Edit history:
ESA: 2014-02-02 11:00:39 am
ESA: 2014-01-17 03:38:14 pm
ESA: 2013-12-10 07:50:30 am
ESA: 2013-11-21 01:01:19 pm
ESA: 2013-11-21 01:00:59 pm
ESA: 2013-11-20 12:22:19 pm
What is ESA?
A gathering which took place the two last years in Skövde, Sweden. With speedrunners and enthusiasts from all over the world. We hung out, played games and broadcast the marathons on Twitch. The event is hosted by Ludendi, a non-profit video game organization based in Skövde, and made possible thanks to all the wonderful people coming together for a week to share the love for games and entertainment. We want to keep the ball rolling, keeping ESA running as an annual event.

ESA is an on-site marathon, much like AGDQ and C4L. Hosted by other gamers, with a European touch in a part of the world where Sega won the 16-bit console war!
ESA is not a pure charity/speedrunning marathon. While it's true that's what it started as, the event has evolved into a slightly more casual gaming event with a charity aspect attached.

It's an event for everyone, with members from all communities, where we enjoy each other's company and just have a damn good time! You are warmly welcome to attend, even if you are not running a game or commenting on one, and feel uneasy about helping with tech stuff.

When is ESA?
Sunday, July 27th through Sunday, August 3rd are the dates we are broadcasting the main marathon. However we are open from Friday evening the 25th, through noon, Wednesday the 6th at noon for clean up and bonus streams.

What's new this year?
This year we want to emphasize diversity in speed gaming and are opening up game suggestions for longer RPGs, rhythm games, games with gimmicky accessories, shmups and challenging auto-scrollers. Basically anything as long as it's entertaining.
There will be two parallel streams. We are going to do our best to balance them as much as possible. This means that we can hit twice the hours of games. Great isn't it?
We are introducing more transparency in the game selection process. There's currently a focus group consisting of 5-7 people tasked with making the first round of selections.
On top of that we're looking to have a couple of on-site tournaments and maybe put the finals on stream together with the mandatory victory ceremony (including a big fish dropping the trophy!)

Where will it be held?
We are yet again expanding this year. We will again be having the main event at Nyeport in Skövde. Stream-HQ and main practice rooms will be held here. There's one big practice room big enough to not get too crowded, equipped with a projector so you can still watch the stream. Our streaming room has windows and daylight, so vampires and nocturnal creatures beware! Several big common-rooms including the famous green room and a kitchen where you can make toast and store food.

Where will I sleep?
There's a hotel right across the street from Nyeport where we managed to get a group discount. Most rooms are doubles and will cost you 260 SEK (~30€) per night, including free wireless internet and breakfast buffet. There are triplets and quads which are just slightly cheaper, but they are very limited in quantity. There are currently 30 doubles reserved.

If you prefer mass housing like we had last year at the House of Culture, we are looking into either renting the House of Culture again, or something similar closer to Nyeport. Unfortunately, we do not have a set location yet, but it will be cheaper than the hotel if enough attendees choose this alternative. We will get back when we have confirmation.

What will it cost?
There will be an attendance fee set at 50€ for anyone attending for more than one full day. Visiting for one day will still be free.
This will cover prizes, shipping, equipment storage and transportation, badges and will really allow us to improve at the much appreciated breakfast!

What can I do to help?
ESA is possible thanks to people volunteering their time both before, during and after the event. When we ask attendees to partake in the necessary work, it means less stress for the organizers and a more smooth and rewarding marathon experience for everyone. There are several ways in which you can help out that require no special skills or experience whatsoever. There are tasks people have performed in semi-conscious states (though it is recommended to sleep!) while talking to someone, writing an SMS and wearing mismatched socks...

In the streaming room, there will be the old dedicated streaming tech station where people like you can help with handling donations, moderating the chat and other tasks. Everything will follow a pre-formulated schedule that guarantees that all stations are manned at all times, with more people during prime time, and less during graveyard shifts. Everything will be well-documented with elaborate cheat sheets / manuals with images, in addition to which the scheduling will never leave you alone without someone who can help you get started. Our vision is that a trained monkey (or an untrained marathon attendee Wink ) should be able to handle the stream.

A number of people are also just required every day in kitchen-related work and in keeping places tidy. The kitchen work is easily manageable and usually quite relaxed as many mageirocophobics (look it up!) have found out. On average, it has taken the kitchen taskmaster around 5 minutes to explain to people just what they need to do when it's their time to shine [dishes or otherwise].

