--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
andrewg: 2007-11-25 06:18:12 pm
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote:
Should I start worrying about my Rush 'n Attack record again?

Congrats on your run!  Beat the Super Mario Bros. 3 run, and become the NES-trilogy king!

Yes.  Wink

Yeah, I might do smb3 or rush 'n attack in the near future. Not sure how soon though. I have a few other games I've been trying to get records for. I might be able to get another run up soon.  Smiley
Congrats, Andrewg!

I can't recall many people beating SDKess's vortiginous.com runs since he 'retired'.

Also, your practice is paying off dividends.  Yesteryear, you seemed like a rookie at SMB runs but now, look, you are setting TG records.  Excellent work, man.  Congrats again.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
What's utterly hilarious by now is this post in the DKC1 thread, in a "where are they now?" sort of way. Wink
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Congrats andrewg!  That was a very impressive run.  Star World 1 looked close to perfect, and I never knew about that trick to fly through room 2 in the Front Door.  The Bowser fight was also very impressive.  I hope you aren't going to attempt a 96 exit run now... I don't want to have to play this game again  Wink

Congrats again!
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Madzombie: The old run was 11:10 (like Grenola said I timed it a while ago).
Congratulations on getting the record andrewg. The run is pretty tight.

There are still many things that can be improved, as you know, but getting a perfect run is pretty darn hard to do. I will try to beat this, but I don't know if I will be able to pull off a perfect run.
Edit history:
andrewg: 2007-11-27 03:00:59 am
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Yeah, I figured my run would probably be beaten soon. There are like 4-5 people that I know are capable of doing it. My run isn't all too great so I kind of expected this, but I'll be working on it as well. I probably won't work on it seriously soon unless it is beaten, which I know it will be.

Quote:
What's utterly hilarious by now is this post in the DKC1 thread, in a "where are they now?" sort of way. Wink

Yeah, I remember that post.  It's funny. I do try and speedrun too many games at once though, which is why it takes me so long to get runs up. Looking at that thread makes me want to attempt a run of DKC1 or 2 again. I've always been pretty good at those games and I'd like to see what I can amount come up with.

It sure did take me a while to get the runs I had been practicing for all that time. I guess the practice came thorugh after all. Especially in the last few months I've been doing awesome with my speedrunning even though I now have a job and everything is insanely busy.

Thanks again everyone. I think you guys can look forward to a few more runs from me soon. Maybe in 2-3 weeks. I've got a few games I've been practicing and have 2-3 of them solid enough to make real speedrun attenpts of them now.

Would SDA accept a run of super smash bros on very hard mode? I've heard SDA doesn't usually accept fighting games. Also, If I did all the break the targets with each charcter would I have to also do board the platforms?
Nah, SDA only accepts adventure mode/break the targets.

Unless you've found a shortcut through the game ;-p
Everybody loves Hypnotoad!
I think he may have meant SSB64, not SSBM.
Quote:
I think he may have meant SSB64, not SSBM.

How does that work, still? Very Hard in the regular game? You can't speedrun [most] games designed with a high emphasis on multiplayer.
SSB64 is very speedrunnable. The game is not like other fighting games, and so speedrunning it is different than others in the same genre. Slynk was working on a run, but I don't know what happened to that.

There was some reason SDA doesn't take BTT or BTP videos for the game, but I can't remember what it was. Well I hope we can put some up, because even if they're not world records, it will get the ball rolling on them.

By the way, great job on the SMW run Andrew!
Hi! I'm andrewg!
I can't see a reason they would reject some btt or btp runs. Have they rejected them from others in the past?
Quote:
SSB64 is very speedrunnable. The game is not like other fighting games, and so speedrunning it is different than others in the same genre.

K, I'm a nub nub. How does a non-Break the Targets run work in SSB64?
Edit history:
Manocheese: 2007-11-28 03:33:40 am
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
Quote:
How does a non-Break the Targets run work in SSB64?

