Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213141516 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 16 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I may be in the minority here, but I would rather watch a single player speedrun of SC2 than multiplayer. I am fairly sure that the run will get plenty of viewers anyway, so this is really a non-issue.
I think the schedule looks well done. There are a lot of new games and most of the previously played ones will be different. Really looking forward to the Mario walkathon. Good job, Mike.

Also, I think the SC2 run will be interesting to see, myself.
SGL Scrublord
Heh, guess I won't be learning DMC3 for Summer Games...time to start digging again.
Edit history:
ButtersBB: 2012-07-22 08:38:30 am
ButtersBB: 2012-07-22 08:36:02 am
I made subtle hints towards this before, but I did not go further because I have not seen the game run before, so I cannot accurately attest to the entertainment value of the game.

However, I may as well comment now that the issue has come to the forefront. Everything that Funkdoc and Mizuki have said completely mirrors my thoughts on SC2. The very first thing I thought when I saw it was "This year's Halo."

I love fighting games, and everyone who buys fighting games goes through the 1 player mode at some point. However, noone has seriously considered a fighter for a marathon, because all of the interesting aspects of competitive f.ighting do not really apply to a one player run. SC2 is similar in this regard, only it is way longer and way harder to understand what is going on.

If it does have strong Team Liquid support, then it may be worthwhile, since Team Liquid demonstrated their strength at the last marathon. I sincerely hope that it has some seriously badass commentary, considering the length and complicated nature of the run.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I'm not going to lie, I was wary of Starcraft 2 on the schedule because it's so long for what it is. That estimate isn't even for 100% (whatever that would be), it's just the time it takes to beat the campaign. If the game was an hour or two shorter, then I would be a lot more comfortable with it.

However, as people have mentioned, we do get strong support from Team Liquid at marathons, and like Lee said, if Raelcun can commentate while playing, I think SC2 would at least be worth trying. If there's no good commentary, then SC2 is definitely not worth doing, because it is too hard to follow without commentary.

The mainstream thing: I can't say I really agree with you, Josh. The games that get the best response might not be the current generation games, but they're the games that everyone played in previous generations, such as Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. It's not like Ocarina of Time is some little cult-classic, it's a game that almost always ends up number 1 (or close to it) in top games of all time lists. There were also a lot of Skyrim references in both chat and donation comments throughout AGDQ.

My guess on Halo and other modern FPS is that they get bad responses because those games are so divisive in the first place. A lot of people who played older FPSes hate modern FPS because modern FPS are mostly cover-based and slower-paced.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Quote from mikwuyma:
My guess on Halo and other modern FPS is that they get bad responses because those games are so divisive in the first place. A lot of people who played older FPSes hate modern FPS because modern FPS are mostly cover-based and slower-paced.

UT '04 and Kill Zone 1 were my FPS of choice. Never played anything after Halo 2. Not for the reason you mentioned, just because I noticed that the game play was almost the same for each one, just slightly modified. Could have easily just did a game patch to the original and had a new game. Same for most racing games and madden games and such. Just my opinion.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
I personally never got into modern FPS's for reasons I couldn't (and don't really care enough to) fathom. My understanding of older FPS's is (or was) that the fastest strats got you killed 999/1000 times, although it seems that you can have marathon-safe strats which are still reasonably quick now. 

I'm not sure that the modern FPS games have that really, I think most of the current fanbase is in it for the multiplayer matches rather than campaign speedrunning. I've only ever played Halo and CoD games in multiplayer and didn't even recognise the single-player campaign except for the vague resemblance to that map i played once!
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2012-07-22 05:14:58 pm
thethrillness.blogspot.com
No one elected for Resident Evil (surely someone there would run?) but you can fit in 8 Mario games and 4 Zelda games? Sad

I don't agree with RE4 being dropped at all, especially with the reasons given. You can show much more stuff even in the main game. Have you even considered the additional content like Assignment Ada/SW?