But in all seriousness, we sincerely hope this doesn't cause people to feel apprehensive about attending the marathon. If we get as many attendees the next time as were present this year, we estimate everyone volunteering for one task slot will more or less cover all the work that can be handed out. On the other hand, in everyone's best interests, we would like to sort out almost all of the volunteer scheduling before the hour is nigh, so stay tuned for a future newsletter about how to reserve a spot of your liking. You will have the chance to see the schedule of runs beforehand so you can make sure never to miss anything of interest due to your volunteer duties.

When can I suggest my games?
Game suggesting will being on 2014-01-25 at 08:00 CET and end on 2014-03-09 at 23:59 CET.
The first cut will be posted around 2014-03-15
The second (final) cut will be posted around 2014-04-15

Link can be found here: [LINK]

Where should I direct further questions?
You should in general try to ask questions that make sense in the respective threads that will be created here on the SDA forum throughout the planning of this marathon. We also have a twitter account where we will answer questions and give out more information on what is being worked on or whatever else we would like to share.

Link to the ESA twitter account can be found here: https://twitter.com/ESA_Official_

Roundtable from 2014-01-17: http://www.twitch.tv/ludendi/b/495986497
Thread title:  
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Sniping first post, in case it's required.
Edit history:
Joshimuz: 2013-11-20 12:24:36 pm
Hype

Edit: Glad to hear you managed to secure a deal at that hotel!
meh
I hope to see even more people this time Smiley 

Hype!
Audio-guy. twitchtv:ohgoddamnit
There will be discipline and no dark souls this time around.
Precursor
So that's my call for trying to confirm borrowing the car again. :V
i'll be there, gonna have to abandon my birthday but screw that xD i'm in if i have the money
:D
HYYYPEEE!

Gonna be great! Cheesy
HYYYPPEEE!!

When can we reserve or book a hotel room?
So much hype.

This is going to be awesome.
I have alwalys woundered, is there any age restrictions?
The cake is a lie
Oooooohmygod I think I can join the fun !
http://twitch.tv/Pyatters
I'll be around.
Quote from Bob5858:

Not really, but don't expect to get in without a guardian if you're like 8 or something. It's not a daycare.

My only question is, how many speedrunners can be crammed into a hotel room :p?
well I will be helping with the chat like last year.
Is quit fun so I like it Smiley
How do we volunteer to help out? Whether in chat or announcements or tech crew? I'd love to lend a hand Smiley
Quote from Bob5858:

Nope no age restictions
http://twitch.tv/Pyatters
Quote from YuKitty:
How do we volunteer to help out? Whether in chat or announcements or tech crew? I'd love to lend a hand Smiley

Second on helping out with whatever if needed. Might as well make myself useful while I'm around.
Quote from Crippe:
I hope to see even more people this time Smiley 

Hype!

I hope we can break the 100 people number this time Cheesy
Quote from YuKitty:

Haha, beautiful that you already ask ^^
Things like streaming, sound or donation stations will be taken care of in a thread closer to the event (think late Spring, early Summer).
Things like tidying up are either delegated aroundabout the same time, or will be spontaneously assigned on-site. ^^
Well, I may have asked already, but are people not running any games (yet), still allowed to go there? I'm going to sweden next year and would like to lurk there as well Smiley
Quote from ESA:
It's an event for everyone, with members from all communities, where we enjoy each other's company and just have a damn good time! You are warmly welcome to attend, even if you are not running a game or commenting on one, and feel uneasy about helping with tech stuff.
Quote from LeFrozer:
Well, I may have asked already, but are people not running any games (yet), still allowed to go there? I'm going to sweden next year and would like to lurk there as well Smiley

You dont have to run games to be at ESA, I have been viewer for 2 years and I still have a blast every year.
We are more than happy to welcome nosy visitors Wink
Quote from Alko:
Quote from YuKitty:

Haha, beautiful that you already ask ^^
Things like streaming, sound or donation stations will be taken care of in a thread closer to the event (think late Spring, early Summer).
Things like tidying up are either delegated aroundabout the same time, or will be spontaneously assigned on-site. ^^

Alko! Cheesy

Awesome I would love to help out if I'm welcome to Smiley
Not sure when we'll be coming this year. I'll check the dates and when it is exactly. I'll need to try and get time off work to go.
I'm so hype :3