Smiley
Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617 -> <- 1 ... 16, 17 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I'm trying to find a good one around here to buy. There are some options, but I'm afraid someone tries to trick me with a bad one that doesn't last long so I'm beeing cautious.
Edit history:
Mishrak: 2015-03-09 11:09:12 am
I definitely got a bit lucky in that there was an electronics recycling place near me that had a few palettes of these monitors.  I didn't get the ideal one that I really wanted, but I was able to get a quality one that was close enough.

Ordering one without being able to test it wasn't something I was really up for.
For those interested in Theory TASes, I've made one. Feel free to post any doubts or suggestions.

Best I've done so far:

100%
GT - 1:27
RT - 1:59:34

Can't wait until I finally get a new controller. Using a keyboard sucks.
Edit history:
Reeve: 2015-05-27 07:53:15 am
Decided to post here two stategies I found recently.

Ninja Pirates Double Shinespark: I compared the strategy I found (left side of the video) with the fastest double spark beeing used today (right side of the video) which was found by Zoast (as far as I know). The difference in the video is around 75 frames or 1 second and 15 frames. The time saved in my strategy compared to Zoast's is basically shinesparking earlier, but I'd like to point out a few notes of how to make it work in the fastest possible way:

#1 - Don't use a short charge: You need to trigger the second pirate as soon as possible, so it starts moving earlier to the right side clearing the path for Samus to shinespark without beeing touched by him which makes you loose a good chunk of health. There's enough room to charge the shinespark even holding run all the way.

#2 - Don't make Samus to loose her momentum: When jumping to align the door from the previous room, after Samus emerges in the pirates room, players usually make Samus to loose her momentum so she lands closer to the door, I imagine that the idea is to not trigger the first pirate or to have more space for Samus to gather speed enough to pass unharmed through the pirate. As stated above, you need to trigger the second pirate as soon as possible to save time, and by landing further to the left Samus reaches the second pirate a few frames faster.

#3 - Shinespark in the right spot: Probably any shinespark will kill the pirates, but if the pirate jumps you will probably have to jump to collect his drops. If you manage to shinespark in a way that Samus hits that specific block on the ceiling, the Screen will not scroll enough to trigger the ninja pirate's jump, keep holding forward after the crash animation and Samus will move towards the pirate enough to trigger his movements which will make him to loose his invencibility in time to be destroyed by Samus echoes while still on the ground. That way you can just run through the itens to collect them. Do the same for the second shinespark.

#4 - Super Short Charge for the last pirate: When charging the shinespark to kill the last pirate it's better to make it in a short distance, as short as you can. That way, after charging the shinespark, Samus will be closer to the spot she has to be to release the shinespark, so you save a few frames.

https://mega.co.nz/#!D8AxjThZ!h4qDZjSUy4I7bFGfu9zoFOBpFEjS8_4TyD_BefoYJ1M

Pre-Ridley Super Drop: This strategy makes possible to carry a bug to Ridley's door without loosing too much time. The time lost here is around 30 frames, but "IF" you can get a super to drop from it you can get a better fight against Ridley. This strategy requires the ice beam to freeze the blue orb (That's how I've managed to make it work), so you can bounce on it and pass over the trigger point which would make the bug to be facing right instead of left. After landing on the pillar spinjump down to make the bug start moving left, then walljump up as high as you can (It actually doesn't need to touch the ceiling, but you can try and see which is the needed height) before damage boosting, so you give the bug time to travel left enough so when you damage boost the screen doesn't catch up to it and make it desapear. Then just super Missile the eyed door and destroy the bug to collect its drop before entering the room.
My name is 4N6/Forensics.
For those who didn't know Behemoth got sub 43, just thought I should post it here.

Again Congratulations Behemoth!!!
Edit history:
Mishrak: 2015-06-04 11:57:10 am
Phantoon Question:

My understanding is this:  He has 6 first round patterns, and he has 6 second round patterns (2 of which are very rare).  Every round after that (e.g. using a spazer strat), he continues to toss out his 2nd round patterns assuming no rain patterns, etc.

Now, for practice, especially on console, the easiest way to refresh his patterns each time is to save state inside a pause menu before Phantoon finishes his loading animation (where he's invisible) in the first round.  He'll change patterns every time you load state if you do so on the pause screen.

Well, last night while messing around with when to pause before the 2nd round, I saw Phantoon exhibit a very unusual pattern.  Particularly he opened in the very bottom right corner.  I think it was actually Right Slow, but considerably out of position from where he normally loads. 

I can confirm this is on console, NTSC, using Tewtal's savestate romhack w/ an SD2SNES.  Has anyone else run into this?  When is the right time to pause before the 2nd round to get normal pattern loading?
Edit history:
Reeve: 2015-06-05 08:37:59 am
I remember very unusual behavior from Phantoon a few times throughout all savestated runs I've done in my life and when trying to find different strategies. His patterns for 2nd (and other rounds after 2nd) are usually started with him appearing in the top of the screen (left or right), but I remember him appearing in the bottom left and right. Another strange behavior I remember was him taking the opposite direction he should go when he starts moving, for example moving down left for his top left pattern instead of up right.
Edit history:
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2015-08-06 01:21:51 am
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2015-08-05 11:58:54 am
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2015-08-05 10:14:30 am
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2015-08-05 09:23:52 am
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2015-08-05 09:23:41 am
So I'd thought I should post this Alternate Strategy for the Zebetite Glitch with Screw Attack. So after freezing the Rinka just hold down before you get hit by the top Rinka and after you get hit just hold back while still holding down.

