page  <- 123456789101112131415 -> <- 1 .. 12 .. 15 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
exileut: 2015-02-02 12:59:31 am
7min 38sec of grinding. Doesn't sound too long in an 8hour game. Could be worse I guess. A better thing to think about is the weeks of manipulating saved for those boss fights. And by weeks I mean burned out in the first day and quit.
steak Steak STEAK!!!
But remember that that's just for Sebucus.

You still need another three million G for Karisto.  But you get far more efficient items in Sol as far as Coin -> G transfers, so it's only about 39,100 frames to get the necessary coins, since we get a 1000 Coin -> 25,000 G item and a 100 Coin -> 3000 G item there.

So, 20 minutes, give or take, to grind that much money.  It'll save you several hours of in-game time and weeks of manipulation, I can promise that.
Edit history:
exileut: 2015-02-02 05:02:17 am
exileut: 2015-02-02 04:57:09 am
exileut: 2015-02-02 04:38:34 am
exileut: 2015-02-02 04:21:54 am
exileut: 2015-02-02 04:21:40 am
exileut: 2015-02-02 04:20:36 am
exileut: 2015-02-02 04:20:32 am
exileut: 2015-02-02 04:19:11 am
exileut: 2015-02-02 04:17:39 am
exileut: 2015-02-02 01:20:20 am
exileut: 2015-02-02 01:15:42 am
I feel like some progress has been made. I need to test selling the first batch to weapon vendor trip time.

What is next? Less can be manipulated in battles than I would like. Damage ranges are maybe 5% and there are no critical hits. So damage rounds should follow yours pretty closely. I don't see many rounds being saved here. Staying alive is easier, but sometimes enemies will queue an attack in advance, and I can only change the damage it does. Rare so far. I need to research these unchangeable attacks more.

Edit: Any thoughts on a capture card? It would be cool to share videos of strategies. I haven't played the game in so long I had to look up where to go after east voz forest! I was trying to go directly to ancient cave. My own fault for skipping dialog I suppose.

Edit2:
It looks like 49 slots rounds is 36156coins not 36780. 50 slots rounds are required, 37156coins = 12857 slots frames.
Current rough total is 27575.

Edit3:
463 frames to weapon vendor.

Edit4:

410,400 G
534 items (12,282)

This might be the route:
1. 12857 (50 slots rounds) for 36,780 coins (37,156 coins actual)
2. 09108 (Buy 99 Phoenix + 297 Elixir) (23 frames each)
3. 00463 to weapon vendor (exit back entrance)
4. 00116 (Sell 99 Phoenix + 297 Elixir) (29 frames per stack)
5. 00463 to coin vendor
6. 03174 (Buy 99 Phoenix + 39 Elixir)
7. 00602 to item vendor
8. 00044 (Sell 99 Phoenix + 39 Elixir)
9. Buy and sell to increase point card. Which items? How many?

Total: 26,827 frames. Excluding buying and reselling for the point card.
steak Steak STEAK!!!
Sounds good.

First, we probably want some leg armor and weapons, and we need to get:
1x Earth Jewel
3x Ebony Jewel

We also need some number of Doors of Wind and of Light (this is going to apply to TAS and non-TAS):
DoL's:
Escape Fire Path
Escape Octam
Escape Ratayu (after talking to Saryu, before Mt. Letona)
Escape Letona
Escape Uru Mais
Escape Conkram (after coming back from the past)
Escape Absolute Fortress (else we have to wait 35 seconds, and we don't want to do that).
Escape Rikuroa (after Seru-kai)

Doors of Wind:
We have 2 already.  These are to warp to Jeremi after triggering Star Pearl, and to Octam after getting Star Pearl (shorter walk to Shadow Gate)
Karisto Station (after Sol)
Usha Research Center (after Uru Mais)
Buma (after above, before Nivora); I previously thought that entering Buma would always trigger the cutscene, but you can enter and leave without getting 3 minutes of dialogue.
Buma (after Nivora - this is a bit faster than walking)
Sol (after Buma, talk to Grantes)
Buma (warp back, get Soren Flute)
Uru Mais (after Juggernaut, go to Seru-kai)
Optional: Soren Camp if we need to sell some items/accessories before Cort 2 - ideally, we need 49,995 points for this fight
Rim Elm (Juggernaut dungeon)

At some point, we may want some Healing Flowers because this is faster than using Orb, but ideally, we won't need too many.

