page  <- 123456789101112131415 -> <- 1 .. 9 .. 15 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Deathtome: 2014-10-12 05:30:37 pm
OK, so my first RTA ended at 19:32:16 (beating Cort). I wasted a lot of time on a few things throughout the run (died a few times, tried to get spoon for 30 mins without success, died twice in Muscle Dome and so on) so I am not really satisfied with the run.

So now we finally know how long a single-segment would take. Also my in-game timer was at 16:25 at the Final Save if anyone wants to know.
"Let's put a SMILE on that face!"
Have you tried doing any less of the level grinding (the ~4 hours or so before Berserker) to see how it goes with lower levels?  It seems like you could probably do without some of that, but I wasn't able to watch all of the run (the fact that you died in Muscle Dome may mean you can't do that, but I don't know).
Edit history:
Deathtome: 2014-10-12 05:31:41 pm
Deathtome: 2014-08-29 10:19:46 am
Deathtome: 2014-08-29 10:19:32 am
Deathtome: 2014-08-29 10:19:21 am
Deathtome: 2014-08-29 10:19:07 am
Deathtome: 2014-08-29 10:17:05 am
Deathtome: 2014-08-29 10:16:14 am
Deathtome: 2014-08-29 10:15:53 am
Deathtome: 2014-08-29 10:15:28 am
Deathtome: 2014-08-25 04:10:42 am
Re-routed the whole game: New Estimate: 17 hours
Edit history:
Deathtome: 2014-10-12 05:32:32 pm
Hello mates,

I improved the time down to 14:45:40! I don't know what to say anymore. Sub 14 is possible, maybe even sub 13 in the future.

Well, I was not expecting to save THAT much time. I can say that I am quite happy with the time as of now.
I usually just read threads and whatnot, but I had to register when I saw this take off Smiley

14:45 is definitely impressive, especially your Drake Kingdom (under 3 hours)!!!! I must say though, I know it's rough (and long!) but I think I may have a few pointers to help (I only skipped through to bosses; 14 hours is a long speedrun):

1. Some bosses have elemental weaknesses - for example, Xain, is a fire-based sim-seru. Meaning that any water based anything (Noa or seru) would damage him more than say, Vahn would. Another example is Berserker (I believe, I haven't played this game in a year) - try fire-based attacks from Vahn or Gimard lv. 9/Zenoir lv. whatever/I heard Nighto works (like the strat you killed Vigaro x2)
2. Item optimization - I noticed a couple times that you seemed to be lacking healing items/items to replenish your MP to heal (Zeto, Koru) - maybe come up with a number to try and always have and the further you are away from town to keep that in mind
3. Gala: He is the strongest magic caster - utilize him more if you can!

Thats it for now, this is awesome and I believe with utilization and more runs that this can be sub-14:00 Smiley

Cheers!
Ooh wow, missed these updates!  Sweet!

Couple things.  One, GeminiX, Xain is actually earth-based, but he's bugged!  What do I mean as bugged?  Well, while Gala takes less damage (his secondary element is earth) and Noa does more damage (Primary element: wind), the earth jewel has no effect on bloody horns or terio punch, making jewels useless for him. 

Deaththome, I need to watch your RTA, but a few things:
1.  Are you using the new skip to get the Evil Talisman early?  It also functions a a good luck bell which you can get earlier than the only other one in the game, which would save you time by a bit. 
2.  Really suggest you post on legendoflegaia.net's forums - they have a bunch of really active guys, including one who does some minor TASing work, which can help. 
3.  Getting to level 18/18/18 before Xain and Berserker is WAY overleveling...you can beat both bosses at 14/14/14 easily.  I need to watch how you level, because you seem to do it fast, but even so, massive time to be saved.  With elemental jewels, there's no reason to be anywhere over level 14 before xain, and afterwards the jewels make the rest of the game easy.
You're so right, garik16! I think I got too excited and didn't actually check it out, my bad and thanks for clearing it up Smiley

I agree that 18/18/18 is overleveling and that 14/14/14 should suffice - I defeated Van Saryu 13/14/14 and even though it was a challenge, it can happen pretty quickly with the right equipment. Efficient optimization of items (jewels, HP/MP healing items, stat boosters, etc.) will be your best friend post-Drake Kingdom.

