat the same debate over and over every time a new user notices their pet game isn't on the schedule.  and to answer your question, yes, marathon infinity was cut (if it was ever on the schedule in the first place, which I'm not sure of).

I would love to do an Obscure Games Done Quick.  There are a bunch of games I'd love to see that have no chance of getting into a marathon.  Monster World IV, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter, Homeworld: Cataclysm, and GrimGrimoire to name a few.  But you know what?  It would be extremely surprising if it drew a quarter of the donations the current AGDQ lineup would (assuming same conditions, length, etc).  Just look at the viewer response for Trio the Punch, or the lack thereof.  Nobody would understand the games or why the runs are impressive, and it would be a hell of a lot harder to even get prizes for the games, let alone good prizes, and don't even think about having as many people donate for them as they would for popular prizes.

Judging games by both popularity and perceived watchability is intentional and is going to continue into the future.  Everyone, not just you, has a problem with it, but we have to do it anyways.  Blame the gaming public if you must; our marathon lineup is merely a symptom.  Is it a little insulting to runners of less-popular games?  I can see that, yeah.  But hamstringing donations to charity would be a much worse idea.  Since you clearly haven't read anything besides the first post of this topic, you should go back and read the debate about this very subject that we previously had, instead of shooting from the hip with a viewpoint already discussed.

marathon infinity has additional problems in that most people on SDA do not really play FPSs.  The Halo Reach run from last AGDQ was a good example, in that it was a good run but only Cody was able to commentate it.  It still turned out alright, but that hurt a lot.  In any case, I've certainly never played Marathon Infinity and have no idea why it would be impressive to the average viewer (can guarantee you most viewers haven't even heard of it, and the series hasn't been popping up much in marathon chat either).  It's too late for this year, but if someone volunteers the game again next year, you could write up a post or two to sell the game (decent video link, explain why it would be a good watch to someone who's never seen it, etc).  This is not an invitation to start an argument about it, but more information would be nice to have in the future.

I really do appreciate that you care about the quality of the marathon and the games we showcase, but this conversation is not productive and will waste everyone's time.  Do not reply to this post with the intent of arguing further.
Pheenoh the mean-o
I'm gonna give DK64 to RingRush or Cfox7 (games list already hints at this). However, in the event RingRush can't make it and Cfox7 can't run it on the first day, I will still be happy to run it.
Quote from VorpalEdge:
Quote from Nobility:
And NO, I'm going to rehash it.

marathon infinity has additional problems in that most people on SDA do not really play FPSs.  The Halo Reach run from last AGDQ was a good example, in that it was a good run but only Cody was able to commentate it.  It still turned out alright, but that hurt a lot.  In any case, I've certainly never played Marathon Infinity and have no idea why it would be impressive to the average viewer (can guarantee you most viewers haven't even heard of it, and the series hasn't been popping up much in marathon chat either).  It's too late for this year, but if someone volunteers the game again next year, you could write up a post or two to sell the game (decent video link, explain why it would be a good watch to someone who's never seen it, etc).  This is not an invitation to start an argument about it, but more information would be nice to have in the future.

I guess I'll just repeat what I said from before.  You'll have to come to the realization, and respect that people also run FPS's.  Sure, it may not be as fast as say, Quake. . . but every single game, including FPS's has it's own skill gap, believe it or not.  I shouldn't even have to argue this, nor should it be a problem since we all do the same thing here; we beat games really fast.  Whether it be a 2D side-scroller  or a open-world RPG, they all have it own's mastery to it.

There's an odd appreciation when it comes to obscure games due to the fact none of them get supported yet players still stay dedicated to run them.  So, if you can't comprehend that... you'll continue to put the barrier between this community and the runners that don't get any recognition.  And believe me, I've seen most of the rejected runs as well the reasons for them.  smh.
Quote from Nobility:

There's an odd appreciation when it comes to obscure games due to the fact none of them get supported yet players still stay dedicated to run them.  So, if you can't comprehend that... you'll continue to put the barrier between this community and the runners that don't get any recognition.  And believe me, I've seen most of the rejected runs as well the reasons for them.  smh.

I can sympathize with you to an extent because the two runs I've submitted to the site were very obscure games that got little support. But that's to be expected. I speed run for personal satisfaction. The number of people who watch my runs and any potential recognition I could get mean nothing to me. And I would imagine that a decent amount of other runners share a similar opinion.  If you need recognition in order to justify continuing this hobby, then maybe speedrunning isn't for you.

Furthermore, Mike and all the other people involved in the marathon put a lot of effort into organizing, planning, and doing everything else. You act like the same exact games keep being ran while nothing new is added. Yeah a lot of the more famous speedrunning games are common in every marathon (different categories to keep things fresh though), but a solid amount of new games, series, and runners are being added to each new marathon. You can also see more obscure games being run at SGDQ. All in all, I think a good balance between new and old, and what the runners want and what the viewers want is ultimately struck.