Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617 -> <- 1 .. 11 .. 17 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
#FailFish
Oh dang, I forgot to do that last night!  I will try to do so this evening.
I did find Zoast's any% tutorial and started watching that. I think you may have been referring to that actually, as the video is like 7 hours long haha.

I finished my run today as well, and clocked in at 1:13 IGT. Not bad considering I didn't abuse save states, except to practice the Metroid skip which I knew still needed some work. Only lost 9 minutes compared to my other run. So now... I guess I'll finish Zoast's tutorial and watch his more recent videos as well. See what's up. Get back to work on a sub hour IGT this weekend and start focusing on real time whenever I manage that. Smiley
#FailFish
Great job!  Yes, I was referring to his any% tutorial.  It's unbelievable, but very details.  I'll post the link anyway in case someone else stumbles across it.

http://www.twitch.tv/m/514122

and Go1den's:

http://www.twitch.tv/m/665441
Woo! I got my IGT run over the weekend with some modest segmenting. Came in a 0:55. ^_^ happy day! Time to start working on realtime and see if running this competitively is something I'm actually interested in or not... Smiley thanks for all the links Antilles!
#FailFish
My pleasure, man!  Welcome to the club!
Edit history:
shotgunninja: 2015-01-29 04:13:02 pm
shotgunninja: 2015-01-29 04:11:35 pm
Howdy!
Thank goodness this is here, I absolutely love watching Super Metroid speedruns and I've been aching to start working on one using the Wii VC version. I'm finally getting somewhere in my casual first playthrough, and I'm also starting to get comfortable with the controls after a long time of no playing after graduating college. There's one other guy in my hometown who runs SM who I know from college, but I've fallen a bit out of touch with him, and I've been skimming the forums for this exact thread.

What is recommended as a controller and hardware? Original SNES, Classic Controller, or Gamecube? I should be able to scrounge up all of them, but I want to know if any have distinct limitations due to their design (ie. buttons that suck to mash, restrictive D-pads, etc.)
#FailFish
I'm actually curious as well about the various VC controller options.  I think far and away most runners use original SNES for this game, and mostly I've used an SNES emulator with an official controller/USB adapter.  I need to switch to using Wii VC for my game though (DKC2), since that's a faster version. 

I don't personally like the feel of the Wii Classic Controller - can anyone comment on whether the Wii Classic Controller PRO is better? (if no one knows here, I may make another thread about this)

The thing that most bothers me about the former is that the L & R buttons aren't as responsive as a SNES controller's.  In Super Metroid, those buttons are used pretty regularly for arm pumping, ledge grabbing, and of course general aiming, so I don't like it for this game either.

I'd say go SNES if you can, but if anyone out there can tell me that the Wii CC Pro is better, I'll probably get one.

Howdy!
Okay, cool. I'll start saving up for a SNES and an original copy of the game. I'm sure I could probably find one for sale somewhere on here, too.

Is PAL better, or NTSC? Or does it not matter?
ntsc is the way to go
#FailFish
Good choice on the SNES - i don't think they're too expensive these days.

But on the note of Wii controllers, I ended up getting a Classic Controller Pro over the weekend and I love it.  The buttons are much more crisp and it feels exactly right.  A much easier transition to make from the SNES controller.
Edit history:
Reeve: 2015-02-03 11:24:16 am
Hello everyone!

I posted about a two rounds strategy for Phantoon a few days ago while Zoast was streaming (the 43:34 run was actually happening) but I'm not sure if it was taken serious or not, so I'll post it here for anyone interested in trying.

There's actually no secret in two rounding Phantoon, he has 2500 health points, each missile inflicts 100 health points damage and each super inflicts 600 health points damage (as you know when you shoot a super Phantoon will desapear and return with the slow pattern where you can't hit him, so you need to fire the super when Phantoon has only 600 health points remaining). So you need to fire him 19 missiles + 1 super missile. The best setup I found is to shoot 10 missiles in first round and 9 missiles and 1 super in second round. It would go like this:

1st round: Shoot 4 missiles, run to the right side of the screen (and pray for not having flames on your way that you can't handle), wait till Phantoon is as far as possible from Samus and start shooting the 6 missiles while moving towards him (the doppler shots).

2nd round: Shoot 4 missiles, run to the right side of the screen, wait till Phantoon is as far as possible from Samus and start shooting the 5 doppler missiles, then quickly change to super and shoot to kill him. If it is a top left pattern Phantoon will be in the top of the screen and you need to fire the 5 missiles + 1 super while holding the R button (default setup), but for this specific pattern it's very hard and it's probably better to let him go off screen, position Samus in the left wall and wait for the right moment to shoot the 5 missiles + 1 super.

I practiced this trick a lot and can get it with a good consistency as long as I'm lucky enough to have no smokes in my way. I've been practicing the segment from the Ship to LN elevator on emulator and managed a two rounds a few times. I'm attaching a smv of my best attempt up till now. Although I played on emulator I went from the ship to LN elevator without using savestates.

Anyway, here goes the smv and the emulator to play it.

