--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Aphox: 2013-02-14 05:28:13 pm
Aphox: 2013-02-14 05:28:12 pm
Also know as L0rdy
Thanks ImRuKus, your Nephalim run is without Super Daten I assume?
Are you using any Items at all in your runs? Health or Devil trigger?

Btw why would you patch your game? Atleast I know I wont and I'll still speedrun this game on 1.0 since it's the fastest version lol.
Limbos Top F*cking Idiot
Quote from L0rdy:
Thanks ImRuKus, your Nephilim run is without Super Daten I assume?
Are you using any Items at all in your runs? Health or Devil trigger?

Btw why would you patch your game? Atleast I know I wont and I'll still speedrun this game on 1.0 since it's the fastest version lol.

Nephilim NG+ Any% doesn't use Super Dante, This is just personal preference as it makes the fights you have to do atleast a tiny bit challenging, And also adds some Devil trigger management (stoping to buy stars can take nearly a minute or s because of load times on the xbox). However Items are fine to use id say.

I may not patch the game, But it just means I cant be in a party chat with friends when I practice which is what I usually do. If I feel Im not ready to do a run on monday I will not update and postpone the run till the weekend.

If we are now making a ruleset ofr the categories id say the rules for Neph NG+ any% would be:

No Super Dante.
Reason: as I stated before this IMO is a cheap way to get through the little fights that we now have to do, Preferably Id like to not see it used in HoH run as everything is allready 1 hit, However since at this time I don't run HoH id say you guys can define the HoH rules.

Items are aloud to be used (and i would encourage them to speed boss fights up).
Reason: I say let the items be used as Super Dante shouldn't be aloud, This means management of your devil trigger with the stars (I doubt anyone is going to stop mid run to buy any due to the loading times) Also the health stars are pretty much in case your having some bad luck on bosses *Cough Lilith's baby Cough* And they help make the Inferno level quicker as you can jump through flames and use the health stars to manage ur health.

As for any IG's IJ's and Skips id say its all fair game as long as we are all using the same version of DmC.

And maybe include what version you are on due to the patch? I mean if they eventually get rid of all our IJ's and IG's there goes most of the skips which wouldn't be fair if you were racing someone with the 1.0 version who's able to do all of them.

Again these are just my opinion on what the Neph NG+ any% rules should be. I think by having these rules there is still some need to be good at combat within DmC which is one of the games main mechanics but also adds the management side which you see in alot of other Runs ie, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Jak and Daxter etc.

Hopefully people are happy with my suggested rule set as Im probably one of the few people who run neph Tongue
Ganondorf = Donkey Kong LOOK IT UP!!
Yes ImRukus even if not seriously, I highly suggest giving Heaven and Hell a run. It's a rush of movement tricks with itty bitty battles :3

Also, L0rdy, take a look at this and let me know if anything seems improvable.

Mission 11 - The Order in '0.45'

I managed to add an enemy bounce charge shot IG transfer (blah mouthful). I was a good bit onto the house before I stopped so maybe there is a little there. Also, ONCE, just ONCE I managed to get out on the right side of the gap without entering the room beyond or having the camera lock. I'd try and work out what I did, but it's probably more reliable to roll to the left anyway Smiley

Also, what is the sitch with others when it comes to load speeds? Can any discrepancies be resolved by pausing to wait if you don't have a fast enough PC? Or what if you have a PC that loads too fast? :v All I know is this is the second precise room load insertion I've done in a run, and I'm starting to think others didn't do these methods because I dunno, my PC runs at a different speed? On top of that, how bout dem consoles? Where do they fare? Hehe maybe PS3 is slow enough to do some exclusive load inserts :3

Categories: H&H Super Dante is the fastest way to complete the game. I think that alone warrants it being a category. Not sure of the viability of non-Super Dante NG+ categories, as that's like playing NG+ but not using everything you have. Idk I think it might get confusing otherwise. I suppose worse comes to worse you can just chuck a no-Super-D on the end of the category.

