List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
KanBan85: 2013-08-13 01:54:54 pm
KanBan85: 2013-08-12 11:08:26 pm
We both like money! Friends?
Congrats P-why on WR!

I also got a new PB today, though less impressive as it is not WR Smiley I got 25:08 so I am getting close to sub 25!

Edit: Merged VOD's
Excellent Smiley Just so you know, I believe you can combine two videos into one using the youtube video editor.
Edit history:
Sprint: 2013-08-14 09:19:03 am
Sprint: 2013-08-14 09:17:49 am
Sprint: 2013-08-14 09:09:25 am
Sprint: 2013-08-14 09:00:18 am
Sprint: 2013-08-14 08:59:12 am
Sprint: 2013-08-14 08:58:51 am
Sprint: 2013-08-14 08:58:35 am
Gfrnnnhk!

This is over 10 seconds faster than all your current Impassable Foliage strats (except TAS, which is kinda impossible), and is almost entirely practical in SS.

0.5s freeze at the start and 1.5s freeze before climbing the ladder while the plant is down to manipulate the plants in the upper right.

Dropping the ring on the way past costs time. It slows the platform down.

When jumping on the goomba in the upper right, you need to freeze for at least the amount of time demonstrated. This sets up the ideal timing for dropping the ring below the plant without having to wait for another cycle. If you aren't going for the ridiculous goomba jump then you don't need to worry about this.

The goomba jump on the far left is incredibly strict. It's safer to just wait for the next goomba. Jump towards the ring normally with the goomba behind you and bounce off it just before it dies in the pit.
Edit history:
Archanfel: 2013-08-14 09:22:22 am
Quote from Sprint:
This is over 10 seconds faster than all your current Impassable Foliage strats (except TAS, which is kinda impossible), and is almost entirely practical in SS.

Oh nice one ! But if be punctual it is "only" ~5 sec faster than star path strat. Not 10.
Edit history:
Sprint: 2013-08-14 09:31:51 am
Sprint: 2013-08-14 09:30:40 am
Gfrnnnhk!
Well I was referring to the SS runs, but yeah.
I've tried combining this with the star path, but it worked out slower because setting it up requires more time freezing, which delays the goomba/platform on the left.
Indeed it's fast, but it's really hard to do in SS, plus you use left door at the end, so it's not 10 seconds I think. But all those time stops are hard to do to me, and if you miss one, you actually lose time. Also, putting the ring on your way back was slower with old old strat, but it may be faster indeed, I should time that Wink
Thanks for the help Smiley Do you speedrun Braid the whole game ?
I've been practicing that today. It seems slightly easier if the second freeze is slightly slower and you add another freeze as the plant goes down when you are on the platform under it. I got 59:47 with it with right exit (and no corner boost, + some errors and slower pick up at the last puzzle.) I like how you take the last piece, I've been practicing with waiting for the next goomba to come.

I think best times with current normal SS strat is about 1:05 ish (maybe slightly lower) so this is much faster, and much more risky... Sad
Quote from ralle32:
Also there's still the mystery about the impassable foliage 0:55. There aren't any youtube videos sub 1 minute for this level. Does anyone know something about this?

Well, I guess that mystery is solved.... Only took 13 pages....
Quote from KanBan85:
Quote from ralle32:
Also there's still the mystery about the impassable foliage 0:55. There aren't any youtube videos sub 1 minute for this level. Does anyone know something about this?

Well, I guess that mystery is solved.... Only took 13 pages....

Yeah it took long time indeed. But it was not pure waste of thinking. During unsuccessful efforts to solve this mystery in last years i found crazy idea to build bridge with green goomba which turned to be possible to execute for TAS.
So accidentally this old mystery did very positive work. @Sprint - Big thanks that not showed your method earlier! Tongue
Edit history:
Sprint: 2013-08-14 06:19:49 pm
Sprint: 2013-08-14 01:27:06 pm
Sprint: 2013-08-14 01:21:31 pm
Sprint: 2013-08-14 01:19:29 pm
Sprint: 2013-08-14 01:17:18 pm
Sprint: 2013-08-14 12:57:23 pm
Gfrnnnhk!
Quote from P-why:
Indeed it's fast, but it's really hard to do in SS, plus you use left door at the end, so it's not 10 seconds I think. But all those time stops are hard to do to me, and if you miss one, you actually lose time. Also, putting the ring on your way back was slower with old old strat, but it may be faster indeed, I should time that Wink
Thanks for the help Smiley Do you speedrun Braid the whole game ?

The only hard part is the goomba jump on the left. Everything else has plenty of leniency.

Backup strats:
When the leftmost plant in the upper right goes down, freeze time for a moment. This lets a goomba go past the far-right plant. Then when you freeze time to attempt to bounce up to the puzzle piece it will get the goomba past the second plant, so if you mess up you won't have to wait very long.

When attempting the hard goomba jump on the left, 3 things can happen.
- You get a miracle.
- You time the bounce right, but mess up the turn around. Rewind to the moment of the bounce and use time-stop to get it right.
- You mistimed the jump. Get back onto the platform with as little rewinding as possible and just wait for the next goomba.

The safest thing to do is just ignore that goomba and wait for the next one. Doing that still gets you to the right-hand door in 0:56-58 depending on your execution. By comparison your current WR run was about 1:06 (with a second wasted due to missing the door >_>).

...and yes I used to run the game, but haven't done it recently. Hoping to get back into streaming sometime soon.

