--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from cfox7:
unless my run is on the first day of the marathon or very early the 7th

Do not underestimate the scheduling prowess of Mike Uyama. Smiley
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I can schedule sm64 for the first day if necessary, cfox7.
ok, I really appreciate that. Also sorry if i did post this in the wrong topic embarassed
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Mike89,

I would like to sincerely apologize to you, and to the rest of the community, for misreading your original post.  The way I misread it rubbed me the wrong way, and that was why I made my somewhat-flippant last post.  Having read your clarification, I see that I totally misinterpreted your original message (I misread it as: "STFU, your game is cut, you should be happy anyway"), and I did a serious disservice to you and everyone else by replying the way that I did.  If you would be willing to forgive me, I would really appreciate that.

Cheers
--Poxnor
Edit history:
Trekhaak: 2012-07-19 02:55:57 am
Trekhaak: 2012-07-19 02:55:21 am
Everybody's favorite monster
Quote from Poxnor:
I'm going to have to play devil's advocate on that one and say that if you aren't playing a game, it's hard to justify the cost of flying to DC to participate.  You can help mod the chat from anywhere in the world, and still retire to your own bed at the end of the night.

For me the marathon is all about meeting and hanging out with the people i love and meeting new people who i am going to love. The marathon and the whole charity thing is secondary for me(dont get me wrong i think the amount of money we raise is amazing and we should never stop doing it.) Might sound a bit sellfish but i dont care. Totally worth the money.
Totally rad
Quote from Trekhaak:
For me the marathon is all about meeting and hanging out with the people i love and meeting new people who i am going to love. The marathon and the whole charity thing is secondary for me(dont get me wrong i think the amount of money we raise is amazing and we should never stop doing it.) Might sound a bit sellfish but i dont care. Totally worth the money.

Took the words right out of my mouth. This is what the marathon's about for me; not the money or the viewer count, but just good fun with people that I like.
for me its about finding random peppers in my coat hood
Main Work!!!
btw, I wanted to say Thanks MikeU for everything you do, your planning is perfect in my opinion, you do an insane work every years for every marathon and no matter what decision you take, all the marathon always goes very well and that's why I think everyone should be thrusting you and thanks you for everything you do for SDA and for us.

About the marathon, last year, I came with two of my friends from Canada, none of us played any game, we almost die in a car accident Tongue and we all say after that trip that it was one of the greatest experience we had in a very long time, the people there are friendly and you "feel right at home" like we could say. Even when you're not playing games you'll be proud of people achieving the game you love and all the donation this will bring, you'll feel like you would be with your family of gamer from around the world and there will be a lot of unforgettable good experience, that I'm sure will be remember for the rest of your life. The marathon is about having fun and meeting people, you'll be doing some nice side thing too like playing monkey ball with people there, racing games in the new york room, seeing your new friends speedrunning their games, seeing the donation break the new records, PEPPERS and feeling proud of helping cancer overall. btw, good message Mike89 and <3 you all SDA!!!
Wiiaboo
I think Uyama deserves huge props too. He doesn't get enough thanks for what he does for the marathons and SDA in general.

That said, I am never thrusting him.
WOW.
Quote from Kiyura:
I think Uyama deserves huge props too. He doesn't get enough thanks for what he does for the marathons and SDA in general.

This.
Totally rad
Quote from Chrno:
Quote from Kiyura:

This.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
"My Link only thrusts" - DW
Cmon guys, Mike is a very thrustworthy guy.
Talk to the Hand
I'll thrust Uyama all day every day, if you know what I mean. Wink
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2012-07-19 11:33:56 am
mikwuyma: 2012-07-19 11:33:37 am
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Thanks everyone!

I'm not too sure what to think about the thrusting though, I thought only Trekhaak was allowed to do that. Lips Sealed
Edit history:
PJ: 2012-07-19 11:42:17 am
Is PJ
Sad

Quote:
I'm not too sure what to think about the thrusting though, I thought only Trekhaak was allowed to do that.
Edit history:
sonikku: 2012-07-19 11:52:04 am
Quote from Emptyeye:
I'll thrust Uyama all day every day, if you know what I mean. Wink

^ thumbsup

we love you mike Kiss

Quote from PJ:
Sad

why so blue panda bear?

edit: i was gonna edit this out since it's no longer in context, but then i found it's still in context since pj is a big panda bear
Professional Second Banana
As usual the TDR avatars are omniscient.
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2012-07-19 12:36:49 pm
Heidrage: 2012-07-19 12:36:19 pm
Willing to teach you the impossible
Wow I have been away for a bit... Let me recap...

Quote from Trekhaak:

I think Everyone I talk to about this event can say I believe this too. When I saw my games were not on the schedule I was bumed, but it is not why I attend. I will admit my first time at a marathon i wanted to be on camera as much as I could. This last year I had a few friends texting me threw the entire event "where are you? I dont see you on ever..." I was having fun talking with ppl, humping Trihex, playing new games I never herd of, and meeting ppl I need to thank here again (Funkdock, Eternalsperit, and Carcinogen, and everyone who helped me threw my really really hard times. I cant say how much I love you for the support everyone game me). The only reason I have a game on teh list is because Mayor K wanted to produce a co-op run with me and we told mike about it, he was all for it but we were gunna do it anyway.