Items: If you aren't using Super Dante (e.g doing a Neph run) and it's faster than buying it at the store, no reason why you shouldn't use it, at least imo. IGs and IJs of course, they are the baller.

Patch versions: I'd say it would be best to just use whichever is the best version available for your platform (not sure how backup works on X360/PS3). Afaik that's the way things here have always worked. Of course races are different though.
Limbos Top F*cking Idiot
Quote from CrypticJacknife:
Not sure of the viability of non-Super Dante NG+ categories, as that's like playing NG+ but not using everything you have. Idk I think it might get confusing otherwise. I suppose worse comes to worse you can just chuck a no-Super-D on the end of the category.

I plan to do a proper H&H run some time, just not at the moment, And for the whole Super Dante business. If other Neph runners want to use it then i wil probably use it, the only reason I dont use it atm (besides being to lazy to unlock it) is that I still want a tiny bit of challenge. However since it looks like itll probably end up being standard with a Neph run I may go through DMD mode (im just going use it as skip practice anyway :P) and unlock it for my monday run.
+2 against silly
Load times on PS3 are absolutely abyssmal. At the start of a level, it's probably about... 15 seconds? I'd have to time it, but it's enough for Dante to get off AT LEAST two of his long combos in the load screen. Cutscenes also play longer due to loading, probably about 5-6 seconds more. Worst culprit I know of is the cutscene before the Hunter fight -- whereas on PC it'll skip literally RIGHT after Dante leaves the funhouse, on PS3, it's not until after Dante double-takes with the wig on his head that it skips the scene. I don't know how the 360 load times compare since I'm only running PS3 currently.

As for patching on console... well, it's almost like patching with Steam. It's why I'm hesitant to get the Steam version of the game, because I've NEVER been able to figure out how to roll back versions, what with Steam's love of auto-updating. PS3, if I remember right, won't let you play a game unless you agree to download whatever patch is up. It's not like 360 where it just signs you off. Besides, I'm not sure whether the patch is mandatory or if it'll only show up if you get Bloody Palace off of the Store (if it IS off the Store; it might be a patch in-and-of-itself).

I'm personally cool with there being a HoH Super Dante NG+ category, but just as long as Fresh runs are accepted as well. I'd like to see Fresh runs more than NG+ Nephilim non-Super Dante myself. But it's which difficulty should Fresh runs be on? Can't do DMD like the older DMCs since you'd have to unlock it, but Nephilim Fresh would just mean more time spent on bosses due to more health. Devil Hunter might be the optimal idea for that, since Human just doesn't have any skill in it. Tongue
Limbos Top F*cking Idiot
Ashe it sounds like the xbox loads slower tbh, You cant skip the hunter scene until Kat tells Dante the hunters bullet proof.

Also for the fresh runs, it would make alot of stages alot slower as you wont have the angel glide to skip or the pistol charge to do the new IG.
I think NG would just be its own category.
Edit history:
Aphox: 2013-02-14 07:41:45 pm
Aphox: 2013-02-14 07:41:15 pm
Aphox: 2013-02-14 07:40:09 pm
Also know as L0rdy
I dont agree on using items tbh, if you want a challenge that'll remove it. You can buy 10 large devil trigger stars at once and dont have to stop for them at all just buy them inbetween missions... that'll be enought to have devil trigger for 100% of the figths lol and no enemy can touch you...

@CryticJacknife your video looks great, I only searched for new routes didnt bother so far to make them perfect :), but didnt find any error in that vid.

@ashe_bug the only way to roll back with steam is if you made a backup of your gamefiles before you patched them, afterwards you'll never get back the old patch from steam itself...