Classic Mode (or whatever it's called in SSB64... It is called Classic in SSBM).
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Doing classic mode in SSB64 is really borderline. It might be too repetitive. However, Break the targets and Board the platform runs are just fine, I'm not sure who said they weren't allowed :-/
Yeah, I said it.
Interesting news on the SMW front. I just had a nice little speedrun. Here are my times:

YI2      360
YI3      259
YI4      275
#1      240
DP1      360
DS1      256
DSH      338
SW1      290
SW2      257 (You have got to be fucking kidding me...)
SW3      192
SW4      271
FD      360

My Bowser battle was flawless, slightly better than Andrew's.

=================

I've been evaluating my attempts by time units. They aren't reliable, as a 1-unit difference in completion of a stage could either be half a second or a fraction of a second, but it's been my standard. Anyway, going by timeunits alone, the run appears to be 1 unit slower than Andrew's. However, I've been timing the run in real-time using VirtualDub, and if I'm doing this right, it may actually be an improvement. Even if it's not, I'm sure that I've at least tied the record, which would be good enough for me.

I've screwed up the timing in SMW runs before, so I've checked and double-checked and triple-checked, but this is what I keep coming up with. I'm starting timing from the frame Mario appears at the intro scene, and ending it at the frame that the Princess appears at the end. These are the moments where control over the main character is gained and lost.

Start - Frame 1185 (00:19:770)
End - Frame 40736 (11:19:612)
Difference of - 10:59:842

I'm going to get a video on Megaupload or something later; I want a second opinion before I submit this to Twin Galaxies or SDA.
welcome to the machine
I guess this could be your second opinion: when you compare two times, you may want to try timing both things as opposed to just one.  You really shouldn't have any confusion at all as to which is faster.
That's a good idea, to hear another voice regarding your run. Just like art… the artist may think it's wonderful/crap but other people may say the opposite…

I'm intrigued by your time "units." I have developed a "block" system in planning my runs. Just found it interesting that there's similarity going on here.
Edit history:
Lucid Faia: 2007-12-16 08:48:34 am
Yeah, I said it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ANXWEWLW

That is a low quality version of my run. It looks like it finishes in under 11:01, but I'd like a confirmation. =\

Quote:
That's a good idea, to hear another voice regarding your run. Just like art… the artist may think it's wonderful/crap but other people may say the opposite…

I'm intrigued by your time "units." I have developed a "block" system in planning my runs. Just found it interesting that there's similarity going on here.

...What? When I say "time units," I'm referring to the time limit of each stage.
same here on the 10:59 SDA timing.
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Wow Lucid. Looks like you've beaten me.

I guess I'll get back to that game again.
Edit history:
Trevor: 2007-12-16 03:19:46 pm
gogogo! Grin

not sure if TG takes DVDs btw.
Talk to the Hand
Using very unscientific methods (Just eyeballing the time when you started control and when the princess appeared), I got 11:00, which is still a second faster than Andrew's run.

Gogogosendsendsend!
Edit history:
Lucid Faia: 2007-12-16 09:24:26 pm
Yeah, I said it.
Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I just hope I can finally validate my skills by having a SMW run published here.

I still can't believe what happened in SW2. Especially since everything else was perfect or near-perfect. Looks like there's still room for improvement.
What are good times to have on the GBA version?

My best times:

YI2 - 360
YI3 - 258
YI4 - 275
#1IC - 237
DP1 - 357
DS1 - 247
DSH - 321 (This was done before watching the current SMW speedrun, so I didn’t know about using flying invincibility through the ghosts at the start)
SW1 - 283
SW2 - 254
SW3 - 190
SW4 - 272
FD - 591 (I know this can be improved; one of my Mecha-Koopas hit the propeller and I had to wait for more) (My best time to the boss door is 750)

Questions that I have:

Is holding Down and quickly releasing/pressing B the correct way to do a cape-spin underwater while holding an item?
Is it better to get hit once (saves time) or twice (to become small) in room 5 of Bowser's Castle?
Is this the right topic to post in for SMA2?