page  <- 1234567891011121314151617 -> <- 1 .. 8 .. 17 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Willing to teach you the impossible
Quote from Elpis_TK31:
I also can't seem to do the "pass through ceiling" stuff in the Wrecked Ship and Maridia (spring ball access w/o grapple) -_-
Quote from Elpis_TK31:
Can somebody explain to me how to do a mockball without having to make a full jump/hold the jump button down/hitting a ceiling?
dash run and hold jump like normal, when the desired height is met release jump then hold it again BEFORE holding down. If you press down before the second press of jump, samus will stop in mid air. Not cool.

Quote from Elpis_TK31:
I also can't seem to do the "pass through ceiling" stuff in the Wrecked Ship and Maridia (spring ball access w/o grapple) -_-
spin jump into the gap and just before you land inside the gap, hold up. Now samus should be in the correct position, simply jump while still holding up. This is how i do it anyway but irc there are other ways.

The Maridia spring ball access is the same principle except much harder due to having to get the exact timing for freezing the creature as it begins to hop. The difference though is that you don't hold up, but instead after you spin jump onto the creature you have to make samus crouch and then jump.
Smörgåsbord
http://www.twitch.tv/kottpower/c/2133248
It seems sub 46 will come soonthumbsup
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2013-04-10 11:20:26 pm
During MB fight, why is the stand up glitch not used anymore? Would it not save time during the final fight or does it cause more lag than it saves?
Shmus
The trick to standup glitch is to take Varia Suit off before being hyper beamed.  As a result the hyper beam does 6 tanks worth of damage, so in any% you simply can't survive it.  Grabbing extra tanks of course is slower.
Gotcha. I really did not know how it worked. Thanks for the info.
(user is banned)
Edit history:
DecafGrub47393: 2013-05-17 06:56:09 pm
Just got a PB of 299805 frames real time/1:03 gametime while skipping the giant metroid
Smörgåsbord
Oh nice! What is your stream, I like watching SM! Congrats on getting the big boi skip!
I forgot to stream it accidentally.
<(^_^)>
Quote from DecafGrub47393:
I forgot to stream it accidentally.

accidentally? <_<
yes.
PAL 50Hz KILL ME NOW
Quote from giganotabehemoth87:
dash run and hold jump like normal, when the desired height is met release jump then hold it again BEFORE holding down. If you press down before the second press of jump, samus will stop in mid air. Not cool.

The Maridia spring ball access is the same principle except much harder due to having to get the exact timing for freezing the creature as it begins to hop. The difference though is that you don't hold up, but instead after you spin jump onto the creature you have to make samus crouch and then jump.

Thanks alot for helping! I'm still struggling with the mockball, but I just passed through the ceiling near the spring ball Smiley 
No problem :).

Though I actually messed up my explanation of the mock ball regarding how it can fail, lol. Holding jump the second time after holding down d pad is fine contrary to what i said. But what can mess it up is waiting too long to hold jump and thus not doing it before you need to press down and forward on the landing.

For an example of a failed one: Run dash, hold jump, release jump, hold down, land and press down-forward, then hold jump.
Reason for failure: the second jump hold was not done before the landing button sequence.

The correct way: Run dash, hold jump, release jump, hold down, hold jump again, land and press down forward.

Note: For this method, down has to be held for the duration of the time until the second jump hold is pressed, then you can safely let go. Otherwise she will stop in mid air.

The other method for controlled height mock balling is to simply hold jump, release jump, then press and hold it again, before pressing down. For me this is the better way because it means down only needs to be tapped before landing, because jump is already being held !

Practice at the landing site next to your ship at 50% speed on emulator. This should help break it all down.
I've beaten this game many times growing up, and I'm playing on an emulator right now going for a cold run. I guess 2 hours for Any% would be a good target.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from bigdongstudios:
I've beaten this game many times growing up, and I'm playing on an emulator right now going for a cold run. I guess 2 hours for Any% would be a good target.

Real time, yes. Game time, no.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there a wiki for speedrunning this game?
<(^_^)>
Not an up-to-date that i know of; IIRC a lot of discussion is done on the irc channel (irc.speedrunslive.com and #supermetroid i believe), but someone should write up the SDA knowledge base and reorganize it, hint hint

oh fine, i'll organize some of it... though my knowledge is limited so i can't do everything for this page
This is about as close as it gets: http://deanyd.net/sm/

This is my latest and best attempt on any% for NTSC. I have been semi secretly working on this for several months, starting last year. It uses the realtime route from Zoasty, Kottpower and co. To my knowledge i think it is the first to achieve 29, and it was my goal from the beginning to get it so, for this i'm very happy with it. However, while it does have some quite lucky boss fights, it is far from perfect. I messed some of my favourite and fast strats throughout the run which i never usually mess up. The realtime sits around 45:22. but i believe with some further attempts i could knock it down to 45:05 or thereabouts. Sub 45 would be phenomenal. It's now just a matter of having enough willpower to improve it.
Congrats dude, I'm really glad to see you running the game again! I'll make sure to watch this later.
Congrats on :29 Behemoth!! Truly an amazing achievement
Edit history:
Svenne: 2013-07-26 08:06:09 pm
Smörgåsbord
Most awesome dude!

Edit: Please submit!
Thanks guys !

I'd only submit now if i knew a run was truly unbeatable. As it stands, this is far from safe. SM is highly competitive at the moment,  and the arrival of real time being the valid category it now is, makes the evidence of quality stand out or not. You can gauge what the in game time is from the real time, if we all take the same route for example.  Plus i did this run more for just a personal goal really.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Wow behemoth, 29 is amazing! Those new strats were really sweet, congrats!