--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2012-07-11 09:04:53 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
re Skyrim: Yes it has a massive fanbase, but so do games like Halo and Gears of War and those games get meh responses at the marathon at best. I'm not really sold on Skyrim being a good marahton watch.

re Rayman: Cool!

PJ: Imagine the amount of people who are saying they get sick watching Mohawk in this thread x100, or even x10, and that's why we can't have Mohawk. It's fine for bonus stream, but in a stream with thousands of people I'm sure we will get bombarded with complaints.

qubit: No on Uncharted 2. It's long and it didn't get a great response during AGDQ 2011, though a lot of that was because very easy difficulty was picked.

Isn't bonus play like new game + for GoW 2, so not too challenging? I'm not saying it's a better or worse choice than GoW 1, but I'd like someone who isn't a runner to throw their two cents in.

Surreal: That's fine, but hoping things are less packed in a future marathon is being delusional.

yggdrizzle: Mischief Makers is definitely a cult-classic, but I was wary because it's a grind-heavy game. I probably don't have any more space to put it in the schedule anymore, sorry.

Pheenoh: TP can probably happen next year.

Karls_Friend: Yeah it sucks cutting games, but it has to be done.

neskamikaze: Cool, I'll label it as a bidding war between the two games.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Cool beans on the Rayman war. Here's hoping it brings in 25% what KH/KH2 did!
Edit history:
qubit: 2012-07-12 11:50:27 am
qubit: 2012-07-12 11:49:45 am
qubit: 2012-07-12 11:48:21 am
qubit: 2012-07-11 09:13:34 pm
aka theenglishman
Bonus Play (NG+), even disregarding the ability to skip cutscenes which is not available in newgame, allows for sequence breaks right from the very first map, whereas with newgame you don't get to see any really crazy stuff until you get the Amulet of the Fates, which for newgame would be about an hour in.

EDIT: Derp, just realized you wanted an outside opinion.  I'll just shut up now :/

DOUBLE EDIT: I know I've got no chance of changing your mind, but I figured I'd at least try.  Uncharted 2 got a poor reception in part because there were almost no sequence breaks, but with new discoveries much of the game will look like this

And there is over an hour's worth of sequence breaks just on two sections (the train level and the mountaineering w/ Tenzin level) alone.
May I repeat here my suggestion that, if Earthbound is done this year, a minor prize be awarded to the third highest donor during the game?

Thanks
Luc "Stupid Ideas" French
Excited to see that the Timesplitters: Future Perfect run made it in. And oh Mike, I said before that Enkazin and I were unsure about whether we were going to do a normal or a hard mode run, but we're 100% settled on hard mode now.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Karls_Friend: Yeah it sucks cutting games, but it has to be done.

Not fronting, just trying to reassure anyone who might have felt bitter about them. No cuts are positive. Anyways, should we suggest our donation incentives here, or would that be jumping the gun a little?
Edit history:
André: 2012-07-11 10:56:52 pm
André: 2012-07-11 10:56:01 pm
Main Work!!!
I wanted to tell you to decrease the Amnesia: The Dark Descent estimate, I just did a test run, I mess up like I never did, I try a lot of thing around and lose time on trick that were like almost on TASable during a couple of minutes and I got a final time of 45 minutes, so I think 45 minutes could be a good estimate(including set up) unless we do a donation war on whether the people want 100% or Any%.

Also, I realized that I wasn't the Best Super Monkey Ball 2 player(Duhh... but more like I was pretty average(I saw vids on the net)), so either I would Advice Miles to take my place or the run would be very good but I'm pretty sure he could be better than I am on this game, There is some strat that aren't reliable to me ATM.

Finally, for Super Mario Sunshine, everything is fine, I'm still Descent at this game(got 1:41:32 earlier today) should go better at the marathon and I'm also(Still) looking forward participating at the 4P Scott Pilgrim, I've been practicing with normal Scott and everything went very good, the only detail I need is if this is going to be a NG or NG+?
Not a walrus
50 minutes is close enough that I wouldn't touch the estimate on Amnesia.
dabes
Well, I was just saying, this one seemed more packed than usual. Either way, no hard feelings.
Fine! I don't need your stupid marathon anyways! I'm taking my talents to MAG Fest, where the REAL men go. And cancer research? HAH. Thanks for adding to my funds for booze and bitches!

... In all seriousness, I'm cool with the cuts. My estimate was a really rough guess that is sure to go down, but it is still a pretty easy game to cut when compared to the rest of the lineup. I'll update my estimate later anyways for posterity's sake. If nothing else, I'll be sure to have a really badass run that the people chilling in the practice room can enjoy.
#Casual
It is because there are so few slots for all the games everyone wants to run that we need to rotate through games every marathon.  I'm very sure Mike knows this and is doing his best to carefully manage runner opportunities, game popularity and money-making ability, and so forth.  I'll just put it out that I would gladly give up one, or maybe both of my game spaces if it means someone new can get his run in...
Quote from tjp7154:
It is because there are so few slots for all the games everyone wants to run that we need to rotate through games every marathon.  I'm very sure Mike knows this and is doing his best to carefully manage runner opportunities, game popularity and money-making ability, and so forth.  I'll just put it out that I would gladly give up one, or maybe both of my game spaces if it means someone new can get his run in...