Is there a full TAS? I couldn't find one when I searched
Yo guys! Smiley

I will try to lower the levels mate and see what happens. The thing is that it takes about a week for me to re-route everytime (to do proper testing). So it really takes a lot of time to go through these things. The reason why I level quite a lot is because of gold (and a bit because it will be faster killing all the bosses). The question is how well I can get away with 14/14/13 or 15/15/14 goldwise. I will actually make a try and see what happens.

1. Yeah, I get the Evil Talisman after the boss (7:05 in my video). I found a nice way to get the skip within 30 seconds. Smiley
2. I will see if I can get some useful info there.
3. I hope you are right. I still felt I was short on gold, but it might work. If I want to buy all the jewels in Octam (Underground) before Xain, then I need to make sure that I have enough gold to buy everything. I know that a 14/14 party would lack gold to buy equipment. Even now I only had gold to buy the damage upgrades (boots). Well, as long as I can kill the bosses without anyone dying. All I need to do is to get to Sol Tower. If I get to Sol tower without any trouble with a 14/14 setup, it WILL work. If I get there, it is all GG. I buy the necessary equipment there to get through pretty much the rest. So let's pray it works. I might still go for a 15/15 party before Xain just to be sure.

Anyone know if Gaza (1) is any easier with his Aerial Slash if you have Light Jewels? He is INCREDIBLY difficult. He one-hits me to death everytime (without Jewels).
Yes, Light Jewel halves his damage and makes him a joke.

And you really don't need to buy any jewels BEFORE Xain (again, Xain is immune to their effects in pretty much all relevant ways).  After Xain, you only need 3 ebony jewels (Songi2, Van Saryu, Dohati are all dark element) and after those bosses, in aboveground Octam you can buy the light jewels you need for Gaza1 and lu delilas. 

Regarding gold, again, the best solution here is probably either learning how to use the slot machine (Getting 2K coins even in Real time in about 30 minutes is VERY doable, even if it takes a little bit to get your first bonus game) and even if you don't want to do that, you should have enough for the necessary jewels at the necessary points.  You really don't need to upgrade your characters' equipment if you have the jewels.  Like at all.  (Seriously, in my segmented run, I don't upgrade weapons basically at all except for Noa's prior to Xain, and I'm at 10/10/10.  You'll be at level 14 each.  You're fine). 

And the speed increase killing bosses doesnt justify HOURS of grinding, which is what you're doing atm according to the splits (I haven't had the chance to watch your full run).

There's no reason you can't get a 12 hour + run once you remove the needless grinding.  And even if you want to grind to 14/14 (and I'd recommend 13/13 since Berserker will get you to 14/14), you'll save a ton of time.   
You are absolutely right that I can purchase jewels when I am re-visiting Octam (before traveling to Sol). I will re-route one last time and see what I can accomplish. I guess I will have to buy 3x Light Jewels and then sell 2 of them shortly after.

I am truly awful at Slots mate... It would help out a lot, but I just don't want to rely on my reel luck. I have difficulty even hitting Tifa's 1st "YEAH!" slot in FF7 (LOL!). I will leave it up to anyone else who wants to try it. Smiley

I am really putting my trust in you now. I want to believe I can get through the game without/barely any equipment and rely on jewels.

I think Berserker would be quite tough at level 13, to be honest. The only viable strategy at that level would be to use Nighto, which should work, but I prefer to beat him without having to rely on luck. The Amulet is right outside so that one char can attack without getting ROT status.

