Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213141516 -> <- 1 .. 5 .. 16 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
But having it around sooner rather than later would be better if we want to take advantage of the hype. Tongue
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
If this were a chat, I would suggest immediate kicks for any person who from now on posts anything containing the word 'Skyrim' ô.o
...I thought the point of this topic was to discuss the games that were cut?
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
I think, every argument pro and contra Skyrim has now been posted (albeit not by everyone)
— freely quoted from Karl Valentin
Everybody DANCE!
You mentioned Skyrim!  *kicks Aiko*

Wait...I mentioned Skyrim...*kicks self*
Edit history:
Paraxade: 2012-07-17 05:38:05 pm
I don't see the issue with having a discussion about one of the cuts. If we aren't allowed to talk about the cuts and we aren't allowed to suggest new games then what is the point of this topic?

I also don't think we were at the point where we were going in circles yet, and Mike's last post sounded like he was considering it provided there would be good commentary/prizes, so meh.
Edit history:
puwexil: 2012-07-17 06:04:12 pm
Professional Second Banana
Nobody said this thread isn't for discussion of cuts - it's just that nothing new is really being said about Skyrim anymore.  Unless anyone has a case to make for it other than "it's a new/popular game that might draw new people/donators to our marathons", it's time to move on.
if all it takes to have you stop cutting every game I want to watch or just not give a flat reject when they're mentioned is a prize bribe...

ps: hi if I hated every marathon I probably would've stopped watching after CGDQ. I wouldn't have shown up to one (or two). I wouldn't bring a ton of gear to use. I wouldn't donate prizes to give away and I wouldn't donate a couple grand to the various causes over the years. ^_^
Moo! Flap! Hug!
dballin, repeat after me.  Seriously, use the copy and paste functions on your computer if you have to:

"I'm sorry that I got really upset when all my games were cut.  Like a tonne of people on SDA, I just wanted to contribute to something great, and I was really sad when I wasn't able to play something for AGDQ 2013.  I got angry, like so many people who had games cut on the basis of subjective predictions of what would be successful.  If possible, I'd love to contribute to a future marathon, where I hope one of my games will make the cut :)"

Yes, the smiley face is necessary.
so when is everyone going to calm their nips and try to have fun with this? I understand that people get frustrated but that's no reason to bitch and moan. Hell I can't even guarantee that I have my game in the marathon but I'm not pissy about it. It's like I said before, as long as  God of War game gets in the marathon I'm happy. So instead of getting angry about your game being cut, why not practice it as if it were part of the marathon and then just present it as a donation incentive or put it in the bonus stream. Seriously, all I'm seeing recently in this thread is "wah that game I wanted in the marathon got cut" or "stop complaining about the cut games and deal with it." Can we all just move and act like adults yet? Now then, if you need me I'll be over here playing God of War
$15 per rant/allegory
Quote from The Kilted One:
so when is everyone going to calm their nips and try to have fun with this? I understand that people get frustrated but that's no reason to bitch and moan. Hell I can't even guarantee that I have my game in the marathon but I'm not pissy about it. It's like I said before, as long as  God of War game gets in the marathon I'm happy. So instead of getting angry about your game being cut, why not practice it as if it were part of the marathon and then just present it as a donation incentive or put it in the bonus stream. Seriously, all I'm seeing recently in this thread is "wah that game I wanted in the marathon got cut" or "stop complaining about the cut games and deal with it." Can we all just move and act like adults yet? Now then, if you need me I'll be over here playing God of War

Yeah, how dare you people who have worked hard on their runs feel sad at their omission. I mean, it's not like you've put effort into them or anything. You should be more like this guy who has a game.

