--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
DemonStrate: 2009-02-19 10:33:05 pm
If we were you, we would quit now.
Quote from Lazylen:
cool.  how do you do it?  just jamming space?  I wasn't able to do any infected acrobatics near release, but maybe that's changed (one spot I could get to was above the subway entrance in NM1)

Find a spot you want to get up to. Stand on something that is slightly higher than the zombies. Thats about it. Also, to get zombies to a certain point, use a pipe bomb. Then, just jump off the crowd.

Examples:
http://rapidshare.com/files/200240534/dt2_eventskip3.dem.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/200240683/dt3_endskip.dem.html
fuck you i wont do what you tell me
so the idea is to have enough zombies beneath you that not all of them die when you jump on their heads (because you move quickly enough)?
Quote from Lazylen:
so the idea is to have enough zombies beneath you that not all of them die when you jump on their heads (because you move quickly enough)?

Um... Also note that in the second demo, I only use 1 zombie.
fuck you i wont do what you tell me
Quote from DemonStrate:
Quote from Lazylen:

Um... Also note that in the second demo, I only use 1 zombie.

I don't know how to run .dem files D:

do you just jump quickly?
Quote from Lazylen:
I don't know how to run .dem files D:

shift + f2 and you should be able to work out watching demos from there
So... I was thinking that a speed run of the campaigns would be interesting if done with a hunter instead of being a survivor. The routes would be so bad ass. Plus, you can use the glitch to pounce through walls too. Bad ass.
Anyone thought of this lately? With the new meele fatigue it's going to be harder, not only that but I have planned a route through the first level and last level of Death Toll, including the meele fatigue so it won't be much of a problem, but the other levels are harder. I think i'm close to figuring out a path for level 4 of Death Toll too.
Quote from Darknight_lo:
Anyone thought of this lately? With the new meele fatigue it's going to be harder, not only that but I have planned a route through the first level and last level of Death Toll, including the meele fatigue so it won't be much of a problem, but the other levels are harder. I think i'm close to figuring out a path for level 4 of Death Toll too.

There is no melee fatigue in campaign mode.

Anyway, this would be a strange one to speed run, unless SDA were to accept the condition of kicking bots. I've soloed a couple of campaigns by kicking the bots immediately and playing through the 5 chapters alone, but it's not what you'd call a natural option. You have to do it through the console. So for a true speed run of this game, you'd either have to find 4 like-minded players, or see if SDA would accept the condition of kicking bots for a true solo run. You can't run it with the bots obviously, as they would never be able to keep up and you'd wind up sitting in the safe room for eons waiting on them to die (or make it on their own).

If the condition of kicking bots were accepted, a speed run of this game would absolutely be possible. In my second full attempt of death toll (not even speed running) I finished in the 40 minute range with 2 restarts due to hunter pounces. With a lot of practice and some good luck, I believe you could break into the 20's on at least a couple of the campaigns.
Yeah I know about the meele fatigue and how its not in campaign, however I had already found DT routes and they didn't use much meele spam, so before I knew about no campaign meele fatigue I had already had the routes down, good thing though. Now I can meele spam all I wan't in campaign making routes much easier to find.
Just tried solo Blood Harvest for the first time (on easy) and had a relatively good go at it. Final talley here. I'd call it a rush, but not necessarily a speed run. The restart was halfway through the finale (missed a hunter pounce  >:(), so with no restarts that's a sub-29 time without much speed run finesse. I'm beginning to think that the 4 campaigns combined could be sub 1-hour.

My computer and patience aren't really up to the task of a recorded speed run right now, but it's definitely doable and if anyone takes on the project I'd be happy to help.
Edit history:
Roy_Hess: 2009-05-05 03:42:02 am
unemployed Dragon
I've done a single segment walkthrough on the free Left 4 Dead day, on 01. march.

And it was the first time i have played that game, which took me <4h to complete it in single player with random characters. (Already recorded and encoded in HQ 4.2GB H264)
But havent uploaded it somewhere, would take too long with only 70KB/sec upload.

I have already ordered the uncut version for speedrunning L4D in SinglePlayer on Easy, later maybe - for real banging - on expert.
All runs will be single segment, no cuts between map transitions.

I think with real rushing every map is possible within 30 min in SP.

If thou need one additional player for your coop speedrun, Ill be available.
Problem would be that I have a job, I cant be available all the time.
Shouldn't you all be using the original version of the game? There are so many exploits possible from the retail version. This run wouldn't be optimized otherwise the original game version is used IMO. I'm sure if we took some time to search around in that version of the game, we could find some really great time savers and glitches to make a run not just "Look at me, I'm running down the street. Now, I'm running in a house. Now, I'm running more... etc." Most of the crescendo events should be skip-able in the original version. Most of the finales should have 'jesus' spots in the original version. I had found one on every finale if I remember correctly. I would be very disappointed if you spend your time doing a run of this game on anything newer than the original version of this game.
XXY
Quote from DemonStrate:
I would be very disappointed if you spend your time doing a run of this game on anything newer than the original version of this game.