It will take me a while to re-route. I am VERY busy IRL, but I'll try to make it happen soon.
Edit history:
GeminiX: 2014-09-08 04:47:10 pm
I, too, am busy irl (just moved, new job, work nights now.. ahh)

BUT... Berserker isn't that tough at 12/12/12.
vahn . forest amulet, defender chain, mei's pendant
noa . speed ring, mettle ring, defender chain
gala . defender chain, azure jewel, scarlet jewel

just keep gala spamming theeder and vahn & noa attacking and keep everyone's HP over 350-400
hopefully rng is nice to you and only hits vahn with rot and stone circle once

I was working on strategies for sebucus islands and have beserker down, currently working on Xain (who I think is going to be the real challenge)
Regarding Berserker and nighto, it's really not that lucky that you need to be. 

Here's how Nighto works:

Quote:
Level 1 - 6.25% death 43.75% confuse
Level 2 - 6.6175% death 46.3225% confuse
Level 3 - 7.03125% death 49.21875% confuse
Level 4 - 7.5% death 52.5% confuse
Level 5 - 8.036% death 56.25% confuse
Level 6 - 8.65375% death 60.57625% confuse
Level 7 - 9.375% death 65.625% confuse
Level 8 - 10.2275% death 71.5925% confuse
Level 9 - 11.25% death 78.75% confuse

Thus even at L1, you're very likely to confuse Berserker and get multiple other tries at confusing him.  And you get a lot of shots at it - so doing it within 4 turns with everyone or just two characters firing off nightos is particularly common. 

By contrast, nighto=ing the viguros is obviously dumb for single segment.  But Berserker is fine. 
Thanks Gemini, I appreciate you helping out! I will try to beat Berserker with a party of level 13/14 to see how it goes.

I try to avoid having to reset Garik. If I go YOLO with Nightos and it fails, I would have to load a save file (which I want to avoid). 6% chance is quite low still. The mana would be the problem, I guess. Also the attack animation is quite long to be honest. Imagine if I have to use 10-15 Nightos. I don't believe it would be efficient. Smiley It was my original strategy, but I later changed it since Berserker doesn't have too much HP.

I think I will have a run done by the end of October or November. We'll see when I am done with my current projects. ;-)
It's really not that low - remember, it's 6.25% to kill, but if you fail to kill, odds are good you confuse, so berserker does nothing and lets you try again. 

I'm following you on twitch at this point just to see if you do stream the game.
Alright, I will give it a shot. I am currently at the part where I am leveling up my characters to level 14. I will make my practice public if you want to step in and look what is happening. I think I will do a full run soon.

Well, I will definetly give it a shot. I will check for possible back-up strategies if it happens to backfire.

Thanks for the follow mate, I appreciate it. Just step in when you see some Legaia (if you want). I know you have good insight of the game. Smiley
haha, i see from my email you were streaming last night....and I was offline due to the Jewish Holiday.  Hope you're not done streaming any time soon!
Yeah mate, I was streaming for 9 hours! I wanted to re-route the whole game in one sitting. So now that I am done, I am anxious to run soon. Smiley

The good news:
+ I can beat the game somewhat reliably if I stop leveling up at 14. I was STILL having some issues with Xain's attacks. However, after Xain there were no real threats anymore.
+ I would then also level up once after every boss battle (which is why I want to be level 14 before I kill Berserker). I didn't do much practice for Berserker, but I saw Nighto kill Berserker after 3 tries. That seemed very good! I hope I will be that lucky in a real attempt. If there would be any problems, I can just re-load the saved file from the Garden. Smiley
+ Thanks to the Evil Seru Magic, I can now kill every boss after I reach level 26 with it.

Bad News:
- Thanks to the increased danger level, I might break the Single-Segment rule of no loads. I am sure I will die at some place during the game, which is fine. I guess if I do a few runs, I can get through eventually without dying.

I am so happy I did this. Route is now closer to what it should be. I am hoping for sub 13 at least on my next run! Smiley I will run this next weekend. Friday or Saturday is my guess. Smiley
Excellent!  Put a post in here when you roughly decide on what day, I'd love to watch live. 
Congrats Deathtome on the 12:22:08!  Told you you could cut so much!  Still think you can improve by doing some riskier lower leveling strats, but REALLY NICE.

