List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
error1: 2013-02-11 04:00:59 am
error1: 2013-02-11 03:58:43 am
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
Quote from ChocoPoptart:
So with some of the runs recently I've been a little confused with the timing of the game. Where does it start? Is it when the screen changes, when you land on the ground, or when you click on the box to the first room? I feel like clicking on the box would be the most efficient way of doing it, as you can easily start a timer from there, but it is skipping the turning around part that's there.
The in-game clock seems to run slow, so I don't think it would be used under sda rules

Also, mokesmoe, skipping it's impossible to skip any of the guns by picking up a high version of the gun. You CAN skip the red gun by not picking it up, but you can't skip any of the previous three because of the way that the game is programmed. When you pick up a gun, it doesn't check what gun it is, it just gives you the next one in line. So say you have the green gun and pick up one of the red guns. The end result will be the game giving you the yellow gun. So the only gun you can actually skip having is the red gun, as I mentioned earlier.

Sda time starts when you gain control and ends when you lose control. All these videos end the timing when the shoot the black cube so actual is around a min longer.
From what I've seen the ingame time seems to run slow.
Claimh Happy
yes, that's how SDA timing works. It's rather cut and dry and anyone going for an SDA run won't have any problems timing that.

For non-SDA runs, though, that timing is unnecessary and starting when you select that map would simply be a matter of convenience. We're doing this to have fun, so there's no reason to make it hard on ourselves if we aren't going for submission. It hardly gives an advantage and it's fairly easy to compare an "SDA run" to  this timing.
Technically the esc room is a menu, so starting timing when you click the map makes the most sense to me.
Timing in almost every game starts when you gain control of the character- it is not a big enough issue to say that there should be an exception for this game
Quote from Onin:
Technically the esc room is a menu, so starting timing when you click the map makes the most sense to me.

This "menu" is strange though. What if someone finds some crazy glitch to get through the glass wall in the hub that lets them skip the entire game or something? They never would have clicked the map so this method of timing wouldn't work. This is extremely hypothetical, of course, but I'm just saying.
Claimh Happy
Separate map, doesn't lead anywhere.

Shlepian: Outside of SDA, very few games begin timing like that. For those of us who are just having fun with this run, it's dumb to start our timers at a point we have to react to instead of one where we can be certain we've started it at the proper time.

As for the Hub being a menu, that's technically true. It doesn't really matter, though. SDA runs will be timed after-the-fact and non-SDA runs can start at selecting the box because it's easier to line up (for instance, we would have to do it that way on SRL because it'd be unfair to those with worse computers to start a race on deleting your file).

By the way, an alternative for 100% runs (not for SDA of course, and only until updates start coming): Start a new game, leave it running for an hour and a half to get the sign WITHOUT LOADING THE FIRST ROOM, then exit the game and backup your save. The game always loads facing the signs, so we could seen that you only have those 2, and you have to look to the map to load the first room, so we could see that you didn't open anything up ahead of time. Again, this wouldn't be valid for an SDA run, but it'd be a way for us to get started on 100% runs before the update.
Gets the cake.
Quote from error1:
Sda time starts when you gain control and ends when you lose control. All these videos end the timing when the shoot the black cube so actual is around a min longer.
From what I've seen the ingame time seems to run slow.

Agreed on the gained control bit, but as long as the in-game timer is consistent SDA will still use it. SDA has been known to use unconventional timers, like point values that tick up or down and things like that.
Edit history:
Schlepian: 2013-02-15 04:03:14 pm
Schlepian: 2013-02-14 04:20:32 am
Schlepian: 2013-02-12 04:04:44 pm
As far as the 100% run goes- we could just have it a 99% run and ignore the 90 minute achievement- that would be easier then requiring everyone to wait 90 minutes. Same outcome in the end.

Edit: also as it stands we'd have to decide whether or not to include beating the "boss" as necessary for the run - or just 100% possible rooms and images-1.  That way we could use the in game timer.  But when you beat the boss and it force closes the game- the timer reverts a little i believe. so including that could become tricky.

Didn't the dev say he would make it so you get that poster if you beat the game under the time limit? If so, that's not really an issue.
Claimh Happy
Beating the game is always a requirement in every game with a clear ending. Just because it's 100% wouldn't change that.

As for the timer sign, yes the dev said he'd change it, but he's also having computer issues and can't promise that those updates will come any time soon.
Congratulations Fawwles, you got Notch to tweet about you! https://twitter.com/notch/status/303210822509928448
Something interesting that I just noticed is that if you fall off a ledge without jumping, you can jump in mid air. Doubt it's useful, just kinda silly. Tongue
Meanwhile, sub 4:50! With one pretty bad mistake as well.

Next target: sub 4:40! But it needs a strat change, as I don't see shaving more than 5s off the current one. Any ideas? Wink
Quote from ChocoPoptart:
Congratulations Fawwles, you got Notch to tweet about you! https://twitter.com/notch/status/303210822509928448

Haha, that's awesome. It went from like 3000 views to 12000 overnight, and also got left 100 comments. Makes me want to load the game up again and improve the 4:55 I stopped on.
So I've also been working on running this game a bit.  My current best is around a 5:20 with a few outdated moves.  I've got a question about the first springboard,  is there a trick to getting up and through the fake ceiling in The Chase using only 1 jump reliably?  I almost always need to jump twice to get the necessary height.
Here's a video that 123zc posted a few weeks back
Quote from Blink:
So I've also been working on running this game a bit.  My current best is around a 5:20 with a few outdated moves.  I've got a question about the first springboard,  is there a trick to getting up and through the fake ceiling in The Chase using only 1 jump reliably?  I almost always need to jump twice to get the necessary height.

I think essentially what you need to do is land on the edge of the platform, so that the platform goes down but you stay on the edge off the platform. Then you fall in and land on the platform when it's at it's lowest point.
Edit history:
mokesmoe: 2013-02-18 08:32:01 pm
I think getting the yellow gun though link to the past is faster, although I'm not good enough to time it very well.

I think going through the fly room is the fastest way there, and you can grab the necessary cubes from the fly sign as you drop down.
Indeed, it seems to be faster by a couple of seconds.
It's really that simple, just hit the side of it and fall off. I might look into a more reliable method to hitting it in The Chase.
Claimh Happy
you can also just jump as soon as you land on it. not quite as fast as landing on the side, but you don't have to set it up so it evens out.
Edit history:
joe: 2013-02-21 11:27:10 pm
joe: 2013-02-21 11:25:03 pm
joe: 2013-02-21 11:24:44 pm
joe: 2013-02-21 11:19:12 pm
joe: 2013-02-21 11:19:03 pm
here's a 4:46 or 4:47 or something, i didnt time it too precisely

loads of little mistakes and general slowness, i think 4:40 is super possible with this route, probably even like 4:35, just gotta optimize

does anyone know what the deal is with the last 2 doors in the escape? they seem to not open properly when you walk in the lasers half the time.
bonus little timesaver i just found

Oh, cool! Finally, some competition. I was bit surprised that you managed to beat my time with the same strat! I was expecting some kind of devilish trick at the end, but even with the small mistakes, you just seemed to be generally a bit faster. Nice find with the cube-hop as well!
Quote from joe:
does anyone know what the deal is with the last 2 doors in the escape? they seem to not open properly when you walk in the lasers half the time.

I've noticed the same thing.  In my experience, it seems to fail opening more frequently if I come in at a sharp angle.  If I take a slightly wider turn into the lasers and hit them towards the middle of the beam running almost perpendicular to the laser, I seem to have better luck.