Smiley
Sad
page  <- 123456789101112131415161718 -> <- 1 .. 12 .. 18 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Ok, I'm done with improving the published WIP. I've saved about 20 more seconds. I also did the final stage and the epilogue. Only the puzzles left. This might take some time though, to make it look nice, clean and funny. But everything that concerns in-game time is done. Well, I didn't do the hub parts yet, don't except any tricks there Smiley . Climbing up without the last ladder part does not work Cheesy
We both like money! Friends?
Oh boy, oh boy! Uploade please!
Edit history:
keylie: 2013-05-15 07:24:53 am
Quote from KanBan85:
Oh boy, oh boy! Uploade please!

Well, I think next step is final version, so you will have to wait until I'm done with the puzzles.

Archanfel, I investigate placing the ring on stage 6-4. Currently, I'm waiting 40 frames in the upper right platform, and the period of the lower canon is 68 frames, so I would need to shift the upper and lower canons by 28 frames. When placing the ring at the second spot you mentioned (best place), during 40 frames, I only shift the two canons by 13 frames, and I don't even have time to use the goomba to climb up.
Edit history:
Archanfel: 2013-05-16 11:41:18 am
Archanfel: 2013-05-16 11:17:35 am
Archanfel: 2013-05-15 09:50:46 am
Archanfel: 2013-05-15 09:39:30 am
Archanfel: 2013-05-15 09:34:36 am
Archanfel: 2013-05-15 09:34:28 am
Archanfel: 2013-05-15 09:34:13 am
Archanfel: 2013-05-15 09:33:25 am
Archanfel: 2013-05-15 09:32:45 am
Archanfel: 2013-05-15 09:32:35 am
Archanfel: 2013-05-15 07:36:45 am
Quote from keylie:
Ok, I'm done with improving the published WIP. I've saved about 20 more seconds. I also did the final stage and the epilogue. Only the puzzles left. This might take some time though, to make it look nice, clean and funny. But everything that concerns in-game time is done.
Great. I can't wait to finally see Braid in section of Newest Submissions at tasvideos.org Cheesy
Quote from keylie:
I investigate placing the ring on stage 6-4.
Well, now it is clear. I thought ring can give a bit more effect on cannons. But it is not. Thanks for investigation.
---
Quote from keylie:
Well, I think next step is final version, so you will have to wait until I'm done with the puzzles.
It would be cool, if as a bonus you also can do HD encode of all Classic IL Speed Runs.
-Leap of Faith; -Phase; -Jumpman; -Crossing the Gap; -Impassable Foliage
With 3..2..1 countdown at beginning. (All absolutely the same, only left exit in 6-5 is a bit faster for IL).
On YT hundreds of weak-humans-speed runs videos for these levels, so i think it will be good, if your TAS will put the fat point on Braid IL running Roll Eyes
I'm done !
Final time: 20:14.03
Quote from keylie:
I'm done !
Quote:
He cannot say he has understood all of this. Possibly he's more confused now than ever. But all these moments he's contemplated — something has occurred. The moments feel substantial in his mind, like stones. Kneeling, reaching down toward the closest one, running his hand across it, he finds it smooth, and slightly cold.
Quote:
He tests the stone's weight; he finds he can lift it, and the others too. He can fit them together to create a foundation, an embankment, a castle.
Quote:
To build a castle of appropriate size, he will need a great many stones. But what he's got, now, feels like an acceptable start.
Quote from keylie:
I'm done !

Ahh, awesome. I can't wait to see it.
I'm scheduled to speedrun Braid at the ESA in July actually! I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to attend but I'll find out soon. If I can go, I might need a little coaching on a few of the tricks Smiley It would be cool to showcase some of the amazing progress and development of 2013.
I'm curious about the goomba jump in 4-2 to get to the upper path. I know that in what increments you move determines the trajectory of goombas, since it is like increasing or decreasing the physics frame rate, plus floating point errors can be made to accumulate.  (It's kind of like Tim's ring - as things slow down, they move and update their acceleration and check collision in finer increments up to 5x inside of the ring, so it's possible that a slightly different path will occur) (There's also a puzzle in a Braid mod where moving in very very tiny increments makes the goomba not move far)