Edit: Plant timing.
For the first timestop, just freeze for about 0.5 seconds at any point during the first part of the level. You don't have to be precise.
The second one is a bit finicky. I use the plant on the screen to time the start of it, and just mentally count to decide when to stop.

To get a better idea of the timing, go into speedrun mode and just walk to the far right at the start.

Freeze time for 0.5 seconds along the way (you can do it whenever you want) and when you get there you'll see that the goombas are missing the first plant.
The goomba to concentrate on is the one that dies just after the timer hits 11 seconds. Freezing time at 11s keeps the second plant down, and unfreezing at the right moment puts the last plant on a timing cycle where it moves out of the way just as the goomba gets there.

The plant at the start of the level goes down at 11 seconds, so you can use that to time the freeze in a single segment run. The timing of the unfreeze requires practice, but there's plenty of room for error. I get it pretty much every time.
I'll run Braid and Silverbraid in 10 minutes on :

http://fr.twitch.tv/consolefunlive

Feel free to stop by Wink
Edit history:
KanBan85: 2013-09-13 02:27:32 am
Finally new PB. But still no sub 25 Sad So close though. Stupid door to the epilogue....

Also, Me and P-why will be racing at the Speedathon at 10 or 11 pm CET on MOnday the 16th. Stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/speedathon
Our race starts any minute now! HYPE!
Edit history:
KanBan85: 2013-09-20 10:17:42 am
Man, this thread is quite after the TAS was done....

Anyhow. I am ever so slowly getting closer to sub 25. I recorded this but it is so close to my last PB... (It is actually only 0.5 sec faster than old PB...)

You'll get it eventually Kanban Smiley I bet on next week for your sub 25 Wink if you do 1 run a day !
(This thread is becoming KanBan85 practice thread, sorry about that....)

Finally sub 25! This was a really sloppy run however. The four last levels on W6 and 1-1 did it, so I can easily improve this by 30 sec if I get it all right....

I saw that live Smiley gg again Kanban Cheesy
I'll be speedrunning Braid at Ludendi's Haloween Marathon at 10 am ish CET time this Saturday ( 2. nov)

http://www.twitch.tv/ludendi/

Enjoy!
Braid running in a few seconds ! Come now http://www.twitch.tv/ludendi/ !! GL for the run Kanban <3
Edit history:
KanBan85: 2013-11-04 12:02:23 am
KanBan85: 2013-11-03 11:23:12 pm
Safer 6-7!

So my main problem with the trick at 6-7 "In another castle" was the fact that if you rewind for a tad too long then the levrer resets. But if you rewind too short then you die. Now, in this strat you set the levrer earlier, but you have to move left a tad to gain the green state, but now you can rewind for a very long time and the frame window for preforming the trick is much larger.

The difficulty here, however, is to catch the key as a short rewind will not set the whole state back enough so the key falls down too fast. I have found though that you can "catch" the key at ridiculous situations as the hit-box for the key is much bigger than the key itself.

You should stand as close to the green state as possible while still being able to pull the levrer. You should activate the levrer right after a canon-ball has been shot, then move left for very few pixels, then "go for it"! You rewind x2 for as long as possible when you fall. I have even rewinded for too long (going back up again a tiny tad) and still made it with this trick. It is really not that hard.

Also, a long forgotten shoutout to p-why for helping me learn all sorts of stuff. Sorry, I forgot to mention you at my run on Saturday, I was a bit tired. I have had very little sleep the night before Wink
Your run was fun Kanban Smiley You did well, and way better than ESA's run Wink

Also, if you guys don't know, BumCommando started working on 6-stars (tbh, he even did some 8-stars...) and he beated my ooold PB. I wanted to see what I could do now that I was better than when I used to run 6-stars, and I got a new PB, finally sub 30 and better than Bum's time Tongue

If you wanna see it, here it is:

Thanks for watching (if you do so Cheesy )
That run was amazing! WR for sure.

I improved my PB by 3 more seconds. I wasted a total of ca. 18 seconds on "fickle companion" and "elevator action". I also lost some more time on "cascade". I think I can shave off a total of 20-25 sec and do a 24:30 run. It's actually doing it which is just sooo hard. I am starting to doubt that WR is possible for me atm. The new strat for 6-7 paid off Smiley

Edit history:
P-why: 2013-11-08 10:10:58 am
P-why: 2013-11-08 10:10:44 am
AAARRRGGGHHHH I just did a run and I got 24:24.87 >.< !! My W6 sucked I'm so pissed... I think I'll upload it cause the first 4 worlds are pretty good Smiley

And btw, I found something pretty consistant for the 1st fireball in Cascade. You'll see it in the run: I walk up to the ladder and I jump, then I instantly press "UP". Then Tim grabs the ladder at perfect timing. I tried it many times and it seems it's worth it Wink

edit: I'm uploading it right now, it should be available here once finished uploading:

Edit history:
KanBan85: 2013-11-08 11:54:55 pm
Nice run! Too bad with elevator action. You entered Cascade at 15:30 :O

I actually tried the same strategy with cascade a while ago but I've never gotten it consistently. Still not getting it Wink But anything to get that first canon-ball with less muscle memory is a step in the right direction Cheesy

Edit: TBH, I was a bit scared that you had broken the WR when I saw that you had written a new post Wink
Quote from KanBan85:
TBH, I was a bit scared that you had broken the WR when I saw that you had written a new post Wink

Haha I knew that ^_^

Be patient young student, it shall come soon (I hope) Cheesy