Also quit suggesting things. It's stupid.
Edit history:
dballin: 2012-07-18 03:48:06 pm
Balls jerky
ok lets try this again. I'm sorry every post sounds like it's bitching. I'm sorry they're poorly worded and the message seems to get lost. I don't think the marathons are a disaster. That much should be obvious by my attendance, donations, etc as stated. I don't know how this one thing plus this one other thing turns into The Whole Marathon Is Terrible or Do we need 8 Zeldas = Never play any Zeldas again, but it seems to keep happening. When examining donations, you will find that most people donate once so while Zelda might be a huge draw, playing 8 (or however many the number isn't important) of them doesn't necessarily mean 8 times the results. The ROI is not constant and the more of one thing you add, the worse your ROI will get over time. Even PJ pointed it out with the TG thinger aimed solely at AtariAge even though I don't think that's what he was going for. Putting all your eggs into one basket is never a good idea. I pointed out some of the more glaring examples of this and suggested we switch out one of them for a game in an untested fairly large market in relation to our worldwide audience to evaluate the ROI of that specific event. I thought it could help. However, that was the worst idea ever and somehow shows a lack of perspective. The games I'm arguing for will never be in a marathon because we said so. They don't get cut because they were never considered. Wink I won't be able to contribute to a future marathon because "they're only getting larger", but I've never been angry or bitter. Annoyed, yes. Seriously, they weren't even my game suggestions. All of my posts were littered with smileys and dumb sayings "Viva La Revolucion!" so I was having a bit of fun actually. MY one game: even if Mike had said "That's the best idea ever I want you to open the marathon with it!!!!" I would've had to drop it due to not being there at that time so that one's fine. Don't care!

As far as Skyrim, it's kinda the HUGE number of people that comprise the TES install base vs Mike's opinion right now. What would we consider a "Good prize" for Skyrim? I would seriously consider donating it if it will save the run because I strongly disagree with your assessment and I haven't shut up yet so I might as well put up. If it flops, feel free to send a lynch mob to my apartment. That is all. I love you all. <3
SEGA Junkie
Quote from flicky:
Quote from The Kilted One:

Yeah, how dare you people who have worked hard on their runs feel sad at their omission. I mean, it's not like you've put effort into them or anything. You should be more like this guy who has a game.

How is suggesting that everyone relax a bit "stupid"? Surely we all agree that we're working towards the same thing here, which is to put on the best charity event possible. Clearly some people disagree on the best way to achieve that goal, but nobody comes out of it looking any better when they belittle other people for having an opinion.

Also, you of all people should know that there are many more ways to contribute to a marathon than playing a game. Hell, even if you are playing a game, you're still not playing for over 95% of the marathon...
Quote from flicky:

Flicky the point of my post is that I don't have a game. Uyama has pretty much guaranteed that he's putting God of War 2 in the marathon. But that hasn't stopped me from putting effort into my run. whether or not the run you wanted was put in the marathon should not stop you from putting forth the effort of playing the game and getting the best time. So that's what I'm doing. I'm going to continue practicing and see if I can put it in bonus stream or something. Besides that you shouldn't feel sad for your game being omitted because you need to look at it from an objective point of view as well. "Will this run be interesting to the thousands of people watching this marathon" is always an important question when creating this marathon line up. The fact that a game is even considered for the marathon should be enough to make the player happy. Hell I was planning a run for Jak and Daxter as well for this marathon. But after going through a few practice runs I realized that the game would be boring to watch and there would probably be a drop in viewer rate. So I asked Mike to cut it. Cause I want this to be entertaining for the audience, I don't care if I can't play anything as long as the marathon is entertaining. Also despite my lack of interest in the game, Skyrim is ridiculously popular. So it should at the very least be considered for a donation incentive or a bonus stream game. That's just my two cents at least
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Quote from mike89:
Also, you of all people should know that there are many more ways to contribute to a marathon than playing a game. Hell, even if you are playing a game, you're still not playing for over 95% of the marathon...

I'm going to have to play devil's advocate on that one and say that if you aren't playing a game, it's hard to justify the cost of flying to DC to participate.  You can help mod the chat from anywhere in the world, and still retire to your own bed at the end of the night.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything (really, I've tried to be a peacemaker in this thread); I'm just saying that it's important on the flip-side to understand that people are going to be disappointed if their games are cut.  Understanding one way has to be matched by understanding the other way.  If you want people to be accepting when their games are cut, and you want people to understand that you're just trying to make the best marathon possible, then you're going to have to understand that people are going to be disappointed and sad.