Really, we're just going for whatever is going to be fastest right now, and we want to have as close to 9,511 points as possible after taking into consideration whatever else we buy before Xain in Underground Octam.
Husband, Father, and Gamer.
AMAZING game. One of my favorite PS1 RPGs. Never watched a speedrun of it tho.
Edit history:
Drifting Skies: 2015-02-07 12:22:23 pm
Drifting Skies: 2015-02-07 12:21:36 pm
steak Steak STEAK!!!
Quote from exileut:
Edit: Any thoughts on a capture card? It would be cool to share videos of strategies. I haven't played the game in so long I had to look up where to go after east voz forest! I was trying to go directly to ancient cave. My own fault for skipping dialog I suppose.

Excellent news on this front: I got a chance to purchase a capture card and some composite video splitter plugs today.  May not be up to SDA's A/V standards, but I should be able to start streaming and/or uploading to YouTube fairly soon. It will probably take a couple of weeks for me to get the streaming set up, download the necessary drivers, software, etc., and block off a full day to do so, but I am hoping to stream a single-segment attempt of Legaia sometime by the end of the month.  Will post details (location / time) when I have everything figured out.  Plan on it being on a Saturday, from ~10:00 AM MST to 9:00 PM or so.

(I will need to get a microphone for audio commentary at some point as well before that point.)
That is good news. I look forward to it.
steak Steak STEAK!!!
Will anyone be around either this Wednesday or this Sunday?  I'd like to do a little test / debugging for the capture card / recording and streaming to make sure there aren't any major issues with the stream going into a full-game run toward the end of the month (right now, I'm leaning toward Saturday, 2/28).  My plans are to do some test fights of Berserker to test out some strategies for fighting him at level 10-11 using an Earth Jewel-based setup.  Maybe do some slot machine segments in real-time too.
I am available. What is your twitch name?
steak Steak STEAK!!!
I see no reason to change usernames between services, so I will be streaming out of twitch.tv/driftingskies

I'll probably be doing some streaming on Sunday afternoon; I haven't had much time to work on my dissertation this week due to getting all this set up and if I don't have some progress on that by the weekly meeting on Thursday, I'm going to get chewed out, so I want to go ahead and plan to spend the majority of the day Wednesday working on that.

My guess would be somewhere in the 1:30 PM MST (3:30 EST, 8:30 GMT) range, but I'll post a for-sure time later this week.  Do note that I don't have a microphone yet, and there's going to be some audio de-sync if I can't get some help getting set up.  This is at least partially to calibrate my stream since this will be my first time streaming/recording and I'd like some technical assistance from someone on the other side of the internet.

It's my hope that this time should be at least reasonable for anyone in the USA or Europe, even if it's not the optimal time.  Unfortunately, geography is going to dictate that I can't set up a time that's optimal for everyone.

Also, if anyone has advice on the audio-desync issues, please post in my thread in Tech Support, because I'd like to spend more time playing and less time fixing up the stream.
Nice Drifting! I am following you. I can't watch you on Sunday because I'm streaming myself, but I hope you get the settings together. I could guide you if you have a Dazzle DVC 100. I know everything about that one. ;-) I also have a Roxio HD Capture Card for HD footage.
steak Steak STEAK!!!
It's definitely a Dazzle DVC series, but I don't know the exact model number.  What I do know is the video is delayed about 4 seconds compared with the video, although I don't know if that's constant or if there's progressive video de-sync.  If you've got suggestions on how to fix that or what might be causing the problem, let me know.  I probably won't be recording this since it'll just be some practice segments, but I do expect to be recording/streaming a full game single-segment attempt two weeks from now (about the end of the month).
Edit history:
Deathtome: 2015-02-10 01:39:22 pm
Deathtome: 2015-02-10 01:23:28 pm
My advice would be to get some kind of version of Pinnacle Studios. I am using Pinnacle Studio 14. It is the best tool to record things from Dazzle. Assuming you use splitters and all that correctly, then it should be no problem with delay and such things. Once you have Pinnacle Studio + Drivers for the capture card installed it will work perfectly.