The smv was done on the SNES9x v1.52.

Please tell me if this was helpful at all and if increases your consistency with the trick. I believe its about 20 frames or so faster then what people normally do and much faster then shine sparking of course. If you are good at the original way even better. I only made this Alternate Strategy because I haven't really been seeing people do it.
Edit history:
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2015-08-06 05:29:03 am
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2015-08-06 05:28:05 am
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2015-08-06 05:27:43 am
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2015-08-06 05:26:37 am
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2015-08-06 05:12:27 am
Here is another strategy that can be used for 100%. I put a springball strat in and a non-springball strat in that order. The key to the boost is to hold down before the screen fades just go all the way left to the screen. You can collect the e-take after springball but, its the same speed really. I was just showing off something you can use if you like to collect it later. Also ignore the rerecords its been an while since I played most of it was on the shot at the end which I should have spazer/wave or wave equipped anyway.
Hello guys I just recently got into speedrunning SM but I've ran into a problem for practicing while using an Everdrive. I've tried using the SM saving hacks from http://hacks.speedga.me/sm.html but quickly found out they are SD2SNES only and not supported on an Everdrive. Is it just not possible to make this kind of hack work for the Everdrive and am I going to have to do away with my Everdrive and get a SD2SNES?  I also have a Nakitek Game Saver but it's not very useful for practicing since it's Select + R to save and I'm constantly overwriting my current savestate on accident. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
           never a frown
total's response is that the Everdrive does not have enough SRAM mapped, which means there's not enough space within an Everdrive to save all of the data needed for the infohud savestates to function, and that it is difficult to say if the developer of the Everdrive would ever somehow manage to add support for it in the future. Currently and perhaps unfortunately due to how much they typically cost, the SD2SNES is the only option.
Quote from Overfiendvip:
total's response is that the Everdrive does not have enough SRAM mapped, which means there's not enough space within an Everdrive to save all of the data needed for the infohud savestates to function, and that it is difficult to say if the developer of the Everdrive would ever somehow manage to add support for it in the future. Currently and perhaps unfortunately due to how much they typically cost, the SD2SNES is the only option.

Unfortunate indeed. Loosk like I'll be selling my ED and getting a SD2SNES. Thanks again for the reply
What is your button setup that you're accidentally saving state? Also, with a Game Saver + you can't save state while going through doors. You need to wait until you can see some of the screen coming back. The save state gets corrupted if you do it while the screen is black between doors.
Quote from narshe:
What is your button setup that you're accidentally saving state? Also, with a Game Saver + you can't save state while going through doors. You need to wait until you can see some of the screen coming back. The save state gets corrupted if you do it while the screen is black between doors.

It happens mostly when I'm practicing phantoon. I have item cancel on select. I'll select missiles anticipating phantoon to open his eye but when he doesn't I press select for item cancel while still aiming with R and that's when it happens. It can be avoided but I'm just bad. Isn't a problem now though since I got an SD2SNES which overall is much more convenient for practicing. Practicing zeb skip with a gamesaver is a hassle since you'd have to play all the way till you reach zebetites then make a savestate. Whereas with an SD2SNES I can practice it immediately.
Edit history:
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2016-01-16 11:15:52 pm
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2016-01-16 11:15:26 pm
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2015-11-08 11:27:05 am
Hey Zoast, Congratulations on your new time!!! Haven't seen you stream in a while so I figured I'd just congratulate you here.

For those who haven't seen the run here is the link.

http://www.twitch.tv/zoasty/v/22483230
Hey can anybody explain or point me in the right direction for how to execute the spike suit glitch Zoast has been using in his new 100% runs (congrats on all your new WRs btw!)

I've watched a bunch of videos and slowed down the runs and Zoast's 100% X-ray strat highlight and for whatever reason I just cannot get it to work. All I've been told is that you unmorph on the same frame that you are taking damage, and then use your shinespark immediately after (next frame?), which results in a delayed shinespark and a free extra.

When I've tried to use the strat myself, I can't even engage a shinespark after touching the spikes until I touch the ground again. I have tried pushing both R and Up to engage and Samus just won't fly! So not only can I not get it to work right after taking the damage, I can't seem to shinespark in the air at all unless I touch the ground first (which obviously I'm doing something wrong because in all the videos it happens right after the spikes lol)

Anyway sorry for the long post, I just really wanna get this down! I'm not very good at full runs, but I LOVE learning and using the strats. It feels so awesome when I pull one off Smiley

Thanks!
Edit history:
Reeve: 2016-01-02 03:15:22 pm
Reeve: 2016-01-02 03:14:44 pm
After charging the spark, morph and run into the spikes you want to perform the trick. You have a 2 frames window to unmorph, the one Samus touches the spikes or the next one. After doing this you now have to activate the shinespark by pressing jump right after Samus unmorphs. If you managed to unmorph, when touching the spikes, in the first frame, then you have 2 frames to activate the spark after Samus unmorphs, but the first one doesn't trigger the spark glitch, it just activates the normal shinespark, only the second frame will give you the flash suit. If you managed to unmorph, while touching the spikes, in the second frame, you have only 1 frame to activate the shinespark, which is the magic frame that will give you the flash suit.

