Smiley
Sad
page  <- 1234567891011 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 11 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Huh. But since you're already at the very end of the game, that would be purposeless for a speedrun.
Pretty much. I wouldn't completely count it out, the game is still being updated and we are still figuring new things out.
Edit history:
Endless: 2013-02-07 10:35:34 am
Endless: 2013-02-06 11:29:26 pm
Endless: 2013-02-06 11:27:29 pm
Endless: 2013-02-06 11:25:27 pm
Welp, I humbly present my first blooper. I was about to scrap the run anyway, and then the game made the decision for me.

I'm lazy, so the video is uncut - it's the start of the run to where I stopped recording.

Edit: This is an attempt at a no-esc run. I have some plans and I'll post a video as soon as I get one without a constant stream of ugly mistakes.
I've had that bug happen after experimenting with the cube throwing glitch, except with the sensors leading up to the green gun. I actually had to throw blocks onto both ends of the sensor instead of just walking through for them to trigger :|
I just have to say I'm amazed by the runs you guys are making only a week after this game's release. 5 minutes! Insanity (although I guess you had to use an exploit?).

I just wanted to know if there was any secret ending if you beat the game in under an hour and a half. I thought maybe the "Under Construction" door would be available once the game was completed under that timeframe? I looked at the ending on the 5 minute run and it looked identical to the regular ending. I beat the game with 100% completion and that was good enough for me, I'm not one for speedrunning, but I do want to know if there was anything else that I missed out on.
Edit history:
Endless: 2013-02-07 10:43:45 am
Endless: 2013-02-07 10:42:43 am
Kiwasabi, after some investigation I'm pretty sure that the timer exists just for the little message that pops up when it expires. Perhaps the game's author will add something; he's still planning on adding content through updates.

Edit: If you're looking for a less broken run, the no-esc includes only one exploit as of yet, which is destroying the blocks in front of The End without the red gun. The rest is just alternative solutions to puzzles.
Edit history:
Endless: 2013-02-07 11:37:37 am
Endless: 2013-02-07 11:35:26 am
Endless: 2013-02-07 11:35:09 am
Here's a run that died at the bees in The Chase. Up to that point, it was decent and it shows my optimizations.
I don't think getting the red gun is feasible in a no-esc run; getting to it is immensely time-consuming and the puzzle outside is LOOOOONG, and then you still have to get all the way back to The End, which is several more long puzzles on top of travel distance.

Info in the description.
Edit history:
Schlepian: 2013-02-07 02:27:45 pm
@ kiwasabi here's the vid of me beating the game in the time limit.

also @ endless I also thought that after getting the red gun it would take forever to get back to the end when i made my yellow gun only no esc run- but after rethinking about it, if you just leave back down the shaft after getting the red gun. you'll drop straight back down into the walk room- then just another drop to the end.
Quote from Endless:
I don't think getting the red gun is feasible in a no-esc run; getting to it is immensely time-consuming and the puzzle outside is LOOOOONG, and then you still have to get all the way back to The End, which is several more long puzzles on top of travel distance.

Registered just to respond. Smiley I'm not a good speedrunner (my best is still mid-11s for no escape), but it only takes me about a minute more to grab the red gun and I easily make that up in the end puzzles.

From the yellow gun, back out to "A Jump Too Far" via "Running Into Trouble" just like a no-red-gun run, then instead of crossing, cube-elevator up to "Leap of Faith", run over to the tower, elevator again up to "The Highest Point", (1:10 or so so far from the yellow gun) solve the puzzle (< 10s), grab the red gun, then _jump back down the tower_ (staying on the far wall), land back at "Leap of Faith", and jump down to the fizzle puzzle blocking The End (about 1:30 from the yellow gun vs. 30s without getting red).  (Sorry, no way to record video AtM, hope that's descriptive enough.)

--SMQ
Edit history:
ChocoPoptart: 2013-02-07 02:59:19 pm
I also did a little bit of timing on Red Gun vs. Yellow Gun myself. I found that it takes about 1:10 (as SMQ also mention) extra to get the red gun. Although in my own Any% PB (5:16) it took me about 57 seconds do to all of the block puzzles in the last area. I timed Aurora's 10:29 run and found that it takes more than 3:11 to do the exact same section. If you do the math with those specific times that leads to getting the red gun to be 64 seconds faster.

Although this doesn't mean that getting the red gun is necessarily faster. I don't mean to be rude, but Aurora's run was fairly slow at that section. It's possible that they could've lost over 64 seconds because of this. Although I personally think that getting the red gun is much more feasible to do in this run, even with the possibility of it being a little slower. There'd need to be a little more research into this if we want a solid conclusion.

My conclusion at this point:
Red Gun = Easier and faster on last puzzle, but have to go and get.
Yellow Gun = Don't have to get red gun, but last puzzle is much longer and more difficult.
The yellow gun might be a little faster if the last puzzle is done perfectly.
I got an 8:54 by getting the red gun instead of trying to do the end with the yellow gun, again just timing my first try. So I shaved about 1:34 simply by going up to get the red gun and immediately hopping back down instead trying to do the red gun puzzles.