The best thing is that you can import it in OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) the same way you import a webcam. If you get the same issue as I do with sound (no sound when importing it directly through OBS), then you can just stream a region of your screen capturing the preview window of the current recording from Pinnacle Studio. To get the best quality you record from Pinnacle Studio. If you can't get hold of a Pinnacle Studio software (maybe even a trial version would work, I haven't tested), then you could try by only using OBS or AmaREC (don't have any experience with AmaREC).

It's hard to be to any help before I know the model number, but all Dazzle ones are compatible with their Pinnacle Studio software. Wink PS. Use any version of Pinnacle Studio 14 and above.

Also, GOOD LUCK on the Single-Segment! I wish you smash the time down to the ground! Wink I hope sub 11 is possible. It should not be too difficult to beat my time if you are good at slots. Smiley That's my weakness of the run. I never dared to do slots, but I understand I am forced to in the future. ;-)
steak Steak STEAK!!!
I have the Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle software that came with the disc.  My guess is that the video is being delayed in VirtualDub because I'm doing video compression but leaving the audio channels uncompressed and it is taking a few seconds to process the footage; I haven't done any work trying to sync up to OBS yet, but I'll probably do that in the latter part of the week, just to try to fix any major bugs going on.

I'm able to get sound when I import the sound directly from the Dazzle into VirtualDub, but I haven't tested it on OBS yet.  Tried reading in the tech support forum and asking around, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

And if you have the opportunity to watch at some point, I'm planning to do the Single Segment attempt on the 28th, with a target time of 10:30:00, which I think can be done mostly by using the Point Card on Xain, an Earth Jewel strategy for Berserker and cutting out a good bit of the leveling you do in the first half of Sebucus (I'm thinking with Earth Jewels, it's possible to get away with L11 for Berserker).  There's also miscellaneous time to be saved because the slots are much faster than Baka Fighter, better armor, the War Soul, and getting Kemaro - preferably for Saryu, but definitely in Sol Tower.

Anyway, I wish you well with your streams, and I hope that you have some time on the 28th to see this game (hopefully) get utterly destroyed.
Oh, nice! I never used the Pinnacle Studio that came with the Dazzle. If you press "Import" and then select the video source, then I guess it's the same. I know you can get sound by downloading an external program to separately get the audio so that it works 100% in OBS, but I don't need to do that since I just record straight from Pinnacle and stream the preview window. Also I record with compressed MPEG (Video Quality: 10).

Try OBS, the quality is really good there too. Also the best program to stream with in my opinion.

I will definetly be there on the 28th and watch the whole thing. Hopefully you start early your time (before 12:00 daytime? I am +6 hours from your time I assume).

Thanks! I destroyed Legaia 2. If you saw my latest video I managed to get a really good time of 6:48. The run was good enough for me to not see a reason to do a segmented run (which would not save that much time in comparison to single-segment).
steak Steak STEAK!!!
I'm on Mountain Standard Time (Arizona): GMT - 7.  I'm planning to run from 10:30 until 9:30, or thereabouts.

I have downloaded OBS, but I haven't gotten a chance to test the streaming yet.  I will probably do so late Thursday or Friday, just to iron out anything critical so the stream is at least presentable for Sunday, although I stress it's going to have bugs and I am going to be asking for stream feedback during the session this Sunday.

I watched part of your Legaia 2 run but I haven't watched the whole thing yet; I'll wait for SDA to get the video files uploaded and actually start the verification process.  By comparison, I managed to get to the Black Sun event in around 4:10 while I was doing a quick first-half test run, so 6:50 for the whole game is rather impressive.
Alright, I see. That's a good starting time. I will at least be able to watch most of it (hopefully everything).