Winners have no obligation to show sympathy towards the losers.

If your game is in: Congratulations, you are there for a reason. Hold your head up high and run the crap out of your game. If you feel bad that your game is in while other people didn't get to be in: Slap yourself in the face immediately. You are a winner, what do you care?

If your game is not in: Deal with it. Either run your game better and prove to people that it deserves attention, or run a different game. If you instead try to argue that your game is more deserving than a game that made the cut: Go ahead and call your local WAAAAAAAHmbulance.
Feudal Family Lord
Quote from ButtersBB:
Fine! I don't need your stupid marathon anyways! I'm taking my talents to MAG Fest, where the REAL men go. And cancer research? HAH. Thanks for adding to my funds for booze and bitches!

... In all seriousness, I'm cool with the cuts. My estimate was a really rough guess that is sure to go down, but it is still a pretty easy game to cut when compared to the rest of the lineup. I'll update my estimate later anyways for posterity's sake. If nothing else, I'll be sure to have a really badass run that the people chilling in the practice room can enjoy.

I'll always watch that Smiley
Not a walrus
Quote from ButtersBB:
Winners have no obligation to show sympathy towards the losers.

If your game is in: Congratulations, you are there for a reason. Hold your head up high and run the crap out of your game. If you feel bad that your game is in while other people didn't get to be in: Slap yourself in the face immediately. You are a winner, what do you care?

If your game is not in: Deal with it. Either run your game better and prove to people that it deserves attention, or run a different game. If you instead try to argue that your game is more deserving than a game that made the cut: Go ahead and call your local WAAAAAAAHmbulance.

I realize you're probably kidding but this post is really not helping. At all.
The late cuts, if still ready by marathon time, could be top candidates for bonus stream if nothing else.
I'd honestly rather not do a bidding war between the 2 GoWs as that is the only game I'd be running and if I don't play then I'd feel silly spending all that money and coming out when I could have just saved that money up and spent it on the charity itself. So if GoW1 gets cut this year then I can just spend the next year practicing it and getting it down even more for next year. Otherwise I'll have it ready for this January. But if Englishman plays GoW2 then more power to him as well cause I do enjoy that one a lot as well. Either way at least a GoW game gets in.
ALSO! legit question here but why are there so many lengthy games? I understand that you guys don't want the awful games to run thin but that could also be said for the actually good games too couldn't it? I mean I tend to lose interest in speed runs that take longer than 2 1/2 hours, but I know I don't speak for everyone else of course. It's just that 10+ hours are already being dedicated to FF9 alone so I am just trying to understand why Ocarina of Time full game or Earthbound full game would be in when both of them have been at previous marathons. Granted neither were the full game but that's besides the point. Iunno, I'm just some noob who is confused and rambling.
train kept rollin
I think cutting Mohawk is a bad choice.  And I'm not just saying that because i <3 PJ. The sheer novelty of it makes it ideal for the marathon. 
I would also cut Zelda OoT, Mario 64, Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG to name a few as they seem to have been at every AGDQ and SGDQ for at least the last two years. Also do we really need 3 Tony Hawk game at AGDQ?
Fucking Weeaboo
OOT has always been a huge money maker and it's considered by the fans one of the best games of all time. It will be less of a draw this year given it's not Cosmo running it (11k at AGDQ2011...can't top that!).  Feasel running SMW (BTW is it a handoff or a race?) and Cyghfer running SMRPG will be/are big draws, so no worries there.  That being said, I do wonder about having 3 Tony Hawk games.  How different are they from each other?
A 6 hour 00T is still too long
Edit history:
Chrno: 2012-07-12 08:29:10 am
WOW.
Quote from kfcman:
I would also cut Zelda OoT, Mario 64, Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG to name a few as they seem to have been at every AGDQ and SGDQ for at least the last two years. Also do we really need 3 Tony Hawk game at AGDQ?

Zelda and Mario games are a must as they bring in loads of money for the charity. And there is always a TH block at AGDQ, they play to a popular audience, these ones have not been played before. OoT last year gave us 12,000 viewers by the way, and this year I would expect more.
<(^_^)>
And also consider this: every OoT run has been completely different. We've had a 4-person any% race, an MST run, and now a 100% run which runnerguy and pheenoh are going to absolutey pwn.

Super Mario World and SMRPG I can see being questioned (they should still make it, considering how popular they are), but SM64 is practically as important as OoT.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Metal Gear Solid: Sorry Slade, but 3 is the fan favorite, and even though Twin Snakes isn't quite the same game, it's still similar.

OK
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
I should have mentioned this earlier, but MTPO is in the main schedule. I thought it was going to be a bonus game. If it ends up being main schedule that will be fine because I have an awesome prize for it and I think Mercury agreed to make a King Hippo plushie. Although two prizes for such a short game is probably overkill.