Not complaining in how this is run or game choice since it is too late but it just puts off people such as myself from watching the marathons/donating who do not like the "popular" games mentioned above. I would just like a better variety from the people who attend and run for the future.
Quote from mikwuyma:
I'm not going to lie, I was wary of Starcraft 2 on the schedule because it's so long for what it is.

However, as people have mentioned, we do get strong support from Team Liquid at marathons, and like Lee said, if Raelcun can commentate while playing, I think SC2 would at least be worth trying. If there's no good commentary, then SC2 is definitely not worth doing, because it is too hard to follow without commentary.

On the topic of SC2: I just wanted to point out that Raelcun was a noted Starcraft caster, i.e. his job was commentary. So I wouldn't imagine that that would be a problem. In years past, Flicky has started a pretty successful AGDQ topic on teamliquid that has gotten a good bit of support during marathons (including that ESPORTS bidding war that brought in a lot of money). Given Raelcun's status, I wonder whether the AGDQ stream might even have the potential to be posted on TL's frontpage streams list during his run? That would be worth it alone.
Knowing Raelcun personally, I'd like to believe that he is going to pull many strings to make that run far more popular than anyone expected. We'll see when the time comes though won't we?
Carl: I know he was a caster for SC2 (FXO, right?), but that doesn't necessarily mean he does a good job of commentating while he is playing.

The Kilted One's post reminded me that I went with God of War 2 instead of God of War 1. I told The Kilted one this, and he seemed okay with it.

AnubisGI: We've had a bunch of RE games in past marathons and they get decent crowd reactions, but nothing great. We've made room for a lot of other games and series that haven't been in past marathons such as 3D Ninja Gaiden, God of War, MGS3, and Spyro.
More useful than it ought to be.
Kind of a long post here, but bear with me.

After seeing Bastion do so well during the Steam Summer Sale, I kind of feel like I should make one final plea for Bastion. Bastion is insanely popular right now. On several separate occasions, I saw Bastion go up as a flash sale during the Steam Summer Sale for 75% off; one of those times was when it was voted by the community to be the next “community choice” sale. Steam themselves have shown that when a game goes on sale for 75% off, the sales figures go up hugely, and the fact that during the summer sale Bastion was up for 75% at least three times means that it probably got a huge amount of exposure during the past week or so. Couple that with the success of Humble Bundle V, and Bastion may be one of the most popular indie games around right now. In fact, there was a fairly big thread/survey on Reddit about two weeks ago that placed Bastion 52nd on the 100 all-time greatest games list (http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/whci4/the_top_100_games_of_all_time_according_to_rgaming/). Now, its placement may very well be due to how recently the game came out, but it definitely shows that there is an audience for Bastion, and I personally believe now is the time to capitalize on its popularity.

As far as donation incentives go, I think Bastion has some really great and obvious ones: donations for an all idols run, for the secondary weapon I would use (I’d absolutely need the pike for a majority of the skips), what ending would be chosen, whether to save Zulf, and possible sing-a-long for “Build that Wall” and for “Setting Sail, Coming Home.” People who have played the game would probably also pay to see the machete proving ground get demolished. Prizes for Bastion might be a little difficult, but I’d be willing to throw in for a few Steam keys for the game or commission a pearler, plushie, or whatnot to be made as a prize.

Finally, Mike’s reasoning for cutting Bastion was “great game, not fun to watch.” I definitely saw where you were coming from, but I’d like to offer more of a rebuttal to that than I did in my previous post here. A lot of the game is definitely rolled straight through, but that’s where I think the fun in watching a run of this would come from. There are a lot of barriers in the game that require you to pick up an item or a weapon to get it to open or to clear out X amount of monsters to open it. The current NG+ routes bypass a huge majority of those. A lot of these skips would be entertaining for players familiar with the game (and maybe even those not familiar with it) because of how nifty they are. Shoot, between me, redbuddha, tamik, ClockworkSeal, and LaywerDog, new skips and routes are still being discovered over in the Bastion thread. Redbuddha’s current sub 50:00 run in that thread showcases a lot of those skips, but even that run doesn’t feature some of the newer stuff we have been finding.