Please highlight this so I can watch the full thing!  (And submit if you want to)
Edit history:
Deathtome: 2014-10-11 11:59:25 am
Deathtome: 2014-10-11 11:58:44 am
Deathtome: 2014-10-11 11:56:40 am
Deathtome: 2014-10-11 11:54:00 am
Deathtome: 2014-10-11 11:43:33 am
Legend of Legaia Single-Segment 12:22:08 (Real-Time) 11:40:56 (In-Game Time)

Part 1:

Part 2:

Thank you, Garik! I see this go under 12 hours with good RNG while using the exact same route as I did here. The shopping was sometimes improvised due to lack of gold. If someone beats this time in a Single-Segment, I will return to get this down even further. Smiley I want to start Legaia 2 and other projects before I make a return to Legaia 1. I will eventually return and get that 11:59 or whatever I find to be close to perfection. ;-) I have no useful notes for this run since I improvised much of it, so I will have to look at this run myself next time I plan to run the game (and maybe even improve the route). I have provided you guys with some good quality videos of the run. I hope you enjoy them!

PS. I truly abused the Evil Talisman to heaven this time! (Part 1: 6:10:45 to see how I perform the "Guard Skip" to get the Evil Talisman AKA Juggernaut)
Edit history:
Deathtome: 2015-01-07 08:07:15 am
Wow, it's only been a bit over a month? Hmm, it felt like months ago since I did this! Haha, I am going to return now. It's time to get that sub 12 hours. If I accomplish that, I will probably submit the time. It's going to be tough to save 22 minutes, but I have re-done the route once again and feel like this is the final route. I should be able to save at least 10 minutes overall on the route. With good RNG I should get the sub 12.

I hope I will accomplish the goal before 2015. I will give you guys an update when it's done. ;-)

EDIT:

I will wait until someone beats my time (on a console in a Single Segment), but I can give my new estimate end-time as of today; My latest route will end up with a 11:30 time, but I won't reveal any of the secret strats until my previous run is beaten. Cheesy One of the reasons is that it will be hard to pull off. Many runs will die early on (first 3-4 hours).
Edit history:
Drifting Skies: 2015-01-15 11:14:52 pm
Drifting Skies: 2015-01-15 09:12:38 pm
Drifting Skies: 2015-01-15 09:12:19 pm
steak Steak STEAK!!!
I'm going to use a Phoenix on this topic.

I'm finally getting my lazy backside back on my couch in front of this game and will be working on the speedrun of Legaia that I had been planning to work on for the last two years, but never got around to. Unfortunately, I don't see myself running this game single-segment at any point because I'm not sure I will ever get a chance to get 12 or so consecutive hours in a row to work on it, but I figure I will have some time every now and then to work on a segmented run.  I've been getting a bunch of routing done, and I'm pretty confident that with a segmented run, the game can be taken pretty close to the 8 hour mark; I don't think 7:5x:xx is out of the realm of possibility with extreme optimization and a ton of luck, although I understand that's still an hour longer than is allowed for this site normally.

At this point, I'm working on Zeto's Dungeon, entering right around the 1 hour, 27 minute mark.  I think there's room for improvement in the Viguro fight there to bring it to the 1:25:xx range.  Also trying to get a money route going, since G optimization is going to be critical through the end of Drake Kingdom (after that, it's a question of how long you need to play the slots).

----
EDIT: It's worth taking some time to mention how the in-game timer works. As far to my knowledge, it's mostly accurate, except:
1) It doesn't seem to increment while in the Muscle Dome arena.
2) If you are starting a new game, it actually increments while you are on the title screen. Try waiting at the title screen for ten minutes or so and then starting a new game.  Once you get control of Vahn and can see the game timer, it will actually read 11:xx (or whatever).  I don't know if either of these are commonly known things here.