Me as well. I ran through the game by myself on the newest version, and it was impossibly boring. Fast I guess, but absolutely boring. Retail version FTW. One thing I would pay good money to see, would be if someone remade the entire Left 4 Dead campaign on the original Half-Life engine, then if someone ran it. Goddamn Cheesy
Just to let you know NM on expert me and 2 friends got 21 minutes ( no exploits not even roof jump ) so with exploits I could easily see, 15 minute runs.
Quote from slYnki:
...would be if someone remade the entire Left 4 Dead campaign on the original Half-Life engine, then if someone ran it. Goddamn Cheesy

Wait, I thought Left 4 dead WAS based on the Half-llife engine? I thought this game was created after the devs was having fun killing of knife-bots in CSS..?

Or are you refering to the REAL ORIGINAL halflife 1 (one!) engine?
Quote from uberubert:
Quote from slYnki:
...would be if someone remade the entire Left 4 Dead campaign on the original Half-Life engine, then if someone ran it. Goddamn Cheesy

Wait, I thought Left 4 dead WAS based on the Half-llife engine? I thought this game was created after the devs was having fun killing of knife-bots in CSS..?

Or are you refering to the REAL ORIGINAL halflife 1 (one!) engine?

See this chart:
http://satgnu.net/upload/lava/Quake_-_family_tree.png

The engine that says "Half-Life" just right of QuakeWorld is the engine he is talking about. Source is for Half-Life 2 and newer.
"Time to go to work..."
Actually it's known as the GoldSrc engine, if we want to be pedantic about it.
Also he *did* correct himself about the Half-Life 1 engine bit. "Or are you refering to the REAL ORIGINAL halflife 1 (one!) engine?"
It's just that re-making Left 4 Dead in GoldSrc didn't make much sense to him.
So, the real question: Switching the somewhat up-to-date Source engine with a decade old engine makes sense, uh, how...?
Hey, nice chart! I had no idea that so much stuff originated somehow from Quake Cheesy

Anyways, I bet this thread is already getting way too off-topic.. so.. Any new progress/plans/whatever for running this game?
XXY
Yeah, I meant the engine for Half-Life 1. I was playing Left 4 Dead Versus awhile back, and I thought about how fun it would be to bunnyhop through those levels, using the tau cannon to boost places, damage boosts... Just a fun idea of mine.
Tau cannon+bunnyhop+grenade jump>tank boosting
that's his logic, i guess
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
I would like to ask two questions about a left 4 dead speed run...

Since Left 4 dead is multiplatform, I would prefer to play on the 360 since I feel I perform better with a controller than a keyboard... However I don't know if I'm allowed to post left 4 dead in the newer consoles since it was already started in the PC games... would I be able to do that or should I just keep all talks about left 4 dead in the PC games?

Also a game like left 4 dead is meant to be played with 4 players, (that goes without saying)... though this game is evil when you play solo since your AI friends seem more interested in shooting zombies than getting into the safe room at times... Just humming to myself getting a bite while I see them stalling and even getting into trouble with not jumping over a ledge...  Don't get me wrong, a speed run with 4 people playing at the same time would be one of the most epic runs considering you have 4 different play styles and all 4 working together to not only survive the zombie infestation, but for having a speed run that features 4 players at one time...

But that is my other question... How would the recording work in this type of game? I can imagine that people could easily cheat if you have only one recorder and the other three are doing other things to "bend the rules" when there is no way to actually find that out if say the recorder is attacked, vomited on, or killed... the action would be focused on one person while the other three are MIA if the recorder isn't looking at them... meanwhile at the same time, I don't know if there should be 4 consecutive recorders at the same time or how that would even work... I can imagine that either we have an edit of all four players playing in an edited split screen, or if you have a way to switch between players while watching the video... It would be fun to see how that would be...
There is no victory without combat
I would very much recommend the PC Version for recording, because there is a build in record program in the source engine. And it even doesn't drain much ressources, so it is kinda ideal...but if you wanna do a 4 Player Speedrun on console, you have to record every screen of every player. It is not important if you record 2 screens, which have both Splitscreen, or if you have 4 individual screens, but it is important that every single moment of every player is "kept on film".
So it depends only on convenience... .
Have you guys started to do some organizing, like forming groups/teams et.c ?
(am to lazy to read the entire thread)
(user is banned)
Edit history:
Spider-Waffle: 2009-07-09 02:40:37 am
Don't think!  feeeeeal
Do you guys think someone(s) could write some type of steam hack that would let you play online amongst other people with the hack without needing updates?  I know people wrote their own battlenet which can do similar.