TL;DR- Bastion is insanely popular right now. I think there are good donation incentives for a run of it, and I think all the skips that would be showcased in a NG+ run would be very entertaining.

Anyway, I know how much work goes into organizing a behemoth of a marathon like this, and we all do appreciate it a shit-ton, Mike. I do hope you reconsider your stance on Bastion in the marathon because I’d love to contribute a run to it, but I would not be distraught if it still doesn’t make it in. Just seeing it on sale several times during the Steam Summer Sale made me want to push for it one last time.
Quote from mikwuyma:
The Kilted One's post reminded me that I went with God of War 2 instead of God of War 1. I told The Kilted one this, and he seemed okay with it.

NO! I WANT MY GAME IN THE MARATHON! RAGHRAGHRAGHGAHRGHRAG! Ok I'll stop now, no more jokes about this subject
spread the dirt to the populace
Quote from mikwuyma:

Yeah, I hadn't realized what a big deal Team Liquid is.  I wasn't aware that they were behind the big FF7 donations - for some reason I had thought that was all on the eLive crew.  I can definitely understand the idea a lot more in that case, just hope it goes over well with the rest of our viewers!

Quote:
The mainstream thing: I can't say I really agree with you, Josh. The games that get the best response might not be the current generation games, but they're the games that everyone played in previous generations, such as Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. It's not like Ocarina of Time is some little cult-classic, it's a game that almost always ends up number 1 (or close to it) in top games of all time lists. There were also a lot of Skyrim references in both chat and donation comments throughout AGDQ.

I didn't communicate my point well enough, sorry!  Basically I'm arguing that the core marathon audience is mainstream internet nerds as opposed to mainstream gamers.  There's a good bit of overlap between those demographics - all the games you mentioned above as well as Final Fantasy are examples of games that broke into the mainstream while remaining beloved among the internet crowd.  I think God of War and Skyrim also fit well into this category.

But there are games that are what I would call "man on the street" famous (i.e. if you go out and ask random people you'll find a good number who've heard of the game) but don't translate to that internet audience that makes up our backbone.  Think Halo/CoD/Madden (yeah I know)/etc.  Even GTA seems this way to some extent from what I understand, which is why I'd be very skeptical of it even for marathons that don't care about being "family-friendly".

This gets into a bunch of other stuff regarding games which I think could work for us even if they didn't sell a ton, but that would be a big ol' derail and I'd rather not do that here!  Glad to get some clarification regarding SC2 at least.
Edit history:
Raelcun: 2012-07-24 10:21:26 am
Raelcun: 2012-07-24 10:16:39 am
Raelcun: 2012-07-24 10:16:01 am
We require more minerals
Quote from mikwuyma:
I'm not going to lie, I was wary of Starcraft 2 on the schedule because it's so long for what it is. That estimate isn't even for 100% (whatever that would be), it's just the time it takes to beat the campaign. If the game was an hour or two shorter, then I would be a lot more comfortable with it.

Starcraft 2 should be entertaining for people who have played the game, and it should be impressive looking for those who haven't. A lot of the missions which were being posted about on the forums as being "impossible on brutal" or requiring large detours to get better units I am completely destroying with seemingly no effort. There are also a few missions where it looks like I will die a horrible death then barely survive etc. I should be able to commentate while playing, if not, I can also recruit some friends who will be there to help.

To give an idea there is an achievement in game for speedrunning the game and it is set at 8 hours. This is set at 4 hours because of real time shenanigans, I can't count on the computer there being good enough to load quickly which will add a decent amount of time on a game like SC2 but also gives me time to explain things. I also have to do stuff in menus between missions etc.

