Smiley
Sad
page  <- 123456789101112131415161718 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 18 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
ye, good to see some serious competition finally. However, sub 26 IS indeed possible, but my personal goal is more like a 26:30 since the game by far is harder than it seems in SS. I've been running it from time to time for like 3 years or so now and still don't get consistent 27:xx.
Quote from Tim:
@palfo
Seems you finally find a worthy rival! Be careful, your WR in danger Tongue

Haha I'm far from Palfo's level Tongue I just started speedrun 2 weeks ago... I'm not good enough yet Tongue But I'd love to get a WR, at least for a few days ^_^
Edit history:
keylie: 2013-04-04 04:59:41 am
keylie: 2013-04-04 04:59:09 am
keylie: 2013-04-04 04:38:13 am
Here is a little illustration indicating how to reach a specific time by rewinding, and how much it costs.

I should systematically test all frames when rewinding.
EDIT: Well, I realize that among all 8 possibilities (mod 8), -2 and -6 are useless to test, because I can rewind 1 extra frame back which costs 1 less frame to perform.
Edit history:
Archanfel: 2013-04-04 01:53:44 pm
Archanfel: 2013-04-04 01:53:38 pm
Archanfel: 2013-04-04 01:49:48 pm
Archanfel: 2013-04-04 01:48:07 pm
Archanfel: 2013-04-04 01:47:42 pm
Archanfel: 2013-04-04 05:05:20 am
Quote from Archanfel:
I think that there is a more faster transition between 1st an 2nd puzzle pieces:

Idea is to skip using of of the first lever in the second time. It can be done if before moving to the 1st piece we put ring at lowering platform (this platform should not reach to top point).
After get 1st pice using "R+FW" trick. Meanwhile second platform (yellow arrow) will already can pass under lowering platform and so Tim (Red arrows) can cancel ring and go directly to ladder.

Once again about this little (but very complicated) skip in 6-6. May be picture was not enough clear so i made video of attempt:
Of course without tools i failed it, but i think for TAS it can be possible.
---
Quote from keylie:
It is.
Sweet. Sweeeeee-eeeet!! I mean that it was very beautiful. (Both variants.)
It is.

Teleporting is cool
Quote from keylie:
It is.

Teleporting is cool
It was very cool and smart trick Shocked
This is madness! No, this is TAS!! Can't wait World 6 completely.
I couldn't do the rabbit kill at 5-3. I don't think it is possible in the PC version.
Edit history:
Archanfel: 2013-04-07 11:11:28 am
Archanfel: 2013-04-07 07:11:32 am
Quote from keylie:
I couldn't do the rabbit kill at 5-3. I don't think it is possible in the PC version.
Yeap, unfortunately this trick is not work at PC version.

---
World 6 is being closer and closer Cheesy
In 6-5 exist one crazy method how is possible to climb up to star path from middle platform with using only one goomba. Method pretty simple:

1)Tim Make jump in air.
2)Tim is fall under goomba.
3)Goomba is fall on Tim's head.
4)Goomba doing jump.
5)Tim make rewind and jump on Goomba during it is jumping.

But i not sure that it will be faster then standart 2 goomba method... I afraid not enough time do this trick with the first ever goomba just after getting first puzzle piece.

However not hurry to reject this trick, there is a chanse to get benefit of using this trick even with the next goomba. Because of for speedrun mode in this room waiting platform is main priority.
So possible to climb to star path a bit late, but with less amount of rewind/time-pauses in total it be faster  (first goomba can die).

Question is what in total will take less amount of rewind/time-pauses:
-to allow both goomba to go through plants?
-or to allow 1st goomba die and only 2nd to go through plants and then use this trick?

It require testing, with very very careful stops calculation.
amazing stuff again Archanfel. Even if it may not be used in the TAS it could qualify for some kind of more safe and faster strat for single segment.
Edit history:
Archanfel: 2013-04-07 09:01:32 am
Quote from palfo32:
Even if it may not be used in the TAS it could qualify for some kind of more safe and faster strat for single segment.
No this definitely not for SS. Actually it much harder than normal 2 goomba method.

Quote from palfo32:
However, while I am at it, do you have another single segment strategy for this level up your sleeve by any chance?
Imho star path is too risky for SS. So for this room there are no better strat that you already use.
Edit history:
palfo32: 2013-04-07 08:57:23 am
too bad... thanks for the fast answer though before I even started testing it (which probably would have ended in a lot of frustration). Such a shame all these strats look some kind of easy in the videos Grin

However, while I am at it, do you have another single segment strategy for this level up your sleeve by any chance?
Edit history:
Archanfel: 2013-04-07 11:08:51 am
Archanfel: 2013-04-07 11:05:15 am
May be at 6-2 for TAS is possible to escape from the trap?
--
+Not miss obvious route improvement at room 6-4:
If use the first goomba and to grab puzzle piece and the same goomba to climb up - it 2-3 seconds faster than in rewindless method with waiting 3rd goomba.
---
P.S. Alternative route for 5-4 works even cooler than i expected. Well done!thumbsup
But 5-2 was painful to watch Cry
We both like money! Friends?
Man, these are some cool starts. I think I'll hang out here instead of the casual speedrun thread Smiley Got a new personal record today of 31:17 without the last level trick (I did the whole last level). I'm still struggeling with that one, even if I get in front of the canon-ball. Did not record though. I try to get some good recorded runs but it lags a bit while recording and that can be very frustrating for a speedrun.

