--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
VorpalEdge: 2012-08-18 08:43:37 pm
welcome to the machine
yes, I think there's no skill in running FPSs.  That was definitely the point of my post.  I will attempt to explain again, this time concisely, because I've already sunk some time into this: the game is fairly unknown, we simply don't know how easy to follow/impressive it would be to viewers, we're worried about commentary (which is extremely important for less popular games), and we had other choices.

In any case, I told you to not reply with an argument for a reason.  Since this thread has to keep serving a functional purpose, future posts on this subject will be deleted.  I really don't blame you for wanting to highlight lesser-known games, but the show must go on.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2012-08-18 09:30:54 pm
Not a walrus
The next time anybody complains about not enough new content, I'm just going to respond with this list of games that have never been played before, with a star to mark series (or just solo games) that have never been seen before either.

Note: May be slightly inaccurate, I didn't check the schedule for every previous event.

Amnesia (*)
Ape Escape (*)
Batman
Battle Kid (*)
Battletoads Double Dragon
Bayou Billy (*)
Binding of Isaac (*)
Bio Force Ape (*)
Blaster Master 2
Braid (*)
Captain Comic
Commander Keen 5
Commander Keen 6
Conker's Bad Fur Day (*)
Darksiders (*)
Dark Souls
Descent (*)
Devil May Cry 3
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Doom II
Earnest Evans (*)
Ecco the Dolphin (*)
Fallout
Fallout 2
Final Fantasy IX
F-Zero GX
Gimmick! (*)
God of War 2 (*)
Goldeneye (*)
Goof Troop (*)
Incredible Crash Dummies (*)
Jet Set Radio Future (*)
Journey to Silius (*)
Little Nemo: The Dream Master (*)
Mega Man 7 vs 8
MegaMari (*)
Metal Gear Solid 3
New Super Mario Bros
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden Black
Okami (*)
Pac-Man 2 (*)
Pokemon Gold
Ratchet and Clank
Rayman/Rayman Origins
Ren and Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention (*)
Scott Pilgrim (*)
Shadow Complex (*)
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Generations
Spiderman/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge (*)
Spyro: Ripto's Rage (*?)
Starcraft 2 (*)
Super Mario Sunshine
Taz-Mania (*)
The Ninja Kids (*)
Timesplitters: Future Perfect (*)
Trials: Evolution
Trine (*)
Umihara Kawase (*)
Zelda: Wind Waker
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Vorpaledge: Let's just be honest and admit that people don't like watching modern FPS. People love watching Quake, Doom, and Duke Nukem 3D, but I haven't seen Halo or Gears of War get a good response. Yes commentary can help some games, but even with good commentary people I'm pretty sure people wouldn't have liked watching Halo Reach anyway.

I could do without the crying about obscure games. You and I both know RKA is not the most popular game ever, and while it's a good watch at times, it also has auto-scrollers.

Nobility: No one knows Marathon outside of people who were gaming with Macs in the 90's and that is a very tiny amount of people. Especially when you consider how big Doom and Quake were in the mid-90's. The standards for accepting FPS games are the same as other marathon games. The game has to be well-liked and somewhat popular (at least a cult-classic), and the game should be a good watch.

Quote from Nobility:
There's an odd appreciation when it comes to obscure games due to the fact none of them get supported yet players still stay dedicated to run them.

You answered your question about why no Marathon when you said obscure games don't get supported.

UraniumAnchor: Hey it's Earnest Evans. Angry Seriously though, thank you UA for pointing out that there are a lot of new games and series in AGDQ 2013 that haven't been in previous marathons. People just focus on particular games being (or not being) in the marathon without looking at the bigger picture. The only inaccuracy I could find was that Contra: HCU was played at JRDQ.
Not a walrus
Oops.

Still, I think we all know you'd play a game called Earest Evans, too.
Quits halfway
Don't forget that Diddy Kong Racing was the best game/run played in JRDQ.
Quote from mikwuyma:
The game has to be well-liked

Oops, guess Sonic 06 is out. :<
Not a walrus
People like to hate it, so that counts.
Quote from Nobility:
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
People like to hate it, so that counts.

Shameful.

Shameful? Really? Paraxade was being snarky, and UA provided an appropriately snarky response. 06 is garbage but makes for an entertaining run, this isn't striking new grounds.

As someone who adores obscure games, I just have this to say: Enough. You are making fans of obscure games look bad.
DS Dictator
I want to tell you something interesting. While I've been getting ~in-game times of 1h 10 on 100% Shadow Complex, I am getting a real time recording of 1h 20m. This is mainly because everytime you pick up an item expansion, the game slows down for a few seconds which will build up for a couple of minutes after ~110 slowdowns.
Is PJ
Butters +1
aka theenglishman
Quote from Greenalink:
I want to tell you something interesting. While I've been getting ~in-game times of 1h 10 on 100% Shadow Complex, I am getting a real time recording of 1h 20m. This is mainly because everytime you pick up an item expansion, the game slows down for a few seconds which will build up for a couple of minutes after ~110 slowdowns.

How about a donation incentive for having us do the Metroid item jingle every time we get a pickup?
train kept rollin
That sounds really annoying and not something i would want to ask people to pay money for.
Is PJ
Quote from Pootrain:
That sounds really annoying and not something i would want to ask people to pay money for.

^
DS Dictator
Sorry qubit but I have to agree with Pootrain. A Metroid jingle is a no-no.
Just giving official agreement on what the last three posters said. That donation incentive sounds more irritating than anything else. Speaking of that, we should make a donation incentives topic soon.
Shadow Complex: Omochao Edition. Sounds like a plan.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Quote from Greenalink:
Sorry qubit but I have to agree with Pootrain. A Metroid jingle is a no-no.

There's only a few items in Arkham City - perhaps you can hum a jingle or the Zelda "got item" theme when I get one there?  Shouldn't get too old then Wink
Quote from Greenalink:

Fun fact, in SM 100%, there are just over 11 minutes of item jingle. There are too many missiles in that game. Further more, my average run is about 32 minutes realtime over the gametime counter, meaning there is 21 minutes of door transitions, cut scenes, lag, and pause screens (roughly in that order) in the run.
Yep yep yep!
Honestly, those pauses are always something I've been rather glad for.  Imagine trying to speedrun the game without them: a constant stream of high-precision tricks and movements, with no downtime outside of the rare simple rooms.  No thanks to that.
Claimh Happy
Yeah, games like that suck. *cough*thank god Aria of Sorrow is only 16 minutes*cough*
Since Arrow never responded I'm going to cut Little Nemo from the schedule and add Mischief Makers in its place. I'll update the schedule soon.
Willing to teach you the impossible
I know this is still in advance, but about when is the game list going to become a schedule?
Probably sometime mid-September at the latest.

I finally added Mischief Makers and deleted Little Nemo from the schedule.

I also took mike89 and romscout off the schedule because they both said they weren't coming. Sad
Willing to teach you the impossible
Thanks for the info.

Sad times... We will miss you two...
Not a walrus
romscout breaking his streak. :<