Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
molluskmoth: 2015-04-27 03:11:49 am
molluskmoth: 2015-04-27 03:10:36 am
molluskmoth: 2015-04-27 03:09:23 am
MoMo
Quote from Twinge:
The reason for the majority of the cuts is simply "10 times more runs were submitted than we have time for".  Not making the final cut doesn't mean they thought it was a bad run.

Yeah I am aware of that and I know that some games had to be cut.
Im just disappointed (not mad or salty at anyone, just pretty sad) since Im coming all the way from Europe and my run is a cool 20 min run that has never been shown before.
I guess Im not the only one in this situation and most people that had their run cut probably prepared a lot for the event and might now not feel like going. I didnt make my visit depending on making the cut, Ive already spent the 2000€ to travel. It's just a bit less exiting overall now. Having a run in a GDQ is the biggest dream for a rather unknown runner like me, especially if visiting the GDQ is pretty much a once in a life time opportunity due to the high travel costs.

No reason to be salty, there are still many runs to look forward to and I am glad that I can support friends that made it. It might take a few days though to get over the disappointment.
Just found out my Final Fight 2 run got rejected; though it was a longshot, I'm still pleased it made it past round 1 of picks.  Like I said before, I accept what decision they choose, so I'm not as salty as I would've been.  There's tons of good games that could have made it, but with only 7 days and 24 hours per day its kind of hard for them to decide what games will fill in the whole week.

On the plus side, I got my Haggar any% run down to 31:08 now, so its not a total loss; still looking forward to SGDQ.
I have a question for the organizers but anyone can feel free to chime in.  What are your thoughts about allowing the use of Wii U restore points in a marathon? 

Superstar Saga has two points in the game where there's softlock dangers and due to the way the last skip in the game works it isn't possible to use the in game save system until just before the final boss.  The Japanese version of the game has a backup strat which allows for saves but the English version doesn't.  The English version is the fastest version and has less breaks in the action when the game starts to go glitch crazy.

These are basically the main points if restore points were allowed:

+ I can drop my estimate by 10-15 minutes
+ Viewers tend to enjoy English text more even if it's only on there briefly

- Restore points aren't allowed in speedruns (in all communities I've seen), using one in a marathon may give the impression that it's ok to do normally
*Disclaimer: I'm not a GDQ staff member.

Safety saves have been used in the past for instances such as this where a game can just crash/softlock/etc., so it shouldn't be an issue.
SEGA Junkie
This is different from a safety save, though; presumably he would do that anyway but using a restore point would let you get closer than an in-game save would allow, which wouldn't cost as much time if it went wrong.

The only thing I can think of that's remotely analogous is the instant save-load to retry tricks on many PC games, which nobody seems to have any trouble with. But you can do that in the game, so I dunno. I'd lean towards not myself, but I'm probably more attuned to the idea of how it's perceived in the wider community than the average punter. Whether that matters or not isn't really my call, though, so you can feel free not to listen to me, lol.

(Oh wait, I think I misread: do you mean you can't use the in-game save at all until after the softlock dangers? In that case I'd almost just recommend the safer version, but I would be softer on choosing to go the restore point route.)
So Tetris Attack got rejected. Not that i'm complaining about it getting rejected but Pokemon Puzzle League got suddenly un-rejected and accepted again into the Bonus stream of the marathon. I excel as a player and racer for this game also, but the reason I didn't submit it was because Cardsoftheheart had already had it rejected by the time I was submitting my games. I would have loved to have submitted it if I had known it was potentially still a contender after its initial rejection. I'm sort of confused about this and I was wondering if there is a way some of us Puzzle League players can still get into the Bonus submission for that particular game. I'm not sure if they also didn't submit because of this issue but that was my main reason for not submitting PPL.
Quote from mike89:

(Oh wait, I think I misread: do you mean you can't use the in-game save at all until after the softlock dangers? In that case I'd almost just recommend the safer version, but I would be softer on choosing to go the restore point route.)

Yes, you cannot use the ingame save at all until a certain skip at the end.
<(^_^)>
altabiscuit, you're just hiding the fact you want to show off this, don't you?

While the schedule is being formed, is there any way we can indicate which days we'd prefer to run? Not as in "I need to run on this day or I can't go" but "it would be cool if I could run on these days".
Edit history:
puwexil: 2015-04-27 09:30:53 am
Professional Second Banana
Quote from abiscuit:
I have a question for the organizers but anyone can feel free to chime in.  What are your thoughts about allowing the use of Wii U restore points in a marathon? 