I hope Archanfel, palfo or P-why could run this for AGDQ 2014, it was a pretty poor run for 2013.
@keylie Cool to see someone go for a new TAS run. Your whole run will be slower when you play in "normal" mode and not "speed-run" mode since each level takes longer to open, but you probably know this. Hopefully it will be in "speedrun mode" (with the game-timer) when you copile it all.
Edit history:
palfo32: 2013-04-08 07:27:33 am
It won't take longer anyway cause he can quit the levels after collecting the last puzzle piece which saves a lot of time. However, since none of us lives in the U.S. (I guess) a braid run won't happen at any marathon Grin Good to know you're still running and getting better!

edit: I agree that 2013 got a poor run however, despite all respect for cyberbotX it really seemed more like a very casual run, which is a shame because I truly believe people should watch more braid runs. Especially after keylie and Archanfel found all these new strategies a run of this game got really entertaining.
keylie not yet posted his WIP for World 5 here. 
World 5 is up:

May be someone not yet saw it.

+He said that skip at 6-2 was successful for TAS Grin

---
About AGDQ 2014 palfo32 is right, all of us live very far from U.S.
Edit history:
palfo32: 2013-04-08 08:21:04 am
palfo32: 2013-04-08 08:18:57 am
that 5-4 is so so so amazing.

edit: watching this I am even more confused why it's such an overlooked game speedrun-wise. I mean it's short, it has a built-in speed run mode, it has amazing timesavers etc etc.
What? How did he get three hits on the monster at once?

Awesome world 5 btw. Too bad he still has to wait for the gompa in 5-2 despide all the extra timesave in the beginning.
Quote from KanBan85:
What? How did he get three hits on the monster at once?

Quote from Archanfel:
Slightly better tactic for the second lair boss fight:

(1st chandelier = 3 hits)
+Here for TAS probably also worth to get puzzle piece by using shadow clone.
I don't understand how that works. He is affacted by time rewind in world 5. Bug?
Quote from KanBan85:
I don't understand how that works. He is affacted by time rewind in world 5. Bug?
Come on, it very easy trick, no bugs. Look at picture:
First hit by shadow of chandelier. Then rewind (a little bit, 1st hit should be kept) and then do 2 and 3rd hits by second shadow+ real chandelier.

In TAS keylie used so small delay between 1 and 2-3 hits that it almost cant be seen by human eyes.
Edit history:
keylie: 2013-04-09 06:55:48 am
keylie: 2013-04-09 06:28:37 am
Another bad timing in 6-3:

I need to save about 25 frames on the first piece to be able to get the second puzzle piece without the ring Sad
I should be able to better manage the first ring, but will it be enough ?
EDIT: My best bet is to place the ring on the center of the cloud instead of the edge. It may slow it more, thus reducing the time the ring is placed.
the only things that come to my mind:

1. would ladderjumping up the first platform safe time?
2. maybe longjump the second cloud is faster than the edge of the cannon?
3. reduce the time of the slow bubble?
4. I could not really see if you got the best longjump off the first platform

I don't think that's helpful, it's just the thing that come to my mind. Keep up the great work, I rly enjoyed watching the TAS runs so far.
Edit history:
KanBan85: 2013-04-09 07:10:14 am
Thanks. Archanlef, I get it now. Nice trick.

A coulpe of other questions regaring this TAS run. I see him jumping uphill sometimes, won't that slow you down? Also jumping under a short roof when it's level or uphill (I understand it helps downhill).

He seems to do something that does not slow him down, that we cannot do without tools?
Edit history:
Archanfel: 2013-04-09 08:05:09 am
Archanfel: 2013-04-09 08:03:38 am
Archanfel: 2013-04-09 08:03:02 am
Archanfel: 2013-04-09 07:27:11 am
Archanfel: 2013-04-09 07:27:10 am
Archanfel: 2013-04-09 07:19:59 am
Quote from keylie:
I need to save about 25 frames on the first piece to be able to get the second puzzle piece without the ring Sad

Arrgh!! I thought that probably with long jumps for TAS is possible to get second piece without ring like this just yesterday!  So bad about bad timing ! Cry

Only one thing is come to mind how to save a few frames:
Try to experiment with put ring on first cloud. May be possible to get benefit if put it a bit more close to left side?

Quote from keylie:
EDIT: My best bet is to place the ring on the center of the cloud instead of the edge. It may slow it more, thus reducing the time the ring is placed.
Ha-ha! I noticed that my idea is just opposite with your. Try them both. I hope one of them give you positive result.