List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
sumichu: 2015-03-18 08:07:30 pm
sumichu: 2015-03-18 08:07:07 pm
that Metroidvania guy
https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/create
NOTE: Please double-check all of your submissions before submitting.  You WILL NOT be able to edit your entries or submit additional runs once you hit the 'Submit' button.

Timeline:
Submissions end April 2, 11:59 pm EDT (extended due to delayed start)
Round 1 selections will be finished no later than the end of April 4
Round 2 selections/final game list will be revealed April 18
Final schedule will be posted May 1

- Create an account on Games Done Quick (You can do this right now if you wish!), or log in if you already have one. If you attended the last AGDQ or SGDQ, you definitely have one.
- Go to your profile and find the "Submit Games" button. Alternatively, use the quick "Submit Games" shortcut in your user menu.

On the submission form, you will find the following fields:

1. Stream URL (Twitch/Hitbox/etc) - Optional but STRONGLY suggested. We need this to verify you are practicing your game. Note that if you provide a Twitch handle, we will display it during your run.
2. Twitter Handle - Completely optional. We sometimes use this as an alternative contact method, and we may use this in the future for public runner profiles.
3. Availability - Required. You must provide accurate dates on when you are arriving and leaving the marathon. We use this for scheduling. If your dates change, you must update this information!

Below that basic information, you will find the Game Submissions fields.

This has changed from previous submissions, so even if you have submitted before, please read on.

There is a limit of 5 games per person, and 10 categories per person.

The fields are as follows:

1. Game Name - Required. Pretty obvious.
2. Run Description - Required. Maximum 420 characters. Be concise.
3. Game Console - Required. The system you will be playing on. PC, N64, etc.

4. Categories - Required. This section has undergone significant changes. You may add up to 5 categories per game, up to your overall submission limit of 10. This means you could have two games with 5 categories, or 5 games with 2 categories each. Every game submitted must have at least one category.
4a. Category Name - Required. 40 character limit.
4b. Category Estimate - Required. Do NOT include setup time. Do NOT put down your personal best time. Provide a "real time attack"-style time that starts from console power to last input, and make sure you account for mistakes. When practicing, use marathon-safe strategies, and base your estimates off of that. And do not forget to factor in RNG. Remember, use real time, not in-game time.
4c. Category Run Video - Optional, but strongly recommended. Provide a URL to a full, complete run of this category played by you. Production values are not important, as long as we can see what is going on. Twitch highlights, YouTube links, and equivalent are acceptable.

Click submit, and that's it. You will receive notifications every step of the way on your profile (and email, if selected). Keep in mind that there are two rounds of elimination. If you are selected to pass the first round, you are not guaranteed to be in the marathon. Only once you reach the final, second round will your run be locked in. No additional actions are required after you submit your games/categories; your submission is carried over from eliminations to final scheduling.
Thread title:  
What should I put for availability if I have no idea what it will be?
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from peter afro:
What should I put for availability if I have no idea what it will be?

However long you'd like to be there, you will be able to modify this later once submissions have settled down. I would note in your comments that yous availability is questioable however.
words on words on words
Hype! Good luck to everyone submitting!
If I submit a co op run with someone who ends up not being able to go last minute, am I able to still do the run with someone else who knows the game to fill in? Just trying to think of everything that could potentially go wrong haha.
For Fun! For GLORY!!
Step 1: Wait for my vids to upload to Youtube.
Step 2: Submit and pray. Tongue

But a question about estimates I didn't see mentioned. Do we also include time taken for incentives, like extra content or cutscenes?
Fucking Weeaboo
I assume that the FAQ will be updated later? Because it's still talking about AGDQ 2015.
Quote from Sir VG:
I assume that the FAQ will be updated later? Because it's still talking about AGDQ 2015.

Yeah the PR team is working on that.
Quick questions.  First, if your playing NES or SNES games on the Wii or Wii U VC for Wii or Wii U would that be acceptable?  Second, if you can't stream, is there another way to submit the video in question?  I still haven't gotten my stream ready without producing an echo when I use the built-in microphone on my computer and I use a Wii U for my NES and SNES games.  I'll try to get my stream up tomorrow.
Made my submission now but just wanted to add the caveat that the community/game (LADX) is currently under some reform talks and the one category I've submitted (Any% No WW OoB) is likely to become a fairly different run in a month or two's time, with time estimates that are not able to be speculated on at the moment, however it would likely be built largely on the route/run of the video submitted with the category.

I can keep organizing staff posted on this.
that Metroidvania guy
Quote from BoomBoom777:
Quick questions.  First, if your playing NES or SNES games on the Wii or Wii U VC for Wii or Wii U would that be acceptable?  Second, if you can't stream, is there another way to submit the video in question?  I still haven't gotten my stream ready without producing an echo when I use the built-in microphone on my computer and I use a Wii U for my NES and SNES games.  I'll try to get my stream up tomorrow.