I'd say it's fine, if you say in your commentary that you're doing it for marathon safety and to allow English text, and that it's normally not allowed in runs.
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from TheSoundDefense:
While the schedule is being formed, is there any way we can indicate which days we'd prefer to run? Not as in "I need to run on this day or I can't go" but "it would be cool if I could run on these days".

The schedule is generally not that flexible. In fact, scheduling is arguably one of the hardest challenges IMO. The schedule changes constantly running up to the event, just to deal with people having to drop out or flight changes/delays, that sort of thing.
<(^_^)>
With respect to scheduling sonic advance, would it be possible to schedule the TASbot for that after the amy run? The viewers will be very underwhelmed if we showcase the amy race AFTER the live TAS since it's way slower (well, since we're not TAS...) and will likely have a very negative reception, as opposed to doing the race then the TAS where we won't have that problem.
Looks like someone saw my post and fixed the Wings of Vi submissions, thank you!
Edit history:
dwangoAC: 2015-04-27 11:24:59 am
Keeper of TASBot
Quote from kirbymastah:
With respect to scheduling sonic advance, would it be possible to schedule the TASbot for that after the amy run? The viewers will be very underwhelmed if we showcase the amy race AFTER the live TAS since it's way slower (well, since we're not TAS...) and will likely have a very negative reception, as opposed to doing the race then the TAS where we won't have that problem.

I fully agree with the sentiments here.  In addition, I'd like to get the runners and their couch to be present for the TASBot run of Sonic Advance, so perhaps the runs could be scheduled back-to-back, with the human race immediately followed by the TASBot run.  One of the reasons we offered Sonic Advance is to demonstrate the differences between realtime techniques and what is possible with frame advance, and I think this would be a good way to demonstrate it without demeaning the abilities of the realtime runners.  Thoughts?
Hax I used all of my strengthz
Is it possible to just outright accept or reject my X3 run instead of making it bonus? Considering its my only game in it would cost a lot for me to attend just for a chance to run it.
twitch.tv/pxmacaiah
Quote from Crak Atak:
Is it possible to just outright accept or reject my X3 run instead of making it bonus? Considering its my only game in it would cost a lot for me to attend just for a chance to run it.

I don't think a single bonus game has not gotten in, so I would consider it pretty much a game in the schedule
Edit history:
Mr_Shasta: 2015-04-28 11:08:21 am
I'd just like to say thanks for giving me a chance in this marathon. Me and a few others have worked hard to break the crap out of Metroid Prime Hunters and I can't wait to show that off 3 months from now!

Now that that's out of the way, I have a little bit of a tech concern for my run. When I stream runs of this game, I do it on a Nintendo 3DS XL Capture Card from http://3dsvideocapture.com. This is what I've done all of my DS and 3DS runs on for over a year now. Also with Hunters it's critical I play on a 3DS because it's much easier to use the Circle Pad instead of the D-Pad on a DS for precise movements in that game. Would it be okay if I brought my 3DS XL capture card to the event and set things up there before it started just to make sure things work or would a 3DS capture card be provided? I'm fine with playing on a regular 3DS, but I might do worse since I've only ever played on a 3DS XL.
You're free to bring your own 3DS, just make sure you get with one of the tech staff well in advance of your run so we can make sure everything works right. (If possible, do so before the marathon begins.)
Edit history:
JTBeezy: 2015-05-07 01:22:56 pm
words on words on words
PJSalt
I'll be sure to do that then. I plan to be there on the 25th anyways so I can make that happen. Thanks Vulajin!
Will runners need to bring their own consoles and capture cards? I don't mind bringing my PS3 and letting other runners use it throughout the week if they want. It's the least I can do for getting the opportunity to show SotC off.
All the things
Bringing your own console is up to you; staff will have other consoles on-hand to play from for the main marathon. There should be adequate numbers of consoles in the practice room as well, but the only way to *guarantee* you have a console to play on whenever is to have your own. That said, definitely bring the console if your game has special needs, such as region, modifications, or otherwise in order to play correctly or perform any donation incentives (DLC etc).

No need to bring any capture equipment. That is all covered by the tech crew.
I would assume anyone who bought a game digitally should bring their console, to avoid making the staff buy a game.
<(^_^)>
Quote from Omnigamer:
Bringing your own console is up to you; staff will have other consoles on-hand to play from for the main marathon. There should be adequate numbers of consoles in the practice room as well, but the only way to *guarantee* you have a console to play on whenever is to have your own. That said, definitely bring the console if your game has special needs, such as region, modifications, or otherwise in order to play correctly or perform any donation incentives (DLC etc).

No need to bring any capture equipment. That is all covered by the tech crew.

Pretty sure it's been implied in past equipment topics that runners are assumed to bring their own game+console
That changed with AGDQ 2015