With OBS you can also record (while streaming) or just record without streaming if you prefer that. The quality is pretty much the same as with Pinnacle Studio (if you get the sound to work that is). I will drop in if I see you online with the test stream. Smiley

Yeah, I guess it's better to wait for the verification process to start. That's not a bad time at all. Probably much better than my first couple of runs up to that point. ;-)
steak Steak STEAK!!!
I may not be able to test stream on Sunday; I am trying to test the recording software, and I'm not really able to capture footage except at something asinine like 10fps.  It's possible that my computer simply doesn't have the processing power to stream, in which case, I may not be able to stream at all, which would really stink, but I guess time and money matter in this world.  Trying to get some tech help, but if I can't figure something out, I may have to cancel, which I really don't want to do.

EDIT: Encouraging news: Even if VirtualDub doesn't seem to be working, I am getting an accurate preview in OBS at full 29.97 fps (technically 30, since the software doesn't permit 29.97, but it's my understanding 30 FPS is acceptable.)
Nice! I saw your test streams through the past broadcasts. It seems to work perfectly as far as I can tell. You can always export the video to youtube directly through twitch and then save them that way (in worst case scenario). As long as the stream is getting the video/audio it should be fine.

The best way to get less strain on your computer is to use the "ultrafast" and Process Priority "IDLE" under the ADVANCED tab in OBS. That way you will put as little strain as possible on your computer and get 30 FPS without any problem, though the quality will suffer. You can always test it until you see where the limit is.

If you get the audio to work in OBS through VirtualDub or by any other means, then you can just record and stream at the same time from OBS. The quality is usually really good (2000kbit/sec should be fine for PS1 games).
Edit history:
Drifting Skies: 2015-02-12 10:49:53 pm
Drifting Skies: 2015-02-12 10:29:19 pm
steak Steak STEAK!!!
Unfortunately, there was about 50 ms of latency introduced by my video splitter, which is making the slots unworkable for me (they seemed to be about two character rotations late when I pressed the button, compared with my timing before).  I've ordered a PS1/2 cable with S-Video on Amazon, so I can hopefully tell the splitter and those latency frames to shove it before my full-game run, though I will have to make sure to test it to make sure everything is in order before the full game stream, though there won't be an issue when I do the Zeto speedrun on Saturday  I think the audio was working fine after awhile; I was getting some stream echo, which went away after I muted my computer.

Right now, being able to stream and upload a decent quality video is a higher priority than recording to SDA standards.  My hope (and I mean this in the best possible way) is that I will take your Legaia 1 SS WR here in two weeks, but I need to do some tests to make sure the slots are in order (My big route change is leveling only to 11 before Berserker by using an Earth Jewel strategy, Point Card on Xain, and skip the grinding to 14, which should save an hour or so.  Actually, I may do a little test stream of just the Berserker fight tonight or tomorrow morning.

EDIT: I don't have a file at the start of Sebucus, so I'm working from a file in West Voz.  Turns out that as long as I can get a Nighto confuse on T1 or 2, the Viguro fight is super safe at levels 8 / 7 / 6, so I think I will actually run it at 7/7/5 in the actual attempt.  I will probably do Caruban at 5/5, since 4/4 is really risky and it's what I do for segmented; the extra 60 HP and 5 defense really makes the fight much safer.

EDIT 2: Songi is really safe at L7, if Gala has Mei's Pendant and the Defense +20% accessories, he survives two of Songi's attacks even at L6, so I don't really need to grind after the Viguro fight.  Strategy is 2x Theeder L2 and a Thunder Punch (or Point Card for maximum safety); Theeder deals about 400-450 damage, so it's pretty safe and it's a quick three round fight without needing to spend 14 turns healing.
steak Steak STEAK!!!
Did some more streaming this afternoon; there's some fights of Berserker, Songi 2, and me Point Card'ing Xain into oblivion, because that fight is not safe at level 11 whatsoever.

Berserker can be fought at level 9 with Earth Jewels, and Songi 2 is beatable at level 12 with Ebony Jewels (they're pretty safe as long as you heal frequently), though that fight is slow as molasses due to his 12,888 HP and takes about 20 rounds of combat.  I'm not sure if it's worth gaining one more level for a bit of safety for the Songi 2 fight.  Unfortunately, probably the single biggest RNG hoop is coming up with the Kemaro fight; this will determine if Saryu and Dohati are really quick or really slow, since a 2,000 damage magic spell is very potent throughout the whole game.
Oh, that sucks mate. I hope it will get fixed with the S-video solution.