Is this a correct analysis?
1) You corner boost while the goomba is being shot out - is this to make goomba move further, because it moves more on each 'frame' before decelerating due to being over maximum velocity? Or is it because the trajectory it takes after colliding with the platform is calculated differently based on how 'fast' it hits it or how 'deep' inside of it it is moved in one of its 'frames'? Or is it a bit of both?
2) When you jump off of the puzzle piece platform onto the goomba you lean left a little before bouncing on the very right part of the goomba. Is this purely because you'd otherwise miss, or is it also manipulating goomba fly? How does goomba fly work (where they spend 1 or 2 more frames not falling than they otherwise would of)? Is it purely a consequence of their 'frames' processing at different points depending on how you get there, either causing them to fall off very near the platform's edge or almost a 'frame' of movement away from it?

I'm also curious as to how rewinding time is processed by the Braid engine on spacetime engines. In normal time levels, as time progresses a 'stack' of snapshots of entities' states (position, velocity, behaviour, state and so on) is being built up for every frame, and when you rewind it just travels down the stack until you stop, and continues playing the game from there. In spacetime levels, for 'level time' rather than 'tim time' I imagine there's a similar 'stack' of snapshots, except that instead of being built up for frames it's built up for different x-co-ordinates (which would match up with moving at different speeds causing entities to take different trajectories, they're literally being updated at different 'level time' timestamps). What happens when you unwind to a point in between two snapshots on 'level time'?

For example say you're at x = 1, move to x = 2 on the following frame, stop and then move back to x = 1.5 in one frame. Is the state of entities at x = 1.5 constructed by:
1) interpolating between the state of x = 1 and x = 2, without being able to simulate new events, just dumbly moving everything half way between
2) taking the events of state x = 1, simulating the events of moving forward by one frame of .5 and making that the new top of the stack
3) other?

Also in spacetime levels only, it seems possible for some actions to occur while time is stopped (the real Tim is not moving) while other actions do not (but most of these exceptions can only be seen on a modded level with both spacetime and shadow activated, and I think in all cases they just mean the Braid creator didn't get around to editing their behaviour in spacetime levels, as they never got used that way)
Edit history:
keylie: 2013-05-17 01:59:49 am
Here it is:

I may have problems with borders... and audio desync...
That was so cool. Even new strats in the first worlds as well. Loved your puzzle piece speed-boost.

I have now signed up for speedrunning Braid at ESA (european speedster assemby) which is schelued to Thursday 18. July at 21:05 (prime time Smiley ).

Is it easier to speedrun with an xbox controller connected to the PC rather than using the keybord? I am having troubles with some of the new "tricks", especially the one in world 3 (last lvl). Is rewinding time connected to movement on the xbox controller? (By that I mean, on heybord you use arrows to move AND rewind time (+ shift) which is a bit annoying sometimes...)
Quote from keylie:
Here it is
Probably, it was the most awesome speedrun i ever seen Cheesy Good job!
---
Only one question is left. Is it the end or yet more awesome things await us ahead? To be 100% run or not to be?
Quote from keylie:
Quote from Freid:
But keylie is not yet said what his opinion about stars. May be he not want to doing 100% run... in this case our discussion is pointless.

Well, let's just finish this TAS first.
And answer is...
Quote from KanBan85:
I have now signed up for speedrunning Braid at ESA (european speedster assemby) which is schelued to Thursday 18. July at 21:05 (prime time Smiley ).

Nice Cheesy I wish I could do that...

Quote from KanBan85:
Is it easier to speedrun with an xbox controller connected to the PC rather than using the keybord? I am having troubles with some of the new "tricks", especially the one in world 3 (last lvl). Is rewinding time connected to movement on the xbox controller? (By that I mean, on heybord you use arrows to move AND rewind time (+ shift) which is a bit annoying sometimes...)

imo it's way easier with a controller (that's what I use). The tricks are not SO hard to perform (I wouldn't use them if they were), I can help you with pleasure if you want! Let me know if you'd like that!

GG to Keylie for the TAS, it's a puzzle masterpiece :p
Edit history:
KanBan85: 2013-05-17 01:53:11 pm
Good to know. I'll try to get a hold of one soon. I just try speedrunning again in my stream and I'm REALLY rusty. Just watching your stream is very helpful.

I wish you could go as well, you could show much more of recent progression. Even if I can't get all the tricks right, I'll at least mention how they can be done.