Really not trying to be an ass, but this has to go two ways.
train kept rollin
Poxnor is good with words ^_^
I understand being upset but it's like I said in my previous post. I'm just tired of everyone going "why was (insert game here) cut!?!?" granted the majority of it has been about skyrim but still. Also I never said I was happy that God of War 2 was the preferred game, I just dealt with it.
Edit history:
mike89: 2012-07-18 05:41:36 pm
SEGA Junkie
Poxnor, as usual, I respect your voice in matters like this, but I'm not entirely sure that what you're saying really addresses what I was getting at. Let me try and explain better...

If we start with the assumption that there are more games that people want to play than can fit in a reasonable marathon span (which has proven to be true every year), then obviously games will have to be cut, since the other option (increasing the length of the marathon) is obviously out of the question. Therefore some people are going to lose games, which is obviously not a good feeling, and especially if they lose all their games they're going to be upset about it.

Now, these people have a few possible courses of action. They can, like The Kilted One above, assume good faith and that the decision was made in the best interest of the marathon. They can, like Chrno, perhaps suggest some further evidence that their game might not have been considered accurately, and present it while still respecting the decision made. Or they can, like Surreal, see the writing on the wall and decide not to attend - an unfortunate, but reasonable response in his circumstances.

What I don't see as a reasonable response is telling people their opinions on cuts are irrelevant because they haven't had a game cut. Or a number of posts I've seen both on the forum and elsewhere suggesting that the marathons' focus is incorrect. These kind of responses suggest a selfish attitude towards what is meant to be a community coming together and working for something bigger than itself.

tl;dr: The marathons are bigger than any one person, and the sooner everyone realises that, the more we'll move ahead with the common purpose of putting on the best event we possibly can.
WOW.
Oh lord, what have I started...
There's an elephant in the room here. I don't know why nobody has suggested the one option that can end all this bickering -- the one course of action with which all parties can agree: delete all the games from the lineup and play Robotrek for six days straight. That intro music is truly the balm to sooth the wounds of this raging beast. PJ, you're up!
Is PJ
Quote from Tom Folino:
There's an elephant in the room here. I don't know why nobody has suggested the one option that can end all this bickering -- the one course of action with which all parties can agree: delete all the games from the lineup and play Robotrek for six days straight. That intro music is truly the balm to sooth the wounds of this raging beast. PJ, you're up!

QFT
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2012-07-18 09:01:47 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Skyrim: It will be a bonus game that can be donated for, so now you can save the run dballin. It's a popular game and it will likely make the donation goal (whatever we make it). Now even if the run is boring, then people will have donated for the boredom. Tongue

dballin: I'm tired of dealing with your bullshit, you're a cool guy in person, but on the forums you're just a whiny bitch who cries about what's happening in the marathon. All you do is just decry marathons and shit all over them without making a single good suggestion. Here, I'll give you one, read the end of mike89's post where he says, " The marathons are bigger than any one person", because that's the truth.

Need another? I'll give you one.

shut the fuck up

If I was putting all of my eggs into one basket with Zelda, then why did I cut Twilight Princess? Yes, there is a lot of Zelda on the schedule, but at the same time, it's not the only thing on the games list. BTW, if you actually looked closely at the games list, you would notice a lot of new games that haven't ever been in a marathon before.

Mike89: Thank you for those posts. You do a good job of putting the marathon in perspective.

Tom Folino: I agree! PJ for president!

EDIT: I cut Oblivion from the schedule since we'll (most likely) be having Skyrim in the marathon.
Oh awesome, thank you for taking everything in the thread into consideration and rethinking Skyrim, Mike.
So I just found out That I will be in Disney Jan. 7th through 15th :\ so unless my run is on the first day of the marathon or very early the 7th, I will not be able to go Cry sorry guys
Pheenoh the mean-o
Quote from cfox7:
So I just found out That I will be in Disney Jan. 7th through 15th :\ so unless my run is on the first day of the marathon or very early the 7th, I will not be able to go Cry sorry guys
While slightly relevant because you are running some games, you probably should have posted this in the attendance topic. Sad I won't get to see you there, though. Sad