You should be listing the console you intend to use, whether it is on the original hardware or a digital re-release (like VC). You can submit Youtube videos, not just Twitch.
I got my only 2 submissions in for SGDQ but I messed up on the estimate time for Super Donkey Kong, should be 00:16:30, not 01:40:00
twitch.tv/deadrobots
For PC games, how do you handle them, is there one centralized PC and you bring your game on a flash drive? and what would you consider boot time to start timing at? Booting up the PC or the game?
PC games are played on GDQ-provided PCs, and you bring your game on a flash drive to install before/during the event. (If there is a legitimate, justifiable need to play on your own laptop, that's an option as long as you provide that machine and it has HDMI out. This has to be worked out directly with GDQ tech staff after game submissions, but before the event.)

The point of the clarification about estimates is to make sure that all of the time is accounted for, including (for example) unskippable cutscenes that might not normally be counted towards time if your game uses SDA timing. Most likely it'll be fine to just put an estimate that counts from starting your game from the main menu until doing the final action.
Quote from romscout:
Quote from BoomBoom777:

You should be listing the console you intend to use, whether it is on the original hardware or a digital re-release (like VC). You can submit Youtube videos, not just Twitch.

Ok, thanks Romscout!
Edit history:
EggmaniMN: 2015-03-18 08:43:04 pm
So this is something I've been meaning to ask and affects whether or not I submit a game.

I have a game that is normally an arcade game, Spica Adventure, which is for the Taito Type X platform. The thing is, Type X isn't an actual arcade board, they're just standard PC's hooked up inside an arcade machine and the only thing you get when you purchase a game for it is the hard drive and usb security key. The vast majority of these games, Spica Adventure included, are easily playable and configurable through a launcher on just about any PC. My question is, for the purposes of the marathon, would this game be okay to submit and have run at all or not and if so, would I list it as Arcade or PC?

If it helps at all, here's a wikipedia entry that describes the parts that the Type X games run on. Spica Adventure is normally on X2 but runs on every PC I've put it on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Type_X
words on words on words
Quote from Vulajin:
PC games are played on GDQ-provided PCs, and you bring your game on a flash drive to install before/during the event. (If there is a legitimate, justifiable need to play on your own laptop, that's an option as long as you provide that machine and it has HDMI out. This has to be worked out directly with GDQ tech staff after game submissions, but before the event.)

what's the process if the game is played through steam?
Edit history:
FanaticDreamer: 2015-03-18 08:49:42 pm
FanaticDreamer: 2015-03-18 08:49:25 pm
FanaticDreamer: 2015-03-18 08:49:21 pm
Let's get frisky.
Hey! ^.^

Question - if you run a game on an approved emulator, would that be allowed? Like bringing your computer or the game on a flash drive? Or would you need to actually get the console to run said game?

And if you need to actually get the console, would they accept an emulator based run if you'd have the console in time for GDQ?

Because I've seen other people who run emu based games and they get accepted but I'm not sure how that goes =/
Quote from JTBeezy:
what's the process if the game is played through steam?

You can use Steam's "create/restore backup" functionality to bring a backup of the game to install on the GDQ PCs. The PCs will have internet access so you can get yourself logged in there, but you'll be responsible for making sure you can access your account in advance of your run. (i.e. you'd better not need to go through SteamGuard when it's time for your run)
Certified Wumbologist
If our best time doesn't have commentary, should we provide that run or a good run with commentary?
Quote from FanaticDreamer:
Hey! ^.^

Question - if you run a game on an approved emulator, would that be allowed? Like bringing your computer or the game on a flash drive? Or would you need to actually get the console to run said game?

And if you need to actually get the console, would they accept an emulator based run if you'd have the console in time for GDQ?

Because I've seen other people who run emu based games and they get accepted but I'm not sure how that goes =/

Generally runs are played on their original consoles or something like the Wii Virtual Console.

You should really mention what game you're talking about as well. Any sort of exceptions would be game specific.
How much interest would people have in doing a relay race for Super Mario All-Stars?
Let's get frisky.
Quote from Cool Matty:
Quote from FanaticDreamer:
Hey! ^.^

Generally runs are played on their original consoles or something like the Wii Virtual Console.

You should really mention what game you're talking about as well. Any sort of exceptions would be game specific.

The game in question is Pokemon Blue, Any % NSC.

I could buy the required stuff to do the run via console...but I hope that my run will still be accepted if it was on an emulator. Or that the emulator run will be accepted since the emulator in question is identical to the system.
Age Restrictions?
Quote from romscout:
NOTE: Please double-check all of your submissions before submitting.  You WILL NOT be able to edit your entries or submit additional runs once you hit the 'Submit' button.

Why is editing not allowed?  Does the current system just not allow it?  Things can change in a run, like a new trick being found that shortens it (which happened to Super Mario Sunshine a year or two ago after it was submitted).