Btw, on a side note I'd like to congratulate Behemoth for his 43:11 run. He actually got a 43:11 twice, one on sunday and another one yesterday. He is waiting for an oportunity to visit a friend of his that will convert the files in the dvd disc to a format that he can upload to youtube.
Forgot to attach the files. Here it goes:

The movie file is already in the "Movies" folder.
Attachment:
Edit history:
zoast: 2015-02-03 08:05:39 pm
thumbsup
There is a SFC controller that Nintendo put out exclusively on Club Nintendo Japan too. I haven't used it, but I'm guessing it feels just like the real SFC controller. Kinda spendy though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R02-06-NEW-RARE-Club-Nintendo-Japan-Wii-Classic-Controller-SNES-super-famicon-/171667913300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f8347a54
Quote from zoast:
thumbsup

thumbsup
Did I read that correctly?  Behemoth has a 43:11?  Wtb video pls.
I actually managed to do two runs with the same time on two consecutive days. One on Sunday and the 2nd one on Monday. The 2nd run might be a 43:12 I'm not sure yet. My DVD recorder is a little old now and the discs can be a bit iffy as well. The 2nd run used a new disc from the batch so that one should be ok but the 1st one had been used quite a bit already. My recorder usually completely refuses to play them back but it doesn't necessarily mean the discs are fucked. this happens all the time. I need to go round my friends house who has a dvd drive that can read my discs, then we can know if the discs are fine or not (they should be). Then we can upload at his place some time at the weekend as I have done for the majority of videos in the past. I'll try to upload both runs. 1st run was cleaner outside of bosses but the 2nd run had great bosses but a few more mistakes outside of them.
Quote from giganotabehemoth87:
I actually managed to do two runs with the same time on two consecutive days.

Very cool.

One on Sunday and the 2nd one on Monday. The 2nd run might be a 43:12 I'm not sure yet. My DVD recorder is a little old now and the discs can be a bit iffy as well.

This is really cool.

My recorder usually completely refuses to play them back but it doesn't necessarily mean the discs are fucked. this happens all the time.

Lol, cool Smiley

I need to go round my friends house who has a dvd drive that can read my discs, then we can know if the discs are fine or not (they should be).

Hahaha, yea..cool.

Then we can upload at his place some time at the weekend as I have done for the majority of videos in the past.

Pretty cool.

I'll try to upload both runs. 1st run was cleaner outside of bosses but the 2nd run had great bosses but a few more mistakes outside of them.

Cool.
I actually managed to do two runs with the same time on two consecutive days. One on Sunday and the 2nd one on Monday. The 2nd run might be a 43:12 I'm not sure yet. My DVD recorder is a little old now and the discs can be a bit iffy as well. The 2nd run used a new disc from the batch so that one should be ok but the 1st one had been used quite a bit already. My recorder usually completely refuses to play them back but it doesn't necessarily mean the discs are fucked. this happens all the time. I need to go round my friends house who has a dvd drive that can read my discs, then we can know if the discs are fine or not (they should be). Then we can upload at his place some time at the weekend as I have done for the majority of videos in the past. I'll try to upload both runs. 1st run was cleaner outside of bosses but the 2nd run had great bosses but a few more mistakes outside of them.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but why don't you stream? I can't get enough Super Metroid. Smiley
sukusuku hakutaku
he should definitely get on streaming. this kind of thing will just raise more and more disdain as time goes on (not implying anything but its obvious its hard to say w/o it)
Quote from Zecks:
he should definitely get on streaming. this kind of thing will just raise more and more disdain as time goes on (not implying anything but its obvious its hard to say w/o it)

If he doesn't want to stream, that's his choice, and we need to respect it. If it's due to equipment or something, I'd be willing to donate to help get him get up streaming. I enjoy watching the top tier runners, and would watch his stream.

i hope you can get the records working. congrats on the runs anyways!

Quote from narshe:
Quote from Zecks:

If he doesn't want to stream, that's his choice, and we need to respect it. If it's due to equipment or something, I'd be willing to donate to help get him get up streaming. I enjoy watching the top tier runners, and would watch his stream.

this. i'd be willing to help if that is the case, too.
Quote from narshe:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but why don't you stream? I can't get enough Super Metroid. Smiley

He doesn't stream because his runs are spliced

Couldnt beat 43:46 for 3 months, then 2 43:11's back to back?

There are alot of people accused of splicing who do stream, and yet you expect people to believe your runs when you have never streamed and just so happen to always beat zoast right away with a ridiculous run?

You are cheating to get attention, and alot of people suspect it
You might want to throw some proof out there before you accuse someone of something like that.
I've been a runner for a very long time before the majority of SRL even started. I've used youtube as a means to present my times for years. Streaming is not something I see as a necessity. As it happens I don't have a very fast connection and do not currently have the means to stream anyway.  I appreciate the offers here to help me out btw. I may get back to some of you when i can.

For these runs I have been grinding since Kottpower started getting low 44's. I'm sorry for the coincidence of Zoast getting wr hurts so much but you're going to have to accept it. It's a real shame people are not accepted anymore because they don't stream. I consider myself an old school honest player, but that just doesn't cut it anymore for some modern viewers. Zoast is capable of this time. You need to understand that other people are too.