Quote from Kiyura:

Not just mike, but everyone that is involved in the background (admin or not). The site and community is what keeps this place alive and we are a dysfunctional family but I would not have it any other way. But I do agree that the higher ups do way more that some ppl realize and they dont get the gratitude they have earned.

PS: Sorry if my spelling is really bad right now, I am kind of in a hurry... But I felt like this needed to be said.
Hi, a long time viewer of the streams (the first AGDQ was my first stream I watched) and appreciate the efforts you guys do for these marathons. One game that struck me as a bit odd is the addition of Starcraft 2. It seems very out of place and I don't really get what you're trying to do with the game, especially dropping some games that would seem a bit more fun to watch, imo. To the untrained eye, Starcraft 2 doesn't really make sense gameplay wise, and many people who do get Starcraft 2 as a spectator sport, aren't really ever interested in the Single Player portion of the game. I know for a fact that many progamers have never really played much more than 30 minutes of gameplay just because of the very few times Starcraft 2 has been down for maintenance. Personally I feel that it wouldn't be a very popular run, doesn't seem like many people would be interested in RTS single player portions, and if they would they'd very much probably rather play the game themselves. I feel that many other games would have a better viewer interaction and stimulation.
spread the dirt to the populace
To add onto the above post, I know some people who are part of the Starcraft community and many more who are casual viewers, and I have been asking them about this.  Not one of them has said they would want to watch a single-player speedrun.  More importantly, not one of them has said many other people would be interested.

tl;dr version of the answers I get - the esports crowd isn't going to care because that audience is all about the competitive scene and the pro personalities, and pros don't play single-player.  And if you think you'll get some sort of uber-casual audience that likes SC2 but not competitive SC2, you are sorely mistaken; these types of gamers tend to move on from games quickly, so SC2 is old news with this crowd (hell, Diablo 3 has already gotten old with them!).  It isn't much of an exaggeration to say that the esports audience is the only audience for SC2 at this point.

I have yet to hear any arguments in response to these and, as someone who knows virtually nothing about Starcraft myself, am genuinely curious about this.
Willing to teach you the impossible
I do agree that a fast pace movements are really really hard to follow when you dont know the game well, and even most well trained spectators can have a hard time following with the hot key commands not show on the screen (except in the bottom right corner where the action is NOT taking place... who looks there?). But I can say that BW and SC2 are my most favorite things to watch as a sport (except when it is a thrown game) and I do play at aprox 180 apm both games. Seeing how fast the campaign can be done, along with just flat out how hard some of the maps are (the terran one with the huge cannon was a real pain for me) can be a fun watch. Not to mention that SC has a rather large fan base (what Bliz game does not). So it with a marathon in mind, we want to appeal to as many fan bases as we can. And being that this is the first time it is in the marathon, we can just see how it pans out.

As to Josh, I think I would agree with this as well. But I am that weird odd person that really would like to see this.
Edit history:
Lee: 2012-07-21 09:52:25 pm
In regards to SC2:

The run has a lot of things going for it. Freezard has a thread on Team Liquid regarding his BW run ILs. It was pretty well received, and I think that as long as you have played Starcraft, there's going to be some interest in the single player, even if they don't know it yet. Secondly, while "Starcraft 2 done quick" is mildly interesting, "Starcraft 2 done quick by Raelcun of Iccup fame" is extremely interesting. I don't know if he can commentate and play at the same time, but if he thinks he can then that'd be fantastic.

As for people outside of the ESports/TL crowd, there's room for concern there. However, I feel that that particular demographic of the population would be the most receptive of a campaign run. The casual player who bought SC2, played through the campaign, played multiplayer for a month or 2, then quit. For those people, I'd imagine that this run is ideal. That's a target audience that we haven't had the opportunity to focus on in SC2, and I'm interested in seeing the turnout for this.
spread the dirt to the populace
I don't have a huge post in me right now.  I'll probably have more to say tomorrow, as I've been thinking about some of this stuff for a while.

For now, I'll just point out something very important that a lot of people here seem to miss: mainstream gamers don't watch our marathons.  Look at the reception Halo got (even when played competently), and look at which games are most often requested every year.  SDA's stuff is way too nerdy for the Modern Warfare bros or your buddies who pop in Rock Band once in awhile, and those are basically the kind of people who bought SC2 and did things besides vs. play.

So, again, I think the value of this run is going to depend on whether the esports crowd tunes in.  Everyone who plays or watches SC whom I've talked to has said it's a terrible idea, but if teamliquid is really on board with this there could be more potential than they realize.  From what I understand this 4+ hour estimate indicates a 100% run, though, and I still wonder why that would be necessary.
Totally rad
People played Goldeneye for the multiplayer. Does that mean it will make for a bad speed run, and will make everyone leave all of a sudden? I highly doubt it. If the run is sufficiently cool to watch, I'm sure people will stick around. Not an SC2 fan myself, but I've been told the run is an impressive piece of work so I'm behind having it in the marathon. The marathons to some degree represent speed running as a whole; showing an RTS game could show people that it goes well beyond the usual NES/SNES/Genesis platformers/RPGs.