Something you have to understand, if you unmorphed in the right frame (while touching the spikes), Samus will be "floating" in the air for a brief moment, so even if you don't activate the shinespark you'll see her in the air for a few frames. The best you can do is to try to get her floating in the air to get the right timing, and then go to the second step which is to activate the shinespark. Remember that if she doesn't activate the spark right after unmorphing, you didn't get the trick and you have to try again. As soon as Samus starts falling you can't activate the shinespark anymore untill she reaches the ground.
THANK YOU. This was exactly the type of explanation I was hoping for! Cheesy time to go grind until I figure out the timing!
Its a very difficult trick so good luck!!! Also something to mention is you have to let Samus stay stationary in the Shine Spark for the amount of time she turns blue, then you spark.
I've been playing with this on and off since the explanation. It's difficult enough that I've actually switched back to my old SNES rather than continuing to try it on the Wii U (curse you input lag..) it definitely is very difficult! I think I've hit the unmorph window a few times but I can't seem to ever get the spark to activate unfortunately. I've tried mashing on both R and Up but no luck yet. I'm sure I'll get it eventually. It took me like 10 hours to get short charges to work at all last year.

I wish there was a good tutorial video out there that I could slow down, but all I've been able to find are the TAS videos (with no button input on screen) and Zoast's X-Ray strat video, which is hosted on twitch and isn't the best player to scrub through and look at lol. I'm also having trouble deciding how to hold the controller to unmorph, since you have to hit up to do so after obtaining springball. Can get kind of awkward down in the croc room since you have to push yourself left into the spikes and then unmorph on the right frame!

Man I love this game.
I downloaded the Zoast VOD and here's what I found:

He pushes up to exit morph ball on frame 2 (1 frame after spikes)
Next 2 frames have no inputs
Then he pushes A (this is when he's still mostly in ball form)
Then there are 6 frames with no actions
Last, as soon as Samus enters the "standing" position, he pushes A again, and she enters shinespark state.

I'm assuming the frames from the video are not going to be matching up with the game frames exactly...but maybe. Either way, are we looking to activate the spark on the standing animation, or before it?
Edit history:
Reeve: 2016-01-12 03:55:58 am
Reeve: 2016-01-12 03:55:50 am
Reeve: 2016-01-12 03:55:18 am
Read the description and see if it helps:

Edit: A question for Zoast: I was discussing this with Behemoth yesterday, so I'll just copy paste what I wrote in m2k2.

Quote from Reeve:
Yeah, it's very unfortunate that there's no aplication for this trick in any% as far as I know, except for TAS, but I'm glad Zoast managed to find a use for it in 100% runs. I was actually thinking it could save more time on top of what Zoast came up with. I call it "Double or nothing!". The idea is, if you can carry the spark glitch up to The X-ray entrance, instead of using it right away, use it to get another spark glitch on the spikes on the ground, this way you can shinespark as soon as Samus get's the blue suit and then you still have a stored spark to use on the way back. I don't know how much time it would save, but if you're consistent in getting the spark glitch, then it could be interesting. The name I came up with is not related to how much time it saves, but the fact that if you try the trick then you need to do it twice in a row, otherwise you have nothing. hehehe...

Have you considered this?
           never a frown
I mentioned that to him the day after I woke up and saw the Croco -> X-Ray spark strategy as being a potentially faster but obviously way riskier option for the suit.

Besides the application on Draygon I have had in my pastebin for a while as a backup to blue suit or a way to 'trade up' from blue suit in the event drops need to be collected (this saves ~4 seconds over collecting with blue suit I believe, but is risky), it would also save time if there was a way to have a shinespark suit for the Super Metroid in 14% Speed (or a similar category), as you could remove the stun effect from hitting 01 energy after the drain with it if timed properly, which I think would save ~8 seconds in the category if you factor in everything.

The issue is there doesn't seem to be any place to generate a shinespark suit from after Draygon, and you would want to use any blue suit or shinespark suit you get at Draygon to fly back through Colosseum instead of keeping it. Perhaps if the 'slopespark' method or something similar were applied instead, it could be possible, although obviously tough to execute quickly enough to save time and not accidentally use in the interim.
Do you have any idea of how much time it would save in the X-Ray area using the double spark?

Yeah, it's a shame that such a cool trick is not that useful in realtime. Well, at least it made possible the new any% TAS and the recently discovered 13% TAS. Also some cool tricks, like the LN spark glitch in Vertical Pirates room (The Worst Room in the Game) to get an extra spark to use diagonally in the next room and other surprises to be seen in the new any% TAS.

The 14% speedbooster idea seems interesting. I guess when you say 8 seconds you're not considering how much time it would take to perform the spark glitch, right?