I am watching your Past Broadcast right now (very nice that I can go back and watch if I missed the stream).

Well, the biggest issue with lower level characters before Xain was the low damage output on the following bosses. The boss battles felt kind of long. I guess we have to find a sweet spot for the leveling. I guess leveling up to about 11-12 before Berserker wouldn't be bad. Especially with the Theeder strat farming. If you manage to get by though, then it will be very tough for someone to beat it (so that's a plus).

If you are aiming to get the perfect run, I guess Kemaro(s) have to be captured or reset. I don't know exactly how much time would be lost, but maybe 5 minutes in total on both those battles, maybe even more?

Are you going for RTA (Save/Load accepted) or Single-Segment (Saves accepted, but no loading). The difference is huge. I mean the prestige in beating the game without really using a memory card. ;-)
steak Steak STEAK!!!
I'm going for RTA because the slots are absolutely critical for the route (Xain isn't really a safe fight until L14-15) and the fastest way to try again if I miss all three of my chances is to reload a save file right outside Vidna.  Of course, if I manage to pull it off here and not need to reset, great.  There is a glitch (maybe only on my disc?) where the game softlocks for me if I use attack magic on Gaza 2 right before Gaza takes his attack, and Gaza chooses to use a physical attack (i.e. not Astral Wave or N.S. Slash)

Trying again for Kemaro costs about 5 minutes since there's all that cutscene stuff and I can acquire it in the Sol basement if need be, so I only lose out on that for Saryu and Dohati (and therefore, it's not worth trying multiple times for that).  Not getting Kemaro probably costs 10 minutes or so, though, unfortunately.  But by this point, Noa's damage output is quite a bit better than it is at level 10-11.

The Berserker fight at level 9 seemed really safe to me; I didn't feel particularly threatened, though it seems like it would be faster to go to Octam first, get Orb, and get the War Soul at the Vidna slots before coming back to Jeremi.  On the other hand, that Speed Ring on Noa really shoots up your escape odds.

With the Ivory Book, it's a 45% accrual chance, so there's a 69.75% chance that Vahn will absorb it given two chances. 

I have been able to adjust my timing and I was doing pretty close to my normal slot rates when I was streaming today.  It's a 2 frame window and even then, the game seems to drop a frame every once in awhile.
For Berserker, even in RTA< is it not worth going just nighto on him?  Your odds of a confuse are still strong on turn 1 even if you don't kill, and then spamming it has a good shot of killing faster than fighting, no?

Really hope you can stream at some point. 

Note for RTAing slots, is it not safer to just use actual cash to buy like 20 more coins to give you 9 shots at winning slots instead of 3? 
steak Steak STEAK!!!
The problem is that it's a 1/16 chance of a kill with L1 Nighto and in expectation, it could take countless resets to successfully pull it off.  As shown in the practice video, even at level 9, as long as you have Earth Jewels and the Defender Chain on each character, he's not particularly threatening, though it may save 2-3 turns if I do the stuff in Vidna and Octam first and get some better weapons and gain another level before actually fighting Berserker.  In expectation, it would take 8 turns and cost multiple Magic Leaves, and the fight doesn't last much longer than that already.  With a War Soul, Noa's damage output is 650+ each turn, and Vahn can do a fair amount of damage already.  Remember that Nighto's animation isn't exactly fast either.  Yes, this would be the fastest way, but I don't think it saves much time in expectation, and I'd rather go for a consistent strategy, even if it is slightly slower (1-2 minutes?) on average.

Buying 20 coins is slightly safer, but I'm not 100% sure that I would have 2000G on hand at that point in the run, and even then, there's a slight chance I don't get a jackpot in 10 rounds either (my success rate is somewhere around 25-30% and that's even with all the practice and setup I put into lining the reels up).  Plus, there's the text box to purchase the coins as well, which takes at least a few second anyway, and I'd need to buy more items to make up that G, which again is another time loss.  I don't think it saves as much time as one might think.

Anyway, I think I'm going to stream the back half of Sebucus through Sol Tower today, because I could use the practice for single-segment strategies.