I kinda stopped speedrunning Braid after you guys found new tricks because they looked too difficult and there was no point in trying with old tricks, but now that I'm all of a sudden going to ESA, I guess I'll learn them as well....
Submitted to TASVideos: http://tasvideos.org/3968S.html
I uploaded the improved version in HD this time:
Quote from keylie:
Quote from ais523:
I'd be interested in seeing (probably not as a submission, just as a demonstration for your fans) TASed routes for the five most interesting stars.

I may do individual star stages, but now I'm taking a break from Braid.
All 8 is better than only 5. "All stars" in "speedrun mode" can be very very entertainment and if you will do it, imho it worth for submission.
Yes, problem with waiting 2 hours in 2-2 is exist, but i belive that at tasvideos many smart people and most likely they can understand situation and allow to do ultra-mega-fast encode for 2-2.
Something like this:

(Only start from left exit and climb on the cloud by goomba not from door, it about 40 seconds faster).

Problem with fast encode is just psychological. It not the reason to lose good 100% run.
Anyway in-game timer will display actual time. Think about it, when you will return to Braid after break.
Hi guys ! I love the new strat for 4-7 ! Thanks Archanfel and Keylie Smiley I managed to do it in a single segment and I actually beat my PB using it, so I uploaded the video Wink
Also @5:01 I experimented some sort of bug with the speed of Tim due to a platform. Maybe you already encountered it but if not, maybe it's possible to use that somewhere!
Ok I did an even better run this morning!! I did sub 24:40 Cheesy I'm uploading the video on Youtube
Edit history:
Archanfel: 2013-05-22 09:35:46 am
Quote from P-why:
Ok I did an even better run this morning!! I did sub 24:40 Cheesy I'm uploading the video on Youtube

Awesome job P-why! Nowadays you reached absolute superiority in Braid SS.

27:54:08 by AFewGoodTaters (2010-10-XX)
27:50.70 by palfo32 (2011-05-XX) {current SDA run}
27:29.50 by foaloal (2011-07-XX)
27:02.78 by palfo32 (2012-01-XX)
27:00.XX by palfo32 (2013-03-12)
26:15.43 by palfo32 (2013-04-11)
25:57.22 by palfo32 (2013-04-20)
25:34.85 by P-why (2013-04-22)
25:27.58 by P-why (2013-04-23)
25:20.XX by P-why (2013-05-03)
24:56:93 by P-why (2013-05-03)
24:49:60 by P-why (2013-05-21)
24:39:75 by P-why (2013-05-22)

Don't stop! Pretty interesting how far you will be able to decrease WR in future!? Cheesy Good luck with it.
Thanks Archanfel Smiley Yeah I'm curious too! Those days I got nice runs, I'll keep on training Wink I performed a 24:45 on stream today, so I'm very happy! I'll let you know Smiley
New PR 31:05 - not anywhere close to WR, but closer to my goal og sub 30 min.

I used the old strat for "elevator action". I find trying to get up the ladder the second time is very incinsistent for me. Anyone knows how much time is saved with the new strat?
Quote from KanBan85:
Anyone knows how much time is saved with the new strat?
About 15-20 seconds. Also pay attention on new strat in 3-8, it can save about 30 seconds against normal strat.
Quote from KanBan85:
New PR 31:05 - not anywhere close to WR
2 or 3 mins slower WR is easy to explain, but where you able to lose whole 6+ minutes? Why so slow?
I am using the new strat in 3-8, but I need to work on concistency. I get it right about 65% of the times I try now. Would like it to be closer to 80%.

I really need to get elevetor action right, Tim seems to somehow always fall off the ladder when I rewind for some reason. Really annoying.

Well. I need to work on the last lvl more. I can get it but it usually takes so much rewinding that just doing it the old gives me about the same time. I also cannot do "Cascade" with pro strats and loses some time there. In general, I am not as polished as P-why and make many smaller mistakes. I've just been able to free up some more time, so I'll be able to pratice more. I have improve lately though, I used to do 34 min runs.
Quote from KanBan85:
I really need to get elevetor action right, Tim seems to somehow always fall off the ladder when I rewind for some reason. Really annoying.

Beware, you must not rewind at -8x otherwise you will be stuck and fall off the ladder. -4x is fine.