About Categories for this game... I think (personal opinion) there shouldnt be a NG+ Nephilim Category because its just an easier version of a DMD NG+, you wont see any difference besides that its easier : P you could argue that Nephilim is faster but why not play the fastest Categorie then...
I like the idea of a Nephilim NG though and I think Hell and Hell could also be valid if someone wants to give it a go but then again No Super Dante and no Items else its just childsplay : x. But thats just my opinion you can speedrun whatever you like ofc! Do whatever you have fun with.

About patching with consoles, sorry i dont personaly own any consoles so I cant really help you guys out too much. However what you could consider is buying a secondary console for speedrunning. It is a 1 time investment and speedrunning as a hobby isnt really that expensive overall. You could have all the games patched on your normal play console and have the unpatched and maybe not even connected to the internet 2nd console for speedrunning... just an idea you'd never have to worry about patching or not.
Limbos Top F*cking Idiot
...Has anyone even ran DMD NG+..?
Also know as L0rdy
I dont think anybody has ran DMD NG+ yet.
Limbos Top F*cking Idiot
Then why are we suddenly adding it when no ones running it?
Limbos Top F*cking Idiot
I mean. If people run it then sure ad it but I cant see many people wanting to run it, Ill probably be semi running it just to get Super Dante but if i dont like it im definitely not going to run it.
Also know as L0rdy
Let me ask you a question then ImRuKus, why did you choose Nephilim over Human difficulty?
Limbos Top F*cking Idiot
Because when i started running this game I didnt have DMD and wasn't bothered with unlocking or running it. I dont get alot of time to stream because I live at home and my sister uses all the bandwidth so I needed a game that would only take me a couple hours.
Also know as L0rdy
Well I am not telling you at all that you cant run Nephilim NG+ or that its a stupid category. I am just saying that in my opinion we shouldnt make tons of categories for every difficulty but rather focus on categories that are really different.
And I dont know if you would agree with me but I think DMD and Nephilim are not really different, DMD might be a bit slower because of bigger waves but not by that much. So I would rather like to see a DMD run since its harder then Nephilim, same thing with Human or Devil Hunter difficulty. Please dont take that as a personal insult against you, because you choose Nephilim, its just telling you my preferences in this matter.
Limbos Top F*cking Idiot
I honestly dont know the difference in DMD or Nephilim. Since i started running I never touched DMD. Ill be running it sometime this week, (dunno if itll be a actual run where im trying since Ill have to learn the new enemy moves) Im not taking it as an insult it just feels that if it is dropped all the work ive done in it was near useless.
Edit history:
Aphox: 2013-02-14 10:55:54 pm
Also know as L0rdy
Dont worry too much about your work beeing lost, there are really so few differences between difficultys. I mean ok you have to deal with new waves and a few more attacks from enemys however you'd still use the same route and the game still uses the same mechanics and combo's... wont take you too long to get used to DMD if you decide to do so... I want to emphasise you dont have to change anything if you enjoy running Nephilim NG+ nobody would mind, we all speedrun because we have fun doing it not because somebody else tells us stuff to do...
Edit history:
flicky: 2013-02-15 02:51:42 am
flicky: 2013-02-15 02:50:52 am
flicky: 2013-02-15 02:47:58 am
flicky: 2013-02-15 02:41:49 am
$15 per rant/allegory
Quote from CrypticJacknife:
EDIT: Also, with people asking about categories, I figured the three big ones would be full NG+ any% (Heaven and Hell + Super Dante), NG any% (Nephilim) or of course any% DMD. But if you guys think DMD is a little too much fighting ratio, s'all good.

There are a lot of options for categories (as usual in a DMC game). Which level do you get glide on? I recall it being really early on, in which case I propose the following three:

NG+ Hell & Super
NG (glitchless) Nephilim
NG+ DMD.

Hell & Super is clearly the fastest so it has a place. NG Nephilim would just be a less interesting DMD NG+ run so make it glitchless. I'd say make one of them SSS but really, DMD NG+ will probably end up as SSS anyway.

This way we get:
Only glitches - NG+ Hell/Super
Only fighting/gameplay - NG Nephilim (glitchless)
Fighting & Glitches - NG+ DMD

For those wondering, n472a from Japan is running NG+ DMD.