Basically I'm pretty confident I can make this entertaining for people who have played the game which is a large number of people. Sorry for not really being active on the forum recently but to answer the question of my commentary status it's partially because I am actually working on an upcoming tournament right now.

edit: Also playing on Brutal is about 5-10x easier than it sounds/seems. A lot of people have expressed concern over the safety of my run, it's not very risky at all even though it looks risky at several points (which is a bonus right?)
Edit history:
Aftermath: 2012-07-24 11:30:26 am
Quits halfway
I'll be bringing my Samsung 128GB SSD, so hopefully that will help with loading on PC games, will just have to swap some in/out as space allows. Still not sure what kind of PC will be there, it's too bad I can't ship mine over Sad
Gimme some sugar Shaggy!
Let's hope there's not another Deathfire-induced disaster type problem at AGDQ 13 like with what happened with Aquaria.
Insane Killer Robot
If I had seen what UA had done for Typing of the Dead when it was having technical issues, then the issues with Aquaria wouldn't have happened (or it would've taken a lot less time).  But PC games seem to be plagued by problems for streaming as it is.  The PC setup just needs to get tested for stream-readiness before the marathon starts, unlike what was done previously.

In any case, I have to say that the game lineup is solid and Mike deserves a lot of credit for making sure that things go as smoothly as they do in terms of the schedule.
Edit history:
Aftermath: 2012-07-24 04:00:07 pm
Quits halfway
I can bring my AverTV Game Broadcaster HD (unless someone else has one/buys one), which should simplify PC things. In the stream computer, it'll just be a camera source in Xsplit and accepts pretty much every PC res over HDMI (1080p being the only real thing missing from the card used before). That way you can just output from the game-playing PC to an HDMI splitter, the one to the monitor and one to the capture card. From there, the person playing can just fullscreen the game at whatever res they'd want. It can have a bit of screen tearing compared to PC screen capture, but it's not a bad solution for how easy it is.
Not a walrus
We don't need an HDMI capture card, there's one in the streaming computer already. Fullscreen isn't a solution with some games, but thankfully that seems to be relatively rare.
All the things
Quote from Aftermath:
I can bring my AverTV Game Broadcaster HD (unless someone else has one/buys one), which should simplify PC things. In the stream computer, it'll just be a camera source in Xsplit and accepts pretty much every PC res over HDMI (1080p being the only real thing missing from the card used before). That way you can just output from the game-playing PC to an HDMI splitter, the one to the monitor and one to the capture card. From there, the person playing can just fullscreen the game at whatever res they'd want. It can have a bit of screen tearing compared to PC screen capture, but it's not a bad solution for how easy it is.

I have one too that I was planning to bring, complete with computer for direct capture recording purposes. Not going to worry about the rest until equipment thread pops up though.
We require more minerals
If people are still worried about Starcraft 2 and its abililty to be showcased in AGDQ, let me say this to hopefully ease your mind. The reason I did not propose it last year or SGDQ was a combination of two things. I wasn't 100% sure I could attend, but more importantly, I wasn't confident I could make a good show of it. This time I am, Starcraft is my job, and I am confident that I can make it an entertaining game for the marathon and put up a good time.
EasilyAmus3d: I'm still not sold. A lot of the rolling through might look like just that, rolling through without there being much visual indication that a skip actually happened. I'm aware Bastion is popular, but I'm not confident that would translate into popular watch.

Raelcun: No need to worry. I'm pretty much set on including Starcraft 2 for AGDQ as long as there is commentary. The only thing is that I might do is split it up into two parts.

Josh: Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I remember CoD has been proposed for marathons before and I've rejected it because I was pretty sure it would bomb hard.
We require more minerals
That might be a little awkward but I can work with that, just tell me if you do so I can figure out where a good place to cut it is.
More useful than it ought to be.
No worries, Mike. I understand. Marathon's still gonna kick ass.