EDIT 2: After a very clean Zeto fight on the first go around, Drake Kingdom is cleared at 1:45:30.  I think this puts me on track for something in the 7:4x:xx range; I think Sebucus can be cleared in about 2:00 to 2:05 of in-game time, and there's about four hours of the run after that.  As a reference, I have an old file from a previous testrun before the Juggernaut Room glitch was discovered that is at the Noaru Valley save point in 9:28:xx, and that wasn't fully optimized. I estimate the Juggernaut Room glitch saves about an hour and a half between reduced encounters and use of ESM on bosses.  I'm not spilling all my secrets, but I think there's some good strategies that will make sub-8 hours very attainable.
Edit history:
Drifting Skies: 2015-01-18 10:38:13 pm
Drifting Skies: 2015-01-16 06:47:58 pm
steak Steak STEAK!!!
As a proof of concept for the route I am working on, I want to go ahead and post this screenshot of the pause menu; the G counter and # of coins are the important part.  In short, it's very possible to get 20,000 coins in 10-12 minutes (Better luck and I can probably get it down to 7 minutes, but I'll save that for after I get the ability to capture the run, since I don't want to do a whole bunch of slot machine segments in what is likely to be only a serious testrun.), and I believe the optimal route (or at least, the best route I've managed to come up with) involves getting around 21,000 coins during the run to buy armor, equipment, and building up the Point Card for a few bosses down the road.

(Yes, Berserker is dead and Pepe has been talked to; the next stop is Octam to trigger the Star Pearl get and absorb Orb, and then it's off to the Shadow Gate.)

(For RTA Purposes: If you don't mind maybe doing some Save & Reloading to get the first bonus game, you should be able to get 20,000 - 30,000 coins within 20-30 minutes.)

EDIT again: I've managed to save another minute and a half on the slot machines; just about to head to the Fire Path at 2:37:11. I have 8,800 points to use on Xain; it's a bit lower than the 9,000 I would like, but it should be sufficient for beating him with a little luck.  If all goes as I predict, Xain should fall by the 2:45 and I should be in Ratayu around 2:51; this puts me well on pace for a 3:45-3:50 clear of Sebucus.  I should make sure to get closer to 25,000 coins in the actual run, though.

Hey Drifiting, this is basically around where I was.  Course I wasn't going the full point card root of killing xain, because i felt that if i used point card to kill any bosses, its faster technically to kill ALL bosses using it, thus creating a speedrun thats a bit boring to me.
steak Steak STEAK!!!
I don't think it's necessarily optimal to kill all the bosses with the Point Card.  After Songi, you get access to Kemaro magic and then after Van Saryu, you get ESM, so it's no longer necessarily optimal to kill all the bosses with the Point Card, factoring into consideration how long it takes to harvest coins.

Right now, I think that there are four bosses that should be killed with the Point Card: Xain, Songi 2, Che Delilas, and Cort 2.  For most of the others, I don't think it's correct to do so, since ESM deals around 5,000 damage and Kemaro deals 2,000+.  Unfortunately, at level 10, Songi 2 is an incredibly slow (15+ minute) boss battle, so it's six of one, half-a-dozen of the other as far as boring boss battles.

I will say that the Van Saryu segment (Starting it at around 3:12; Mt. Letona save point is around 2:52) is nasty because there are so many things that have to go right in the Kemaro fight just to survive it, let alone to make sure that you absorb Kemaro with both characters - with the Ivory Book, it's a 45% chance for each.  I think it's probably wise to have a couple of Earth Jewels for that fight.  If I do use the Point Card on Songi 2, then it's probably a 2:58 clear of Songi 2, Van Saryu is dead at 3:13-15, and Dohati probably falls around the 3:30 mark, setting the pace for a 7:30 clear time.

(One wonders if there's merit in having a Point Card / No Point Card route as side-by-side categories, because it would noticeably change the gameplay, routing, and so forth.)