And yeah, I can't actually be assed to practice my runs, most of what I do is poc Tongue
I'm definitely more if a strategist rather then a  smooth speedrunner - which is why I like to post routes and then have you all improve them Wink 

A perfect run with the yellow gun should be ~ 10 seconds faster then going out of the way to get the red gun.

any% speedruns seems to be getting close to optimal - the seam glitch may prove usefull somehow somewhere- but for now I can't find any use for it in the run.

I think any heavy planning on 100% should wait untill he updates with the pink cubes or not.
Quote from Schlepian:
I think any heavy planning on 100% should wait untill he updates with the pink cubes or not.

I tried starting to plan a 100% route... had absolutely NO idea where to start. This game is just so non-linear it's incredibly difficult to plan a full game route. Plus it'd be even more difficult taking the warping glitches into account.
Claimh Happy
meh. for the most part it just comes down to getting the red gun then ESC warping from puzzle to puzzle. The only exception would be if there was a  puzzle where the blue gun had an advantage but nothing comes to mind there.
Edit history:
Endless: 2013-02-08 01:57:05 pm
Endless: 2013-02-08 01:46:09 pm
Endless: 2013-02-08 01:45:04 pm
Endless: 2013-02-08 01:10:33 pm
What's that timing software that y'all use with the breaks and segments and whatnot?

Edit: thanks Schlepian. More speedrunning noobery - is it possible to get wsplit on top in fullscreen? Lastly, is anyone interested in streamed attempts?
Edit history:
Endless: 2013-02-08 02:46:53 pm
I found a slightly faster route from "I Like To Move It"->"The End" for the No-Esc route - instead of crossing the bridge and staring down the eye door, you just fall straight through and take this little... side passage. Needless to say, I discovered this completely by accident.
It saves time because you don't have to walk and you don't have to deal with the eye door, and it's also more consistent because you don't have to jump across the bridge and risk messing that up.

To land directly in the passage, walk off the left side and immediately let go of W until you hit the ground.
Quote from Schlepian:
A perfect run with the yellow gun should be ~ 10 seconds faster then going out of the way to get the red gun.

I'm not entirely convinced--especially since the red gun enables that slick "grab two cubes from the puzzle" shortcut--but I'm going to have to take your word for it for now since I can't seem to put together a good enough yellow-only run through the final doors to make a fair comparison. I'd love to hear/see from one of the smooth/fast runners on this...

--SMQ
Edit history:
Endless: 2013-02-08 04:30:52 pm
Endless: 2013-02-08 03:52:19 pm
Endless: 2013-02-08 03:42:52 pm
Endless: 2013-02-08 03:38:42 pm
Endless: 2013-02-08 03:36:25 pm
Endless: 2013-02-08 03:34:20 pm
Endless: 2013-02-08 03:32:34 pm
A major step forward for the yellow gun in no esc runs - when you're doing the puzzles, instead of putting a block in, moving it, and repeating, you can just place however many are needed in a line extending from the puzzle toward you, and then move the entire stack in using mouse3 - getting all 5-7 blocks into the puzzle in a little more than the time it would take to do one.
This also helps a TON in moving enough blocks through the fizzler puzzle; instead of putting in two at a time and moving them, you put in 15 or so in a vertical line extending out from it and then move the entire stack in, then move the entire stack to the other side of the fizzler puzzle and collect them there. I did it slowly to demonstrate.

Other things - I worked it out, you need to move exactly 9 blocks through the thing with the slots and the sliding doors at the end of The Escape to be able to complete each puzzle and be able to recycle the blocks to have enough to place them in the slots.
Claimh Happy
You're better off farming extras than recycling them. Iirc you need 14 or 15 total that way, but I'm not sure about that.

Also, for the puzzle you normal steal 2 blocks from with the Red gun, if you steal 4 blocks that's enough with the Yellow gun.
Exactly 9 needed; it's faster to transfer them than to farm any.
Claimh Happy
Faster to farm a few extra. And the puzzle you do at about 3:40 can be done in 2 motions with 3 blocks.

EDIT: I double checked, you need a total of 14. Probably intentional since that's exactly two sets of blocks transfered. Since you have to transfer twice no matter what, it's fastest to just do two full transfers.

EDIT2: When I said you should farm a few extras, I just meant it was wasting time to recycle blocks from one puzzle to the next. Since you only need 14, farming isn't necessary either (although it'd probably be easier/faster to only take 8 or 9 with you from the lower area and farm them for 14).
Quote from Marche_Fighter_Paladin:
Since you have to transfer twice no matter what, it's fastest to just do two full transfers.

It _can_ be done with just 7; I've done it just to test. It's not efficient as it takes longer to move blocks between puzzles than to do a second transfer, but it's not strictly necessary.

--SMQ
Claimh Happy
Can you do a video of 7? I thought it was possible since that's generally how the dev did things, but I couldn't figure it out.
Edit history:
error1: 2013-02-08 10:34:00 pm
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
Quote from Marche_Fighter_Paladin:
Can you do a video of 7? I thought it was possible since that's generally how the dev did things, but I couldn't figure it out.

even if you dupe there is no reason to make two trips

actually possible with just 2 cubes but you might as well take 7