NG+ Nephilim will really easy. Super Dante in this game is just absolutely dumb. It turns every fight into a non-fight and removes all meter management. There's a reason it's so hard to get Devil Trigger in DmC.

I'm basing this off my knowledge of running similar games. Running NG+ Hard mode in DMC 3 is just bleh and that game is harder than this one. You may want to tune NG down to Devil Hunter but Nephilim is doable. Obviously, run what you want to, but this is what I  think makes the most sense/would be the most fun.
Edit history:
CrypticJacknife: 2013-02-15 04:38:20 am
CrypticJacknife: 2013-02-15 04:33:08 am
CrypticJacknife: 2013-02-15 04:25:33 am
CrypticJacknife: 2013-02-15 04:23:19 am
CrypticJacknife: 2013-02-15 04:18:00 am
CrypticJacknife: 2013-02-15 04:05:25 am
Ermagerd it's a conversertion. Time to grab a coffee see what y'all sayin. Also M3 is where you get glide, remember, the level that forgets you can float over it if you already have it?

Alright alright *cracks fingers*. Response and thoughts on their way

More on categories: I think needless to say as to what categories, NG/NG+s we end up with, two modes that will instantly go down the shitter for offering nothing new would be Son of Sparda and Devil Hunter difficulty. Why Devil Hunter you might ask?  Because if you are doing a run on one of the main difficulties, you are going to want a REASON to play DH, as opposed to Human (way faster kills) or Neph (higher skill cap), Devil Hunter kind of just sits in the middle, doing nothing useful and not being unique in any way shape or form. As for Son of Sparda, surely if someone wanted to do a full remix run they would just use DMD, SoS' waves were kind of underwhelming overall anyway.

Items: Yknow now that you guys put it that way, it does seem kind of weird to use items huh? Pretty much just paying and sequentially using Super Dante in a regular mode as opposed to having him always on Tongue We would need to make it no shop purchases just to keep it from becoming Hell & Super, except with 5 seconds before each fight to use items lol. Of course this presumption/fix will be accepted at a varying level depending on the category involved.

Also some weird shit happened this morning when I was fighting Mundus. I tried the skip to advance checkpoints, he didn't slam, I just died. Game over happened, so I restarted. Lo and behold in front of me is a fucking gigantic spinning orbital Mundus who looks like he is just jamming his face into the corner of the building. No hitboxes anywhere, resets fix nothing, can't get traction to glide elsewhere and snoop around. Anyone else experienced this? (found on Heaven&H obviously)

Probably more thoughts on their way, quite a bit to say, just a little delirious atm I slept all day >_>

ImRuKus : Never think your research will be for nothing, so far my impression with categories in this game is that unless you plan on alternating between Glitchless and not, the things you have learned will be just as useful in other modes. Just may require a few tweaks.

ashe_bug : Nothing against the PS Triple but my consensus over the last gen has been that it is the least efficient at loading. (yknow 360 being equivalent to a bad PC and all). If you are running that and don't mind I may in the future ask you to check out a few things. I'm sure there is a load insert that would take advantage of the time it takes for the PS3 to do it. Of course I am saying that in presumption that the difference between PC and PS3 cutscene loading is similiar to the difference between PC and PS3 architecture drawing.

L0rdy/Aphox: Heh, sorry if you are just gunning for routes instead of optimisation. Sonic runner here, so I dunno I guess I'll cover that half of the ball park. Just keep finding these skips! <3
Edit history:
Aphox: 2013-02-15 04:41:36 am
Aphox: 2013-02-15 03:52:54 am
Also know as L0rdy
I agree with flicky, these are basicly the Categories I proposed aswell.

@CrypticJacknife I might approach stuff a bit different then others. Normaly I worry about the route first while just playing alot and running alot, get used to the game mechanics and execution that way, on that way I slowly add more and more depth and detail into each and every bit and then finally if I decide to go for SDA recording I would check over every level again to perfect each and every move.
I agree with flicky's categories too, all 3 categories would offer something different that way (glitches, planning, skill/execution).
Edit history:
flicky: 2013-02-15 05:01:39 am
$15 per rant/allegory
Oh, about items.

Items in these games are massively difficult to decide on. My only advice is to leave it and see how it goes. Fortunately there's no Holy Water equivalent here which makes things much easier. In DMC 3 NG+ we allow item usage but don't really like it. In Bayonetta we banned the Magic Flute but allowed other items (again, we're not too fond of them though).

Off the top of my head I would allow all items for Fresh runs but keep an eye on Devil Stars. For NG Nephilim I reckon Devil Stars might be ok (you don't get much money anyway which is a good limiting facotr). For NG+ DMD I don't know how I feel about item use. I'd have to see how it plays out.  Basically I'm worried that NG+ categories will turn into item spams. You can easily alleviate this by adding a simple "no shopping" rule to NG+.

Edit - Once I have finished Far Cry 3, I'm going to give DmC another go. I'll get a full NG+ save then decide whether I want NG+ DMD or NG Nephilim (Aphox, I might have to get you to teach me the glitches). The problem is, Metal Gear Rising comes out next weekend.
Edit history:
Aphox: 2013-02-15 05:22:01 am
Also know as L0rdy
Haha Flicky, I'll teach you anytime just message me : P.

Btw please dont allow items for NG+ Categories the game is already easy enough and it would only end in an equivalent of Super Dante...
Dammit flicky y u 3 months to Far Cry 3. For the most part I agree with all of what you just said on the items. Essentially in summary, what L0rdy said, it would be like pretending you are better for not using Super Dante, yet you would literally play in equivalence with it. I suppose we only have room for one "Way more resources than required" category Tongue

Still, at the moment I am still rolling with Heaven&Hell SD, so any choice made here more than likely wouldn't affect me. Take y'all time make sure you get a nice medium of happiness Smiley

EDIT: Call me batshit, but I think I might give Devil's Dalliance a crack in IL form. Much larger level than what I've dealt with before (no I didn't even attempt optimising Order until L0rdy's skip lol). Any suggestions/theories for crafting appreciated <3
Edit history:
CrypticJacknife: 2013-02-15 08:23:08 am
CrypticJacknife: 2013-02-15 08:16:32 am
CrypticJacknife: 2013-02-15 08:15:13 am
CrypticJacknife: 2013-02-15 08:13:23 am
Well there you go. 1:03:31 RTA Heaven and Super. Still many MANY mistakes, I'm still too lazy to learn the proper Virility and Home Truths strats. I may start recording, so I can keep track of the in-game time of these runs. L0rdy curious have you worked out your in-game for the 57?

Also, is it because it seems arbitrarily possible that no one has made a video about IJ/IG chaining? Charge shot IG can be chained to I presume any IJ.  I prefer to use the Fireworks/Shotgun IJ, that way it's just a double tap on the dpad then you are off, also it retains a bit of the consistency of the timing involved in that IJ. Logic says this can be done with the Eryx/Whip, Eryx/Fireworks, Whip/Fireworks IJs as well.

Edit: Let me know if you guys want a vid, it's been a while since I've just made a straight glitch vid ^_^ Screw it I'll make one anyway it's 2am and I'm bored now ; _ ;
Edit history:
Caelint: 2013-02-15 08:39:12 am
Caelint: 2013-02-15 08:29:25 am
I'm having problems with the order skip, I only managed to get the area to load once, I just fell into nothingness on the rest, and I'm pretty sure I'm following the same landmark I watched the video tons of times. Trying to figure out what's wrong.

Edit: I can do it now, but I have to land much earlier and walk to the checkpoint from there, else it just doesn't load, whatever, I'll look into it later, at least I can do it now, although sub-optimally.